• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Just got it on psn with the sale that was going on.

Finished the plane part I think and then I had to stop. For some reason I thought the game was just 10 gbs.......

Currently downloading 40 gigs lol

H4r4kiri

Well I think you people think I am crazy or something, but when I play the game I always get dizzy and headaches. I play the ps4 version btw. I never had that in my Life with no game. Even Destiny is not a problem with the low FoV.

So what could it be that makes me so weird while playing it ? Is it the extremely low FoV ? The weird weapon perceptive ? What could it be ?

It sound weird I know, but this is the only Game I have this problem. I tried a 42 inch and a 50 inch Tv and have problems with both.

I just finished the game, and I was really enjoying it up until the end. Some of the level design was great, and the ability to start off stealthy and finish off guns blazing was fun. But the last couple of levels bored me to tears, it was just waves of enemies one after another until you fight the final tedious giant bullet sponge. It kind of shocked me how much I hated the last couple of chapters as I was really enjoying it up until then.

That final boss was frustrating.
Running around all the burning/flame pipes made it doubly difficult. I would run and hide near a recharger and then risk dying trying to see the boss through the flames and smoke. Grrrr ... Almost walked away at this point.

Cheers

nampad

Just started to play it and I couldn't even finish the first level as I got motion sick. Barely happens to me but this game made my head go dizzy and I feel nauseous.
Playing the PS4 version, what do you think is the problem? I guess headbobbing because I hate that and small FOV? At least the former should have been an option in game.

Quite a shame because after the good word of mouth the game got, I was really looking forward to playing an old school shooter again. Though I have to say some things were too old school for my taste even in my short experience of it. The pick ups should have been automated as it feels weird to do it with the controller, you are constantly scanning the ground.

Also had issues with the sound mixing. I think the dialogues are mixed not loud enough, you can barely hear anything and there is no way to change it. Somehow, the subtitles setting also don't work right for me. I hate subtitles if I can understand the language because they always make me look at them so I choose foreign only. Still, English dialogue is shown quite often.
Maybe it is because I imported the French version? Playing it on my console set to English works fine. Do I need to activate the subtitle settings at all? I can speak both English and German so as long as both of those languages are the only ones, I am fine.

I started playing Wolfenstein TNO (PS4) and it is a really fun game. However I think the Soundmix is really really bad. I tried it on my Astros and my Soundbar and the Voices are far far to low, while all other Sounds are loud. It is hard to understand your teammates and germans in that game, because the dialouge and the voices are too silent.

Any other has this problem ? :(

Well I think you people think I am crazy or something, but when I play the game I always get dizzy and headaches. I play the ps4 version btw. I never had that in my Life with no game. Even Destiny is not a problem with the low FoV.

So what could it be that makes me so weird while playing it ? Is it the extremely low FoV ? The weird weapon perceptive ? What could it be ?

It sound weird I know, but this is the only Game I have this problem. I tried a 42 inch and a 50 inch Tv and have problems with both.

At least I am not the only one with the motion sickness and sound mixing complaint.

Had bought it with my GCU coupon a few weeks back and just started today. First chapter done. Pretty solid so far. I think something is wrong with my controller because I can't control anything properly.

Davide

I've played it once so far and had this too, and I've never had it with any other game.

Jintor

Wrapped it after about a week playing. Been really fun. Way more enjoyable than I thought it would be, but still some weird bits.

Also the animation bug with the dialogue running ahead of the animation got a little irritating.

The use of language was great though, I love that in games.

/edit it shames me to say that I've lost my fps skills because I was having a bit of difficult near the end on normal :<

I just beat this and really liked it so let me complain about it.

-
The identity of the game was hard to place. Like it couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Fast vs slow. Action vs stealth. Serious or dudebro. Even the music seemed out of place at times.

-
I couldn't decide if the VA performace for BJ was brillant or terrible. It hit its mark but sometimes I felt a real dissonance with the tone of the voice and the world around him. Even when he was speaking, not just thinking.

-
All the Nazis in the game are comically evil and/or insane which seemed like a huge missed oppourtunity. When you dehumanize them all to that point you lose the chance to show how they (and by extension the world) reached such extremes.

-
The killing of Bubi for the Frau Engel storyline seemed random and shoehorned in. Maybe it was needed for a sequel. Bubi was creepy as fuck anyway.

-
The Ramona diary takes the same tone towards Nazis as Deathshead does towards the captured soldiers in the beginning. I figured it was going to lead to some realization about what she has become but it just mentions regret which is never really shown and sluffs it off.

-
It is heavily implied that Anya is Ramona. Ramona is kind of a budding sociopath and Anya is shown as selfless and caring. This is really hard to process as BJ seems to acknowledge no connection between the two. Maybe the are drawn together by their love of killing Nazis or something. It did make the "beacon of light" ending weird as shit for me though.

-
I thought the camp in Croatia could have been a lot more intense and graphic. Especially after the asylum level. But I got to push buttons to make concrete.

Just to reiterate despite what I wrote I enjoyed the game a lot and look forward to a sequel if there is one.

Very similar thoughts. Highly enjoyed it, but I didn't really enjoy anything related to stealth (even though I ended up stealthing most parts because it was easy and always feels like a failure to start an alarm). I think the story / dialogue was completely ridiculous. Not a big deal of course when the gunplay is so much fun, but when reading people saying it has great characters and all I feel like I am in crazy land. More power to them though.

Wish that ammo was a bit more liberal (and that perhaps there were more baddies but that you were more resistant). I don't think there is quite anything as fun as just continuously shooting the double shotgun in a tight corridor, but it is _very_ short lived fun :)

I hated the
laser gun
. Expect everyone else liked it, but I don't know. It's very powerful but does not feel powerful. Not feeling that kind of ammo.
after getting the aim-assist module, ammo consumption is completely unpredictable. sometimes two shots completely empty the battery, sometimes it takes more. Annoying in any case

Ah, and
the moon level sucked! Dropped the ball on this.

Did I mention the shotgun was awesome? Best shottie since doom2.

Just finished it. Wow. So damn good, it's been a while since a FPS had me thirsty for more at work, quite like this game. Really excited for the DLC now.

Hesemonni

Banned
I bought the game on PS4 and I don't know if it's the FOV, but I'm seriously having trouble playing the game. Everything feels just cramped and twitchy.

I got the game on PS4 for cheap, so what I'll do is I'll just sell it and from now on play the multiplatforms on PC like they are supposed to be played.

I hated the
laser gun
. Expect everyone else liked it, but I don't know. It's very powerful but does not feel powerful. Not feeling that kind of ammo.
after getting the aim-assist module, ammo consumption is completely unpredictable. sometimes two shots completely empty the battery, sometimes it takes more. Annoying in any case
That was my favourite weapon. I don't know about other difficulties, but on Uber (especially towards the end) it's basically that and the underbarrel grenade launcher that are your bread and butter. With the recharge stations you can basically get unlimited ammo too.

In terms of the unpredictable ammo usage, there's a trick that I only worked out towards the end: when you have the enemy targeted with the
auto aim module's grid reticle
, you'll notice a series of red lights at the bottom of the reticle. The longer you have the enemy in the reticle, the more lights will light up. The number of lights determines how powerful the blast is (and how much ammo is used).

Hesemonni

Banned
Omg. I had tried playing the game completely wrong way. Forget iron sights and worrying about health and armour. Just shoot from the hips and trust there's plenty of health and armour picks to be had. I actually ended up platinuming the game after almost giving up on it :D

Falk

that puzzling face
That's -exactly- the way I started enjoying RAGE too. Iron sights seems like a token nod to modern FPS than something the game was designed in mind with, aside from stealth headshots with a silenced pistol.

vladdamad

Game is really great. Surprisingly brutal too, for some reason (probably because the premise is Nazi robots) I expected this to be a self-parody kind of thing but the story is just full of really harrowing, powerful moments.

I have a small question though - I pretty much only play FPS on PC with a mouse and keyboard. Trying to play this with a controller feels incredibly weird (playing on PS3), and I know that the solution is probably just more practice, but are there any tips on transitioning from mouse and keyboard to controller? Maybe changing the sensitivity or something?

Game is really great. Surprisingly brutal too, for some reason (probably because the premise is Nazi robots) I expected this to be a self-parody kind of thing but the story is just full of really harrowing, powerful moments.

I have a small question though - I pretty much only play FPS on PC with a mouse and keyboard. Trying to play this with a controller feels incredibly weird (playing on PS3), and I know that the solution is probably just more practice, but are there any tips on transitioning from mouse and keyboard to controller? Maybe changing the sensitivity or something?

Keep sensivity low and always have the x axis be faster than the y axis. Play on an easier mode than you are used to at first, too.

