• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood Review Thread

Orpheum

Didn't even know this is a fucking rpg shooter now. Why are there health bars and levels in a wolfenstein game?? Also the main protagonists seem cringey as hell. From what i've seen it looks really bad. What the fuck is going on here???

Fuck, time to cancel Skill Up too. I don’t care if he’s Australian. He’s still white.

Skill Up has already been canceled.

Also:

jjrjr.jpg

Is this shit for real and in game? MachineGames really have gone off the deep end if true. This is truly the worst timeline, TNO and TOB were so good.

mcz117chief

This is truly the worst timeline, TNO and TOB were so good.
No, they weren't. They are both passable but I would never dare to call either of them good. I did finish both of them on UBER but anything that looked like it could be interesting in the game disappointed me greatly, which means exactly everything after the 1st level in TNO. It is a real shame because the 1st level is absolutely amazing and really got everything right, but then it turned to shit with everything being recycled from the 1st level, there are literally no surprises in the game, everything is in the 1st level. The only reason I did finish the game (it took me like 2 years) was because I kept hoping it would return to the quality of the 1st level, but it never did.
Old Blood has an awesome ending which really felt like Wolfenstein again with all the zombies and monsters. The only reason why I even bothered with Old Blood was because it was supposed to feature Wolfenstein (it kind of does but doesn't at the same time, real disappointing) and monsters that only appear at the very very end. So I had to drag myself through that shit again just to get to that one good part.
Really, the 1st level of TNO and last level of TOB are the only thing worth it in the whole damn series.

Oh yeah, also, BJ is a shit character (Anna too), the only character I like in the whole series is Max. Return the Castle Wolfenstein is still my one and true BJ.

Last edited:

Starfield

Woke game is garbage? Technical problems in Bethesda games? Disliking it makes you an alt-right troll?

Yep sounds like 2019.
What does that have to do with Bethesda that the game is bugged? Bethesda is merely the Publisher and Arkane Studios has nothing to do with Bethesda Game Studios.

Bethesda published games are usually quite polished or was Doom bugged too?

But hey, dumb comments will be dumb.

Last edited:
No, they weren't. They are both passable but I would never dare to call either of them good. I did finish both of them on UBER but anything that looked like it could be interesting in the game disappointed me greatly, which means exactly everything after the 1st level in TNO. It is a real shame because the 1st level is absolutely amazing and really got everything right, but then it turned to shit with everything being recycled from the 1st level, there are literally no surprises in the game, everything is in the 1st level. The only reason I did finish the game (it took me like 2 years) was because I kept hoping it would return to the quality of the 1st level, but it never did.
Old Blood has an awesome ending which really felt like Wolfenstein again with all the zombies and monsters. The only reason why I even bothered with Old Blood was because it was supposed to feature Wolfenstein (it kind of does but doesn't at the same time, real disappointing) and monsters that only appear at the very very end. So I had to drag myself through that shit again just to get to that one good part.
Really, the 1st level of TNO and last level of TOB are the only thing worth it in the whole damn series.

Oh yeah, also, BJ is a shit character (Anna too), the only character I like in the whole series is Max. Return the Castle Wolfenstein is still my one and true BJ.

This is a very well thought out post so I'm really trying not to answer with a "well, that's just, like, your opinion man", but I just disagree with your take on the games. While I'll concede that both feature somewhat repetitive level design, I think the games are fun on a basic gameplay level. Like shooting shit is just fun. There's a bit of an issue with the speed you move and hitscan enemies which reduce the skill in defensive movement, but it increases the need for precise shots and offensive moving, like moving towards a position better suited to take out multiple enemies quickly. The games do give you a specific zone where you're moving around like a death machine with calculated routes. I think they're both a LOT of fun and feel very satisfying. They're not DOOM, but they're above stuff like COD or BF campaigns. That seems like a low bar to clear, but yeah it's slim pickings for great FPS these days.

Fuz

Banned
I didn't play the game but most of the complain I here from Youngblood is it has really bad design, "woke" or not it still would be pretty terrible game.
I saw the Skillup review and he complained a lot about the cringy writing and terrible characters. This is what happens when you let these people:

jjrjr.jpg

write games*.

* or any kind of story.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Apart from Black Ops 3 all I played are sublime. But I haven't played all of them. My favourite are MW3 and Infinite Warfare.

Infinite Warfare was great and didn't even feel like a COD game. It was just a straight sci fi FPS. The dogfights in space were a blast.

Makariel

Apart from Black Ops 3 all I played are sublime. But I haven't played all of them. My favourite are MW3 and Infinite Warfare.
Infinite warfare was great, not too big fan of MW3 mysel, but it was a decent recovery after they jumped the shark in modern warfare 2. The first modern warfare is still my favorite CoD campaign.

