• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wordpress Blog Created Today rumor: Activision pissed with BLOPS 2 Wii U sales

Bigjelly

Banned
Maybe had activision bothered to let the public know this was the supposed best version and didn't just throw it out with no advertising or any form of nod at the Wii U version it would have sold better.

This. Offering a preorder for nuke town and than pulling it with a week prior to launch and to this day still not publicly address the situation sucks. The other issue is that it released later (yes a week but) millions of people were not going to cancel preorders and buy a 350.00 system with lots of question marks prior to launch for COD.

Activision and Nintendo decided that they would not promote it at all. And they expected what a million copies sold??? I agree that it deserves better sales but that hasn't happened and now with no expansion pack and the lack of support they are going forward with the game will drive sales down lower.

Using this as a base.

This gets me ~10k sold/week so far. Or it wouldn't be 100k+ now, if we say BLOPS2 have sold 100k worldwide period, its numbers are a few thousands lower per week.
For one thing, we don't actually know it's sold over 100K globally, that's an assumption. We only know that it's sold less than 100K in the US at the end of January. How much less no one here who's privy to such information has revealed.

Secondly, I don't know why you'd think the numbers would continue at a plateau from launch at a steady 10K a week.

Mithos

For one thing, we don't actually know it's sold over 100K globally, that's an assumption. We only know that it's sold less than 100K in the US at the end of January. How much less no one here who's privy to such information has revealed.

Secondly, I don't know why you'd think the numbers would continue at a plateau from launch at a steady 10K a week.

Yes its an assumption I make, to be able to make any type of calculation or estimates you need to have numbers, I chose these only type of numbers we have.
The plateau thing, well it was that way for every CoD game for Wii, release up till next CoD about same sales for every game, I don't expect it to change much

wsippel

Banned
There are a bunch of free or cheap pieces of middleware (including Havok?) you have acess to through Sony and Microsoft.

But even if Nintendo were up to speed in this area (and I don't think they are), they definitely lag in helping developers use these tools and get the most out of them.
Somewhat related: The only session Nintendo hosts at this years GDC is about developing web applications for the Wii U GamePad. Another opportunity wasted. A Unity session would have made too much sense I guess...

EDarkness

Somewhat related: The only session Nintendo hosts at this years GDC is about developing web applications for the Wii U GamePad. Another opportunity wasted. A Unity session would have made too much sense I guess...

Maybe the just don't have a good connection with developers. Have they ever had a big presence at these kinds of shows?

If Activision was serious about cultivating a base for Call of Duty they should have put this out:

call_of_duty_modern_warfare_reflex.jpg

in 2007 instead of 2009, when it was overshadowed by the release of Modern Warfare 2 (which also never got a Wii version)

Incidentally, it would have been an easy sell thanks to this just being released:

wii_zapper_500px.jpg

However they should be commended for at least getting out a Wii/Wii U SKU for all their major franchise games. EA canceling a Wii U version of a game? Gasp.

(also - I bought BLOPS 2 on Wii U. You're welcome!)

Also, I'm fairly certain CoD 3 sold better on Wii than PS3, at least at launch.

I said early on that software sales were far below expectations... Publishers are currently evaluating profitability on the platform now. Its not looking too good. Its just the grim reality a lot of people on this board don't want to accept. I love the Wii u personally and understand its potential better than most... But facts are facts and the console has no momentum now and poor attach rates and lagging digital adoption on core console titles.

The general feeling is wait to see how first party software does, see if Nintendo can curate demand and software sales or... Well, little to no support. Here's hoping!

I can believe this, sadly.

Playing through ACIII, I sent a convoy from my homestead and a message pops up saying I am in the Top 50 Worldwide for number of convoys sent. I only sent one.

Yesterday, I sent an ally to help assassinate some redcoats. I'm apparently in the top 5 WW for doing so. I really hope that's a bug of some kind...

wsippel

Banned
Maybe the just don't have a good connection with developers. Have they ever had a big presence at these kinds of shows?
They had one of the keynote speeches several times and usually at least three or four sessions if I remember correctly. Unless they announce another session or five in the coming weeks, their presence this year is just embarrassing. Developer interest is low as is, they really can't afford to waste those opportunities.

