• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein The New Order PS4 - 8 mins. gameplay.

This is easily my most anticipated game of the year right now (Sorry, Destiny).

The fact that many ex-Riddick Devs worked on this is all the better. May can't come fast enough.

Mondy

Banned
That's PS4 footage?

That engine really is a shit show.

Id Tech 5 is probably one of the biggest trainwrecks in the history of games. It was hyped to the moon and back with RAGE and just completely crashed and burned.

Having said that, I REALLY hope this turns out good. We need a new awesome Wolfenstein game.

Danneee

Its b-roll footage that appeared in countless previews this week.

If this thread survives, lets just fill it with few info:

E3 trailer for a start, describes main setting of the game

-THIS GAME IS 60 FPS on all systems [oldgen/nextgen, PS4 confirmed 1080p60]
-Only SP, 15h+ campaign
-Made by Riddick/Darkness 1 devs, large focus on characters/story
-Continuation of the storyline from first Wolfenstein3D
-Hard-hitting sober storyline + crazy 90s gameplay
-Tech tree unlocks with the use of in-game challenges, viable stealth, non-regenerative health
-BJ can dual-wield snipers
-Gibs. Like "brains being thrown out from skulls" gibs.
-Nazi's have landed on the Moon
-Fuck the Moon

:D

Alright. I was internatets but you sold me on this.

1080/60, gibs, Riddick/Darkness devs, SP focus, moon nazis...

OhboyOhboyOhboy

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game looks so fucking fun. It went from a maybe to day 1. We need more long, SP focused FPS with crazy gun feedback.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Id Tech 5 is probably one of the biggest trainwrecks in the history of games. It was hyped to the moon and back with RAGE and just completely crashed and burned.
I just can't agree.

It had a very different focus from other engines, but I really appreciated when Rage brought to the table. The texture variety is unlike anything else out there even though detail suffers at close proximity and the fact that it held 60 fps 99% of the time on consoles was a miracle. Doom 3 on consoles also use id Tech 5 and was a huge leap over Quake 4 and Prey released earlier on 360.

It's certainly been eclipsed by a lot of newer technologies, of course, but it's one of the only engines that was delivering a solid 60 fps on consoles last gen. Even Call of Duty, which I think looked worse across the board, suffered from plenty of slowdown and performance dips.

I actually quite like the look of The New Order myself.

StuBurns

Banned
I just can't agree.

It had a very different focus from other engines, but I really appreciated when Rage brought to the table. The texture variety is unlike anything else out there even though detail suffers at close proximity and the fact that it held 60 fps 99% of the time on consoles was a miracle. Doom 3 on consoles also use id Tech 5 and was a huge leap over Quake 4 and Prey released earlier on 360.

It's certainly been eclipsed by a lot of newer technologies, of course, but it's one of the only engines that was delivering a solid 60 fps on consoles last gen. Even Call of Duty, which I think looked worse across the board, suffered from plenty of slowdown and performance dips.

I actually quite like the look of The New Order myself.
But it was only one game. Now we have this, Doom, The Evil Within, and God knows what else, using this engine on systems that have vastly more performance available to them.

While I think Rage looks bad on PS360 anyway, at least the 60fps had some merit there, it was arguably worth crippling other areas of the engine to provide that performance (an argument I would be on the opposite side of actually), but now what possible good does it provide? We have the same really awful inert lighting and cheap TV studio visuals when the systems have ample performance for 60fps with much nicer visuals.

I wonder what was in the works for Doom originally, Carmack talked about halving the performance on consoles so they could do a lot more with the lighting (if I remember correctly, at least).

Just how a shooter should be, the shooting looks really really brutal and satisfying. Old school vibe with some enhancements. I don't think it will get good reviews but I am interested.

FeiRR

Banned
I can't believe it's PS4 footage, so ugly. Also enemy AI is terrible. They don't even react to grenades under their feet.

Concept17

From a technical standpoint, it is pretty lackluster.

But it makes up for that with its art direction. Add to the fact that the gameplay looks like the old games, plus a non-linear level design, makes this game look great.

OneUh8

This game simply look like fun. I will pick it up for sure. But I really can't wait to see what the new DOOM is going to be.

Majanew

Banned
Environments look decent, but everything else is pretty meh. Character models, lighting, animations, a lot of the textures, look rough. I guess taking screenshots on my PS4 of blowing enemies into chunks might be cool. I'll wait for it to hit $20.

rtcn63

Graphics look a bit disappointing. A lot of bloom (or whatever the glowy sheen is). Reminds me of Shadow Warrior.

Majanew

Banned
It's dynamic in the gameplay too. There is some prove in the dedicate thread. I believe to 1080p 60 fps on xone when I will see it.

Tomb Raider is 30fps on Xbox One, not 60fps. And there's already 10 games on Xbox One doing 1080p and 60fps, so HA! :p

Akahige

Its b-roll footage that appeared in countless previews this week.

If this thread survives, lets just fill it with few info:

E3 trailer for a start, describes main setting of the game

-THIS GAME IS 60 FPS on all systems [oldgen/nextgen, PS4 confirmed 1080p60]
-Only SP, 15h+ campaign
-Made by Riddick/Darkness 1 devs, large focus on characters/story
-Continuation of the storyline from first Wolfenstein3D
-Hard-hitting sober storyline + crazy 90s gameplay
-Tech tree unlocks with the use of in-game challenges, viable stealth, non-regenerative health
-BJ can dual-wield snipers
-Gibs. Like "brains being thrown out from skulls" gibs.
-Nazi's have landed on the Moon
-Fuck the Moon

:D
hmmmm I may play this.

Honestly I don't think this is going to be a Graphic Powerhouse.. But it definitely looks fun to play. It looks like a the game to play homage to the original.

Lucent

Because the animation and shooting mechanics look fucking Godlike.

wolfenstein_the_new_order_big_by_digi_matrix-d77fzoq.gif

Made me laugh how that guy gets his face blown off and it's like "nope, gotta shoot more parts off of him. Not dead enough." -blows hand off- YEAH!

VERY interesting that it's single player with a 15+ hour campaign. Right? And no MP. I hope this is fun.

Gxgear

Pfft, didn't even cock the grenade. What is this, amateur hour?

Jokes aside, looking good and invoking a lot of fond memories of old school shooters.

Run-M-Run

I'm just so stunned they can still keep making these games without having forced to do multiplayer or fall into total COD tropes. I'm all for it but why don't we see this more often? Why the wolfenstein series gets to keep it's roots and keep growing on them while other long lasting titles become clones of something lesser and end up total failures?

Oh well, this'll be great!

Hypron

I haven't played Rage or any games relying heavily on dynamic resolution, but is the change usually dynamic/fast enough to prevent the smallest of dips to retain a framerate as solid as possible or is there a perceptible lag in resolution change that ends up avoiding major dips at best?

Yeah it's really solid. Framerate drops a bit during the car sequences but otherwise it's the FPS with the best framerate on xbox360/ps3.

Damn, I feel like they missed out not having multiplayer. The non ADS and excellent looking shooting mechanics would have been great for fast paced deathmatch arena style gameplay.

Zushin

Shameless cross posting from other thread:
Just noticed this on the Eurogamer preview at 1:48 under the collectable tab:

"Enigma Code Piece 1:1

Collect Enigma code pieces to complete Enigma code puzzles within the extras section of the main menu. A solved enigma code puzzle will unlock bonus modes"

Interested to see what those modes are.

Let the speculation begin.

Dead

well not really...yet
Long campaign + non regenerative health + 90s style/ultra violence/fuck the moon...this sounds awesome.

Based Ex=Starbreeze devs :bow

Top Bottom