• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

Tizoc

Water? No, that comes later.

Now that he can scale mouse blocks the path to the left of The Village is where he should go next.

Well I made it all the way to the left and found a path that just takes me back underwater.
Where am I supposed to go now?

Not liking the controls on this, would've been nice to have an option for more tighter controls, but other than that I am rather enjoying the game.

Psxphile

Well I made it all the way to the left and found a path that just takes me back underwater.
Where am I supposed to go now?

Not liking the controls on this, would've been nice to have an option for more tighter controls, but other than that I am rather enjoying the game.

That path can also take you up. Did one of the monsters at the dead-end drop a key? You're gonna need it.

Tizoc

EDIT: NVM, OK I got the Thunder Ring so now I should continue as Fish Man to the water area at the town.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
In case you guys don't follow the LRG thread.

Dat Wonder Boy LE.
DDmc3sRXYAELLUk.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/880908208860266496

How many times the MEGA POWER though?
It has a reversible cover. Sadly PS4 only because Nintendo won't take LRG on as a publisher for now.

Tizoc

So what's up with the slippery movement? Like I move for a few seconds, let go of adirection but the character will slid just a few pixels forward still.
This is pretty irritating, doesn't help when my attacks are worse than Dan's SF Alpha 2 projectiles/

So what's up with the slippery movement? Like I move for a few seconds, let go of adirection but the character will slid just a few pixels forward still.
This is pretty irritating, doesn't help when my attacks are worse than Dan's SF Alpha 2 projectiles/

They kept the physics/movement of the original (as they should have). It's literally the master-system game with a new visual coat of paint on top of it.
Believe me, you'll get used to it and it actually becomes something very satisfying once you master it :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sooo... I haven't touched this in a while, forgot what I was supposed to do and now I can't figure out where I should go to move the adventure forward, seems to me that I've tried everything (but obviously I haven't).. what can I do? lol I know I know I'm a dork...

Psxphile

Sooo... I haven't touched this in a while, forgot what I was supposed to do and now I can't figure out where I should go to move the adventure forward, seems to me that I've tried everything (but obviously I haven't).. what can I do? lol I know I know I'm a dork...

1) What form are you?
2) Do you have the Thunder Ring in your inventory?

Psxphile

Mouse and yes.

Okay, so you've gotten the Thunder Ring. That's where the game kinda opens up in terms of where you can go (and where a lot of people get stuck) so it makes sense you're not sure where you should go next to proceed.

With the Thunder Ring you can break certain blocks by hitting them with your sword. In the Village one of the houses hides a transformation room, break the floating block to reveal it's door. Use the room to switch to your most recently-acquired form... which will most likely be Pirahna-Man since you had to have had that to even get to the Ring. You can now explore the Beach area's underwater areas for Pirahna-Man specific equipment and the entrance to an exclusive area only Pirahna-Man can go to which will ultimately take you to the next Dragon.

Dash Kappei

Thanks! Just acquired Leo form.
Maybe I've missed it but I don't remember the game explaining the TRing lets you smash some tiles? I mean, maybe it hinted it or something...
So I guess Leo's feat is the ability to smash "floor" tiles since his main attack goes till the ground and beyond, anything else I should've noticed? I've already forgotten what the Lizard form does, lol...

Psxphile

Thanks! Just acquired Leo form.
Maybe I've missed it but I don't remember the game explaining the TRing lets you smash some tiles? I mean, maybe it hinted it or something...
So I guess Leo's feat is the ability to smash "floor" tiles since his main attack goes till the ground and beyond, anything else I should've noticed? I've already forgotten what the Lizard form does, lol...

Like most games of that era the purpose of the Ring (or sword in the original version) would have been explained in the instruction booklet, or by showing rather than telling: when you first got the ring in that tower you had no choice but to use it to break the tiles in front of you that were blocking your escape. And again in the next room to access the exit that would take you back to the Village. That's how you would know what it does, though here it seems some people can't put two and two together because the ring's effect is always on after you get it, when in the original game you had to manually equip the Thunder Saber every time you wanted to break blocks.

Yes, Lion-Man's main claim to fame is his full-range attack and being able to hit hard and tank hits, moreso when you find his special equips. I think the shield was in the Beach House all the way on the far-side of the beach?

Tizoc

OK what's the fastest way to get Coins? I want to get the final piece of equipment.
Also Hawk-man is shit and takes way more damage than the others I feel.