DieH@rd

Banned
I played on Uber first, and I had a blast. But at that difficulty, good stealth is a necessity in some parts. Good thing is, Machine Games nailed stealth and made it fun and viable.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Wow, I suck a FPS games. I quit on the lowest difficulty. Having to loot to regen full health, and having so many enemies attacking you at once while you're stuck on low health was too much.

Other than that, it's such a good game. I got to Chapter 6 before calling it quits. I need to get better at the genre with game that allows you to fully regen before returning. I rented it by the way.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wow, I suck a FPS games. I quit on the lowest difficulty. Having to loot to regen full health, and having so many enemies attacking you at once while you're stuck on low health was too much.

Other than that, it's such a good game. I got to Chapter 6 before calling it quits. I need to get better at the genre with game that allows you to fully regen before returning. I rented it by the way.

Wow. This game has one of the easiest easy difficulties.

c65.jpg

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Wow. This game has one of the easiest easy difficulties.

c65.jpg
lol. Well, eff you man.

I dunno. I beat The Order 1886, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil Revelations 2 this past week and they were a lot easier. Third person I know, but still. I've beat call of duty campaigns as well.

Edit: I just now read your tag after posting that.

Ricker

Yeah,speaking of difficulty,I am playing on normal and at the Steal the Train part...canI just make a run for it or do I have to kill everyone...? because those 2 super armored guys that come out of crates or something arent going down,shot gun,grenades,Lauftersen whatever thing doesnt even dent one and I think there's 2 of them.

Ricker

Goddamn,chapter 11,that bridge part and the one just before that,in the kinda small room...some of you guys beat those sections on UBER difficulty...? hats off guys lol,struggling like hell on normal.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Goddamn,chapter 11,that bridge part and the one just before that,in the kinda small room...some of you guys beat those sections on UBER difficulty...? hats off guys lol,struggling like hell on normal.

That part sucks ASS. Its also glitched to hell. If you die, then all the weapon and ammo drops disappear. Your best bet is to restart the level if you die.

vladdamad

Finished. Thought it was pretty good, spectacular gunplay and average-to-great everything else.

Some spoiler story thoughts/questions:

I really hope that they never make a direct sequel to this game. the ending to the story is perfect, as there's that little bit of ambiguity as to whether or not BJ survives. Realistically, probably not, but because we don't actually see the explosion, we can hope.

I was really hoping that the final boss would be some kind of incarnation of Hitler. Maybe as a mech or something, being kept alive by Dethshead after all these years. I suppose there weren't any references to real Nazis, so maybe they thought that would be in poor taste. Dethshead as a villain was suitably creepy though. Dat stare.

Also, only just realised this earlier, but Frau Engels is still alive - so if they do make a sequel, potentially, they can have her as the main villain. She would make a fantastic one.

When the menu refers to the choice you make as a split in the timeline, I was really thinking there would be time travel shenanigans of some sort - like maybe you go back in time to save the other or something. Thankfully that didn't happen, as it wouldn't really fit within the tone of the story. It's a shame that that choice doesn't really have an effect on the story that much.

One of the best moments in the game in my opinion is in the last chapter, when you're running through the compound murdering Nazis left and right and a slightly sped up version of the main menu theme plays. So good. Moon level was excellent also.

I guess overall it was nice to have a video game story without the obligatory ZOMG PLOT TWIST shoehorned it. They played it straight, and as a result, we got a great, simple story about love and war.

Will definitely be playing the DLC - interesting to see where they'll go with it!

Ricker

Just finished it last evening as well...I thought the difficulty in the last few chapters was a little high,died dozens and dozens of time on normal but overall,awesome game for sure.

So from the spoilers I read,it is not worth it to try the other timeline...? I went with Wyatt the first time around...
The Nazis win on that timeline and BJ wakes up like 16 years later,not knowing this,I thought that was an awesome twist...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just finished it last evening as well...I thought the difficulty in the last few chapters was a little high,died dozens and dozens of time on normal but overall,awesome game for sure.

So from the spoilers I read,it is not worth it to try the other timeline...? I went with Wyatt the first time around...
The Nazis win on that timeline and BJ wakes up like 16 years later,not knowing this,I thought that was an awesome twist...

What? They're more or less the same game storywise with both characters....

The only difference is the paths you can take. Wyatt is much better on Uber since you get a permanent health increase.

