• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

Bullet Club

Players are mistaking WoW Classic features for bugs

WoW Classic 'invokes different memories for different players', Blizzard says.

World of Warcraft Classic's closed beta is now live, and it's not quite how some players remember it being back in 2006. Blizzard has put out a list of 13 features that players are erroneously flagging as bugs, from movement speed changes to missing icons on the minimap—all are "working as we expect".

"The nature of WoW Classic sometimes invokes different memories for different players, and this leads to certain misconceptions for some about what is or isn’t working as intended," Blizzard said in a blog post.

The developer has even deliberately reproduced some inconsistencies from WoW 1.12, such as NPCs that offer multiple quests displaying them either as a dot or a exclamation mark in your quest list. "They were inconsistent in 1.12, and we’ve reproduced the exact inconsistency they had back then," Blizzard said.

Creature respawn rates are much slower than in Battle for Azeroth, Blizzard said, and feared players and NPCs run fast—both are working as planned.

Icons are one of the main points of contention: WoW Classic does not display an exclamation mark for available quests on the minimap, and quests that are too low level do not show up as an exclamation mark in the game world. Players have flagged both.

My favorite reported feature is that "standing on top of other players while facing away allows spells and attacks to be used"—I love that players are digging into every detail of the game.

Read the full list here.

Source: PC Gamer

Yeah, I guess so. As someone who doesn't normally watch streamers it's weird to me that people would usually watch anyone play games who can't play them well. Maybe I'm just out of touch in that sense. The only streams I'd normally watch are speedrunners, so I'm used to them being basement dwellers but incredible at games.

It depends, streamers have their various things that are their schtick. Some can depend on personality, some can depend on clout, some can depend on their body (not necessarily sexually even), some can depend on their community organizing skills, some depend on their abilities, some leech of other streamers/friends, some depend on covering a niche that others aren't, etc. There are so many different ways for either the streamer and/or the content/approach to content to market themselves to an audience.
Like to me, Sodapoppin is currently the most interesting Classic streamer atm. I think Sodapoppin is legit enough. He just fucks himself over at times, which I think works great for a streamer and even more considering his personality. Only streamer I've enjoyed seeing questing or PvP'ing. It might also be because he's playing a druid and that's what he enjoys. Seeing him spend an hour ganking a level 20 was just glorious. Seeing get pissy during a helmet that dropped that a rogue needed on and won "for the stamina". Seeing his group with Tipsout get totally wrecked against Verdan in WC. Seeing him freak out writing in all caps, barely legible. Definitely not the most efficient leveler. This is what true Classic WoW is. That said, I haven't checked out everyone and there might be a non-"famous" streamer that can be better.

Also, lol @ people not remembering classic correctly, though that's to be expected with all this time having passed and that's without considering those who've been mislead thanks to playing on private servers.

The Swifty one hurt.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Players are mistaking WoW Classic features for bugs

The worst part is it's not just people who never played vanilla, or haven't played it since 2006 - that's forgivable. But the amount of people I've seen claiming that stuff is wrong because it's different from private servers is hilarious.

The Swifty one hurt.

Nope, I changed my mind, it's unforgivable. This was hard to watch. But not as hard as this:

Helios

The worst part is it's not just people who never played vanilla, or haven't played it since 2006 - that's forgivable. But the amount of people I've seen claiming that stuff is wrong because it's different from private servers is hilarious.

Nope, I changed my mind, it's unforgivable. This was hard to watch. But not as hard as this:

I don't have the clip but there was a guy that reported the starting boots because they had no stats. I actually do have the clip but I can't link it beause neogaf automatically links it directly to his channel instead of the clip.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I should check my emails more often. Apparently I had an invite to Classic.

Played it from the time I finished downloading it (around midnight) until a few minutes ago. The game is just as addicting as it was back then. Still not looking forward to the terrible balancing of end-game and level 50-60, but so far it is so much fun.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I should check my emails more often. Apparently I had an invite to Classic.

Motherfucker. Consider me jealous. I'm hoping as they roll more and more invites out I'll get one, my account goes back to 2006 (I had an older one I can't recover) and played through half the expansions. blizz pls

What did you end up rolling for beta?

Hinedorf

Banned
The best thing about Vanilla WOW was BRS and BRD. They gave the game this initial endpoint literally all parties end up at while still remaining unique for each class.

Getting the Druid Wildheart set felt like such an accomplishment when you'd run a dungeon so many times and be the lucky one to have your gear finally drop. And then going from Wildheart to Cenarion was another grand task.

You could generally separate the better players just by the purple gear they wore and with their being only 1 set for each class it gave you a sense of knowing right off the bat.

Having mastered this adventure already once upon a time I have more interest in new horizons. I think folks will give it about a month before it becomes a ghost town.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Motherfucker. Consider me jealous. I'm hoping as they roll more and more invites out I'll get one, my account goes back to 2006 (I had an older one I can't recover) and played through half the expansions. blizz pls

What did you end up rolling for beta?

