• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Working class gaf, how do you deal with office politics?

ehead

Thread title says it all. How do you deal with it? I raise this question as our director is currently being investigated by our corporate office because some faction reported him for not performing his functions properly. They told on him because he changed their monthly targets to push for better performance. I can't really blame the director since the previous one he replaced was very lenient, and was very much okay with the status quo. However, the reason the previous director got replaced was because of politics too. Now, here I am a peon just observing this shit, and getting asked stuff by both sides. I'm too tired already by my work, and I'm getting extra stressed by this drama. What can I do? Also, I can't really quit right now since I'm still paying for my mortgage (2 more years).

120v

just keep your head down and play the game. i used to let it get to me but i realized no matter where i work it's going to be the same shit more or less. people are assholes, you just have to roll with it

Ka-Kui

I agree, the game has got to be played. I'd rather not deal with it but it's unfortunate there. In order to get ahead you need to have control over other people's perception of you.

Me personally I send a lot of emails to cover my back just to make sure I got shit in writing. I've almost got it down to a science.

Ass kissing is something I'm trying to learn. My friend tells me the way he does it is a quick peck on the cheeks in front of the right people.

Last edited:

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Do not engage with it. At all. In fact actively make fun of it any chance you get. I used to sing the game of thrones theme any time I saw people whispering to each other. My motto is “if it doesn’t envolve my work, then I don’t care.”

ehead

"I am just here to do my job and earn a paycheck"

Honestly, I was about to say this directly to our director. I was too tired of doing my own shit, and the drama ain’t helping. It’s a good thing most of the stuff I’m doing still materializes positively.

One of my concerns is whenever I get asked for a person or a source of the office gossip. I know it’s there, and I know where it usually originates. I’m the honest type, so I just tell I know there’s something going on, I just don’t know where/who. It still sucks though.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Honestly, I was about to say this directly to our director. I was too tired of doing my own shit, and the drama ain’t helping. It’s a good thing most of the stuff I’m doing still materializes positively.

One of my concerns is whenever I get asked for a person or a source of the office gossip. I know it’s there, and I know where it usually originates. I’m the honest type, so I just tell I know there’s something going on, I just don’t know where/who. It still sucks though.

Working in office environments suck hard. Everyone is in each others business as that's all ppl really have to entertain themselves. It just becomes a vicious circle of gossip BS.
I ended up cracking up and snapping at people. I didn't want to be part of the washing wives group. Few months later I got sacked for uhhh "un-sociable" reasons. Looking back I honestly don't regret loosing my job.
Some ppl love it. But it ain't for me and I never recommend anyone to that environment.

I don't envy you buddy :(.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I worked at home for 5 years so I ignored them. Now that they have called everyone into the office they are all around me again. :(

waxer

Mostly just stay out it if not work related. But there are times where official channels aren't working that stirring some shit can get the job done. My case is different in that I would be doing it for clients unable to represent themselves.

ehead

Ever since I started working here (4 years long), rumors have always been present. I try to let enter one ear and pass through the other. Most of it is really pointless and I really can't see the benefit of exerting effort in understanding it.

I'm already at work again. I'm hoping I'll be devoid of this negativity today.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
The one time I tried working a white collar office job it was crazy to me how much back stabbing and gossip there was. I remember one day this guy was calling another worker all the names under the sun when that person walked in and he was instantly sweet on him. I turned to him after and I'm like man, you're a mutt. After that I stuck to the kitchens and building sites. You get gossip there but most of the time if someone have a problem they'll just come right on out with it.

I just hate when I try to avoid it but get swallowed in anyway. Watch what you say, especially in environments where pepole can just walk up on you and overhear you.

Be smart about the people you trust, and don't go all in on someone that you guys don't mutually like out in the open. Avoid bad temptations, and cover your ass.

nush

Gold Member
Don't get involved, you'll get sucked into a vortex of bullshit and the fuckers will turn on you for being on the wrong "side".

-Minsc-

Never worked in a typical office environment. Reading this thread reminds me to reconsider how I handle forum politics. It's easy to get sucked in and let it negatively effect my life out there. There's enough home politics to deal with. To go farther, there's enough internal politics going on in my own head.

Last edited:
just keep your head down and play the game. i used to let it get to me but i realized no matter where i work it's going to be the same shit more or less. people are assholes, you just have to roll with it

Yep this. The grass is always greener and such; this happens at every office job.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Mostly it isn't really an issue. I work in a lab doing organic synth reactions on a daily basis. Almost everyone has the same political viewpoint and believes that we need more money or how most folk don't understand the basics of science, making our daily lives harder. Really the most we talk about politics is laughing at a politician for misunderstanding/misrepresenting basic scientific concepts that are understandable by most elementary schoolers.

paolo11

Don't say anything negative about anyone to someone from work.

I agree on this. Just do your best at work with good attitude and it will pay off. Most complainers I know either got fired or quit.

Politics will be there no matter what. It’s part of the game. You will experience getting a boss or leader which is not deserving but do not let that affect your duties.

Fnord

I agree with the "keep your head down" comments. It's not a guarantee that you'll be safe, but it's the best option.

Ka-Kui

You know great people don't get to where they are by simply playing it straight - it's about how they play it straight.

It's all well and good to keep your head down and saying you just wanna get on with your job but you've got to apply some tact. Because if you don't you may end up pissing people off that may have an influence on your situation.

At the same time if you don't play the game you may end up an unknowing victim of scapegoating.

I dunno the exact situation at your work because every little detail counts. So it'll be hard IMO for anyone to give you the precise advice you seem to be asking for.

But the general advice I'd give is you got to play the game just enough to keep yourself from ending up in anyone's firing line or to neutralise the situation. It's very delicate but only you would know best how to handle it because every workplace has its own unique dynamics and situations.

Work politics is all about how you handle personalities who are in all these different situations in relation to yourself. Weigh out pros and cons of a decision and make peace with the cons before you make that decision, there is no perfect choice/route as long as you're happy with what you get out of it.

But if you're going to be there for at least two more years, the politics is going to be unavoidable and I can't stress ebough you have to play the game even in order to ensure your peace of mind. Even deciding to "keep your head down and getting on with the job" is a political decision in itself.

Top Bottom