• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman records boyfriend after getting shot by the Police on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
saw this on the web - powerful stuff

11326308_174583422878925_1534463743_n.jpg

wildfire

Banned
I was a passenger in a car when my friend got pulled over in what they thought was a stolen car. It was his car. Cop pulled his gun on us, told us to put our hands on the roof so we raised our hands. When he pulled my friend out of the drivers seat to cuff him my hands started to come down. When he noticed he leaned inside the car and pointed the gun right at my face screaming to show my hands or he was going to blow my head off. I raised my hands again. Thank god im not dead.

It's crazy you came so close to dying over nothing.

If there was a job that probably most people would celebrate being replaced by robots it's law enforcement. Even if cars were built in with cameras to record these incidents there needs to be a fundamental change in how police or held responsible for their most reckless actions.

F34R

I'm glad you're good at your job. Help your peers with this.
I wish it was that easy for other places. All the guys, and ladies, I worked with were top notch. You didn't have this mess. We talked about enforcement issues that were systemic in other areas and how we keep it from happening where we worked.

I'm retired now.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Deep racism in major critical institutions. Just never really liked black or brown people. There has been progress, but it is quite slow.

This, coupled with a love of violence and an abundance of guns.

Lots of European countries have deep seated racism too but don't experience even a fraction of events like this. Something about our firearm happy, paranoid populace allows shit like this to happen regularly.

BreakJohn

Absolutely fucking disgusting. Just heard this on the news and seriously got sick to my stomach. This cop deserves 25 to life for this, nothing less.

Thank God for live streaming.

Shows our country has a broken soul. A deranged sense of priorities, responsibilities, and so very little accountability. So much fear, and so much abuse.

This is so fucking heartbreaking. And infuriating.

entremet

The Second Amendment's Second-Class Citizens

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...g-philando-castile-2nd-amendment-guns/490301/

The shootings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile share several striking, stomach-churning similarities: They were black men, killed by police, in deeply segregated communities. Both killings were captured on video, a product of an age in which anyone can tape an encounter with police—and increasingly, anyone, especially anyone black, realizes doing so may be important.

But both Castile and Sterling also shared one other thing in common: Both men were apparently carrying guns when they were killed.

According to Lavish Reynolds, Castile’s girlfriend who was in a car with him when he was shot and posted a Facebook video of the aftermath, the officer asked Castile for his license and registration. As he reached for his wallet, he also told the officer than he had a concealed-carry permit and a gun. Reynolds said the officer told him not to move, but as Castile tried to put his hands up, he was shot and killed.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
https://twitter.com/TooMuchMe/status/751076078458986496

NRA has no comment right now and says they might not comment at all

this is openly racist if you ask me

I always half joke that if we really want gun reform in America, every single black person in the country needs to purchase a firearm. The prospect of 36 million legally armed black people will light a fire under the asses of the NRA and no-compromise Republicans in office so fast.

This story just destroys me. A legally licensed firearm carrier, does the responsible thing and tells the officer that he's armed, and he's killed for it. And a busted tail light. I literally feel like there is nothing I'm allowed to do legally that won't end in me getting killed. I think I must have been out of my mind when I married a white woman. I should just keep a noose in my back pocket and save the mobs the trouble...

Going Coastal10 minutes ago
Frankly, this woman doesn't seem emotionally stable enough to be a police officer.

Furthermore, the woman in this video has absolutely no respect for the Constitution. After all, the Constitution guarantees a right to due process and our legal system guarantees a presumption of innocence until guilt is proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

With all of this in mind, it should be noted that the Baton Rouge officers in the Sterling case have not been charged with any crimes and Sterling's shooting is still under investigation. Be that as it may, this hysterical woman feels comfortable lambasting the officers as murderers.

Personally, I'm not sure if the Baton Rouge officers were right or wrong in the Sterling shooting. However, I am sure about one thing: The woman in this video has a blatant disrespect for the American criminal-justice system.

wow

I remember watching a BBC Scotland programme a while back about American cops coming to Scotland to learn how the police here deal with confrontations, it was a great watch but I can only find this clip from it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v8qa5Wk_f7U

The admittance from the American cops that "he would have been shot, he would be dead" when viewing a training exercise is startling and the look on their faces when they see how our police deal with a guy with a machete is a look of shock and bewilderment.

The real tragedy happening in America isn't that these young men are being slayen (although it is and it is horrendous and what looks to me like acts of criminality by the police) but it's the fact that it keeps happening, all the time and no one seems to be able to do anything about it. So so sad.

Should not have watched this before having to be social...

When the realization hit that she wasn't just recording malfeasance but her boyfriend's last moments... just chilling.

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy shit, this is unreal. Unreal, truly.

I can't believe this shit. This video is just.. what the fuck.

I always have joke that if we really want gun reform in America, every single black person in the country needs to purchase a firearm. The prospect of 36 million legally armed black people will light a fire under the asses of the NRA and no-compromise Republicans in office so fast.

This story just destroys me. A legally licensed firearm carrier, does the responsible thing and tells the officer that he's armed, and he's killed for it. And a busted tail light. I literally feel like there is nothing I'm allowed to do legally that won't end in me getting killed. I think I must have been out of mind when I married a white woman. I should just keep a noose in my back pocket and save the mobs the trouble...

I feel like I heard somewhere that the Black Panthers legally open carrying in the 70's ended up leading to stricter gun control laws.

This Minnesota governor.... what a terrible speaker, my god.

Edit: Apologies if it is due to some potential speech issue. Just never heard him speak before, obviously.

qcf x2

This is horrifying, but I am so glad she live streamed all of it. Fuck the frat mentality "justice" and "law enforcement" systems we have. Fuck anybody who defends any of it.

Saddest thing is do I think it will change in my lifetime? Nope.

milkham

This got me thinking about that couple who got shot while sleeping in a car because cops felt threatened. Is there any update on that? I did a quick search and only saw articles about the initial incident.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I was a passenger in a car when my friend got pulled over in what they thought was a stolen car. It was his car. Cop pulled his gun on us, told us to put our hands on the roof so we raised our hands. When he pulled my friend out of the drivers seat to cuff him my hands started to come down. When he noticed he leaned inside the car and pointed the gun right at my face screaming to show my hands or he was going to blow my head off. I raised my hands again. Thank god im not dead.

That is so fucking horrifying. I live in Los Angeles, and the tension between police and blacks is still pretty thick. I always freeze up when I have to interact with a cop, or if one pulls me over for whatever reason.

My best friend, he's white and Persian (but looks white), was telling me about this one time him and his friend were driving on the freeway (his friend was black, my white friend was driving), and they got pulled over. When the officer got out of the car, he approached the black passenger and demanded that HE get out of the car, then proceeded to slam him against the car and cuff him, demanding answers to questions. My friend was like, "What the hell, dude, he wasn't even driving the car!" at which point he was told to shut the fuck up by the officer, and he continued to harass his friend. Fucking unbelievable, but it happens regularly.

My mom also has plenty of stories about how the cops used to harass her when she was younger, and she worked at Warner Bros. studios before I was born. Granted, that was in the 70's, but sadly, not much has changed when it comes to how we're perceived by non-blacks. We're always treated like wild animals that have been caged for too long and can pop off at any moment.

Most black kids in America have been grilled time and time again by their parents about how they should behave and act when around white people. It sounds awful, because it is, but it's true. I had more than a few sit downs growing up, where my mother would drill into me how important it was to "not give them a reason" to think less of you. I grew up trying to be the most perfect black guy I could be. I did everything I could to show non-blacks that we were nothing like the people they saw on TV, or read about in the newspaper. I had no idea at the time that it really doesn't matter how polite I am. How intelligent I am, how "well spoken" I am. To a lot of them, I'm just an uppity nigger with a chip on his shoulder.

Even then, I still continue to be the best person that I can be. Not because I'm afraid of white people, but because it feels good to not be a douche canoe to others, and ideally, I'd hope the same courtesy would be returned to me. Unfortunately, this country has a real fucking hard time seeing black people as equal humans. Centuries of dehumanization and demonizing has done a fucking wonder on our PR, so to speak. Even other countries are afraid of us because of what they've seen and heard in the media or news reports that choose to highlight the worst of us more often than the best of us.

I'm a short, light skinned black/Samoan guy that most people don't realize is black. The shit I've heard some of the nicest people in the world say about black people in my presence is disheartening. The look on their faces when I tell them, "Well, I'm black too, you know," is fucking priceless. And it wasn't just white people saying those things about black people to me, thinking I wasn't black. It was people of all ethnicities and backgrounds going on and on about how horrible, filthy, disgusting, and deplorable black people were, and how they were a hopeless race of people that no good ever comes out of.

Generally, they'd stammer a "Well, you're not like them" rebuttal when I'd out myself as a black guy. I was "one of the good ones." The sad thing is that, when I was younger, I used to wear that like a badge of honor. "I'm one of the good ones! The other blacks are bad!" I bought into the same institutional and systemic racism that leads to tragedies like this. The type of institutional racism that has black men and women that have managed to ascend higher than their peers to tell them to "pull their damn pants up." I'm not sure what you'd call it, but it's a shame that such a divide between our people has been allowed to propagate. I'm thankful that, as I got older, I realized how insulting and disrespectful being called "One of the good ones" really is. It's even sadder that, even to this day, it's still said to me by non-black friends, or family of friends. It's sad and frustrating that no matter what level of good blacks do in this country, we will always be judged by the actions of a few, and treated with the highest levels of fear and distrust.

This man was innocent, and he was murdered. That's the most terrifying thing about this. Even if he was a criminal, he didn't deserve to be executed for a busted tail light.

This shit just makes me tired, and I don't even know how to keep moving forward with my head high. That seems to just make it an easier target.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
That governor looks like a deer in headlights.

3X7HDF3.jpg

This is a horrible tragedy, but I couldn't help but crack up at the expressions on the faces of the man and woman behind him. I don't know what the governor is saying, but their expressions are like, "Get the fuck outta here, you don't ever have to worry about this shit in your life."

Gattsu25

Banned
That is so fucking horrifying. I live in Los Angeles, and the tension between police and blacks is still pretty thick. I always freeze up when I have to interact with a cop, or if one pulls me over for whatever reason.

My best friend, he's white and Persian (but looks white), was telling me about this one time him and his friend were driving on the freeway (his friend was black, my white friend was driving), and they got pulled over. When the officer got out of the car, he approached the black passenger and demanded that HE get out of the car, then proceeded to slam him against the car and cuff him, demanding answers to questions. My friend was like, "What the hell, dude, he wasn't even driving the car!" at which point he was told to shut the fuck up by the officer, and he continued to harass his friend. Fucking unbelievable, but it happens regularly.

My mom also has plenty of stories about how the cops used to harass her when she was younger, and she worked at Warner Bros. studios before I was born. Granted, that was in the 70's, but sadly, not much has changed when it comes to how we're perceived by non-blacks. We're always treated like wild animals that have been caged for too long and can pop off at any moment.

Most black kids in America have been grilled time and time again by their parents about how they should behave and act when around white people. It sounds awful, because it is, but it's true. I had more than a few sit downs growing up, where my mother would drill into me how important it was to "not give them a reason" to think less of you. I grew up trying to be the most perfect black guy I could be. I did everything I could to show non-blacks that we were nothing like the people they saw on TV, or read about in the newspaper. I had no idea at the time that it really doesn't matter how polite I am. How intelligent I am, how "well spoken" I am. To a lot of them, I'm just an uppity nigger with a chip on his shoulder.

Even then, I still continue to be the best person that I can be. Not because I'm afraid of white people, but because it feels good to not be a douche canoe to others, and ideally, I'd hope the same courtesy would be returned to me. Unfortunately, this country has a real fucking hard time seeing black people as equal humans. Centuries of dehumanization and demonizing has done a fucking wonder on our PR, so to speak. Even other countries are afraid of us because of what they've seen and heard in the media or news reports that choose to highlight the worst of us more often than the best of us.