Paladin. Only thing I ever played in WoW. Had a few alts here and there, but I was almost entirely Paladin up until Legion.

Reactions: AV

Helios

We’ll be performing our first stress test for WoW Classic on Wednesday, May 22, from 4–6pm PDT. During this time, the closed beta test realm will be unavailable. Those who are currently in the beta test will only be able to login to the stress test realm during this time and beta testers can participate using their existing installation. We’ll also be adding a significant number of players to the stress test from the pool of people who have already opted in for the beta but have not yet been selected.

Since the same client is used for both our stress test users and our normal beta users, the name in the Battle.net App has changed to “Beta & Stress Test: WoW Classic . ” If you’ve been selected to participate in the stress test, you’ll see this option appear in the Region/Account drop down menu so you can download and install the WoW Classic client in advance, but you’ll only be able to see the stress test realm when it becomes available.

For the stress test, all races and classes will be available for creation, but the maximum level will be set to 5. The test will also take place on a PvP realm, but since the starting areas are sanctuaries you don’t need to worry about attacks from the other faction if you just want to level up to 5. We expect to put a lot of people in the starting zones, though, and we’re looking forward to seeing what you all do as we test the servers under crowded conditions.

We’ll be actively monitoring the server, sending server messages, etc. during the 4-6pm PDT period and it’s important to have as many people as possible log in during this window! The stress test realm itself will be available until Thursday, May 23 (becoming unavailable around 6:00pm PDT).

If you encounter any issues during the test, you can submit them through the bug reporting tool in-game. If there are any aspects you’d like to discuss, feel free to post in the Classic Discussion forum.

Performing tests like these are very important in contributing to a smooth launch on August 27 and we appreciate your support.

One thing I think is a big misconception is which is more casual, classic or retail WoW. In some ways modern is but classic is way more respectful to players time and could be argued more casual in other areas. Yes it takes some time to lvl but as someone who lvl'd 3 toons to 60 in classic it's not that bad.

Other than the Thorium Brotherhood all of the reps in classic are completely optional. Even then if you have guildies who are exalted with the professions for plans then you aren't required to be exalted.

Modern retail is an endless rep grind where if you take some time off for whatever and miss emmissary quests it can really slow you down and considering flying is tied into multiple reps it's essential to complete. With most of the pathfinder achievements taking months to complete.

The thing that will be interesting is how WoW classic will hold up end game, MC and BWL are a known quantity. If people are slamming through those instances in the first week then it could get old quick for some.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Naxx but the only reason Naxx was so hard was because AQ40 loot was trash and it was a terrible stop gap raid in getting geared for Naxx.

AV

In case anyone missed it over the weekend, there was a massive 100 v 100 battle in the Arathi Highlands. What started as a small group of people just looking to mess with fellow streamers, ended as all-out faction war. It was glorious. Here's a highlight reel.

In case anyone missed it over the weekend, there was a massive 100 v 100 battle in the Arathi Highlands. What started as a small group of people just looking to mess with fellow streamers, ended as all-out faction war. It was glorious. Here's a highlight reel.

It was great to watch :) the 100v100 is full of shit though, horde had overwhelming numbers but it was fucking amazing to watch

Reactions: AV

Elcid

Banned
what we used to do, and it's pretty fucked up

me and another priest would mc someone off the boat, give them levitate, then move them to the old world spawn

basically a 15 minute walk to the corpse, and then another 15 minute swim back to land

and then we'd do it again

and again

and again

until they called for back up or quit

tenor.gif
You're a real piece of shit. I personally never gank people, I would only PVP avenge. To me, that's someone's freetime which may be very limited!
Do we have an actual release date yet?!

Tesseract

Banned
You're a real piece of shit. I personally never gank people, I would only PVP avenge. To me, that's someone's freetime which may be very limited!
Do we have an actual release date yet?!

it's all part of the fun my dude, the freetime argument sucks ... it's a pvp server

do you think it's honor keeping the peace? someone talk some sense into this honorable fool!

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

I'm always torn on beta situations. On one hand I'd love to get in and play, and have done so on a few MMOs in the past. On the other hand, I hate it when the beta ends and the wait (albeit a short one in this case) begins to where I'll be able to play again. That said, I didn't bother to sign up/apply for this one; I'll wait until August, but I must say, I'm glad to see the positive response from those who have gotten to play it, both on here and in some vids on Youtube. Really looking forward to living the days of classic WoW again.

AV

I'M IN BABY! I just had 4 days off work and the day I'm back I'm fucking IN!

You in the beta or the stress test? Bear in mind the stress test is running for like a day and you can only get to level 5, it's just to push the servers and see what happens.

Didn't get an email, but I'm in the stress test according to my launcher. Midnight for UK people in the middle of the week, great... guess who's going to be very sleepy at work tomorrow...

BunzLee

So, apparently I've got an invite today. Everything looks legit, I'm just mildly skeptic because the mail I got was in english and I usually play on EU german. There's no sketchy links in there... Hmm. Guess I'll have to find out when I get back home later.

Ellery

Ah the sweet magical feeling of when I first played it more than 14 years ago. It was something I never experienced before and I have many fond memories of this game.

Not sure yet if I will jump into it, because I genuinely experienced every single dungeon, raid and raidboss this game had to offer in classic and I played so much that my grades in school took a hit.

PS : Don't pick paladin. Buffing every 5 minutes is a huge pain.

BunzLee

Ah the sweet magical feeling of when I first played it more than 14 years ago. It was something I never experienced before and I have many fond memories of this game.

Not sure yet if I will jump into it, because I genuinely experienced every single dungeon, raid and raidboss this game had to offer in classic and I played so much that my grades in school took a hit.

PS : Don't pick paladin. Buffing every 5 minutes is a huge pain.

Classic's current state should be the patch where Paladins can already buff the whole raid for 15 minutes. But still, don't pick Paladin.

It seems to be stress test only, fucking gutted :'(

Classic's current state should be the patch where Paladins can already buff the whole raid for 15 minutes. But still, don't pick Paladin.

yes it is the one with 15 minute buffs but it ends up costing a arm and a leg by the end of the night due to reagents lol

Last edited:

AV

It seems to be stress test only, fucking gutted :'(

Hey, you've got 24 hours to get every class to level 5, or get fishing to 75, or maybe see how far across the world with a level 1 character. Set your goals man. Then come cry with me in the corner when it's all over.

Ellery

Ah sweet I didn't look much into what classic is actually going to look like with the re-release, back in the day I just specced into 15 minutes Blessing of Salvation haha. Still was extremely annoying

I would probably just play a dwarf priest or so !

BunzLee

Can you tell by the mail you've got what kind of Beta you're in? My mail doesn't mention any date or time limits. I have also just checked and since I can access the Beta forums, I assume my invite is legit.

That said, as far as I'm aware, "the new" Classic will be based off of Patch 1.12 or something like that. They have already added a few minor QOL fixes, but people will learn the hard way how much inconvenient Classic used to be back then. :messenger_grimmacing_

Hey, you've got 24 hours to get every class to level 5, or get fishing to 75, or maybe see how far across the world with a level 1 character. Set your goals man. Then come cry with me in the corner when it's all over.
get my undead warlock "Trangoul" to 5 then go and unlock as many flight paths as possible lol, fishing sounds good :)

Can you tell by the mail you've got what kind of Beta you're in? My mail doesn't mention any date or time limits. I have also just checked and since I can access the Beta forums, I assume my invite is legit.

That said, as far as I'm aware, "the new" Classic will be based off of Patch 1.12 or something like that. They have already added a few minor QOL fixes, but people will learn the hard way how much inconvenient Classic used to be back then. :messenger_grimmacing_

When you log on you get a "stress test server" and it's offline until 11pm (uk) even though it says "Beta and Stress test" on your launcher, unfortunately you will not know until you log on.
I've had 0 emails.

As for the talk of Paladins they are fantastic fun at 60 specially if your guild is up for fun because tanking as a pally can be such good fun, but you need a DPS team that can burn everything out because once your mana is dry, threat is going to start going fast (raid tanking is out the question)
I used to grind the fields in Western plaguelands with my prot Pally, you could pull the entire field and kill them all in about 40-50 seconds then move onto the next field, I got reported so many times for been a bot :) it was just relaxing, rune cloth for fucking days!

Edit: not fair man I need in, Yes I can play on lightshope etc but it's not the same.
Edit Edit: The annoying part is now though to check if i've got in the legit beta I will have to log in now to check servers :'(

Last edited:

AV

I didn't even get mail, but if you got in today I'd bet it's just for the stress test - starts in 10hr 38m and runs for 24 hours. Level 5 cap. You might be best opening up the Classic client and checking what server you have access to, it should say Stress Test and you won't be able to get on the main one which is still up.

Yep, 1.12 data stuffed into the modern client, so very little has been added in the way of QoL. Stuff like modern raid frames, autolooting mail, things like that. You can also crank up the graphical sliders and play in modern resolutions, framerates, etc, but the old models/animations are still there.

Helios

Stress Test realm is up. Be aware that there is a somewhat sizable queue. Unfortunately no invite for me. :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

AV

Nah, I gave it half an hour, I'm out, it's half midnight here.

Snipped from a stream, super busy, mad lag when people were all stood together but hey, this is what stress tests are for.

N7QZKCV.png

Helios

Went on to the subreddit and my god are there some salty people there :messenger_tears_of_joy: . They are also making conspiracy theories on who had priority.

I just checked. I had a beta invite too. They always send me beta invites for every game. