• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Goo - Official Thread

CTLance

2poa2o5.png

Gotta appreciate the humor.
Edit HOLY FUCK THAT WAS FOUR HOURS AGO

Shit's addictive.

Yoschi

oh wow, i played the game waay to long. It's extremely addictive. The soundtrack is brilliant and the difficulty progression is really nice. Very polished game.
I need to go to sleep so i can't try out the multiplayer, but to anyone who is unsure about buying this: don't think twice, just buy it! (and maybe Secret of Mana and Cubello as well :p )

I love the Bridge Builder and Tower of Goo References. How much i used to play Bridge Builder! Definitely one of the best freeware games ever.

dLMN8R

Awesome game! Though that custom resolution trick messed the thing up - I tried 1680x1050 and there was no "continue" thing to click after I was done. Switched back to 800x600 and it worked fine.

Oh well, thanks to AA, you don't even notice the low resolution while playing.

I can't believe how brilliant this game is.
The end of chapter 2 is epic, poetic, crazy, funny and eco friendly all at the same time.
The level design reminds me of Mario Galaxy in the way there's a new cool idea that makes you smile every 5 minutes.
The way the leaderboard is a game in the game is pretty smart.
Even navigating the menus is a blast.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Taxman said:
This thread should be ten pages long by now. The game deserves it. It's incredible.

We're all too busy playing.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
No. Wiimote/Mouse is a necessity.

The Hermit

Can someone give tips on how to get OCDs ? I can´t score even the first stage :(

Anyway, the game is fun as hell, I can see playing this for a loooooong time! :D

markatisu

Just downloaded it, wow it takes up a lot of space!

It is sooo worth it though, I have only gotten to the 1st Chapter but already the puzzles have wowed me

THIS is the type of game made for the wiimote and we need more of them :D

I just finished Chapter 1, and I'm thrilled at how great this is. If they had boxed this and put it on store shelves, I'd have paid full price for it. $15 is by no means too much. This is worth as much, or more, than Boom Blox (which many, myself included, think should be >$50).

Dinnertime, then on to Chapter 2!

dLMN8R

This game is so awesome! The end of chapter 1 made me giddy like a little schoolgirl. When I realized what certain parts of the level were for my mouth just went agape and I grinned from ear to ear

:D

I'm not even bothering with the "OCD" goals for now, I'm happy simply beating each level. Once I beat the game, I figure I'll have the skillz to go back and try for those scores.

adg1034

Baiano19 said:
Can someone give tips on how to get OCDs ? I can´t score even the first stage :(

Anyway, the game is fun as hell, I can see playing this for a loooooong time! :D

For the first stage, you can only use three goo balls (if I'm remembering right). Stretch two of them to make another "box" on what's already there, then use the third to angle it up towards the pipe.

Or, just watch this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ15dJXBXpc

dyls

WOW. I was going to come post how great this game is an hour ago, but I had to play one more level first, and then another, and then another, and then another...

I got my first OCD on Chain, and while it was very satisfying, I couldn't help feeling bad for the one green goo I left all alone, just rolling back and forth expectantly. A little like Pikmin, I feel it each time one dies. It doesn't hurt the comparison that their voices sound almost identical to the Pikmin cries.

I've been playing Rock Band for a while. Mega Man 9 is the last game I played for Wii and it's fairly easy. World of Goo is just frustrating with no sense of reward.

ratcliffja said:
I've been playing Rock Band for a while. Mega Man 9 is the last game I played for Wii and it's fairly easy. World of Goo is just frustrating with no sense of reward.
I love every time I get some extra goos and add to my tower of power.

That's the thing. Building towers just doesn't feel right. I can't get them more than about 5 stories high before it all collapses. I really should have just downloaded the new Strong Bad episode instead.

I really, really wanted to like this game. Instead, it just feels like trying random arrangements until something works.

Edit: I'm not trying to totally crap on the game. I'm just really frustrating for buying into the hype. I don't know if I'm just missing something or what, but usually I have an "aha" moment in puzzle games. I've yet to have that despite the ridiculous difficulty. Not a single solution has made sense to me.

later

The only thing that sometimes annoys me is wiimote precision. Well, that's not really the issue, it's that the balls of goo and the balloons were constantly moving and packed together so it was pretty hard to select the one I needed which led me to loose a couple of gooballs as I selected the wrong type.

Nikorasu

ratcliffja said:
I really, really wanted to like this game. Instead, it just feels like trying random arrangements until something works.

Edit: I'm not trying to totally crap on the game. I'm just really frustrating for buying into the hype. I don't know if I'm just missing something or what, but usually I have an "aha" moment in puzzle games. I've yet to have that despite the ridiculous difficulty. Not a single solution has made sense to me.

Weird. I blew through the game with relative ease. I got stumped a few times but I don't think I spent more than 8 minutes on a level. Its very rewarding when it clicks. The physics are very good but a bit abstract given you're not exactly working with normal building materials. There is a bit of 'un-learning' required to wrap your brain around it. Once that happens things behave exactly as you'd expect them to.

dLMN8R

The game is simple physics. If you don't want a tower to topple over, build supports. If the tower is falling to the left, build supports on the left to stop it from falling and add weight on the right to counter-balance it.

None of the levels I've encountered have been remotely frustrating. Some difficult, a couple I had to restart, but never frustrating.

Now, shooting for OCD scores is an entirely different story.....

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I have to join in on the love fest! <3 World of Goo. It's the best WiiWare game as of right now.

Antagon

ratcliffja said:
That's the thing. Building towers just doesn't feel right. I can't get them more than about 5 stories high before it all collapses. I really should have just downloaded the new Strong Bad episode instead.

The basis for building a strong tower is the same as for basically any physics based puzzle game: Triangles. It's pretty much the strongest thing you can make.

And I haven't had a lot of trouble yet. The wind mill level was tricky, but quite doable. And I've only build one construction before that ended up different then planned (because the thing I tried first collapsed.

dLMN8R said:
The game is simple physics. If you don't want a tower to topple over, build supports. If the tower is falling to the left, build supports on the left to stop it from falling and add weight on the right to counter-balance it.

None of the levels I've encountered have been remotely frustrating. Some difficult, a couple I had to restart, but never frustrating.

Now, shooting for OCD scores is an entirely different story.....

I now realize that OCD scores are the real way to play the game.

Kevtones

Cleaned out the fridge and got it.

Really impressed. This title is incredibly polished and fun. The music is fantastic. Love the presentation.

World of Goo rocks :D

Cheez-It

permutated said:
OSX. I'm still vying for a copy of XP whenever a certain GAFFER obtains a copy to send me.

You can buy the PC version and it works fine in VMWare or Wine... And when the native Mac/Linux ports arrive, you have access to these as well.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
ProfessorLobo said:
What the hell is with all these people claiming it's hard. It's easier than hell so far. I wanted more difficulty out of it.
Thanks for making me feel completely dumb...I spent like an hour and thirty minutes trying to figure out one. :lol

raviolico

ProfessorLobo said:
What the hell is with all these people claiming it's hard. It's easier than hell so far. I wanted more difficulty out of it.

wut? come one... maybe you are a freakin` gaming god.

or i`m too old. or too stupid, or to impatient. or all of these mixed together. :lol

Akia

If I buy direct from 2DBoy could I then activate the game on Steam? I don't mean adding it as a program on Steam.

Cheez-It

mitheor said:
No, you cant.

I don't know what the case is for people buying it now, but anyone who pre-ordered can activate it on steam within a week... So I would imagine the same would be true for people who buy it now, but I'm not positive...

The valve guys say they will be able to transfer keys within a week. I'll post about it when we know more.

Top Bottom