• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Working PC version of Panzer Dragoon Saga exists!

Tajin

Banned
Hopefully Joystiq and Kotaku bloggers read this thread on their morning neogaf news scan and this can gain some attention. Panzer Dragoon Saga on Steam would be groundbreaking.

You sure Sega had the code? I don't exactly remember what was said, but it sounded like they just gave gametap the code and were basically like "whatever do what you want, if you can get it to work then cool". I'm not sure if he said that Sega themselves would have the code. It may be in the hands of whoever has Gametap's stuff now. Then again I'm not sure how licenses work but just because Sega owns the ip, I don't think means they own ports or whatever of things they have signed off on.

Eusis

That implies at the least that they COULD get PDS working on PC, ideally for Steam release, or on one of the consoles. Maybe M2 could get it done for real?

This is fairly exciting news either way. It would be a bonus if somehow the lost code was recovered but I'm not holding my breath.

Xater

You sure Sega had the code? I don't exactly remember what was said, but it sounded like they just gave gametap the code and were basically like "whatever do what you want, if you can get it to work then cool". I'm not sure if he said that Sega themselves would have the code. It may be in the hands of whoever has Gametap's stuff now. Then again I'm not sure how licenses work but just because Sega owns the ip, I don't think means they own ports or whatever of things they have signed off on.

I think usually if a deal like this falls flat I think the publisher keeps the stuff. Even if not and Gametap still has it I am sure a deal could be worked out. Would be a shame if this title will be lost because it is so rare.

I think usually if a deal like this falls flat I think the publisher keeps the stuff. Even if not and Gametap still has it I am sure a deal could be worked out. Would be a shame if this title will be lost because it is so rare.

Well I guess it's just up to if Sega thinks its a worthwhile investment and well given the recent news about Sega....I don't know.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would pay money for a PC version of Saga, and I already OWN the game.

scitek

Well I guess it's just up to if Sega thinks its a worthwhile investment and well given the recent news about Sega....I don't know.

Thankfully they're shifting their focus to digital distribution (outside of the 4 franchises they mentioned), so it's not a total impossibility.

I believe this in reference to a Saturn emulator running PDS. I vaguely remembering hearing about this years ago when Saturn emulation was still in its infancy.

Googling, it appears that gametap was putting up emulated Saturn games around 2007.

Eusis

I would pay money for a PC version of Saga, and I already OWN the game.
I think most who own it would, we're talking about a stupid rare 4 disc game for a system that requires fresh CR2032 batteries every 2 years just to save, nevermind the usual issues like dying disc drives or broken controllers. Seriously, this may be the one game that needs re-release most.

Frank Cifaldi has talked about this on old episodes of Retronauts. Fun fact: Jeremy Parish wrote the manual for the GameTap release of PDS.

Eusis

Didn't sega lose the original code or something?
I don't imagine that actually prevents a re-release. At worst you remake the game, but more likely they emulate it and make the emulator auto switch discs as necessary, assuming they can't just make some Frakenstein-esque abomination out of the ISOs and eliminate that outright. At any rate as I understand throwing away source code's been a bad habit for Japanese developers, hell it sounds like throwing out assets PERIOD is a bad habit for developers given the BG:Enhanced Edition can't properly put in higher quality art as the old assets are gone.
Frank Cifaldi has talked about this on old episodes of Retronauts. Fun fact: Jeremy Parish wrote the manual for the GameTap release of PDS.
Were we this close? Dammit.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They were using emulators, SEGA had that service in Japan and a few Western services too, like this one and I think Direct2Drive too, but I don't believe they ever added Saga on any of them, though Zwei was there.

Just use your Saturn copy and play it with SSF, it's about what you'd get if they did launch it on one of those services.

scitek

They were using emulators, SEGA had that service in Japan and a few Western services too, like this one and I think Direct2Drive too, but I don't believe they ever added Saga on any of them, though Zwei was there.

Just use your Saturn copy and play it with SSF, it's about what you'd get if they did launch it on one of those services.

A reasonably priced solution for all.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

^ Yeah... this.

I think a lot of the appeal of this is due to the longstanding myth that Saturn emulators don't exist or whatever. You can already play it right now on a PC. Yeah, you'd need to pay for the rare discs - or pirate - but this GameTap version would theoretically have to be pirated anyway, right?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
A reasonably priced solution for all.
There's a higher chance of being able to acquire a Saturn copy than to get an official release on PC after all this time me thinks.

Especially since it's been years since SEGA cared to do anything on that front. Genesis games still get released, but not Saturn.

As for the price of course you can't risk it if you're poor like me, but you can always buy, play, then resell for a similar price.

Edit: I forgot about Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun I guess.

How did those perform on XBLA and have they announced other Saturn games? Though they also hold up better graphically etc...

scitek

There's a higher chance of being able to acquire a Saturn copy than to get an official release on PC after all this time me thinks.

Especially since it's been years since SEGA cared to do anything on that front. Genesis games still get released but not Saturn.

Edit: I forgot about Guardian Heroes I guess. How did that perform?

A copy isn't hard to find, really, but I can't afford to spend a couple hundred bucks on a single game.

I missed out on this game the first time around because of its scarcity and my ignorance of getting such games but can someone give me a quick primer on why this game has such a cult following on the internet?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This was known about for ages due to that GiriGiri emulator clearly being able to emulate PDS nigh on perfectly and then Sega outright picked it up or whatever for commercial releases. Just, in typical Sega fashion, they never got round to the actual MAKING MONEY part.

Cheerilee

I missed out on this game the first time around because of its scarcity and my ignorance of getting such games but can someone give me a quick primer on why this game has such a cult following on the internet?

It was promoted as Saturn's "Final Fantasy VII killer" (so was Grandia apparently, in Japan). Sega knew FF7 was coming well in advance and they knew it was going to be big, and would do great things for Sony's PSX, so they tried to fight fire with fire and make their own Saturn-exclusive great RPGs.

But they eventually realized the game didn't stand a chance in America, so they didn't even print very many of them. It ended up as a top-level RPG made for the twelve or so people who cared about RPGs on the Saturn in America. That's a recipe for a cult following.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Two reasons:

-it was ahead of its time in terms of battle systems and narrative
-SOA printed, like, twenty copies

Aselith

Better sell off those PDS copies now while they still have value. This news though...it's very relevant to my interests. Now do Dragon Force and Burning Rangers and I'll sell my Saturn.

As has been noted, I'm pretty sure this was just emulation, not a PC port.

Panzer Dragoon Saga has been playable via emulation for several years at this point.

Aselith

As has been noted, I'm pretty sure this was just emulation, not a PC port.

Panzer Dragoon Saga has been playable via emulation for several years at this point.

It wouldn't make sense for Gametap to be working on an emulator for Saturn games. It had to be something that would be playable only on PC without a disk. They might be emulating the Saturn code to work on the PC but I'd take that with a thank you.

Meh, Jeremy Parish already revealed that he did the Instructions manuel for this version on gametap for Frank Cifaldi, so this is old news.

It wouldn't make sense for Gametap to be working on an emulator for Saturn games. It had to be something that would be playable only on PC without a disk. They might be emulating the Saturn code to work on the PC but I'd take that with a thank you.
You don't need a physical disc to use Saturn emulation.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'd prefer to procure a copy legally though. Basically, this would give people a legal and inexpensive way to play the game whether it's simply emulation or an actual port.

Gametap was once a service where you would pay a flat monthly fee to access their entire game library, with many games you could download and play at your leisure. This included a ton of emulated games which were licensed from the original publisher. They still have that service in a browser-based form here. So Gametap had a license to release certain emulated Sega games at the time, and this included Saturn games.
they even had some Dreamcast games up at some point
Once they figured out the emulator, they started putting up stuff like Bug, Clockwork Knight, Panzer Dragoon, etc.

It was entirely legal. Unfortunately, Gametap imploded and most of that went away. You can still go there and pay a flat monthly fee to get a bunch of old SNK amd Capcom games to play in your browser, and you still get access to some decent last-gen PC games.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yes, I still miss the old Gametap. :(

Fun fact: The Sam and Max Telltale series used to be GameTap exclusive. The episodic model was perfect for the GT monthly fee business. That's why you'll see Gametap in the opening credits of at least the early Sam and Max episodes.

I loved Gametap. I even got extra subscriptions for my kids since the client was the best interface for children. I wish someone would remake that interface. Maybe Steam for TVs will.

Anyways, I wouldn't get too hopeful that PDS exists. When Gametap was bought, the new owners didn't get access to any of Gametap's code and it is unlikely anyone over at TimeWarner saved it.

Top Bottom