• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: TNO is unplayable without patch [Bethesda denies; See OP]

Andrew.

Banned
Update 3:
Dutch Journalist via GAF also confirms as fake.

Update 2:

Bethesda community manager denies story, says game is playable (on consoles at least) without any patching.

Update 1:

Mod Abuse

This story has not been verified. The Twitter account it comes from is not a known journalist or insider and has a single follower. Wait until we have independent verification before melting down.

-------------------------------------
Original OP:
-------------------------------------

via Twatter

https://twitter.com/JanolsenJan

That ain't cool...

ekim

Quoting me from the other thread:
Well I guess the game is bigger than just 50gb and so you have to download the rest. It's not a Day One Patch - it's parts of the game that didn't fit on the BD.

gruenel

eUDs9Nu.png

L~A

I understand leaving some bugs in the final release, due to time constraints and all (and you can't really remove all bugs/glitches anyway), but shipping an unplayable game? Wow.

MilesTeg

Banned
Well I guess the game is bigger than just 50gb and so you have to download the rest. It's not a Day One Patch - it's parts of the game that didn't fit on the BD.

That would be my guess. Wonder if we will see multi blu ray games soon, or if patching will be the answer.

I hope this is in big letters on the front of the game. Because a ton of people with ridiculously shitty Internet connections will buy it and end up with a coaster.

Patryn

There are going to be some seriously pissed off people. 7 GB is a big hit against a data cap, not to mention may take quite a while on a slower connection.

That doesn't even take into account someone who doesn't have their console online. The worst part is that once they open the game to discover it's unplayable, they can no longer return it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Unless console blu-ray formatting takes up a ton of space, this wouldn't explain why the PC game only requires 50 GB though.

Sanic

Is there anything on the box saying an internet connection is required?

Are there any other incidents of this on current gen consoles yet?

Patryn

My big question, now that I had a moment to think: How the fuck did this pass certification? If it's really literally unplayable, how is that possible?

Patryn

Unplayable how??? Like it won't boot up???

This is also a good question. Is it just that the game is demanding you install the patch? Can you disconnect your console from the internet, thus shortcutting any needed patches check and then play it?

WTF. They fucked up big time here.

They using DRM behind our back... And I paid already for the whole game. If I knew that earlier I never would've bought it.

ekim

Unless console blu-ray formatting takes up a ton of space, this wouldn't explain why the PC game only requires 50 GB though.

Well the requirements for the PS4 and X1 also just talk about 50 GB. Maybe there is a day one patch as well on the PC.

For a single player only game... That's just mess up. Guess I'll wait when it's on sale. I do have a feeling this game will bomb pretty hard.

Lumicide

Banned
That would be my guess. Wonder if we will see multi blu ray games soon, or if patching will be the answer.
It seems to me more like pre-release "DRM" akin to that of Steam, where the vast majority of the game is downloaded, then patched day1 to work. I'm fine with that for Steam, but for a disc... it should really have the full game on it.

If it can't fit on 1 blu-ray, then ship it should be shipped with two.

Krakn3Dfx

I wonder if it says anywhere on the box that it requires an initial online connection/patch download to run.

If not, Beth/Zeni are going to catch a ton of hell for this one.

Andrew.

Banned
You guys really think there's gonna be some words on the box giving out a "Just so you know.." message?

It's all about taking that money first. There isn't gonna be a warning. This thread and that tweet is your warning.

Sucks for the oblivious consumers though.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, and please don't torch me due to my ignorance regarding some things, but could they just compress the game exponentially, fit it on a disc, and then just have it unload on the console when popped in so something like this can be avoided?

It'll probably prompt you to download the latest update and won't boot without it. The game box better say "online required" otherwise this is bullshit.

But what if you don't have your console connected online at all, or have no internet for the time being? What happens? This is what I want to know. It may just be he got prompted to a huge update because he is connected online..Just assuming here.

MaDKaT

Hmmm.... not acceptable to me. Game will have to be stellar for me to consider it. I dont mind some minor fixes but having to be dependent on a day one patch to even be able to play the game is too much.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Hopefully this is just the result of a colossal logistics fuckup and a very questionable, desperate solution, and not an indication of a deliberate plan that we will see more of in the future.

Slowdive

Banned
But what if you don't have your console connected online at all, or have no internet for the time being? What happens? This is what I want to know. It may just be he got prompted to a huge update because he is connected online..Just assuming here.

This is what I thought. Maybe it works if you're not connected to the internet.

As I pointed out in another thread, these kind of practices should be boycotted. Selling an incomplete disc is anti-consumer and unacceptable. They might as well just place it as DD only if this is the solution they come up with.

Nemesis_

Thankfully in Australia the major retailer for games here allows you to return games within seven days.

Really worried about anyone buying it elsewhere though, but surely consumer laws or something would allow a return regardless if it were opened or not at any retailer....

gruenel

Out of curiosity, and please don't torch me due to my ignorance regarding some things, but could they just compress the game exponentially, fit it on a disc, and then just have it unload on the console when popped in so something like this can be avoided?

It's already compressed on the disc, but compression has its limits. You can't just compress a 100GB game down to 50GB.

Top Bottom