I'm a short, light skinned black/Samoan guy that most people don't realize is black. The shit I've heard some of the nicest people in the world say about black people in my presence is disheartening. The look on their faces when I tell them, "Well, I'm black too, you know," is fucking priceless. And it wasn't just white people saying those things about black people to me, thinking I wasn't black. It was people of all ethnicities and backgrounds going on and on about horrible, filthy, disgusting, and deplorable black people were, and how they were a hopeless race of people that no good ever comes out of.

Generally, they'd stammer a "Well, you're not like them" rebuttal when I'd out myself as a black guy. I was "one of the good ones." The sad thing is that, when I was younger, I used to wear that like a badge of honor. "I'm one of the good ones! The other blacks are bad!" I bought into the same institutional and systemic racism that leads to tragedies like this. The type of institutional racism that has black men and women that have managed to ascend higher than their peers to tell them to "pull their damn pants up." I'm not sure what you'd call it, but it's a shame that such a divide between our people has been allowed to propagate. I'm thankful that, as I got older, I realized how insulting and disrespectful being called "One of the good ones" really is. It's even sadder that, even to this day, it's still said to me by non-black friends, or family of friends. It's sad and frustrating that no matter what level of good blacks do in this country, we will always be judged by the actions of a few, and treated with the highest levels of fear and distrust.

This man was innocent, and he was murdered. That's the most terrifying thing about this. Even if he was a criminal, he didn't deserve to be executed for a busted tail light.

This shit just makes me tired, and I don't even know how to keep moving forward with my head high. That seems to just make it an easier target.

Another powerful post.

Regarding your last line, that really was the top reason for why people got lynched. For being (or looking) successful.

Why are people making fun of the Governor? Didn't he straight up say that this wouldn't happened if Castile was white? Consider what normal PR bullshit would come out of someone in his position this close to the event. I've never see this before.

qcf x2

When I was 18, I took a road trip to another city with a friend of mine. We were driving back and doing about 10 over the speed limit to switch lanes when a FHP (highway patrol) car swerves out of the interstate median and pulls us over. He yelled at us to not move a muscle. We waited there for 15 minutes and then an undercover pulled up behind the other officer. At that point they got out of the vehicles and pointed a gun at each of us, saying don't move, asking if we have weapons in the vehicle, license and registration slowly, can they search the trunk, etc. I didn't want to die that day so I let one search the trunk while the other had us at gunpoint. After they were done fucking around, the dude gave me a $275 fine for speeding. That was the first ticket or fine of any kind I had ever received, so they did all of that after running my information and finding it to be pristine.

I also had incidents where dogs were brought out and we were forced to line up for the dogs to bark at us. I don't smoke or anything. But tbh all of this was in central/north Florida and I moved the heck out of that area as soon as I was able. Since then I have had actually zero problems with law enforcement (thank God) but I think it's partially a regional thing, which is unfortunate for people who don't have the luxury of getting out before it's too late.

rambis

Banned
Why are people making fun of the Governor? Didn't he straight up say that this wouldn't happened if Castile was white? Consider what normal PR bullshit would come out of someone in his position this close to the event. I've never see this before.
Yeah people are ridiculous.

rambis

Banned
Really, he said that?

I hate to quote myself but I called it:
Except thats not what this is. He's straight up saying that the guy was killed because of his color. Doesnt matter what the officer is, this is the governor calling out the racism.

With the governor saying its race-related I have conflicting emotions. It's the most infuriating thing that racks my mind. I want justice, but I notice justice only comes when the cop isn't white. It's like 70% good but it feels even more fucked up...

Hard to explain because its the result I want, but it certainly doesn't feel good.

diaspora

With the governor saying its race-related I have conflicting emotions. It's the most infuriating thing that racks my mind. I want justice, but I notice justice only comes when the cop isn't white. It's like 70% good but it feels even more fucked up...

Hard to explain because its the result I want, but it certainly doesn't feel good.
It's a... Pyrrhic victory I suppose. A racist cop kills a black guy and only gets punished because he isn't white either. GG.

Gattsu25

Banned
Except thats not what this is. He's straight up saying that the guy was killed because of his color. Doesnt matter what the officer is, this is the governor calling out the racism.

He's saying the cop was (partially) at fault. It's the initial sign of the state not throwing full support behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom