• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Working Designs almost published Phantasy Star IV, Sega of America wanted it to fail

vireland

Jul 21, 2004
You need to highlight his role on the back cover or something. "THE INIMITABLE JOHN TRUITT RETURNS!"

I never want to over-promise and under-deliver. John's great in Summon Night 6, but it's a much more mellow, unemotional role than Ghaleon, for example. His line delivery is sublime, but Ist is an emotionless overseer for most of the game, so you won't get many crazy "MAGIC EMPEROR GHALEON!" over-the-top moments.

The cast in this really came together, though. I was concerned because there were SO many parts (like 60) and we farmed about 20% of the (20,000) lines out to BangZoom! because it was too much in the time we had on the crazy schedule for this monster of a game. But we're playing through the game now to debug and it's really pretty seamless. Easily the most voice I've ever done in a game - like 18 hours total.

Feb 28, 2008
GA,USA
I'd love another fantasy pseudo-RTS like Dragon Force, too! Haven't seen anything to fit the bill yet, though. Summon Night 6 should satisfy your strategy-RPG itch in the meantime, however. Almost done with the game and I still like it, so that's a good sign. Usually by this point I'm completely sick of whatever game were working on from being immersed so long.

Bit of a tangent, but do you have any read on the general timeline/reckonings on the whole "Spectral (Souls)" gnarled family tree of projects scattered in all directions like pebbles in a tornado?

Idea Factory really seems to have had an atypical life since their advent on the PSX gen---doing their own thing in strange ways and by stranger still means, but a fair bit of it does seem rather down the SRPG rabbit hole even with seemingly the outstanding bulk never making it out in English.

vireland

Jul 21, 2004
Bit of a tangent, but do you have any read on the general timeline/reckonings on the whole "Spectral (Souls)" gnarled family tree of projects scattered in all directions like pebbles in a tornado?

Idea Factory really seems to have had an atypical life since their advent on the PSX gen---doing their own thing in strange ways and by stranger still means, but a fair bit of it does seem rather down the SRPG rabbit hole even with seemingly the outstanding bulk never making it out in English.

I don't have any insight, except as a player. I've played most of them at least a bit, but the general problem with Idea Factory is while they may have ideas, they are ALWAYS woefully short on budget and the games suffer as a result. I always think "this one will be better" when the next comes out, and I'm always disappointed. The overall cheap look and feel of the game is why you haven't seen most of them in English. It's a lot of work, and not worth the time to localize them.

Feb 28, 2008
GA,USA
Interesting. Kind of like a Cyanide/Spiders niche in a way heh. I think all of their most recent stuff has landed on Mobile and kind of budding on Steam, though moreso the non-Spectral mainline fare...

Are there any other relative rough peers in the hinterlands they have in Japan in terms of reach exceeding grasp when it comes to SRPGs and the like that come to mind that folks may or may not know of but could well do? It feels like most eccentrics fade away after a title or so, but there must be some others that have endured in a fashion chasing the time where they can actually hit upon some kind of slippery, if duct tape woven, Gestalt?

AmyS

Aug 22, 2012
Phantasy Star also existed on the Mega Drive so it's possible that they were testing it on Sega Channel at some point to gauge interest.

I've always loved that artwork of PSI on the Mega Drive.

Here's some GamePro reader artwork for PSI & PSII.

This is by far my all-time favorite: