• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman countersues the family of a 17 year old she killed with her car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) sure they could have. But that's not the point, I merely provided that there was a possibility none of them or maybe one was conscious at the time.

There's a possibility that they deliberately smashed themselves into her car. Unfounded hypotheticals are useless.

2) well if probably isn't good enough for you, then what is? Sorry I don't know every single fact to this case. I put together what I know at the time and came to a guess.

You've made no effort to learn the facts. You didn't even bother to read the links in your own OP.

She should be executed.
Not for hitting the boys, but for filing this lawsuit.
A lot of kneejerk reactions here. Yours takes the cake.

If she really has been harassed by the family and sued by them making claims that aren't true, then yeah I don't think counter suing to stop it is that bad at least. Of course, I don't know the exact details but I think there's enough reason to not just go judging it so black and white.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
conspiracy-keanu-meme-generator-what-if-this-planet-is-a-reality-tv-show-for-other-planets-8d371f.jpg

Cat Party

The countersuit is a common legal measure and is effectively defensive in this case and thousands of others.

Are you suggesting that it is common for a defendant in a wrongful death lawsuit to counterclaim against the dead person or his or her family?

Shadownet

Banned
There's a possibility that they deliberately smashed themselves into her car. Unfounded hypotheticals are useless.

You've made no effort to learn the facts. You didn't even bother to read the links in your own OP.

As someone pointed out earlier, some of the facts in the articles I posted were later believe to be false. Like the husband was a local officer. Etc. Some article were just copy and pasting one another.

What was I supposed to do? I read the damn links.

As someone pointed out earlier, some of the facts in the articles I posted were later believe to be false. Like the husband was a local officer. Etc. Some article were just copy and pasting one another.

What was I supposed to do? I read the damn links.

you went off on a conspiracy tangent. that's what you're NOT supposed to do. and you kept arguing when you were proven wrong

3 boys were in the accident, not 1.

Did you even read the article I linked? The witness says she found one boy in the road, I know there were three in total that were struck. I'm wondering why a police officer would be so negligent to not perform cpr and to leave the boy in the road.

It's not miles per hour, it's kilometers per hour people. You know, the metric system, the system where the units of measurement actually make some fucking sense.

NinjaBoiX

Can't fucking stand this sueing culture. "A horrible tragedy/unfortunate accident occurred, it was really anyone's fault. Now gimme some money!"

1. Complain
2. Blame
3. ????
4. Profit

This is fucked, but it is strange that it sounds like these guys were essentially biking on a highway at night in the rain.

Horrible about his brother committing suicide, can't even imagine what the parents are going through.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Are you suggesting that it is common for a defendant in a wrongful death lawsuit to counterclaim against the dead person or his or her family?

I am suggesting it is a common legal defensive move, to launch a countersuit when the subject of the original suit feels the suit is without basis.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
This is the second time I've seen this in OP this week.

As you can see, there are two distinct colours, displaying the two countries "America" and "Canada"

I'm sorry, can you highlight the country labeled "America" on that map?

malfcn

It's an unfortunate case. It can legit be hard to see people in the dark in the street. If they had little to no reflectors they could have been invisible. If she did flee, that's messed up.

And I thought Canada was part of North America.

This is the second time I've seen this in OP this week.

As you can see, there are two distinct colours, displaying the two countries "America" and "Canada"

America is the continent consisting of both north and south America. Of course many people consider America=United States of America but it's not.

Oppo

That's up for debate because many people don't consider north and south america to be separate continents, it's just america to them.

I've never heard that. What a weird argument.

Everyone knows what "I'm going to America" means.

Zoe

That's up for debate because many people don't consider north and south america to be separate continents, it's just america to them.

You don't see people going around calling Mexicans or Brazilians "American", but for some reason people are getting in a tizzy lately when someone tries to distinguish Canada from America.

Do Canadians really call themselves American? Really?

The Americas
Speakers of English generally refer to the landmasses of North America and South America as the Americas, the Western Hemisphere, or the New World.[87] The adjective American may be used to indicate something pertains to the Americas,[2] but this term is primarily used in English to indicate something pertains to the United States.[2][88][89] Some non-ambiguous alternatives exist, such as the adjective Pan-American

The English-language use of "American" as the demonym for citizens of the United States has caused offense to some from Latin America[93] who may identify themselves with the term "American" and feel that using the term solely for the United States misappropriates it.[94] To avoid this usage, they prefer constructed terms in their languages derived from "United States" or even "North America".[89][95][96] In Canada, its southern neighbor is often referred to as "the United States", "the U.S.A.", or (informally) "the States," while citizens are generally referred to as Americans.[89] Most Canadians resent being referred to as Americans,[89] but some are said to have protested the use of American as a national demonym.[89][97]

I think I speak for most Canadians posting in this thread that we'd be up in arms if people called us Americans.

You don't see people going around calling Mexicans or Brazilians "American", but for some reason people are getting in a tizzy lately when someone tries to distinguish Canada from America.

Do Canadians really call themselves American? Really?

There seems to be a bit of a trend toward almost preemptive correction of American haughtiness. Kinda strange.

Laieon

If North and South America are the same continent, then surely Europe, Asia, and Africa are as well. After all, they're all on the same giant rock.

Dunlop

Bingo, Canadian and proud!

+ 1

I could never consider someone who does not drink milk from a bag by brother :p

Concerning the OP, I understand why the women is doing it (counter lawsuit) but she can just rot in hell for putting more torment on those parents

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Why is this topic about what we should call Canada?

I wish I could tell you, I feel like the main topic at hand is still largely an unfinished discussion.

So anyways the way I understand it is.

Lady kills a kid, it was ruled an accident. No charges
Kids parents are not happy with this so they pursue the lady.
Lady gets fed up with this and sues them for harassing her.

Honestly it's easy to see the victim here as the parents but there are two victims here really, accidentally killing some one else's child isn't something you can just wash away. Sure it's not as tragic for her as it is to the family, but I don't think those psychological scars will heal for a while.

I don't think we should call her the scum of the earth for counter suing, but I don't think she's correct in her decision to sue them either. no matter how much legal precedent she had.

Brakke

Banned
Did you even read the article I linked? The witness says she found one boy in the road, I know there were three in total that were struck. I'm wondering why a police officer would be so negligent to not perform cpr and to leave the boy in the road.

CPR is used on people experiencing cardiac arrest and sometimes people who aren't breathing but not just "anyone who is injured", even catastrophically. The boy died in hospital hours after the accident.

Sometimes, if you know there's nothing you can do to help someone, you might prioritize helping your panicked, hyper-ventilating wife who's sitting in her car going into shock. Guy made a triage call, and the prosecutors didn't bring any kind of negligence charges against either the wife or the husband. You should rest assured that these "wonderings" you have are answered.

ShaneB

Saw this the other day and meant to post it =( Makes me sick, what a despicable woman to even think of doing this after what she did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom