• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

bock

Just study his pattern once you've got that down he is really really easy, actually getting to the boss was the hard part for me.
I just follow him whilst he is flying to avoid the fire ball spits and then hit him when he turns around at the edges of the screen.
You can do the same thing on the ground but its a trickier so I'd recommend just staying in the air to avoid his attacks on the ground.

My recommendation is to stay near the top of the screen and press DOWN to quickly drop down and attack him. Notice that Hawk-Man keeps its sword out when falling in this position, making it very convenient to attack.

GhaleonEB

I beat the game on normal today, clocking in around seven and a half hours. Got all but a couple pieces of gear. Edit:
I originally thought I had forgotten about the charm stone locations, but gigerbeardman points out below, they are new. Which explains why I'd forgotten about them! I found three on my own and googled one more - which I couldn't beat. (The Mouse-Man one.) I might chip away at it now and then later on. I'm pretty sure I never found them all when I was a kid so it was pretty neat to find new areas.

This remaster did two things. First, it reminded me why I loved the game to begin with. The music is all really catchy, every single track, and the gameplay is both simple and often surprisingly tricky. Patience and timing are critical to several platforming areas and to the bosses in particular. There are secrets galore (I was surprised how many hidden doors I remembered), and finding every one of them was a delight. And the game world is really well thought out. The areas are not huge, but there's no wasted space and every board has a purpose in terms of setting up new enemies or combinations.

It also made me simply adore the guys that remade this. My god the art is just incredible here. The character animation is just oozing with, well, character. I love details like the transitions when when you pivot from side to side, and how adorable each character looks in the shops. The
sketch book look for the hidden areas was a stroke of artistic genius.

Spoiler area: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAyyn1TUQAE_0cQ.jpg

I loved toggling from the old to new style and seeing how they captured the design elements of the original, and totally refreshed it with a new style and whimsy.

DAukS7hUAAA-l4l.jpg

DApnAluXoAAMgnW.jpg

Absolutely stunning, beautiful work in every single frame. They guys love this game and that love is in every possible detail.

I didn't care for a couple of the remade music tracks (the Sidewinders Dance is sorely missing the whistle from the original track), but that feels like a petty comment given the original music is a button press away. And what quibbles I had were fully offset by the gentle, spooky rendition of the theme in the haunted, sunken pirate ship. What a lovely swerve that was.

My big disappointment came when I started the game again on Hard setting and saw how they made it hard. I figured it was just enemies with more health and who dealt more damage. But there's a timer. Okay, I can handle that. But instead of a time limit to each zone or board, there's a perpetual hourglass counting down, dealing a bit of damage each time it flips - every 30 seconds or so. On my second attempt through the first area I got hit right away. And then the hourglass counted down a few times and I died from it, rather than an enemy.

That wasn't fair, and it certainly wasn't fun. I can see this playing out in a lot of the areas - I take damage early on, and then die from the timer late in the zone. That's a pretty awful way to make the game harder. I was really looking forward to a more challenging second pass through the game, but I won't be doing it.

Still - I'll romp through it again on Normal and chip away at the secrets since you can keep going. This was a love letter to one of my two favorite games from the 8-bit generation (Phantasy Star being the other). I really can't articulate how happy I am this exists.

Thanks for the write-up Ghaleon!

And yeah, still absolutely, hands-down, my favorite game of the year (^____^)

I'm with you tho and found Hard to be something that turned the game from charming into frustrating
I mean, I guess i'm glad it exists for trophy hunters and such, but I would absolutely never want to sour/taint the game for myself with that mode.... yuck

Looking forward to replaying it in a couple of months for a 100 percent run and it will most definitely be something i continue to replay the rest of my life ala Mega Man 2 <3

I beat the game on normal today, clocking in around seven and a half hours. Got all but a couple pieces of gear. I had forgotten *all* about the
hidden areas with the charm stones. I found three on my own and googled one more - which I couldn't beat. (The Mouse-Man one.) I might chip away at it now and then later on. I'm pretty sure I never found them all when I was a kid so it was pretty neat to find new areas.
I don't think you forgot.
those charm stone areas are new to this version. In the original the charm stones are dropped by random enemies.

GhaleonEB

I don't think you forgot.
those charm stone areas are new to this version. In the original the charm stones are dropped by random enemies.

Hah! That's hilarious. I remembered
picking up charm stones before, but I couldn't remember where.
20 years is a long time and figured I must have just forgotten. Feeling silly now.

So I told myself that I wouldn't purchase this game until I had cleared Shovel Knight, but the 8bitdo Snes30 update was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I just picked up the game and I've only sunk about a half hour in so far but it is an absolute joy to play with the SNES pad so if any of you Switch owners are on the fence absolutely jump in.

IrishNinja

I loved toggling from the old to new style and seeing how they captured the design elements of the original, and totally refreshed it with a new style and whimsy.

DAukS7hUAAA-l4l.jpg

DApnAluXoAAMgnW.jpg

Absolutely stunning, beautiful work in every single frame. They guys love this game and that love is in every possible detail.

Still - I'll romp through it again on Normal and chip away at the secrets since you can keep going. This was a love letter to one of my two favorite games from the 8-bit generation (Phantasy Star being the other). I really can't articulate how happy I am this exists.

this is pretty much how i'm feeling - so happy this got done, and this well too! this did for wonder boy fans what SOR fan remix did for beat-em-ups, the bar really feels raised here.

8-bit original version is my favorite game ever and I don't have the possibility to play the remake! If only the PSVita got a little love... I think this game is perfect for the PSVita, am I the only one!

Yes, yes, I know... it's perfect for the Switch...

Anyway: reading you and envying all those sensations SO much...

8-bit original version is my favorite game ever and I don't have the possibility to play the remake! If only the PSVita got a little love... I think this game is perfect for the PSVita, am I the only one!

Yes, yes, I know... it's perfect for the Switch...

Anyway: reading you and envying all those sensations SO much...
I would love to have a Vita version. Yesterday I bought the Switch version though, but Vita would be more my taste.

bock

What am i supposed to do when I changed to Mouse man for the second time.
Im totally lost :(

Did you get the Thunder Ring at the top of the canyon tower? in which case you can break the grey blocks.. there's one in the village...next to the well leading to the beach,

mauaus

Did you get the Thunder Ring at the top of the canyon tower? in which case you can break the grey blocks.. there's one in the village...next to the well leading to the beach,

Thank you! I was about to rage delete from my switch lol.
Any way to get a couple of potions?

bock

Any way to get a couple of potions?

There are 2 shops in the game that sells potions, a secret one you can only access with hawk-man, the other with mouse-left on the left of the jungle. There are also a few spots that tends to drop potions so playing generally give you some. The game is calibrated with that roulette-potion-drop to create a sense of unique opportunity when you get one. In reality once you get the hang of things you can clear any location without a potion :)

mauaus

im hawkman right now, retreived the legendary equipment and i have no clue what to do next
I swear this archaic gane structure really tests my patience so much guesswork

AmyS

Once upon a time, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap was my Zelda

First part of the article is about the secret codes.The second part of the article was a good read.

The Dragon's Trap was ours, to be honest. The Dragon's Trap was the first game to truly blow my mind, I think. It came at a pivotal moment: I was moving from one school to another, at the same instance in history that the UK games market was shifting from stuff like the Commodore 64 to other stuff like the Master System and the NES. More than that, though, The Dragon's Trap was just a strange, mysterious, boundless game. It played a trick that, in retrospect, seems extremely simple, but at the time it really did blow my mind. The Dragon's Trap looked and behaved like a platformer. You jumped on floating ledges, you avoided enemies in real time. But it had loot. It had a sort of in-game economy with shops and hospitals and treasure chests. More than anything, though, it was a platformer where the world didn't just scroll left to right. It was a platformer in which you could go anywhere.

This still feels like magic to me. In the platformers I had played up until now, falling off the screen was definitely a bad thing to do: falling off the screen killed you. In The Dragon's Trap, however, falling off the screen takes you to another screen that is presumably sat below the first screen. Falling into water drops you into the ocean. Flying into the sky may reveal hidden doorways in the clouds. Everywhere you can get to, there is game waiting for you.

I still get a tingle of excitement every time I arrive in the small town that stands, you will eventually come to realise, at the very centre of this complex world, deserts, jungles, underground palaces and beaches fanning out in every direction like the points on a compass. The Dragon's Trap makes me think of compasses - and of maps, of exploration and adventure. It makes me think of secrets: gateways that take you to places nobody else really knows about.

What I understand now, rather prosaically, is that The Dragon's Trap is a genre hybrid: it is an RPG structure delivered with platforming traversal and combat. Still, this does not quite dull the magic of it, thankfully. It does not blunt the effect that The Dragon's Trap had on other platformers at the time. Psycho Fox was pretty good, wasn't it? It was great. But when you fell off the screen in Psycho Fox, you didn't land somewhere else. It lacked The Dragon's Trap's integrity.

The Dragon's Trap is that special kind of game that ruins other games. And yet playing it afresh, with beautiful cartoon art delicately overlaying the original chunky pixels and flat colours, this does not feel like a game whose reputation rests solely on the sad fact that it renders other games less enjoyable. If you grew up in a certain time in the UK, before Nintendo had got its act together over here and while Sega still dominated, The Dragon's Trap was probably your Zelda: an adventure that took you further from home than you would have imagined possible, that offered a landscape that was sprawling and bright and worth scouring for secrets.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ime-wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-was-our-zelda

Makai

I think I just sequence broke. Took forever to beat the Japanese area as Dragon - like 200 hits on the boss and it took many attempts to even get to him. Game gave me Eagle and Lion at once. Horrible lol

Ok I just beat it. Vampire dragon went down in like 5 hits lol. I guess I missed the entire water area

bock

I think I just sequence broke. Took forever to beat the Japanese area as Dragon - like 200 hits on the boss and it took many attempts to even get to him. Game gave me Eagle and Lion at once. Horrible lol

Curious if you did that sequence break intentionally or unknowingly?

It's interesting that hitting Dragon Daimyo with Lizard-Man is actually easier than other characters, but of course it'll take a million hits at that point in the game.

Makai

Curious if you did that sequence break intentionally or unknowingly?

It's interesting that hitting Dragon Daimyo with Lizard-Man is actually easier than other characters, but of course it'll take a million hits at that point in the game.
I thought that's where I was supposed to go.

Shifty

Saw this thread and decided to impulse-buy the game to play while my Tekken buddies move house over the weekend.

I'm really impressed so far- decided to play as Wonder Girl because I like her expression more, and the art is lovely. They've done a really nice job of it.
I didn't think I'd be all too bothered about the ability to switch between modern and retro modes in real-time, but it's super cool to see how the game has changed. And it even has widescreen support for the classic visuals.

It's a technical marvel under the hood too- it appears to be emulating a Master System ROM of the original game and inspecting its memory in order to drive the modernized renderer that handles the final visuals and audio.
That's taking faithful remaking to the next level and no mistake.

petran79

Banned
Got the GOG version, having previously played Monsterland in arcades,Amiga and currently MAME.

Will devote more time to it.

Btw,was hard mode present in the original game too?

It tries to imitate the time limit of the arcade version but in a more unfair way. Because there you had 5 hearts, got an hourglass refill once and started at the beginning of each stage.

Here you have just 1 heart and no hourglass.Got second heart container,tried playing till the pyramid and got only one Cure checkpoint. Then lost and had to start from the beginning of the village. Hard makes the whole game tedious instead of arcade like,at least till I reach a certain heart number. Enemies dont drop hearts that often.

I'll better play on normal.

Btw,was hard mode present in the original game too?

It tries to imitate the time limit of the arcade version but in a more unfair way. Because there you had 5 hearts, got an hourglass refill once and started at the beginning of each stage.

Here you have just 1 heart and no hourglass.Got second heart container,tried playing till the pyramid and got only one Cure checkpoint. Then lost and had to start from the beginning of the village. Hard makes the whole game tedious instead of arcade like,at least till I reach a certain heart number. Enemies dont drop hearts that often.

I'll better play on normal.
it wasn't in the WB:TDT original, but the hourglass was in one of the other WB games.

bock

Btw,was hard mode present in the original game too?.

The Hard is still being tweaked, I have to agree on console release date it had issues. The patch yesterday made things a little better namely toward the end game.

Note that anytime you grab life (a smart heart) the timer is reset, this is how you get away with it.

Psxphile

Where are you suppose to go after getting the thunder ring?

Thunder Ring opens up several paths to take now that you can smash blocks. There's the obvious one next to the tower in the Village that takes you to the underground (accessible by Mouse-man and Lion-man). But this trips most people up, since you're not supposed to go down there yet (you can, but you might not get very far). Instead, smash the block inside one of the village huts to reveal a hidden transformation room and turn back into Pirahna-man, then head to the beach area and explore the underwater areas.

Codeblue

I beat the game on normal today, clocking in around seven and a half hours. Got all but a couple pieces of gear. Edit:
I originally thought I had forgotten about the charm stone locations, but gigerbeardman points out below, they are new. Which explains why I'd forgotten about them! I found three on my own and googled one more - which I couldn't beat. (The Mouse-Man one.) I might chip away at it now and then later on. I'm pretty sure I never found them all when I was a kid so it was pretty neat to find new areas.

This remaster did two things. First, it reminded me why I loved the game to begin with. The music is all really catchy, every single track, and the gameplay is both simple and often surprisingly tricky. Patience and timing are critical to several platforming areas and to the bosses in particular. There are secrets galore (I was surprised how many hidden doors I remembered), and finding every one of them was a delight. And the game world is really well thought out. The areas are not huge, but there's no wasted space and every board has a purpose in terms of setting up new enemies or combinations.

It also made me simply adore the guys that remade this. My god the art is just incredible here. The character animation is just oozing with, well, character. I love details like the transitions when when you pivot from side to side, and how adorable each character looks in the shops. The
sketch book look for the hidden areas was a stroke of artistic genius.

Spoiler area: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAyyn1TUQAE_0cQ.jpg

DAukS7hUAAA-l4l.jpg

DApnAluXoAAMgnW.jpg

I didn't care for a couple of the remade music tracks (the Sidewinders Dance is sorely missing the whistle from the original track), but that feels like a petty comment given the original music is a button press away. And what quibbles I had were fully offset by the gentle, spooky rendition of the theme in the haunted, sunken pirate ship. What a lovely swerve that was.

My big disappointment came when I started the game again on Hard setting and saw how they made it hard. I figured it was just enemies with more health and who dealt more damage. But there's a timer. Okay, I can handle that. But instead of a time limit to each zone or board, there's a perpetual hourglass counting down, dealing a bit of damage each time it flips - every 30 seconds or so. On my second attempt through the first area I got hit right away. And then the hourglass counted down a few times and I died from it, rather than an enemy.

That wasn't fair, and it certainly wasn't fun. I can see this playing out in a lot of the areas - I take damage early on, and then die from the timer late in the zone. That's a pretty awful way to make the game harder. I was really looking forward to a more challenging second pass through the game, but I won't be doing it.

I just beat the game, having never played it before. You summed up everything I wanted to say so much better than I could have.

I love old games. I play more games from 20+ years ago than I do new stuff. One thing I've always held to is that I want to play the original vision and largely ignored remakes, not because I thought they were bad or unnecessary, but because I wanted to experience the original work. This game proves that my line of thinking was a false dichotomy. Perfectly executed, and I hope more games get this treatment.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
First time player!

Where does one go after the Desert?
Is it really the Valcano area? It's waaaaaaaaay harder, kind of getting my ass beat

Top Bottom