• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Working PC version of Panzer Dragoon Saga exists!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
XBLA version please for those of a none PC owning way, many thanks, I only ever got to play the 1st Demo disc, I never bought SAGA in full one of my Gaming regrets :(

Wiseblade

Gametap working on PDS known for a couple years or so, but I never heard if they actually got it working. Considering how long they've been sitting on it, I don't think we'll see it iany time soon though.

xptoxyz

On September 24, 2008, Time Warner sold the service to Paris-based Metaboli. Turner continued to handle GameTap's operations during the transition period, which lasted until 2009.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameTap#History

Therefore this Joystiq article from May 14th 2009 was possibly written in the transition period, and after that abandoned(?).
Marchini confirm that GameTap does have the rights to distribute Saga, but does not hold the exclusive publishing rights for the game and is not "barring others" from releasing it on other platforms.

"The main factor keeping GameTap from releasing PDS [is the] complexity of Saturn emulation."

Gametap working on PDS known for a couple years or so, but I never heard if they actually got it working. Considering how long they've been sitting on it, I don't think we'll see it iany time soon though.

The versions of PD and PDZ on the service were great, they even ran in high resolution (800x600 iirc), which is very rare for Saturn emulation.

Reminds me of how they announced they'd release NiGHTS on the service.

And then never did.

Ever.

:\

Then again, I own a perfectly functional Saturn copy of both that and this (and Jesus did PDS cost a pretty penny), so I'm set... but it'd have been nice to have an easy, cheap and legal route to point people toward if they wanted to try these games out.

And yeah, there was Dreamcast emulation too. I recall trying to run Chu Chu Rocket, but for some reason, it was kind of in slow-motion, which can't be right. Also, when Capcpom put Third Strike on the service, it was the DC version they used. Then all the Sega library vanished...

Xater

As has been noted, I'm pretty sure this was just emulation, not a PC port.

Panzer Dragoon Saga has been playable via emulation for several years at this point.

And I would gladly take that over no way to play it at all
legally.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is SSF (near) perfect at this point? I haven't followed Saturn emulation in a long time, but this thread is making me want to play PDS again, and if I can play it more or less perfectly without having to rely on my Saturn's wonky battery backup, all the better.

RaffAO

I got a nice PAL copy missing its outer sleeve for a reasonable price some years ago to replace my unreliable burned discs. I'd buy another digital copy in a heartbeat.

It's the only JRPG I have any strong attachment to, it's incredibly atmospheric. Short and sweet too, I imagine it stands up rather well for first timers even today. It was quite ahead of its time in some ways.

For PDS, SSF will work great.

It leaves something to be desired on other games, however. Daytona USA is way too quiet; BUG! has a background that spasms up and down (although the foreground is fine, fortunately); Rayman interprets all button presses like they were from turbo controllers, being pressed anew every other frame; Clockwork Knight 2 crashes when loading any submenu from the main menu, making it impossible to play the actual game... it's on a game-by-game basis. Most games work fine, though.

M3d10n

100% sure this is the GiriGiri-based emulator which was used for Panzer Dragoon Zwei. The emulator was fully compatible with Saga (the hacked versions, that is).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Probably not :(

I don't know how it's possible to make such a great game then lose the source code. Crazy.

It is easier then you think, devs back in those days were not known for keeping the source code around, especially Japanese developers not named Nintendo.

Seik

Banned
Whaaaaat?

Just use your Saturn copy and play it with SSF, it's about what you'd get if they did launch it on one of those services.

That's what I'm actually doing with mine, still, if they manage to upscale the internal resolution, which SSF can't do, I'm down.

rbenchley

I saw very hi-res screenshots of PDS in a Retro Gamer issue a couple years ago. It clearly said it was being emulated, and it definitely was running at a high resolution. What emu were they using? It looked fantastic, but like you said, SSF doesn't upscale.

If I remember correctly, Giri Giri has an option to render games up to 1600 x 1200 or something like that. Yabause has some support as well for higher resolutions, but development is sporadic at best. SSF is a great emulator, but I really wish that it had high resolution support. It does have some basic plug-in support but custom resolutions and anti-aliasing would be much more useful.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If I remember correctly, Giri Giri has an option to render games up to 1600 x 1200 or something like that. Yabause has some support as well for higher resolutions, but development is sporadic at best. SSF is a great emulator, but I really wish that it had high resolution support. It does have some basic plug-in support but custom resolutions and anti-aliasing would be much more useful.

From my understanding, Saturn renders in quads as opposed to triangles, which makes direct transfer to a 3D accelerated videocard impossible.

You can make a quad with two triangles, and it seems that's doable natively with OpenGL. But, as you said, the emulators that do it don't get updates.

Yabause does that on the 3D side, but any 2D overlay has the potential to get fucked up. Here's a picture stolen from other forum showing Panzer Dragoon running on Yabause with high-resolution rendering. I'd do some screengrabs of my own, but I can't get Yabause to read my CDs and I don't have anything to rip them right now. Be aware that there's no Texture smoothing or anything else: It's just higher-resolution rendering of the 3D models:

PDS_Yabause.jpg

SSF is still the best bet, and that only runs in Software mode, so no high-resolution goodness Saturn anywhere soon.

I'll be honest, I've been tempted to try other emulators just to see how everyone's doing playing catch-up to SSF. I recall messing with Cassini back before SSF really hit its stride, and while it worked (very slowly, but to be fair I was on a slower computer then than I am now), I recall having issues with save game corruption for one reason or another...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
That's pretty awesome, even though I own the original it'd be so nice for more people to get to play this great game... I love what I've played of the Panzer series, just recently picked up a copy of Zwei to play through and am loving it... the atmosphere and music are striking in every game in the series.

Draikin 2

It's not surprising, back in 2009 GameTap did mention they could release the game if they wanted to. But from what I heard their PD Zwei port wasn't that great, so most likely it would just have been PD Saga running on an emulator. There's a petition going on for a rerelease of the PD games on XBLA/PSN here: http://panzerdragoonrevival.com/, if anyone's interested in signing it.

Top Bottom