I mean, how hard could this be? They offer Unity for free. It seems almost every single game on Kickstarter uses Unity, as do many smartphone and tablet games. Nintendo allows self publishing on eShop, the terms are good and the barrier of entry is pretty low - devs don't really have anything to lose. But Nintendo does fuck all to communicate it. GDC would be an opportunity to spread the word, get devs interested or even excited. And they apparently do absolutely nothing. It's unbelievable.

Even if the big publishers aren't interested, Wii U could be the better Ouya: Same tools, more possibilities, more power. They just need to spread the word.

They had one of the keynote speeches several times and usually at least three or four sessions if I remember correctly. Unless they announce another session or five in the coming weeks, their presence this year is just embarrassing. Developer interest is low as is, they really can't afford to waste those opportunities.

I mean, how hard could this be? They offer Unity for free. It seems almost every single game on Kickstarter uses Unity, as do many smartphone and tablet games. Nintendo allows self publishing on eShop, the terms are good and the barrier of entry is pretty low - devs don't really have anything to lose. But Nintendo does fuck all to communicate it. GDC would be an opportunity to spread the word, get devs interested or even excited. And they apparently do absolutely nothing. It's unbelievable.

I feel like stuff comes about because of the Pacific Ocean-sized disconnect between NCL and NOA. NOA doesn't seem to have passionate game guys (and why would they as they are the North American marketing division) and NCL is pure Japanese - developer outreach is probably not a concept they understand.

They really need do a management shake-up. I like Iwata but he may be too rooted in Yamauchi-style to oversee a global company.

wsippel

Banned
I feel like stuff comes about because of the Pacific Ocean-sized disconnect between NCL and NOA. NOA doesn't seem to have passionate game guys (and why would they as they are the North American marketing division) and NCL is pure Japanese - developer outreach is probably not a concept they understand.

They really need do a management shake-up. I like Iwata but he may be too rooted in Yamauchi-style to oversee a global company.
They do have passionate and highly capable guys at NTD, SDSG and NST. And Dan Adelman does a pretty good job as well. NCL needs to give those guys a lot more freedom, though.

big youth

this is an extreme example, and it's unconfirmed and such

but is anyone else soured by how entitled and whiny developers have been recently? I don't recall this many devs complaining about sales in public forums a few years ago, but in 2012 it seemed to happen once or twice a month.

Oddduck

this is an extreme example, and it's unconfirmed and such

but is anyone else soured by how entitled and whiny developers have been recently? I don't recall this many devs complaining about sales in public forums a few years ago, but in 2012 it seemed to happen once or twice a month.

Blame it on the rising costs of game development + Studios shutting down every time a game tanks + layoffs when games under perform + Trying to please cranky investors/shareholders.

As publishers/developers feel more pressure (when it comes to sales) expect them to come out more public with their harsh feelings.

Cosmozone

Blaming "Nintendo fans" for this and that is just pure arrogance. It reduces the company, the hardware and especially Nintendo console owners to some outsiders nobody wants to talk with. They might even talk their own language. The guy is advised to read the "Which console didn't you buy" thread for a glimpse of the other side of things. Search for the word "gimmick". Segregated market demographics exists and its a difficult hurdle to overcome them. But no need to get arrogant about it. For consumers its more excusable since they've been formed that way. Nintendo is not free from blame but he explicitely blamed Wii U owners for low sales. COD is a mainstream product. Activision has the opportunity to make the Wii U more appealing for mainstream games. And "bu bu bu Nintendo fans" certainly doesn't help with that. But it's not an official statement, so some misguided thought might just have slipped.

Castef

Banned
Nintendo is in the riskiest position, all they have is videogames. Sony has dozens of other products and MS coasts along to billions in profit each quarter, despite their two Xbox consoles hemorrhaging money, on Windows and Office alone.

It is some time now Xbox console are not "hemorrhaging money", you know?

tassletine

It wasn't available on the eshop for (at least) a couple of weeks after launch. I have no idea if it is now even. That's hardly supporting your own product.

Sadist

This blog is obviously rubbish, but I do believe third parties are slowly packing their bags regarding Wii U support. Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Interactive will be the ones sticking with Nintendo, but eh. I still think third parties damaged themselves beyond repair during the Wii-era. I know it's bullocks to use anecdotal evidence, but I've seen so many consumers avoiding the third parties releases on Wii because "the non-Nintendo games aren't fun."

The consumers are not that stupid. Trust me on this one publishers.

