• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Wolfenstein: Why Did Bethesda Forsake It?

jakdex

Sep 20, 2006
Loved the series till the New Order and Old Blood, then...

Eh, i'll pass thanx.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saber and Drew1440

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
May 13, 2006
Machine Gun games are overrated. Im trying to play New Colossus again, and the story is just beyond cringe. Fraun Engel is just a weak super bad. She’s annoying, the good guys are annoying

I played both TNO and TNC expecting exactly what wolfenstein is, over the top everywhere. Even the original one was a parody of nazis.

The_Mike

Nov 5, 2017
Denmark
I had a ton of fun with that game, played through it in its entirety with my girlfriend.

Loved the Arkaney map design and movement mechanics. We pretty much 100 percented it in terms of collectibles as well.
That's not because the game was great, but because you had fun playing it with your GF.

Jul 2, 2014
I couldn't get into youngblood but I enjoyed the two new ones a lot. I actually thought the writing was great overall.

Rubberwald

Feb 18, 2019
I’ve played all Wolfenstein games and the new ones are by far the best. I actually enjoy the stealth aspect and I love the shooting mechanics, but what works for me the most is the tone and characterisation. I don’t know how they managed it, but it walks a fine line between extremely silly and somber. BJ Blazkowicz is a great character: he is kind of a boring beefcake, but people around him make him interesting. He will be exhausted, hurt and dragged through the most terrible of scenarios, but he will still fight for a better world that he, himself, will never truly belong in. Great games.

Reactions: Mister Wolf
Aug 26, 2018
I mean the last Wolfenstein game came out in 2019...how is that a long time ago ? I hated the second one, marketing wise it was gonna be fun but when I played it...it was somehow boring. New Order was great.

ToTTenTranz

Feb 4, 2021
I completed all post-RTCW PC games to date. I tried to play Youngblood with a friend when I had gamepass, but after less than a hour we gave up because it was so bad..

Nah, people kicked up a fuss about New Colossus. The advertising campaign poked fun at Trump so some of those folks got mad and started screaming about SJW agendas and propaganda in a game where you fight Nazis on the moon. Others got mad that BJ had a black girlfriend as a kid or some shit. It was ridiculous, whatever it was, it was long enough ago that I've forgotten.

As someone not from the US, it seems clear to me that their population is over polarized and both sides act like fragile little flowers when their preferred candidates are mocked and at the same time like pretentious dogpiling bullies when the adversary candidates are mocked instead.
So whomever thought that poking fun at whatever US political figure in 2019 was a good idea, did a pretty stupid thing by themselves, was directly responsible for losing sales and should have been fired.

In the end, the devs who actually dedicated their blood, sweat and tears on making the game were the ones who lost the most with that kind of stupidity, as AFAIK yearly bonuses tend to depend not only on critics' ratings but also the games' sales (even it they're indirectly influenced by the publisher's revenue).

Last edited:

jakdex

Sep 20, 2006
Well Dr.Morris79 Dr.Morris79 already said better than i could put it.
Also OP if you want more insight on the current Wolfstein games the GmanLives reviews, he made them for the whole series and he actually talk about the gameplay in them:

johntown

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
East Coast
I enjoyed The New Order and The Old Blood. The New Colossus was okay but I didn't like the story or the characters......they made the game much less enjoyable IMO. I hated the enigma puzzles just to even be able to play extra content. Youngblood was just cancer and I never even tried it.

All I need is over the top solid and challenging FPS action with a minimal story.