• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

stitch512

Banned
Anybody know how to throw a knife on the xbone version? I accidently skipped past where it showed how and I feel really stupid now lol.

Can anyone provide details on this alternative timeline business that makes for a replayable different campaign?

Seems to have come up in the reviews but no real details on how drastically the choice at the beginning changes the game. Limit spoilers if possible!

It affects the skills BJ has in terms of you can either hotwire things to open them up or pick locks, so you can navigate the levels in different ways. It has an obvious impact on the story as well, but I wont spoil that. I'll definitely replay the game because of this and just because it's good fun.

Some gameplay I recorded here.

EDIT: n/m

It affects the skills BJ has in terms of you can either hotwire things to open them up or pick locks, so you can navigate the levels in different ways. It has an obvious impact on the story as well, but I wont spoil that. I'll definitely replay the game because of this and just because it's good fun.

Some gameplay I recorded here.

Taking different approaches has an impact on the story?
Yesssss, now I know I will definitely replay this game as soon as I finish it.

Just played the intro on the PS4 version.

Even though I had subtitles set to "foreign only" I kept getting subtitles whenever the pilot spoke, in English. The sound mix was off too, with voices barely discernible over the rest of the effects, and no options to switch audio setup (headset, home theater, speaker size, etc).

Has anybody else run into this?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
thanks, you definitely are the steam unlock expert here :)
but what Region would I have to set the vpn to?
I tried spotflux, which usually works, but I'll try flyvpn with a spezific Country when I get home

Spotflux should work as the game's now unlocked in the US (just remember to restart Steam once the VPN has connected). If it doesn't you can try TunnelBear.

catmario

bnMCYfM.jpg

Hey guys! Check your PSN account.

Doom beta is appear at your purchase history!!

Indeed, sony is giving doom beta code for digital pre-order users.

Aaaaand Download complete! :) It took only 40 minutes! Download speed is also really fast.

soultron

Banned
Cross-posting my initial impressions from the Review thread (it's late and I thought I was posting in the OT):

Just got finished playing the first few areas on my PC. Runs really well on my 660, i5 4670K, 8GB RAM. I don't even have anything overclocked and I'm pretty sure I'm hitting 60 right now with High settings at 1080p.

Also, the game is fun. Firing two weapons at once feels really great since the weapons, solo, offer a good sense of snappiness when you pull the trigger. There's opportunities for stealth if you sneak up behind guys or use the leaning mechanic and a silenced pistol. The environments tend to open up a bit so as to offer multiple pathways when you're in the bigger sandbox-y areas, again reinforcing stealth if you choose to play that way. There are stealth-specific perks (as are there for other playstyles) you can earn by playing in a stealthy way, such as increased silenced pistol damage if you get 10 silenced pistol stealth kills.

I was worried the cinematics would really go overboard on the gore but they haven't so far, and I'm grateful. I passed one point in the story where they really could've gone overboard (spoilers for after the first 2 chapters: in the
Polish couple's
house when you use the
chainsaw on the Nazi officer
.) but MachineHead showed restraint. The cinematics are really well shot and the great backing music is subtle but really adds to the atmosphere. Also, the writing and dialogue is really well-delivered from what I've heard so far. I feel like Inglorious Basterds was an obvious influence, but that's not a bad thing. The game does enough visually with its environment and mechanical art to distinguish itself as a unique work.

There are also some neat environmental puzzles hidden away. You'll really have to slow down and search the environment for them, but even though they're simple once you've figured them out, they manage to be very gratifying and reward you for your attentiveness. I've encountered 2 so far and was smiling once I "unlocked" them.

I can't wait to play more.

DieH@rd

Banned
Where do you check the progress of the download on ps4 after you are able to launch the game?

Game Icon on main XMB screen > Options button on DS4 > Information

Download counter will continue to be active there even though there will be nothing on "Notification" screen.

I passed one point in the story where they really could've gone overboard (spoilers for after the first 2 chapters:
in the Polish couple's house when you use the chainsaw on the Nazi officer.
) but MachineHead showed restraint.
Spoiler tags are your friend :(

[ spoiler] [/ spoiler] without the spaces.

S1kkZ

so, i downloaded the 4 gb file from psn, which allowed me to play 5 minutes from the game. do i now have to wait until the whole 47 gb are downloaded or can i play more sooner (lets say, when i loaded 15 gb)?

Is there any word on digital Xbox One orders and the DOOM beta? There's no pre-order system, so do day 1 orders get it?

Sorry if this has been covered already. I searched the thread, and google, and couldn't find an answer.

jaosobno

Is there any word on digital Xbox One orders and the DOOM beta? There's no pre-order system, so do day 1 orders get it?

Sorry if this has been covered already. I searched the thread, and google, and couldn't find an answer.

IF I PRE-ORDER THE GAME DIGITALLY ON XBOX 360 OR XBOX ONE, WILL I STILL GET ACCESS TO THE DOOM BETA?

Microsoft is currently not offering digital pre-orders, but we are working with them to make the DOOM beta invite available for a limited time after launch for digital purchases

http://www.wolfenstein.com/en-gb/doom

IF I PRE-ORDER THE GAME DIGITALLY ON XBOX 360 OR XBOX ONE, WILL I STILL GET ACCESS TO THE DOOM BETA?

Microsoft is currently not offering digital pre-orders, but we are working with them to make the DOOM beta invite available for a limited time after launch for digital purchases

http://www.wolfenstein.com/en-gb/doom

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. I found the FAQ on Bethblog and it just says they're working with Steam, MS, and Sony to ensure digital pre-orders get it, and to contact the retailer directly for more info. ( http://www.bethblog.com/2014/04/02/updated-wolfenstein-pre-order-faq-w-doom-beta/ )

I just don't understand how the IQ can be so bad, MSAA really doesn't seem to help much :/ Performance isn't good enough to where I can downsample either unlike in Rage.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
K so just go to the very beginning of the
train
level, impressions from running maxed on PC version.

1) Textures on guns and enviroment are by no means great as others said, but I think the game is saved by it's character models, blood effects, animations, and overall art direction. Appreciative of the FOV slider, but confused on the lack of AA option considering others in the performance thread have found a console launch command to implement it. Game runs buttery smooth, which is great.

2) I think an auto-pick up like in the previous wolfensteins or flatout less "stuff" to pick up may help, feel like I'm spending too much time just ravaging about for supplies "just cuz" even though my overcharge is being used for walking around doing nothing. Every area cleared of enemies is then given a "sweep" for supplies, which I feel takes too long and slows down the game too much. Maybe giving breakable crates a more disinguishing look would have helped with this. They are fairly spotable already, but I've still mistaken some static boxes for ones I thought I could break.

3) Perhaps this is because I'm simply still early in the game, but the silenced pistols are ridiculous for stealth, headshotting guys across the level like it was nothing, makes the stealth piss easy. Again, very early on, so harder enemies might negate this.

4) Others have said already, but some better sound options are needed, voices are too low, especially in cutscenes. Not horribly low, but low enough that I feel they should be louder. Also feel their is a strong lack of music often, I'm not sure what sets the music off, but for stealthing it just feels depressingly quiet, and even when I got in shootouts sometimes it remained quiet.

5) Not a critique, but a tip to those who have mouse 4/5 buttons on their mouse, set your lean to that, I found it much easier a far more natural to have it their rather than left alt.

Edit: Oh, and I felt wicked cool when I figured out in the lever secret in the bunker all by myself. 10/10, would sleuth again.

Xater

so, i downloaded the 4 gb file from psn, which allowed me to play 5 minutes from the game. do i now have to wait until the whole 47 gb are downloaded or can i play more sooner (lets say, when i loaded 15 gb)?

You should be able to play more sooner. It still is a fucking joke. At least make the minimum download size something that results in more than five minutes of game time.

S1kkZ

You should be able to play more sooner. It still is a fucking joke. At least make the minimum download size something that results in more than five minutes of game time.

downloaded 11 gb now and i can play the next section (probably another 5 minutes... ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
so how are we gonna get the beta codes on consoles ? correct me if im wrong but it looks like its the same build "with doom beta" for all platforms. makes me think we have to launch the beta from the main menu of wolfenstein

PS3/4 (digital; America only): PSN is set up similarly to Steam, judging from the FAQ, so the beta will be downloadable from your purchase history in the future
PS3/4 (physical): Register your key here and you'll receive an actual beta key later
X360/X1 (digital): I assume Bethesda will have to work with Microsoft to manually add the Doom beta to your purchase history, provided you buy Wolf14 before the cut-off point
X360/X1 (physical): See PS3/4

Just played the intro on the PS4 version.

Even though I had subtitles set to "foreign only" I kept getting subtitles whenever the pilot spoke, in English. The sound mix was off too, with voices barely discernible over the rest of the effects, and no options to switch audio setup (headset, home theater, speaker size, etc).

Has anybody else run into this?

Haven't checked out the subtitles thing, but the sound mix is off with my game as well. I started thinking maybe it's because the game hasn't fully downloaded, but would that even make sense. Either way it's an issue that is taking away from some of the enjoyment for the game for me.

Xater

Gamepro also mentions poor sound mixing. Guess it's just an issue the game has. Just another reason to play with full subtitles I guess.

PranooY

Got some Questions.

I'm gonna get the PS3 version of this game. Any Issues with it?
How long is the game? (One main story playthrough)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sound mixing on my Xonar is atrocious. Hate it when games are like this.

Top Bottom