Coolwhip

Banned
With the Wii a lot of publishers failed to take advantage of 100 million consoles. Ubisoft did, with their Singing games and other in my eyes shitty games. But others didn't. Why do some publishers think they can release the same games on different platforms and hope for the best? Too bad Rayman got delayed, because that would be a good fit for a Nintendo console. So instead of just saying "Welp, our games don't sell on a Nintendo console, abandon ship!" publishers should have catered to the audience. With Wii U this is currently not really worth the time and effort though, since the install base is still low.

Meesh

I bough CoD for Wiiu, also either bought physical of downloaded copies of most other 3rd party games...a supporter can only buy so many though. *cries*

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Since somehow this thread turned out to be somewhat worthwhile, a few thoughts on Wii U and 3rd parties:

1-Ubisoft still seems somewhat on board with recent Watch Dogs and AC4 announcements, and I suspect WB might still be there. Harker said it earlier in the thread and I suspect he was talking about Ubisoft- they are probably waiting to see how Nintendo can salvage things with 1st party titles this year, and after that all bets are off.

2-It is still early, but to me the big miscalculation Nintendo made was investing so much in the GamePad when frankly I've seen little evidence it is going to be successful as a Wiimote type system seller. I completely agree with Opiate that Nintendo cannot just follow Sony and Microsoft..but I do feel that quite possible a true Wii 2 might have been the better way to go- upgraded Wiimote+CC Pro in every box, and a system with specs possibly more in between generations making PS4-720 ports easier than what we will probably see.

3- Sort of off topic, but for all the (justified) observing of how terrible Western support is, right now Japanese support is actually worse. I don't know if its a lack of resources to port PS360 games or what, but Japanese support is basically nothing right now. IF Iwata/Nintendo is unable to get even decent Japanese support the system is in much bigger trouble than it looks even now.

xsp

Neo Member
I didn't buy my Wii U to play Call of Duty. I picked it up 5 days prior for the 360. I bought the Wii U for a new experience in gaming. I bought it in anticipation of the interesting things that developers will do with the system. I play COD when mind numbing murderous medicroity sounds fun. I can get that on the PS360. The Wii U is something different. I want a different experience on it.

wildfire

Banned
so people bought a new game instead of their old port?

That excuse doesn't fly when Black Ops 2 was released a 1-4 weeks before the WiiU launched depending on territory and people had plenty of time to learn about the feature set.

Even when MS had 6 months exclusive launch time a PS3 version wouldn't do so badly I rumor like this would be spreading.

I just wanted to pop in and say I'm actually really enjoying the discussions in this thread. I'm shocked at how well this turned out. GAF can really impress me sometimes.

I also wanted to mention that this story is on the front page of n4g. Their conversations... aren't so good.

Well what do they expect, the people that bought Wii U are Nintendo fans, and they probably aren't the biggest FPS gamers. I bought the game and I enjoy it, but I really wanted something to play online with my friend. I won't be buying future COD games, one is enough for me.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I bough CoD for Wiiu, also either bought physical of downloaded copies of most other 3rd party games...a supporter can only buy so many though. *cries*
I bought neither CoD nor NSMBU. I did buy all eShop indie stuff, and my current shopping list includes NFS, LCU, TokiTori2 and Runner2, among other things. Rayman was a title I anticipated much.

I doubt I'm a good representative of the market, but I guess I'm not alone when I say this: I don't generally value 'core' titles unless they are of genres I fancy or there's something particular about the title that impresses me. CoD, AC3, ME3, BAC, NSMBU all fall in the category of titles where the 'core' factor means absolutely nothing to me. I might pick any of those on a whim but those are not titles I anticipate and would actively pursue during their launch windows.

I'm saying all this to illustrate that the 'core games == core gamers' model most publishers are trying to impose on the market is not exactly universal. 'Core gamers' don't automatically go out and buy any 'core' game publishers bring to a given platform. Each franchise, or more broadly genre, needs to cultivate its user base, and then things like franchise fatigue and genre over-saturation need to be taken into consideration. For the record, I'm a satisfied WiiU owner with 400+ play hours since the console's European launch.

Dicer

Banned
I enjoy it on a semi-daily basis on the Wii-u can always find a game online. Where's that Nuketown Activision?

It's a launch console, that got it a short time after the lead platforms. COD might as well be a 360 exclusive, I'm sure all other platforms sell much less.

Krakatoa

If they had put the dam game month restore in would have purchased it.

I also read a lot of requests on miiverse for it to be available on the store. I wonder why they don't if they are pissed a sales?

Hero

Microsoft and Sony are fairly prolific with the number of events they present at, as well as putting on their own specific developer events in different territories. The content of these includes engineering best practise, deep dives into the architecture and component chipsets, optimization/performance topics, outlining and streamlining submission processes, first party dev team post mortems and techniques/process talks, and even general talks on content creation, production, usability, QA etc.

My casual observation is that Nintendo rarely match that level of engagement that Microsoft and Sony have. I just went through planning my GDC schedule yesterday and noted multiple helpful talks from Microsoft and Sony, but didn't spot anything from Nintendo.

Well, free/cheap Unity licenses is a start, but again Sony and Microsoft also offer a range of discounted or free middleware options.

An engine is also one thing, but providing tools to support content creation, optimization, debugging, and production are all not only useful for game development but crucial in order to reach higher quality standards. To my knowledge, Nintendo lags in this area in terms of the range, maturity and robustness of tools.

What you say is interesting. It seems like for the most part Nintendo doesn't seem to engage third parties except for the rare occasion for something like the original uDraw on the Wii. I wonder if it has to do with general apathy or the fact that Nintendo isn't as tech-heavy as the other two companies. They are also significantly smaller than the other two.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Since somehow this thread turned out to be somewhat worthwhile, a few thoughts on Wii U and 3rd parties:

1-Ubisoft still seems somewhat on board with recent Watch Dogs and AC4 announcements, and I suspect WB might still be there. Harker said it earlier in the thread and I suspect he was talking about Ubisoft- they are probably waiting to see how Nintendo can salvage things with 1st party titles this year, and after that all bets are off.

2-It is still early, but to me the big miscalculation Nintendo made was investing so much in the GamePad when frankly I've seen little evidence it is going to be successful as a Wiimote type system seller. I completely agree with Opiate that Nintendo cannot just follow Sony and Microsoft..but I do feel that quite possible a true Wii 2 might have been the better way to go- upgraded Wiimote+CC Pro in every box, and a system with specs possibly more in between generations making PS4-720 ports easier than what we will probably see.

3- Sort of off topic, but for all the (justified) observing of how terrible Western support is, right now Japanese support is actually worse. I don't know if its a lack of resources to port PS360 games or what, but Japanese support is basically nothing right now. IF Iwata/Nintendo is unable to get even decent Japanese support the system is in much bigger trouble than it looks even now.

Good post.

I was really hoping for a next gen controller that combined the shape of the nunchuck, with all of the abilities of a wiimote(as a 2 piece controller, one with a dpad, one with buttons), but I totally understand why they didn't go that route. It would be complicated and messy looking, but it would've given people the option of choosing pointer, or analog controls.

I still like the idea of the Wii U gamepad, off-TV Play has been a godsend.

I bought neither CoD nor NSMBU. I did buy all eShop indie stuff, and my current shopping list includes NFS, LCU, TokiTori2 and Runner2, among other things. Rayman was a title I anticipated much.

I doubt I'm a good representative of the market, but I guess I'm not alone when I say this: I don't generally value 'core' titles unless they are of genres I fancy or there's something particular about the title that impresses me. CoD, AC3, ME3, BAC, NSMBU all fall in the category of titles where the 'core' factor means absolutely nothing to me. I might pick any of those on a whim but those are not titles I anticipate and would actively pursue during their launch windows.

I'm saying all this to illustrate that the 'core games == core gamers' model most publishers are trying to impose on the market is not exactly universal. 'Core gamers' don't automatically go out and buy any 'core' game publishers bring to a given platform. Each franchise, or more broadly genre, needs to cultivate its user base, and then things like franchise fatigue and genre over-saturation need to be taken into consideration. For the record, I'm a satisfied WiiU owner with 400+ play hours since the console's European launch.
I feel similar to you. I'm not overly excited for Watch Dogs. Ubisoft seems to be putting effort into the Wii U version, but I don't know if I'll pick it up. I'm worried it'll sell badly on the U and me not buying it will just contribute to it's low attach ratio :/

SmokeMaxX

Nintendo certainly isn't helping their case by seemingly abandoning their platform. I mean their WiiU support is roughly equivalent to Activision's right now. I understand that games aren't out for it yet, but how about a commercial or two? Most people don't even know about the WiiU or just have fuzzy details.

