• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: Why Did Bethesda Forsake It?

jakdex

Loved the series till the New Order and Old Blood, then...

image.png

Eh, i'll pass thanx.

Last edited:

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Machine Gun games are overrated. Im trying to play New Colossus again, and the story is just beyond cringe. Fraun Engel is just a weak super bad. She’s annoying, the good guys are annoying

I played both TNO and TNC expecting exactly what wolfenstein is, over the top everywhere. Even the original one was a parody of nazis.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I had a ton of fun with that game, played through it in its entirety with my girlfriend.

Loved the Arkaney map design and movement mechanics. We pretty much 100 percented it in terms of collectibles as well.
That's not because the game was great, but because you had fun playing it with your GF.

Roberts

I’ve played all Wolfenstein games and the new ones are by far the best. I actually enjoy the stealth aspect and I love the shooting mechanics, but what works for me the most is the tone and characterisation. I don’t know how they managed it, but it walks a fine line between extremely silly and somber. BJ Blazkowicz is a great character: he is kind of a boring beefcake, but people around him make him interesting. He will be exhausted, hurt and dragged through the most terrible of scenarios, but he will still fight for a better world that he, himself, will never truly belong in. Great games.

Forsythia

I didn't like 2009 that much, but it's still worth a playthrough. Let's hope MS can get it rereleased on Steam and Xbox.

I mean the last Wolfenstein game came out in 2019...how is that a long time ago ? I hated the second one, marketing wise it was gonna be fun but when I played it...it was somehow boring. New Order was great.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I completed all post-RTCW PC games to date. I tried to play Youngblood with a friend when I had gamepass, but after less than a hour we gave up because it was so bad..

Nah, people kicked up a fuss about New Colossus. The advertising campaign poked fun at Trump so some of those folks got mad and started screaming about SJW agendas and propaganda in a game where you fight Nazis on the moon. Others got mad that BJ had a black girlfriend as a kid or some shit. It was ridiculous, whatever it was, it was long enough ago that I've forgotten.

As someone not from the US, it seems clear to me that their population is over polarized and both sides act like fragile little flowers when their preferred candidates are mocked and at the same time like pretentious dogpiling bullies when the adversary candidates are mocked instead.
So whomever thought that poking fun at whatever US political figure in 2019 was a good idea, did a pretty stupid thing by themselves, was directly responsible for losing sales and should have been fired.

In the end, the devs who actually dedicated their blood, sweat and tears on making the game were the ones who lost the most with that kind of stupidity, as AFAIK yearly bonuses tend to depend not only on critics' ratings but also the games' sales (even it they're indirectly influenced by the publisher's revenue).

Last edited:

jakdex

Well Dr.Morris79 Dr.Morris79 already said better than i could put it.
Also OP if you want more insight on the current Wolfstein games the GmanLives reviews, he made them for the whole series and he actually talk about the gameplay in them:

johntown

Banned
I enjoyed The New Order and The Old Blood. The New Colossus was okay but I didn't like the story or the characters......they made the game much less enjoyable IMO. I hated the enigma puzzles just to even be able to play extra content. Youngblood was just cancer and I never even tried it.

All I need is over the top solid and challenging FPS action with a minimal story.

Cryio

Recently finished Wolfenstein 2009 and the overall feeling I have it that ... it's fun but janky.
You have to mod in F5 Quick Save. If you dare quick save during boss fights, you might break scripting. I actually broke the final boss, so I couldn't finish the last 2 minutes of the game, lol.

Difficulty is on the Easy side, though I did play on Medium (was in the mood of zoning out with some FPS games).

Visually, it's holds up better than I expected. The texture work, bump mapping and shadowing of id Tech 4 was really something else. Played in 4K, with ReShade SMAA/FidelityFX Sharpening/SSR/MXAO for that modern boost to the visuals. AO especially helps a lot.

The game's default FOV is anemic unfortunately and the only known mod that helps improve it breaks Depth of Field as a side effect. So half the game, you have to play with Post-Processing Off

Game is limited to 60 Hz and there's no getting around it. Too bad, 120-144 FPS would've been a blast. I could do a solid 4K90 fps in Quake 4 and an easy 4K120 in Singularity (id Tech 4 vs Unreal 3, I know, but still). But here? Nah, locked to 60.

You can sort of move your head by 5 degrees and THEN the weapon reticle will follow along. The primary reason why the game had a euro-jank feel for me.

Even if the game is pumping out 60 fps, either in DirectX9 or in Vulkan (I played with DXVK Async), there is constant judder in a LOT of spots, mostly the hub maps, like the game is furiously alternating between 40 to 60 fps in spots. I don't know why, I could never fix this. Oh well.

All in all? A solid 7.5 game. Extremely fun, still pretty, solid shooting, fun weapons (the Tesla gun is SOO GOOD), dumb/forgettable story and voice acting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom