• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Women in S. T. A. L. K. E. R.?

triplestation

Dec 23, 2008
NYC
S. T. A. L. K. E. R. SOC didnt have any female characters

(i dont know if there were females in COP or CS)

but i think the game having only men gave it a distinct "bro" feel

sitting at the campfire with your boys

a guitar

vodka

bread

shitty diet chicken sausage

sharing your misery

it was like hanging out with your boys

women are beautiful and pretty and i think that would water down the ugliness of the zone

what are your thoughts on women in the zone?

Last edited:

Rhazer Fusion

May 2, 2006
In my own world.
m.youtube.com
Never played Stalker, but I’m quite sure they can create some homely and rough looking women to fit in with the world with the guys if the directon of the industry is anything to go by. If they add some females, that’s fine by me.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: EDMIX

strange headache

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Jan 14, 2018
The first kind of real life Stalker I've read about was this girl, Elena. Back in the 90s or so, she was exploring the dead zone on her insane Ninja bike.

Her Chernobyl diary is still online at her old angelfire website.

I have ridden all my life and over the years I have owned several different motorbikes. I ended my search for a perfect bike with a big ninja, that boasts a mature 147 horse power, some serious bark, is fast as a bullet and comfortable for a long trips.

I travel a lot and one of my favorite destinations leads North from Kiev, towards so called Chernobyl "dead zone", which is 130kms from my home. Why my favorite? Because one can take long rides there on empty roads.

Elena is badass and is probably way tougher than 90% of the dudes who play the STALKER games.
Her diary is an amazing read and still left a mark after all those years.

Last edited:

Bonfires Down

Jul 31, 2007
I don't mind women there as long as they are written in a realistic way no chance. Either way it's really far down the list of things I care about one way or the other in the sequel.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Nov 24, 2013
The Zone has roaming bandits and other fanatic factions on top of lethal anomalies, mutant wild life and irradiated areas. To go there alone(as Stalkers tend to do) and survive consistent sorties in that area, the person has to be very physically capable, something men have an advantage in. Also as a woman in a lawless area, the threat of rape is also a much greater concern when interacting with other people there.

Last edited:
Reactions: triplestation

llien

Feb 1, 2017
Although in much smaller numbers than men, women were still among Chernobyl Liquidators.

That being said, to me, listing them feels unfair to the countless men a number of which have died in there.

As with the lady on Titanic, which actually was in the safeboat 45 mins after the collision, yet had theatrical plays dedicated to her vs countless male nobodies who have drowned with the ship, while helping others survive.

Essentially, there is "but she's a woman" to it, which is... sexist, is it not?

Women are generally less physically able than men, so men can take advantage of them.

Whats your thoughts on it?
That has nothing to do with this.
Men are more expendable from reproduction perspective and pretty much all rulers of all times have taken that into account.

xrnzaaas

Dec 9, 2013
In the world of Stalker women would have to be really tough to venture outside of safe areas or they would've already been raped and/or murdered. Same with kids.

I bet Stalker 2 will be more in line with the current western standards. ;)

Last edited:

Xdrive05

Nov 1, 2005
The first kind of real life Stalker I've read about was this girl, Elena. Back in the 90s or so, she was exploring the dead zone on her insane Ninja bike.

Her Chernobyl diary is still online at her old angelfire website.

Elena is badass and is probably way tougher than 90% of the dudes who play the STALKER games.
Her diary is an amazing read and still left a mark after all those years.

Oh, I remember this! This is some of that good, old internet.

I read somewhere that there was a hoax element to her story, though. Like, that there were shenanigans to this whole story, and that it wasn't on the up and up. I hope that's not the case.

EDIT: yeah, it's a hoax. :-(

EDIT #2: actually, now I'm not so sure, again. There's a lot of conflicting information about to what extent this blog is a "hoax". The discrepancies may actually have good explanations that make this mostly legit still. Choose your own adventure, I guess. :-/

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Jun 9, 2004
Quebec, canada
Women are generally less physically able than men, so men can take advantage of them.

Whats your thoughts on it?

Yea..

The road (book and movie), probably nailed best what would happen to women in a post apocalyptic world and it ain’t pretty.. but after the atrocities we’ve seen done to women in countries at war, who can argue that they wouldn’t be treated like shit? It’s sad really.

Last edited:

intbal

Apr 19, 2019
Now I'm questioning my memories, OP.

I could have sworn there were one or two women in the first half of Call of Pripyat. But I haven't played it in ten years. Anyone else with more recent experience and a better memory?

iJudged

Banned
Sep 14, 2013
S. T. A. L. K. E. R. SOC didnt have any female characters

(i dont know if there were females in COP or CS)

but i think the game having only men gave it a distinct "bro" feel

sitting at the campfire with your boys

a guitar

vodka

bread

shitty diet chicken sausage

sharing your misery

it was like hanging out with your boys

women are beautiful and pretty and i think that would water down the ugliness of the zone

what are your thoughts on women in the zone?
why? why did you make this thread asking this question? this is what i want to know, why?

Reactions: elliot5

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
It's not like developers care about giving a reasonable explanation to shoehorn women that are just as physically capable as men in videogames. But in STALKER it's pretty easy to do it.

Radiation made men weaker and women stronger. So now they are all equal. Problem solved. Game is now current day approved. Hey, maybe radiation also made the color of everyone's skin darker so now you don't have to explain how all these black people ended up in Chernobyl.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: GymWolf

strange headache

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Jan 14, 2018
Oh, I remember this! This is some of that good, old internet.

I read somewhere that there was a hoax element to her story, though. Like, that there were shenanigans to this whole story, and that it wasn't on the up and up. I hope that's not the case.

EDIT: yeah, it's a hoax. :-(

EDIT #2: actually, now I'm not so sure, again. There's a lot of conflicting information about to what extent this blog is a "hoax". The discrepancies may actually have good explanations that make this mostly legit still. Choose your own adventure, I guess. :-/

Man what a bummer, that story stayed with me for years only to find out it's not real. Even Neil Gaiman was fooled:

“This one left me blinking,” science fiction writer Neil Gaiman posted on his website after reading that “Elena’s” story was not entirely true. “Not so much because it was a fraud, as why anyone would bother to create such a fraud.”

Even back then, the net was full of fake news ;)

Reactions: Xdrive05

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
Do see a lot of women roaming free in the military conflicts across the world? Like Syria, Afghanistan, Africa etc. You can find a lot of men mercenaries but close to zero women.

all they need to do is hire naughty dog. they are masters of this.
It would explain some mutants :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Although in much smaller numbers than men, women were still among Chernobyl Liquidators.
Obviously there were there. Most of the jobs like stuff managing jobs, cleaners etc. were mainly female professions in soviet time. Only recently we get men there and it still feels odd.

That has nothing to do with this.
It has a lot to do with that. A lot of hard work has been always considered men's job even if they damaged their health later. Men are naturally stronger than women in equal conditions. Due to social progress, that stuff is changing - you can spend life doing nothing and be very weak - but all the dirty work, work requiring heavy lifting has always been men's job.

Last edited:
Reactions: jakdex

voidenberg

Jan 15, 2018
Maybe some of those male looking stalkers are actually women with feminine penises. You're assuming their genders and that's very problematic.

• LOL
Reactions: GymWolf

Bkdk

Dec 20, 2018
As long as they look attractive then of course it would be nice. If they are hiring those who designed female chars for western Sony aaa then no thanks. I’d rather pretend they are female chars with a manly voice.

• LOL
Reactions: jakdex and GymWolf

Woopah

Jun 15, 2019
There's no reason for women not to be in the game, just like there's no reason for men to not be in the game. There's no point in gatekeeping or adding caveats.

Ladioss

Oct 21, 2018
My memory may be messy, but weren't there some women among the clear sky and scientist factions in CS ?

Damn, I want to reinstall the game now.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Oct 21, 2019
Belgium
I don't think the original book and movie had any women inside of the zone either, and yes I realize the game has not much in common with those except for the setting and the ending.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister Wolf