• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Destruction (Sega x ImageEpoch), JP release - 18th Sept, Trailer - Post #359

king zell

wddd01.jpg
wddd02.jpg

wddd03.jpg
wddd04.jpg

wddd05.jpg

wdd01.jpg
wdd02.jpg

wdd03.jpg
wdd04.jpg
wdd05.jpg

ethelred

duckroll said:
So pretty. Backgrounds are insanely awesome. Sprites look great. FMVs look interesting with great art direction. Battles have TURN ORDER. :eek:

Yeah, the direct feed screens really look outstanding. And I love that there's a turn gauge in the battles. Those guys better watch out -- three turns for the sea serpent coming up!

RevenantKioku said:
People also still use paper to wipe their asses and watch TV in non-HD signals.
WHAT PRIMITIVE NIMRODS.

I thought everyone just used a bidet?

Dascu

duckroll said:
They -are- the good guys. It's about a group of people that are so sick of the oppression and direction the world is going, they want to change the world themselves even if it means triggering the destruction of the world for a "reset" status.
Cue every goddamn JRPG villain that wants to "purify the world of evil and racism".

duckroll

ethelred said:
Yeah, the direct feed screens really look outstanding. And I love that there's a turn gauge in the battles. Those guys better watch out -- three turns for the sea serpent coming up!

I don't think they have anything to worry about though, even though the HP meters seem to indicate one of them is dying, they're all at 850/850! :lol

Tailzo

duckroll said:
They -are- the good guys. It's about a group of people that are so sick of the oppression and direction the world is going, they want to change the world themselves even if it means triggering the destruction of the world for a "reset" status.
That's interesting. Sounds more like twisted bad guys original good intention, but before it turned into a twisted ambition.

Haunted

duckroll said:
I've killed about 20 main villains with that exact intention already. Turns out I was always fighting the good guys? My RPG life was a lie. ;_;

It is rare for me to enter RPG threads because Ethelred and Duckroll say what needs to be said for everyone pretty much, but something about that RPG just looks right.

JaMarco

Haunted One said:
I've killed about 20 main villains with that exact intention already. Turns out I was always fighting the good guys? My RPG life was a lie. ;_;
At this point its probably impossible for an rpg to have a 100 completely original plot line/

All the forces (people) behind it are worthy of nerdgasm floods. Seriously.

I'm really happy to see Kimihiko Fujisaka getting more work. I really loved his style in Drakengard...such beautiful art.

firex

Well, this game seems a lot better than what I could've feared. I bet this winds up being a sleeper RPG on the DS for me.

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:

I understand that, but I think it would be cool if there were your typical RPG cliched heroes trying to stop these guys every once in a while.

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
I understand that, but I think it would be cool if there were your typical RPG cliched heroes trying to stop these guys every once in a while.

Anyone trying to stop heroes trying to destroy a furry world is either a furry or a furry-apologist. The motion will not stand. :D

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
ivysaur12 said:

Isn't that kinda how Golden Sun for the GBA was?

duckroll

Considering how much the game looks like Grandia (awesome 3D backgrounds, awesome 2D sprites) and how much it sounds like Grandia (visible turn order, aerial hits, chain battles, cancels, special attacks, high tempo battle syetem), I really hope the encounter system is also like Grandia. Being able to gain an advantage in the battle depending on how you initiate the encounter would make it perfect.

Aeana

duckroll said:
Considering how much the game looks like Grandia (awesome 3D backgrounds, awesome 2D sprites) and how much it sounds like Grandia (visible turn order, aerial hits, chain battles, cancels, special attacks, high tempo battle syetem), I really hope the encounter system is also like Grandia. Being able to gain an advantage in the battle depending on how you initiate the encounter would make it perfect.

Yep. This is what finally made the dungeons in a Grandia game sufferable.

I hope it has random battles, though.

Kenka

duckroll said:
:lol :lol :lol What?!

I'm not joking. This game looks awesome. It seems like it will have a very decent budget. Many examples in the past like Chrono Trigger and Xenogears proved that new RPG IPs can sell a lot.

Aeana

Kenka said:
It looks very very good. I hope it will sell more than 1 or 2 million.

Are you sure you don't mean "1 million quarters of a million" or something? I'm no sales expert, but I don't see this game selling more than 200k or so, at maximum.

duckroll

Kenka said:
I'm not joking. This game looks awesome. It seems like it will have a very decent budget. Many examples in the past like Chrono Trigger and Xenogears proved that new RPG IPs can sell a lot.

If you say so! Don't let me shatter your illusion.

batbeg

Kenka said:

And Sega have many times shown that their big budget games won't get half the sales they deserve (Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, maybe now Valkyria Chronicles).

duckroll

batbeg said:
And Sega have many times shown that their big budget games won't get half the sales they deserve (Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, maybe now Valkyria Chronicles).

Nah, they usually get half the sales they deserve, after all I don't think Sega would ship less than they feel the game deserves to sell! :D

Edit: Based on previous games with a similar history and staff, and marketing potential, I think World Destruction should sell about 60-70k in the first week, at least. Lifetime sales will depend on the actual quality of the game, with a high estimate being 150-180k.

Kenka

Aeana said:
Are you sure you don't mean "1 million quarters of a million" or something? I'm no sales expert, but I don't see this game selling more than 200k or so, at maximum.

duckroll said:
If you say so! Don't let me shatter your illusion.

Interesting.

Let me add an argument. If third parties had little trouble to reach the magical 1 million bar with their best titles during the PS-era why couldn't be able to to do so now ? DS has a larger userbase, is RPG-oriented and enjoys an undeniable success as a leader in its market.

The conditions are here to ensure success for ambitious games. It is not the time to underestimate their potential sales. It would be wiser in contrary to bet on their ability to explod the charts like they used to do back in the days.

M3d10n

That battle screen screams Grandia and combined with 2D sprites+3D backgrounds it's making me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I hope they don't screw this up.

Kenka

duckroll said:
World's going into recession, who has money to buy games. Japan's bubble economy burst a long time ago. :)

If it is the case, how do you explain Nintendo's success in Japan ? How can they be the only company to sustain a growth these last years (aside of this gen winners like Rocket and IQ) ?

I think the recession is not the primary factor in this case. Developpers have to push their products and market them properly. If Sega, which seems to have a gem in its hands, can do that, I am sure this game will sell amazingly.

duckroll

Kenka said:
If Sega, which seems to have a gem in its hands, can do that, I am sure this game will sell amazingly.

Yeah, I'm sure Sega who has never had a single million selling RPG ever in the lifetime of their company can do it, even when Square-Enix can't sell a million of FF4 DS. :lol

duckroll said:
Yeah, I'm sure Sega who has never had a single million selling RPG ever in the lifetime of their company can do it, even when Square-Enix can't sell a million of FF4 DS. :lol

You speak the truth, but the truth hurts.

Stop it. :lol

I just hope, it sells enough in Japan to asure a world release.

batbeg

Kenka said:
If it is the case, how do you explain Nintendo's success in Japan ? How can they be the only company to sustain a growth these last years (aside of this gen winners like Rocket and IQ) ?

I think the recession is not the primary factor in this case. Developpers have to push their products and market them properly. If Sega, which seems to have a gem in its hands, can do that, I am sure this game will sell amazingly.

You're going to lose this fight.

Even more so when Media Create laughs at you.

Just back away, back away.

We all want good games to do really well, but that is not the reality of it, and I assure you Sega will not even ship that many copies - they'd be insane.

JaMarco

Kenka said:

ya man, this game wont sell anywhere near 1 million, ever

Top Bottom