• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - Review Thread

DukeBobby

Metacritic

360 -
PS3 -
Xbox One - 78
PS4 - 78
PC -

Reviews

Polygon - 9

The New Order’s got all the workings of a classic shooter. But in their trip back to the well, Machine Games has brought all of its talents to bear. The New Order is held together, even rocketed beyond the basic sum of its smart levels and effective mechanics by its characters. That humanity takes what would be a good shooter and makes it something truly memorable.

IGN - 7.8

Wolfenstein: The New Order's emphasis on storytelling and characters make it a shooter worth playing.

Eurogamer - 6

It's a decent shooter with a good few impressive moments, but it can be buggy and it doesn't offer much you can't find elsewhere, with little to tempt you back when it's over. Where it most tries to stand out, in its narrative and setting, it often comes off as juvenile. Overall, it's built on an impressive world but it doesn't do enough with it, and as a result it's curious, but hardly compelling.

USGamer - 4/5

A sprawling epic that sometimes doesn't quite hit the ridiculously high bar it sets for itself, but nevertheless delivers an absolutely spectacular, supremely gory, utterly compelling experience.

Game Informer - 8

Wolfenstein: The New Order is a positive step forward for the series after the last dud. Machine Games presents a competent shooter with more polish and a better array of characters, but ultimately the game feels more comfortable recompiling established conventions than it does striving for innovation.

Destructoid - 7.5

In many ways, Wolfenstein: The New Order is "First-Person Shooters: The Game," but it gets most of the important details right. It's weird seeing a Wolf game that's not developed by id Software (who is busy with Doom 4), but MachineGames did a great job adapting the franchise in its own way. With a few tweaks, the next iteration could be something truly special.

Spawnfirst - 8.0

The franchise that helped launch the FPS genre is back and it hasn’t skipped a beat. But more importantly, it’s a ton of fun. Wolfenstein: The New Order is very much a modern FPS with some retro mechanics sprinkled in for good measure. However, the lack of multiplayer means it may not stay in your system of choice for long.

The Escapist - 3.5/5

Wolfenstein: The New Order doesn't make the most of a highly promising premise, but it provides the baseline of gun-toting freedom fighting that fans expect.

AusGamers - 8.7

While part of me is disappointed at the lack of multiplayer (more Enemy Territory anyone?), the lengthy (by shooter standards) and cinematic campaign was an absolute riot from start to finish, tainted only by the strange inclusion of back-at-base missions that included jarring fetch quests. Wolfenstein: The New Order is a fantastic blend of old-school tropes and contemporary improvements that warrants a second play-through.

Gamesrader - 4/5

An over-the-top shooter with fun action, memorable set-piece moments, and decent characters, Wolfenstein: The New Order successfully transform an oldschool game into a modern experience.

CraveOnline - 8.0

This isn't the second coming of Wolfenstein 3D, but it doesn't have to be. It's a simple and fun single-player shooter that has arrived to show that Wolfenstein is still relevant.

Metro - 9/10

The best Wolfenstein game ever made and one of the best single-player shooters for years, with a brave attempt to tackle serious issues and still have fun at the same time.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Here is ours :) AusGamers | 8.7
While part of me is disappointed at the lack of multiplayer (more Enemy Territory anyone?), the lengthy (by shooter standards) and cinematic campaign was an absolute riot from start to finish, tainted only by the strange inclusion of back-at-base missions that included jarring fetch quests. Wolfenstein: The New Order is a fantastic blend of old-school tropes and contemporary improvements that warrants a second play-through.

dmr87

yDL.gif

Gamesbeat - 78/100
http://venturebeat.com/2014/05/19/wolfenstein-the-new-order-review/2/

Escapist - 3,5/5
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...in-The-New-Order-Review-I-Know-What-I-Reich.2

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
If it's above 87 metacritic,I will buy tomorrow when I am out. Have no idea about this game, never played a wolfenstein game, just feel like buying something.

Note, not saying I think it will be bad, but for being completely in the dark, 87 sounds like a good idea.

Eusis

Just going by the numbers this looks like a good one to get for anyone starving for games on the new systems, or at least a good rental. If it's more open than the average FPS I'll want to check it out.

Stevivor review - 9/10

Often, games cop flak for not being innovative or pushing boundaries, but it's important to remember that not every game needs to. Innovation for the sake of innovation is just as pointless and boring as stagnation. Wolfenstein: The New Order isn't an innovative, genre defining game, but that's not a negative. It benefits greatly from simply being what it is: a rock solid, perfectly-paced story-driven FPS. Nothing more, nothing less. The journey from 1946 to 1960 is a gripping one and one that's definitely worth seeing. Skeptics may shake their heads and many may malign the lack of multiplayer, but that's just knee-jerkery, plain and simple. When presented with a tight, tuned and fun game like Wolfenstein: The New Order, your best course of action is to sit down, play and bask in the greatness beaming out of your TV or monitor.

Zabuza

Banned
If it's above 87 metacritic,I will buy tomorrow when I am out. Have no idea about this game, never played a wolfenstein game, just feel like buying something.

Note, not saying I think it will be bad, but for being completely in the dark, 87 sounds like a good idea.
Not likely.

Raptomex

In my opinion Eurogamer tends to overrate or underrate games. This is looking great. Despite any reviews I was getting this anyway. Can't wait.

Top Bottom