DieH@rd

Banned

The differences between two timelines are
not big ones. Both will be angry for surviving, they give you different item to upgrade [one health, the other one armor], in-game missions/cinematics are 95% similar. IMO, Fergus is a better charachter. The story beat of BJ awaking after 16 years inside of Nazi-won world... that is the same for both timelines.

Ricker

Ah ok cool,thanks guys...will wait for Old Blood then...I need the room also on my PS4 HDD,this game is 50 GB lol so I will delete it for now.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Are there any differences between PC version and PS4? Debating whether I should get it for PC or wait to get it for PS4 in June. Are the megatextures on PS4?

DieH@rd

Banned
Are there any differences between PC version and PS4? Debating whether I should get it for PC or wait to get it for PS4 in June. Are the megatextures on PS4?

Game is 50GB on PS4, what do you think? :D

If you have strong PC, you can force the game to has less antialiasing or run it at higher resolution [or downscale rendering resolution]. PS4 port is great, 1080p60fps without drops, in very rare cases resolution will be automatically reduced a bit to preserve framerate.

The differences between two timelines are
not big ones. Both will be angry for surviving, they give you different item to upgrade [one health, the other one armor], in-game missions/cinematics are 95% similar. IMO, Fergus is a better charachter. The story beat of BJ awaking after 16 years inside of Nazi-won world... that is the same for both timelines.

But Wyatt's timeline has the superior character of J.

Apologies for the bump but I got around to playing this. I'm on chapter 5 I think at the moment. This is my very first exposure to Wolfenstein EVER. Until TNO I have no knowledge of the franchise.

Having an absolute blast with it. Everything about it is really great. The graphics are surprisingly good too for a game I haven't heard much praise about (graphically).

I've pre-ordered the DLC already. Want to play more but have to sleep. :'(

Might be my second favourite FPS ever, behind Resistance.

Edit: Oh it's only a two day bump. Not that bad.

Apologies for the bump but I got around to playing this. I'm on chapter 5 I think at the moment. This is my very first exposure to Wolfenstein EVER. Until TNO I have no knowledge of the franchise.

Having an absolute blast with it. Everything about it is really great. The graphics are surprisingly good too for a game I haven't heard much praise about (graphically).

I've pre-ordered the DLC already. Want to play more but have to sleep. :'(

Might be my second favourite FPS ever, behind Resistance.

Edit: Oh it's only a two day bump. Not that bad.
Do return to castle after it.
You could do 2009 too but it's a bitch to find.

Just continue playing, story, charachters and combat get even better the more you play [and it is not a short game].

You were right.

This was a huge surprise for me. I never knew Wolfenstein was such a high quality game. I always passed it as another b-shooter which is why I had never picked it up. This was the best shooter I've played in a long time.

I seriously hope there is a sequel.

DieH@rd

Banned
You were right.

This was a huge surprise for me. I never knew Wolfenstein was such a high quality game. I always passed it as another b-shooter which is why I had never picked it up. This was the best shooter I've played in a long time.

I seriously hope there is a sequel.

GAF constantly raves about this game, just look at the amount of threads that were created about it in the last year. :D Many describe the game as having "best campaign since HL2". I personally agree.

After you have finished the game, check out the GB interview with game's creative director Jens Matthies. It's a great read/listen.
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/a...stein-the-new-orders-jens-matthies/1100-4943/
http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/a-conversation-with-wolfenstein-the-new-orders-jen/1600-914/

As for sequel, chances for it are very high. But before it I hope a lot of people [includign brand new players] will taste the upcoming standalone expansion.

Can anyone here speak to the differences between the PS3 and the PS4 version of The New Order? I only have a PS3 and I likely won't be getting a PS4 until Uncharted 4 comes out. I'm just wondering if my experience would be significantly compromised if I were to play the PS3 version.

Radec

Sorry for the bump, I just got the game (finally), is the 5GB day 1 patch on the PS4 a huge improvement on the game ?

DieH@rd

Banned
Sorry for the bump, I just got the game (finally), is the 5GB day 1 patch on the PS4 a huge improvement on the game ?

I don't think you will easily find the impressions of v1.0 because ~90% of PS4 gamers have access to the web. That same patch is few gigs larger on Xbone.

I think is contains fixes for text, audio, gameplay and some checkpoint bugs. Performance should be fine [60fps].

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Just started playing this game and even with the Gold headset, the soundmix really sucks. Overall the game sound is so damn LOW.

Top Bottom