• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Women suing Riot Games may be entitled to $400m not $10m

Shin

Banned
The ongoing class action lawsuit against Riot Games over alleged gender discrimination faces a remarkable new challenge, as two government agencies wade into the debate.

In December last year, a preliminary out of court settlement of $10 million was agreed upon between the Riot Games and the 1,000 plaintiffs. However, following an intervention by the Department of Fair employment and Housing (DFEH), this figure could climb to over $400 million.

The class action suit was originally filed in November 2018 after two women sued over violations of the California Equal Pay Act.

It came in the wake an exposé of alleged rampant sexual harassment and gender discrimination at the League of Legends developer, which was said to foster a sexist "bro culture" which was ignored by management for years.

In December last year, it looked as though the two parties were about to settle, simply waiting for approval from the Los Angeles Superior Court.

The intervention of two state agencies could disrupt this however, claiming that the women could be entitled to over $400 million in potential back pay -- based on the wage disparity between men and women at Riot Games.

Additionally, according to court documents seen by the LA TImes, the DFEH said that "no enforceable changes to employment policies, at a company alleged to be rife with sexism, are part of the settlement."

The DFEH also argues that the plaintiffs' legal representation Rosen Saba has been responsible for several procedural mistakes, and did not attempt to determine a fair monetary compensation.

Both Riot Games and Rosen Saba have refuted claims made against them by the state agency.

Source: GameIndustry

tkscz

Once I saw the word "could" I knew this is most likely hyperbole and that is the absolute max they can get out of them. Realistically, probably won't be 400m (I'll be shocked if it is).

sendit

Working in the tech industry. 400k In back pay isn’t that much per person given the time span that they worked.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I hope they win.

The only thing theses companies understand is money, hit them where it hurts. Its the only way they learn lol

But here is the thing. You have absolutely no idea what actually happened. You werent there, you werent involved and have no first hand knowledge of anything st all.

It's also ongoing so a verdict hasn't even been reached.

And yet here you are acting as if they are guilty of the most heinous crimes.

All these fake accusations constantly being thrown around that turn out to be false or overblown, and folks like you have turned me into a victim blamer.

stickkidsam

I hope they win.

The only thing theses companies understand is money, hit them where it hurts. Its the only way they learn lol
I'm not all that familiar with this case so forgive me, but what evidence is there to indicate they are guilty of crimes worth $400 million, or any crime at all for that matter?

EDMIX

But here is the thing. You have absolutely no idea what actually happened. You werent there, you werent involved and have no first hand knowledge of anything st all.

It's also ongoing so a verdict hasn't even been reached.

And yet here you are acting as if they are guilty of the most heinous crimes.

All these fake accusations constantly being thrown around that turn out to be false or overblown, and folks like you have turned me into a victim blamer.

Could be "fake", if real....I hope they lose millions.

stickkidsam stickkidsam Thats nice. look up the case yourself then. I hope they pay millions to send a message.

EDMIX

Cha ching!

This is the real reason for modern feminism, it's all a big scam and it's practitioners know this.

Exactly, out here FORCING Bill Cosby against his will to drug them with some sort of jedi mind tricks, can you believe them? /s

1437549511654.gif

Bkdk

That’s the penalty for business that chose to stay in California, they should’ve see this coming long ago. If I’m a business owner who insist on staying in California, I’ll fire all female workers, make sure no crap like this will happen. Is it even worth anymore it even if some female workers really have the talent?

TindalosPup

That’s the penalty for business that chose to stay in California, they should’ve see this coming long ago. If I’m a business owner who insist on staying in California, I’ll fire all female workers, make sure no crap like this will happen. Is it even worth anymore it even if some female workers really have the talent?

Firing all the female workers would be too suspicious and would probably end in a lawsuit very similar to the one the thread is about

The key is to get them to leave on their own and make them uncomfortable in the most legal and unsuspecting ways possible

Ex. : Take the mirrors out of the bathrooms, get the cheap af toilet paper that tears with every wipe, make sure there's a tampon/napkin/pad dispenser that is NEVER filled (everywhere gets away with this), and encourage employees to fart freely a work (bonus points if accompanied by a Shrek "Better out then in" motivational poster). The problem ones will be gone in no time, any that stay after that are probably cool

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
So it's just like a normal divorce - you're wealthy so you have to pay up more. It doesn't matter how you've earned it and if the other party had anything to do with it.

Handy Fake

The ins and out sof the actual case notwithstanding...

From someone looking in from across the pond, the litigation culture in the US blows my mind.

Ok, so you have no arguement. Man GAF really has attracted the shittiest of people after the fallout. What a shame, this place was cool 10 years ago.

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm not the one complaining my dude nor did I make the original statement. I asked you to give me a counter argument to what Red Crayon said and you just basically said that you have experience with women in the industry. What does feminism got to do with normal women in the industry? Are you aware they are two different things? Or are you an expert in feminism? If the answer is yes, please enlighten us. All you have done in two posts is insult 2 different people. If anyone is shitty it's your half-assed replies.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
What the fuck are you talking about? I'm not the one complaining my dude nor did I make the original statement. I asked you to give me a counter argument to what Red Crayon said and you just basically said that you have experience with women in the industry. What does feminism got to do with normal women in the industry? Are you aware they are two different things? Or are you an expert in feminism? If the answer is yes, please enlighten us. All you have done in two posts is insult 2 different people. If anyone is shitty it's your half-assed replies.

The only thing I could come across was this.

You can earn bonuses averaging around 30k per year (It can go up from the looks of it, all depends on companies profits for that year. There have been some HUGE ones dished out.) and up working at riot. If this is the median number they're talking about going back around 10 years would equate to roughly 300k individually these women have missed out if they stuck it out there.

Sure the payout averages 400K, but I'm sure after taxes + lawyer fees they'd end up with far, far less.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I, too, only follow the rules of acquisition

HarryKS

If they truly broke the law, make them bleed. Part of the compensation would be punitive. Which makes sense.

What does not make sense though is to rescind an out of court agreement. If it's already been agreed, they can't go back. No department whatsoever can intervene post-agreement unless they were still setting up the process.

Edit: my bad, hadn't read the entire article before posting. Only the blurb. The department's going against the plaintiffs' lawyer as well saying she didn't do her job well. They might have a case.

Last edited:

HarryKS

Not sure if you've read the case presented here, but beside the bro culture claims, there seems to be evidence that they were indeed being unfair. I'm all for due process and not particularly fond of feminist movements, but when people have been wronged, there's no debate. Individuate between cases at the risk of becoming the very thing you decry.

Top Bottom