I found the final dungeon but getting past those projectile spewing heads is driving me nuts.
Gonna go stack up on Blue Potions too.

EDIT: BTW is the PCE Dragon's Curse fan remake available anywhere?

Parsnip

OK what's the fastest way to get Coins? I want to get the final piece of equipment.
Also Hawk-man is shit and takes way more damage than the others I feel.

I found the final dungeon but getting past those projectile spewing heads is driving me nuts.
Gonna go stack up on Blue Potions too.
You need more than just coins for the very final piece of equipment and can't get it until you are back in human form.
Hawkman is a bit weak, but always make sure you are using the best equipment for each form.

For coins, as Hawkman you can do quick runs from the village to the old castle boss room (where you fought meka dragon) and open the chest there. The chest will have coins in it if you already got the other thing that was in there. After getting the coins, just quit to title screen, load your save and you should be back in the village and can do the same coin run again. The chest contents respawn after quit/load, I found that to the be the fastest way to get the expensive as shit crystal gear for example.
There's also a house with some coins on the way there if you feel like stopping there.

Tizoc

You need more than just coins for the very final piece of equipment and can't get it until you are back in human form.
Hawkman is a bit weak, but always make sure you are using the best equipment for each form.

For coins, as Hawkman you can do quick runs from the village to the old castle boss room (where you fought meka dragon) and open the chest there. The chest will have coins in it if you already got the other thing that was in there. After getting the coins, just quit to title screen, load your save and you should be back in the village and can do the same coin run again. The chest contents respawn after quit/load, I found that to the be the fastest way to get the expensive as shit crystal gear for example.
There's also a house with some coins on the way there if you feel like stopping there.

Thanks, will try that.

Tizoc

...That's it? THAT'S IT? THAT WAS THE FINAL BOSS?
Dude was a cake walk using Lion-man geez.

Well overall I enjoyed it, but I still would've liked if there was an option for more 'modernized' control.

As said, this is a design decission from the original game. Just continue playing, and soon you'll discover that the controls are much better than you feel now.

Dash Kappei

Beat the game.
Man, the 2nd half was a cakewalk. Still I very much enjoyed it, bring on Dragon's Trap with the same treatment
...That's it? THAT'S IT? THAT WAS THE FINAL BOSS?
Dude was a cake walk using Lion-man geez.

Well overall I enjoyed it, but I still would've liked if there was an option for more 'modernized' control.

Seriously what a shit ending.

I can't seem to find it anywhere, though I wonder if it is in the same vein as say Sonic fangames, etc.

I found a couple of YouTube videos of the fan game (I think) that had download links, but I never tried the game itself was just interesting watching the videos.

Red or Alive

Neo Member
Got this on Switch on Thursday. I've been familiar with this game's reputation since the early '90s - without ever having had the chance to play it outside of a brief flirtation with Master System emulation - so I was delighted the remake managed the trick of feeling fresh while being nearly 100% faithful to the original.

The last time I enjoyed a platformer this much was the 2008 Bionic Commando remake. Are there any other games from this period where the core gameplay is so strong that it could be remade today with the same conceit (i.e. a completely optional fresh lick of paint)?

Red or Alive

Neo Member
I will say, though, while the first two hours had me grinning ear-to-ear, and I felt I was making steady progress, the game stalled a little for me near the end game.

I do wish Lizardcube had added a map - even a zoomable JPEG that unlocked as you made your way though the various areas - as I ended up having to look up a fan made map for the Master System original to realise what steps I had to take to reach the final dungeon. I appreciate they had to work within the limitations of the original (and a map might rob an already short game of the gameplay that comes from player exploration) but the addition of the 'Help' screen in the start menu shows the developer was willing to make some concessions to new players.

(Making the
change room
hidden struck me as remarkably un-intuitive - though I did find in the course of playing the game, it strikes me as a bit of a failure of West One's part not to better lead the player to it. Not Lizardcube's fault, of course, and I may be blaming both developers for my own stupidity.)

Red or Alive

Neo Member
Are there any games inspired by, or in the mold of, Wonder Boy III that I should play? I think I bought the Monster World IV port on XBLA but don't know if it's a worthy follow up.

The Shantae games are directly inspired by Wonder Boy III aren't they? Which game in that series is the most essential for someone coming off The Dragon's Trap remake?

Went back and played wonderboy 3 on master system and yeah, game is WAY WAY harder on SMS. The remake is great don't get me wrong but the standard normal mode is absolute cake in comparison to the original. Hard mode just ads a tacky timer.

Lelex

Neo Member
Some Brazilian fans just finished a mod that turns the game into a MÔNICA remaster. I wish I could get it, since I played the original in the brazilian version, but I'm on console.

They translated, replaced the characters and a lot of artwork. Looks super nice.

https://youtu.be/XOIoKEjuPIU

Psxphile

Some Brazilian fans just finished a mod that turns the game into a MÔNICA remaster. I wish I could get it, since I played the original in the brazilian version, but I'm on console.

They translated, replaced the characters and a lot of artwork. Looks super nice.

https://youtu.be/XOIoKEjuPIU

fucking amazing, they did a pretty good job keeping it consistent with the new graphic engine

bock

Soundtrack-Disc1.jpg
Soundtrack-Disc2.jpg

TRACK LISTING

01 - Title
02 - Intro
03 - The Last Dungeon
04 - Vs. Dragon Meka
05 - And now...
06 - Monster-Town
07 - It's a Treasure Box
08 - Shop
09 - Hospital
10 - Mind of Hero - Beach
11 - Desert Zone
12 - The Monster's Lair - Pyramid
13 - Vs. Dragon Mummy
14 - Adventure Zone
15 - The Monster's Lair - Tower
16 - Monsterland
17 - Vs. Dragon Zombie
18 - The Monster's Lair - Sunken Ship
19 - Vs. Dragon Captain
20 - Daimyo Garden
21 - The Monster's Lair - Daimyo Temple
22 - Vs. Dragon Daimyo
23 - The Last Dungeon - Encore
24 - The Monster's Lair - Palace Part 1
25 - The Monster's Lair - Palace Part 2
26 - Vs. Dragon Vampire
27 - Endless War
28 - The Dragon's Trap - Staff Roll
29 - Get Item
30 - The Unknown
31 - Game Over
32 - Gallery
33 - Reveal Trailer
34 - Bonus - Adventure Zone (16-bit FM) [2015-08]
35 - Bonus - Adventure Zone (Underground) [2017-01]
36 - Bonus - And Now... (Electro) [2015-11]
37 - Bonus - And Now... (Piano) [2014-11]
38 - Bonus - Desert Zone (Arrasta P‚) [2015-12]
39 - Bonus - Desert Zone (Baritone) [2015-12]
40 - Bonus - Desert Zone (Fanfare) [2015-08]
41 - Bonus - Desert Zone (Hard) [2014-11]
42 - Bonus - Desert Zone (Hell) [2015-08]
43 - Bonus - Desert Zone (Jazz) [2015-09]
44 - Bonus - Endless War (Nanana) [2016-06]
45 - Bonus - Endless War (Piano) [2014-11]
46 - Bonus - Endless War (Rhodes, Accordion) [2015-11]
47 - Bonus - Game Over (Piano) [2014-11]
48 - Bonus - It's a Treasure Box (Piano) [2014-11]
49 - Bonus - Mind of Hero - Beach (1st of April) [2017-04]
50 - Bonus - Mind of Hero - Beach (Baiao) [2015-01]
51 - Bonus - Mind of Hero - Beach (Forro) [2015-11]
52 - Bonus - Mind of Hero - Beach (Lounge) [2015-11]
53 - Bonus - Mind of Hero - Beach (Salsa) [2016-04]
54 - Bonus - Mind of Hero - Beach (Samba) [2015-12]
55 - Bonus - Mind of Hero - Beach (Ukulele) (by Romain Gauthier) [2016-12]
56 - Bonus - Monster-Town (Accordion) [2014-11]
57 - Bonus - Monster-Town (Afternoon TV show) [2015-11]
58 - Bonus - Monster-Town (Celtic) [2016-04]
59 - Bonus - Monster-Town (Jazz) [2015-11]
60 - Bonus - Monster-Town (Marching band) [2015-09]
61 - Bonus - Monster-Town (Musette) [2016-02]
62 - Bonus - Monster-Town (N'goni Kora Base) [2015-10]
63 - Bonus - Monster-Town (N'goni Kora Moog) [2015-12]
64 - Bonus - Monster-Town (Piano) [2014-11]
65 - Bonus - Monster-Town (Recorder) (by Romain Gauthier) [2015-01]
66 - Bonus - Monster-Town (Toy) [2015-12]
67 - Bonus - Monster-Town (Violin) [2015-11]
68 - Bonus - Monsterland (Piano) [2016-04]
69 - Bonus - Shop (909) [2016-04]
70 - Bonus - Shop (Electro) [2015-12]
71 - Bonus - Shop (Elevator) [2016-02]
72 - Bonus - Shop (Funky) [2015-10]
73 - Bonus - Shop (Mystical password) [2016-12]
74 - Bonus - Shop (Pork Shop Suey) [2015-12]
75 - Bonus - Shop (Raduga) [2015-12]
76 - Bonus - Shop (Tinkerer) [2015-02]
77 - Bonus - The Last Dungeon (Hard Electro) [2015-08]
78 - Bonus - The Last Dungeon (Outsider) [2016-08]
79 - Bonus - The Monster's Lair (Fugue) [2015-12]
80 - Bonus - The Monster's Lair (Japan 1) [2015-03]
81 - Bonus - The Monster's Lair (Japan 2 Don Don) [2015-03]
82 - Bonus - The Monster's Lair (Piano) [2014-11]
83 - Bonus - The Monster's Lair (Pyramid Alt) [2015-03]
84 - Bonus - The Monster's Lair (Pyramid Yalili) [2016-08]
85 - Bonus - The Monster's Lair (Synth Pop) [2015-12]
86 - Bonus - Title (Alt) [2016-11]
87 - Bonus - Vs. Dragon (Latin Jazz) [2016-04]
88 - Bonus - Vs. Dragon (Prog Rock) (by Kenneth C M Young) [2016-04]
89 - Bonus - Vs. Dragon (Square) [2014-11]

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
WTF

You can jump and attack at the same time to change forms? Does the game explain this?! Should I have already known this, does everyone else know this?

robot

WTF

You can jump and attack at the same time to change forms? Does the game explain this?! Should I have already known this, does everyone else know this?

It's only with a particular weapon. I don't remember the original telling you about it. Actually I don't remember the original telling you anything about anything lol.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It's only with a particular weapon. I don't remember the original telling you about it. Actually I don't remember the original telling you anything about anything lol.

Oh it's only when I'm holding a certain weapon? Dang. I did it on accident. That's crazy.

Parsnip

I have to imagine that the info about the Tasmanian Sword special was in the manual, right? But I never owned the game back in the day so I actually don't know.

Psxphile

I have to imagine that the info about the Tasmanian Sword special was in the manual, right? But I never owned the game back in the day so I actually don't know.

Hm. Maybe? But I doubt it. It seems like a debug feature that was left in the game, it happens from time to time. In the original game you needed a second controller plugged in to activate its special.

bock

It wasn't in the original manual, and it was indeed awkward to pull off than in this version because it required the second controller.
The combo now is Jump + UP + Attack while wearing the Tasmanian Sword
. However whereas the original allowed you to transform to any form _before_ you unlocked them, in the new version you can only transform to shape you have unlocked.

bock

I don't even know where I picked up that Sword... Or for how long I've had it lol.

It's sold in a secret shop at the end of a dead-end corridor in the Lion-Man Underground section. Normally the moment you get it you probably already have the Muramasa which is a better weapon and few people equip the Tasmanian with Lion-Man. But when reaching Hawk-Man people tend to equip the Tasmanian sword again and this is generally when they trigger by accident.

But it's possible to went to that secret shop with Mouse-Man after getting the Thunder Ring and gotten it earlier.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finished the game yesterday.

Really enjoyed it, but I know I didn't find all the secrets... they didn't seem necessary. I had the Legendary Sword, Shield, and Armor by the end, even though I had a few slots missing. Reading this thread, I have no idea what y'all are talking about with three items you had to find?

I really enjoyed this game, but if I got back in time, I would've waited for a sale. This is literally a re-skin of a SMS game, and while that's super neat - I think $20 is too steep for me, or someone with no nostalgia for this game. I loved the music and art, and that makes me feel good about supporting the developer for that reason alone - but this is an example where just having an in-game Challenges/Achievements with some unlockables would have given me a reason to go through the game again... as it is, I have enough on my Switch to play!

Top Bottom