I am really confused. It looks like this game is trying to stuff open world RPG quests and side missions into a linear FPS. It looks very clunky and unappealing having to go into options to check your missions. Hate the corridor wave-after-wave of enemy coming at you.

Sorry to the developers, but no bueno:(

sol_bad

I saw the Skillup review and he complained a lot about the cringy writing and terrible characters. This is what happens when you let these people:

Let's not get hyperbolic here, the majority of his video complained about gameplay elements and not the story. Yeah, he touched on the story but not for long.

niilokin

So next wolfenstein probably takes place in the 2000s or what... I'm really lost on the story. How the hell does the nazi regime just continue to exist when a single man and two women can kill generals/Hitler and 1000s of soldiers. Wolfenstein has become a terribly written cash grab.

Heinrich

Banned
Keep in mind that sites reviews represents their opinion and not urs. How many times we got a mediocre scores for games and turned out to be good? Days Gone is the latest example

not really, days gone is crap and I think the scores were even too high for this game

Saruhashi

Banned
Seeing the bad reviews and general cringey awfulness makes me glad I didn't buy this.

It seems really crazy to me that when creating a "Wolfenstein" game you wouldn't focus mostly on trying to appeal to your already established audience.
The only reason I can see is that you want to use the branding to boost sales of a very different product but then is that really how brands work?

Like if you were trying to sell a line of "Nike" branded hamburgers knowing that most people who buy Nike stuff are looking for cool sneakers or other sporty clothing and/or equipment. It makes no fucking sense.

Even the main characters here seem like that misguided attempt to court a new audience using an old brand.

There is probably NOTHING that could be done to make my wife decide that picking up the next Wolfenstein game is something she wanted to do. Unless you turned it into Mario Kart or Pokemon or a laid back platformer or something. It's just not going to happen. Just like she isn't going to get into Dark Souls or Elder Scrolls etc.

Sometimes it feels like developers of certain franchises are so disconnected from their core audience. They either want to move away from that audience and find a new one or they just don't know what people want anymore.

sol_bad

Seeing this game honestly does scare me for Doom Eternal in a way. If I'm being honest, they haven't shown a whole lot of single player game play in all it's marketing. Makes me wonder if they are hiding something.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Wait, he stopped reviewing? Gonna unsub then. That's the only reason why I subbed.

He still reviews, he just doesn't have time to review everything. Del does the smaller reviews that are smaller budget.

*EDIT*
Joe just reviewed Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Wait, he stopped reviewing? Gonna unsub then. That's the only reason why I subbed.

He does like three reviews per year now :/ He's more of a streamer now, because that's where the real money is. Plus he probably lost the spark he had before and through aging etc. he probably doesn't really care enough about games anymore. He does quite a few movie reviews nowadays.

Last edited:

sol_bad

He does like three reviews per year now :/ He's more of a streamer now, because that's where the real money is. Plus he probably lost the spark he had before and through aging etc. he probably doesn't really care enough about games anymore. He does quite a few movie reviews nowadays.

He did 12 reviews last year and he has done 7 reviews this year.......

Patrick S.

Banned
He did 12 reviews last year and he has done 7 reviews this year.......

So he's still averaging one review per month? Somehow I don't get notifications about them anymore, only notifications about his movie reviews... Still, that schedule he and Other Joe posted quite a while ago that he was going to follow because supposedly he was hearing his fans who were complaining about the small amount of reviews he was outputting was total bullshit. I knew it the minute I saw it.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
He still reviews, he just doesn't have time to review everything. Del does the smaller reviews that are smaller budget.

*EDIT*
Joe just reviewed Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

I find the rapid reviews very boring though. His reviews was the only reason I was subbed.

bilderberg

Skill Up has already been canceled.

Also:

jjrjr.jpg

Is this shit for real and in game? MachineGames really have gone off the deep end if true. This is truly the worst timeline, TNO and TOB were so good.

Writers today are more concerned about self fulfilling wokeness than actually creating anything with nuance. It's lazy pandering.

Last edited:
Writers today are more concerned about self fulfilling wokeness than actually creating anything with nuance. It's lazy pandering.

Yeah, it sounds like what a stupid teenager would write. I suppose stuff like this truly was inevitable when you consider the culture we currently consume compulsively.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
After reading and watching bunch of review for this game, I want to ask why these girl is written as two gross guys? Is that their idea of “strong female lead”?

This mostly my personal opinion but one thing I didn't like about Aloy in Horizon is she basically acts like a guy and you can just replace her with male lead and it wouldn't change nothing about the story or the personality. Since when being feminine became "bad" character traits for female characters?

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I liked this series but this just doesn't seem like it's made for fans of the previous games. I thought TNC was a dip from the first in areas, but all this new gameplay stuff sounds awful.

Bethesda has rapidly fallen for me. I wouldn't be shocked if the next Doom fucking blows.

Top Bottom