• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: TNO is unplayable without patch [Bethesda denies; See OP]

I call bullshit on this

1. If your machine is not connected to the internet the game won't know it needs a patch and will boot and play fine.

2. Only multiplayer sections are allowed to be behind patch walls at least on PS systems. This game has no multiplayer component.

This *rumour* is simply not true.

Ludist210

It's one thing if a game is patched on day one to fix issues but is functional...that doesn't bother me (well it does, but not on this level). But shipping an unfunctional game? That's just no good.

Good thing I wasn't interested in this game at all.

gstaff

This is insane if true. That patch must have some pretty huge things in it.

This info is inaccurate.

The game has the same installation steps that other Xbox One and PS4 games have out there, and particularly on PS4, it installs very quickly (I was surprised how fast it was).

I can tell you that I've played the game on my PS4 and Xbox One without having a retail patch installed at home, and showing the game during a livestream as early as Tuesday, the game was not installing a day 1 patch.

Capture.jpg

From a collectors standpoint I really hate this kind of thing. in the future once the console is past its life cycle and the servers have shut down this game is lost unless they still sell it and the discs will be worthless.

Collecting games these days is becoming kinda pointless. With the games having several patches in their lifetime, sometimes even missing features or having digital extras, on their original retail releases, at this point I just started toning down my purchases because I know some of them are going to be completely useless in the future.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, good point about reliability of the tweet. Will wait for official confirmation.

No idea. He's never ran into PS3 certification trouble before.

Cool, well, if he can play without patch on his PS3 then good for him. Otherwise he cant play at all.

Yeah found the post by the guy, but Zenimax took down the vid unfortunately.

GameSeeker

Well, one more game to put on my DO NOT BUY list.

Games on physical media need to be complete. I understand they may be missing patches that come weeks/months down the road, but the stupidity of day 1 patches that actually enable a playable game needs to stop. Dear game developers, please delay your games by 2-3 weeks and ship a complete game on disc. Thank you.

mnannola

I find this hard to believe. Why would they go gold with a version that does not work? I can see a patch needed to fix some bugs, but not needed to just start the game up. I want to see some more sources on this.

TyrantII

Well, there goes my support.

Was going to grab it full price, but I'll grab it down the line used now. I won't support anti-consumer bullshit DRM. I suppose they'll write it off as a massive dev fuck up instead, but too bad.

Edit: could twitter dude be having issues with XB1s mega install times from disc?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
The game has the same installation steps that other Xbox One and PS4 games have out there, and particularly on PS4, it installs very quickly (I was surprised how fast it was).

I can tell you that I've played the game on my PS4 and Xbox One without having a retail patch installed at home, and showing the game during a livestream as early as Tuesday, the game was not installing a day 1 patch.

Capture.jpg

Crisis averted? Big fat liar twitter guy confirmed?

styl3s

Don't you get it? You like and play video games, therefore you are responsible to become an anti-consumer activist and make sacrifices for the greater good!
If you are such a warrior for the consumer why do you have internet right now? Go make sacrifices for the greater good mr pro-consumer! Cancel your ISP and show them you won't stand for it! Stand up to ATT, Verizon, Comcast etc.

Oh, you won't? Don't fucking preach to me then.

I'm asking around to find out if this is true, but out of curiosity, what makes you guys think some random Twitter account with an Xbox avatar and 1 follower is a reliable source of information on a video game that isn't out yet?
Good point. Setting phasers on snooze.

ProfessorX

Unconfirmed Member

Capture.jpg

Good to know. So this rumor is fake? How do people find these random twitter accounts and their tweets?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This info is inaccurate.

Capture.jpg
Hmm, this is positive news.

you won't? Don't fucking preach to me then.
Well, to be fair, the internet I'm using here in France is dirt cheap and quite fast (200mbit). I have no qualms with my ISP. :p

psychotron

I doubt it's truly unplayable, but if so that blows. The company could send discs with the patch on it to people I suppose, but that's hardly a fix.

Soul Beat

If this is true then I'll be warning people about this at work.

Then again, I'm sure people will still get angry at me for informing them of this situation.

They should mention on the package that the internet is required for mandatory updates but the internet is so prevalent in the countries this game is being sold in that I feel this is being pretty overblown. What micro-percentage of PS4 owners really don't have internet access?

This info is inaccurate.

Capture.jpg
If this is true then great to hear. Hopefully you guys can cut the BS rumor off at the source before word of mouth spreads

This is really unacceptable by any standards, a 7GB patch just play the game offline is just insane. What about people with no internet connection?

Edit: ok, glad its not true.

Here's the deal. At our headquarters (of two of the biggest dutch gaming websites) we have the retail version (PS4-version). It works, without a patch. So there's that. I'm not saying everyone else is wrong, but it works on our (retail) PS4. Hope this helps.

Edit: ah, I see someone beat me to it. Alright, crisis averted anyway.

This is lame. I can understand a day 1 patch, but to sell an unplayable game without the use of the internet is horse shit. I feel bad for the people who purchase this game without an internet connection.

Of course just as I hit post the story is false. Good news,and hope this shit never comes to fruition.

Just checked the original source : for the love of God

The guy has 200
Tweets and 20 followers and THAT is the source ? I mean come on folks this kind of news needs to be treated with good sources. Anyone can say something which might not be true

gruenel

Here's the deal. At our headquarters (of two of the biggest dutch gaming websites) we have the retail version (PS4-version). It works, without a patch. So there's that. I'm not saying everyone else is wrong, but it works on our (retail) PS4. Hope this helps.

Good. Thanks.

Bgamer90

Banned
This info is inaccurate.

Capture.jpg

Good news then. Thanks for replying.

Green Yoshi

This info is inaccurate.

Thanks. Can you confirm the size of the Day 1 patch?

Top Bottom