Also this drought is bad. If noone buys the WiiU, 3rd parties abandon the platform. It'll be very difficult (and semi-expensive) to get them to come back once Nintendo starts rolling and the WiiU starts selling. What WiiU owners want is a AAA title that's EXCLUSIVE to the system. Too risky for 3rd parties though. Nintendo should really help fund/advertise those titles if they want that audience. Otherwise they have to be content with just not having that audience.

Calamari41

41 > 38
They may very well be upset at the sales of the game on Wii U, but are we really supposed to believe that a professional member of a multi-billion dollar company is going to express that sentiment like a 12 year old console warrior? Not even Sony and Microsoft employees talk like that.

nikatapi

Also this drought is bad. If noone buys the WiiU, 3rd parties abandon the platform. It'll be very difficult (and semi-expensive) to get them to come back once Nintendo starts rolling and the WiiU starts selling. What WiiU owners want is a AAA title that's EXCLUSIVE to the system. Too risky for 3rd parties though. Nintendo should really help fund/advertise those titles if they want that audience. Otherwise they have to be content with just not having that audience.

Did ZombiU sell well? It was a game tailored for the system i think, so if it sold well this could be a reason why Ubisoft keeps supporting the WiiU.

They may very well be upset at the sales of the game on Wii U, but are we really supposed to believe that a professional member of a multi-billion dollar company is going to express that sentiment like a 12 year old console warrior? Not even Sony and Microsoft employees talk like that.

The head of Sony's Playstation division referred to the Xbox 360 as Xbox 1.5. That was followed by his division losing more money in one generation than they made total in the previous two generations. A big reason for that loss was Xbox 1.5 kicking the crap out of his 599 dollar mistake. Execs say stupid shit too.

big youth

What you say is interesting. It seems like for the most part Nintendo doesn't seem to engage third parties except for the rare occasion for something like the original uDraw on the Wii. I wonder if it has to do with general apathy or the fact that Nintendo isn't as tech-heavy as the other two companies. They are also significantly smaller than the other two.
It's been talked about to death, but Nintendo in the precarious position of not wanting to spend money to get more games on their console to compete with their own software. They lose money on both ends, at least in the short term.

I think we're already seeing Nintendo's answer to this. By publishing games like Lego City Undercover, Ninja Gaiden 3, both Platinum games, etc and teaming up to make games like SMTxFE Nintendo is able to release a larger number of games while also having their hands in the proverbial pie. as long as the games sell well on average it's a win/win scenario for Nintendo. of course, unless they amplify this strategy x5 it won't make up for all the 3rd party support Wii U lacks, but it's a logical start.

big youth

Did ZombiU sell well? It was a game tailored for the system i think, so if it sold well this could be a reason why Ubisoft keeps supporting the WiiU.
it was the top selling 3rd party game on Wii U

It's obvious Ubisoft has a different philosphy from many other devs. They want their games on as many platforms as possible.

however I think the bigger factor is Ubisoft had great success on Wii, so they went all in on Wii U. it wasn't just Just Dance, but many of their early Wii games, such as Red Steel and Raving Rabbids that made them a pretty penny. They know the value and potential of launch games.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The head of Sony's Playstation division referred to the Xbox 360 as Xbox 1.5. That was followed by his division losing more money in one generation than they made total in the previous two generations. A big reason for that loss was Xbox 1.5 kicking the crap out of his 599 dollar mistake. Execs say stupid shit too.

You are definitely right, I was referring more to talking shit about the fan base itself and should have made that clear. Especially when you're trying to get that fan base to buy your game.

Oddduck

http://wsws.org/en/articles/2012/06/nycw-j11.html

I indirectly found this on 2ch. That face down there looks familiar.

It's hilarious how the rumor even started.

Basically started from here: https://twitter.com/CalvinReport/status/307598039009357824

Then a gaming journalist named Daniel Switzer from WiiUandmii.com tweeted it out: https://twitter.com/daniel_switzer/status/307599280930160643#

Then 5 minutes later Emily saw Daniel Switzer's tweet and posted it: https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers/status/307630738512171008

RMC saw it and it went to Go Nintendo.

Then went to: http://gengame.net/2013/03/rumor-ac...-wii-u-sales-says-nintendo-fans-are-all-talk/

Then the gengame article went to N4G (and ended up on 100's of websites) which lead to a thread on NeoGaf.

Fucking. Hilarious. Nobody did a damn thing to check who Calvin Hall was.

Too be fair people who want 3rd party games on Nintendo have been burned so many times with crappy ports that date back to the Gamecube era. The Nintendo version would always get a quickie job unless Nintendo threw some kind of moneyhat.

It's not just about crappy ports. It's a problem with Nintendo platforms and their audience. I'm glad you brought up the GCN, because that system received some amazing exclusives, and they didn't perform accordingly. There were fantastic exclusives like: Viewtiful Joe (sold okay for budget/Capcom expected better), Beyond Good and Evil, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 0, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Killer 7, PN03, etc...all which didn't live up to sales expectations or flopped in general.

It's unfortunate that This Activision rep was too direct, but its true. As a long time Nintendo fan who has been posting in gaming forums since 2002/2003, I've seen countless core gaming third party exclusives for Nintendo systems flop, time and time again. Even on healthier Nintendo systems than GCN; I'm talking Wii and 3DS.

A lot of times Nintendo fans will justify spending their $ instantly on Nintendo's own games, rightfully so as its generally what sells Nintendo systems. Yet, these same fans will cry out for localizations or exude excitement then ignore even the acclaimed exclusives for third party. Theyll justiify every reason to ignore the games - from reviews, to backlog, to money, to time and guess what = it flops. that means no more exclusives and third party turn away, period.

Its because of this, third parties have long held the opinion that they compete with Nintendo, on a Nintendo system.

So either support third party games and buy them when they're not bargain bin, or don't expect third party games - but you can't bitch when you didn't buy the games in the first place.

Cause and effect.

gfdoom

Well that's that, no more making rumor threads from a random wordpress blog with 1 post.

the sad thing, if it's negative against any game maker it'll get posted and spoken too as if it's the truth. Just look how everyone ran with a post from a shitty looking wordpress blog that only had 2 post total...

donny2112

I can believe this, sadly.

Playing through ACIII, I sent a convoy from my homestead and a message pops up saying I am in the Top 50 Worldwide for number of convoys sent. I only sent one.

Yesterday, I sent an ally to help assassinate some redcoats. I'm apparently in the top 5 WW for doing so. I really hope that's a bug of some kind...

Oh, man. That is crazy if it's not a bug. I was hopeful for AC3 doing well on Wii U, but if that's anywhere close to accurate (I don't care if 100K only sent 1 convoy, that's still only 100K), it's a miracle that ACIV is already planned for Wii U. Can't do anything about it now, but since AC is much less tied to the multi-player userbase, in my opinion, they simply had to have the system out for AC3's launch day. Missing October was a terrible, terrible, worth being fired or demoted over decision in the U.S.

InPlosion

I don't even like consoles all that much, expecially nintendo ones.
But hell, telling people they are "all talk" because they didn't want your latest copy pasted rehash is preposterous.

Vinci

Danish
The relationship between Nintendo fans and 3rd parties is essentially poisoned: There is no clear cure, particularly while the other two platform-holders exist. 3rd parties, by and large, treat Nintendo platform owners like 2nd class citizens, while Nintendo fans distrust whether any 3rd party title is made respectfully.

Until one of the other two drops out, 3rd parties don't absolutely need to support a Nintendo system and so they mostly won't, at least not to a level of frequency or quality that Sony and MS receive.

That's life. People need to get used to this and assume, current competitive as it is, that this will not change, regardless of what Nintendo does.

A lot of times Nintendo fans will justify spending their $ instantly on Nintendo's own games, rightfully so as its generally what sells Nintendo systems. Yet, these same fans will cry out for localizations or exude excitement then ignore even the acclaimed exclusives for third party. Theyll justiify every reason to ignore the games - from reviews, to backlog, to money, to time and guess what = it flops. that means no more exclusives and third party turn away, period.

Its because of this, third parties have long held the opinion that they compete with Nintendo, on a Nintendo system.

So either support third party games and buy them when they're not bargain bin, or don't expect third party games - but you can't bitch when you didn't buy the games in the first place.

Cause and effect.
So basically, Nintendo as a company should be indirectly punished because their titles tend to sell too well over time. Blaming the "fans" is ridiculous. How many gamers are going to throw money at a game with the sole intent to support a dev/pub? The problem lies in how so many third party titles depend on frontloaded sales while most Nintendo titles don't. Prices on Nintendo games don't plummet in a few months so people have more reason not to wait for a price drop.

Perhaps re-evaluating Iwata's assertion not to devalue their games over time would be a good move in this respect for helping third party sales but maybe it'd just hamper Nintendo's own revenues.

Top Bottom