• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Tanks |OT| Big guns and penetration

No Love

Banned
Damn shame this thread isn't more popular. World of Tanks is sooo good. More people need to try it out. And it's even better with friends.

dracula_x

WoT branded airliner – http://euroradio.fm/en/wargaming-paints-belavia-plane

UA39dCP.jpg

Ooh, there's a WoT thread!

Dolph was promoting Wargaming's new place at Arsenalen tank museum, I believe. Legend.

Anyone doing the Winter Festival Stuff? I am already tier 9, it is pretty easy to get that far. For tier 10 you'll need all tier 5 ornaments, so the alchemy mechanic must be used.

It is nice to have a mission where you don't have to be playing 24/7 to get the top prize.

And it is nice that the rewards are discounts for the Swedish TD line, and 4 Swedish crew members (women).

Aaand now I noticed that this thing is pretty much dead... Too bad, game is quite fun and you can play it for free. Money helps, but if you can stomach the grind it's not bad. And the new exp accelerators that you get from about everything really help too.

I started this back in 2011, have been taking long breaks from time to time.

Would be nice to keep this alive, if there's anyone still playing...

Ephidel

Hey folks. I have a couple of World of Tanks codes that were originally given away in Playstation Official Magazine UK a while ago.
They expire at the end of December and it says UK residents only in the terms and conditions but I don't know if that's enforced.

They're in email tags at the end of this message, so if you want one and you're eligible then feel free to help yourself. Alternatively, if they're garbage feel free to ignore them :)

Receive a PzKpfw 38H 735 (f) tank, one garage slot and three days of Premium Account access in the PS4 multiplayer smash-hit.
How to redeem your code:
1. Go to http://console.worldoftanks.com/
2. Log in with your credentials at the top right side of page
3. Once logged in, click on your account name and then select "redeem bonus code"
4. Enter the code in the pop-up box (limit of one per account)

Codes:

Nikodemos

Does anybody play Blitz? It has a Windows version, found on the Store.

I kinda like the lack of artillery and the more streamlined design.

Nikodemos

Having to carry your team in a Medium I is... painful.

Needless to say, it was a loss.

Good thing the Medium I has good credit ratio, in Blitz at least.

Shengar

Man, this thread is deader than a slug in a salt mine.

Anyway, the French line is out on Blitz.

The game is widely popular on Asia and Europe, but looks like that was not the case with NA. Or maybe it just the majority of Gaf aren't part of its audience.

Damn shame though, because tanks are cool and World of Tanks deliver on that front.

When I was a kid growing up - long, long before video games were conceived in any form outside a lab - we used to talk to our dads and granddads about "the war" and had HO scale Airfix model tanks and planes and soldiers we'd play with in the sand lots and alleys and parent's family rooms in winter... I always loved tanks; the brutish, clanking, hulking, terrible mechanical beauty of them, so when I first heard about WoT I jumped on board... I did the open beta and over the past six years have logged 50,000+ battles in the game. It's really all I've played save a couple run throughs of MGSIV and The Last of Us in years... I save huge amounts of money because it's practically the only gaming I pursue regularly anymore, so rather than spending a few hundred a month on games and systems and whatever, I might throw Wargaming $200 in a year... and my obsession with it just keeps on keeping on... Occasionally I'll think, "there's no end game to this... why bother? I should play something else..." but a couple days later I'm back in for a handful of battles... I just love it...

It's not a casual friendly game though, and the learning curve - though easier than it was five years ago - can still be pretty brutal... unlike most games, it gets harder to be useful to your team as you advance in tiers, because bigger badder tanks face bigger badder tanks with better drivers! So a new kid who buys the biggest, baddest tank in the store is going to be lunch meat to players with 20,000 games under their belt driving a vehicle two tiers lower on the tech tree... And the three tier spread means that once your out of the beginner levels, you habitually face tanks two tiers better than yours, again with much better drivers and crews and equipment; you definitely have to persist to succeed in this game...

But ya, if you love tanks, this is the only game in town, and it's a damned good one.

Nikodemos

The game is widely popular on Asia and Europe, but looks like that was not the case with NA. Or maybe it just the majority of Gaf aren't part of its audience.

Damn shame though, because tanks are cool and World of Tanks deliver on that front.
I guess it's part of the cultural differences. Europeans and Asians are more accustomed to playing short burst-type games like MOBAs, whereas Americans tend to gravitate more towards MMOs and (longer duration) multiplayer shooters. It's not like Wargaming didn't try though. In Blitz, at least, they either gave away or offered steep discounts for a lot of lower tier premium vehicles.

On my end, I've finally started peeking into tier 4. Man, those vehicles are crazy expensive. I've only bought two and I've already spent 600k credits to fit them out. And I still have to grind their modules.

Good thing there are fewer modules in Blitz compared to the PC version.

Wonder how popular the game still is. Lots of players, but it seems a few years back it was in the news all the time and now I hear little about it.

Just tried a few games again tonight. Bought a Covenanter, wanting to continue on the UK tech tree. See how far I come, progress is slow when I die in most games.

Been a long time since I played last and the whole crew and mission stuff seems new to me. Maybe it was there last time but I didn't notice.

CoolOff

I feel like the arty re-work coming soon is really critical when it comes to the medium to long term health of the game. If it makes things better I can really see the game getting a resurgence.

Just saw a trailer, looks really good.

In the mean time, anyone got tips to increase XP? I need 15.000 for the next tank. 13.000 to go. Just grinding for a week or are there better ways (outside of buying)?

Well, there's the 5x exp event going on right now, at least on the EU servers...

Then you should have some +200% experience scrolls or whatever, those are often given from missions and stuff.

If you use the exp scrolls and you get a good first win of the day with a tank (5x exp) you'll get easily like 8k-10k.

I did it thrice yesterday, then all the bots woke up and I ended with abysmal teams for the rest of the day... There was luckily always at least one or two great team mates so those matches weren't that bad. Just the exp was not so great.

I am grinding hard the US and GER light lines, it's Leo 1 month now so you get those tanks cheaper than normal and 1.5X the crew exp for every match. Great time to get some tanks!

I did the Pilot marathon and got the tier VIII Premium tank for free, I'm happy!

I am really waiting for the new patch, arty changes seem great and hopefully will make this game interesting again. Blast radius is a tad high now, as is the stun duration, if WG lowers those two then the arty will be great and balanced. And doing the job they should, supporting the front lines.

I loved arty when this game was young, then they nerfed them to death. It is no fun to play 5 games without a single hit and then hit with a one shot kill... And I have German high tier arty and they should be more accurate!

Lower damage, little more accurate and faster ROF is just the thing the arty needed, IMO.

There is thousands of players every day on the EU servers, the game is still very much alive.

Anton668

World of Tanks Introduces 30v30 Frontline Game Mode

This new mode will feature 30v30 tank battles that are spread across 9 km2 battlefields. One team will be on the assault while their opponent is tasked with defending their territory. The action will play out across several rounds, with battles spreading deeper behind defensive lines until a winner is decided.

Next Stop: Frontline

Frontline is going to be 30v30, with five-man-strong Platoons, all fighting in Tier X vehicles (medium/heavy tanks, TDs and arty) and Tier VIII light tanks. The latter is a temporary restriction caused by the technical nuances of testing. Eventually, the mode will switch to Tier X vehicles of all classes.

Kymbo

Do you guys have any tips, gonna hop on for the first time this evening.
Also does it support 21.9 monitors.
I've been looking for a more slower paced game and this looks like it could fill the void.

I've been looking for a more slower paced game and this looks like it could fill the void.
Take your time, don't rush to the front lines. Follow the pack of friendly tanks and see what they do. Stay in cover. Play in a windowless border, so when you get killed alt-tabbing out and checking GAF while waiting is easier.

CoolOff

It takes at least 100 games per map to get a good feel for it.

You will see steady growth in your playing ability well into several thousand games, I started plateauing at around 8-9k.

Basically, it can all be a bit overwhelming at first and it will take time. It actually is a very complex game when you start accounting for vision and armor systems.

Kymbo

Thanks for the info, there seems to be a lot to take onboard at the moment.
Enjoying it a lot so far though. Will check out some guides as i'm still a bit confused with the xp, exchanges, conversions and all the other bits and bobs.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gave up on this game due to the p2w aspect of high tier battles and the insane grinding required but I still miss it sometimes D:
Might try it again once the tier x lights are out

Kymbo

I'm finding it a bit overwhelming guys, i was sat for ages this evening trying to figure out what tank to buy ( I've not purchased one yet ).
Can anyone suggest a decent youtube guide to the basics or some basic tips on tank choice, crew skills, modules etc...
Honestly i wasn't expecting this level of depth, but I enjoy the combat so any help would be appreciated.

CoolOff

I'm finding it a bit overwhelming guys, i was sat for ages this evening trying to figure out what tank to buy ( I've not purchased one yet ).
Can anyone suggest a decent youtube guide to the basics or some basic tips on tank choice, crew skills, modules etc...
Honestly i wasn't expecting this level of depth, but I enjoy the combat so any help would be appreciated.

Even though it in some ways is outdated, a lot of it is still so valid that I'd recommend these 2 from Jingles for combat mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0znHSeDMU

I'll try and get back to you for a more broad tutorial if I find a good one. Videos there do get outdated slightly faster since they've redone the UI a few times.

Edit: This series is pretty recent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDC15pwuKg

Anton668

World of Tanks North America - Tutorials and Guides

World of Tanks. Explaining Mechanics - Camouflage

House Havoc - World of Tanks University Guides

world of tanks Newcomers' Forum

And.... aside from Havoc, watch Jingles and QuickyBaby vids

also, QuickyBaby- Everyone Starts as a Noob

Newest patch is up since yesterday, and it made this game so much better. MM is a joy now, arty feels useful again...

Too bad preformance sucked yesterday. Apparently they restarted servers and it should be better now.

Get in guys, WoT is king again (until I lose my temper with the damn Eastern Europeans again)!

Of course the patch has been up in the US server for a week already I believe...

Personal missions will earn you so much money at later missions, I'm doing the third set and got 4 million in 2 days just by playing the game. I don't use premium or anything...

Got myself a tank or two with that money, rest I'll save so I can get some higher tier tanks when they have sales for them again.

Seriously, this patch saved the game for me. So much good in it.

The new mode, Frontlines, that they are testing seems awesome, it is almost like Battlefield's Conquest. I would love a game mode like that.

They also have ranked battles in the test server, haven't followed that so don't know any details about that.

Now, let's hope that Wargaming can keep up the good work without doing something stupid and/or disgusting like they tend to...

Top Bottom