• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Destruction (Sega x ImageEpoch), JP release - 18th Sept, Trailer - Post #359

duckroll

3 Xenogears staffers reunite again on Sega's new RPG for the DS, World Destruction. Kato will handle the scenario, Tanaka is doing the character designs and Mitsuda is in charge of the sound. Screens look 3D, and look pretty nice, but until someone scans the rest of the article, and there are clean scans so I can read who the producer and director are, I can't tell you more.

Edit: OH WAIT FUCK I'M BLIND THIS IS ONE OF IMAGE EPOCH'S UNANNOUNCED GAMES. MORE TO COME.

duckroll

The producer appears to be Sega's Youichi Shimosato, while the director is Image Epoch's Ryoei Mikage. I hope this doesn't suck like Luminous Arc. :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
For a game called WORLD DESTRUCTION, I hope this is the first JRPG with absolutely no worlds being destroyed.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
The producer appears to be Sega's Youichi Shimosato, while the director is Image Epoch's Ryoei Mikage. I hope this doesn't suck like Luminous Arc. :(
Hopefully this is the first game Niinou had some influence on at least.

batbeg

I like the art, and the screens look pretty good from what I can tell but the desert background looks kind of juxtaposed and weird.

I also think the scan rule is kind of stupid, if only because we all talk about the scans (and we clearly didn't buy the magazines) and even the mods mention them :-\ Oh well, I understand the reasoning.

EDIT: PolyGone, it's on a Nintendo platform, Go to a popular Nintendo blog.

PolyGone

Banned
ah, **********. Thanks. Anyway, it looks cool from what I can see. Seems like the backgrounds might be 3d, the in-house shot really reminds me of xenogears. Could be cool, for sure...

Maybe it's the shitty "scan" speaking but I think it looks really nice. It seems to have some mildly big names involved... shame IE is developing. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Aeana

Even more scans showed up, and it looks pretty cool. The main thing I've learned from them is that the combat is turn-based, which is music to my ears.

duckroll

Okay, the other 4 pages popped up. Looks pretty good. Great backgrounds. The game is turn-based and uses a traditional command system, big bosses take up both screens. Image Epoch is following Level 5's lead in Media Mix, so a TV anime of World Destruction is already planned to start airing in July 2008. The game is due in Summer 2008.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aeana said:
Even more scans showed up, and it looks pretty cool. The main thing I've learned from them is that the combat is turn-based, which is music to my ears.
Yeah, I wish that battle screen wasn't cut off though.

TY for the details duckroll.

duckroll said:
Image Epoch is following Level 5's lead in Media Mix, so a TV anime of World Destruction is already planned to start airing in July 2008.

What exactly does this mean?

is this an anime-licensed game?

justchris

Chris Michael said:
What exactly does this mean?

is this an anime-licensed game?

Exact opposite, I think. They're creating a game and an anime based on the game at the same time, to utilize the great power of cross promotion.

PolyGone

Banned
yeah, the characters look awesome, especially that little pirate teddy bear thing :) so want

Aeana said:
Where are you seeing 3D models? I'm seeing drawn/pre-rendered backgrounds and sprites.

nah, the backgrounds are 3d - you can see the same blue tented vendor in two of the shots, but at different angles.

PolyGone

Banned
Aeana said:
That's what I thought originally, but it's hard to believe that that forest shot is 3D.

yeah that shot looks pretty damn good for ds - hopefully the gameplay matches the visuals

Holy cow this game looks really beautiful. Kind of want.

What's the deal with Image Epoch anyway? Are they just a bunch of newbies or is the company comprised of experienced staff?

batbeg

Aeana said:
That's what I thought originally, but it's hard to believe that that forest shot is 3D.

3D background with, er, prerendered areas thrown in?

(I don't know, but it does look gorgeous and I just wanted to say that)

Chris Michael said:
Holy cow this game looks really beautiful. Kind of want.

What's the deal with Image Epoch anyway? Are they just a bunch of newbies or is the company comprised of experienced staff?

All I know is they did Luminous Arc which was bleh.

So is this Ray, S, or DF?

duckroll

Aeana said:

But that's what the article says!

"Graphics that surpass the hardware's capabilties"

"2D and 3D!"

Unless they're lying. :)

Tenbatsu

duckroll said:
Wow it only took 40 posts before someone decided to do a WOW LOOK AT ME AND MY SUPPORT FOR NINTENDO WOOOOOO list. :p
Dam you, am just listing the DS RPG list for people's convenience:p Nvm, will take it out.

ethelred

The game looks really great. Nice character designs (aside from the main character, who looks like he's moonlighting on this game during his time off from Star Ocean 4, Last Remnant, and White Knight Story), excellent backgrounds. Too bad the one battle shot is cut off. I'm thrilled it's a traditional turn-based RPG, though. We can never have enough of those.

batbeg said:
So is this Ray, S, or DF?

Based on the artwork (compared to this) it's definitely Salamander.

Chris Michael said:

The more you know.

duckroll said:
The producer appears to be Sega's Youichi Shimosato...

I see. The producer for Shining Tears and Shining Force: Resurrection of Dark Dragon. One hit, one miss, but at least he has some experience with RPGs.

Aeana said:

Yeah, that shot in particular seems really hard to believe is true 3D. If it is, I'll be very impressed with what they're accomplishing here.

duckroll

justchris said:
Dammit people, Luminous Arc was a fun game. All it needed was a better story.

And better combat systems, and better characters, and better balance. Hey! All it needed was to be a BETTER GAME! :lol

because we were able to get away with it before.

duckroll said:
Mikage owns the company, so.....

According to ethelred's thread, the company is divided into teams presumably by Niinou, Kanemaru, and Mikage.

Top Bottom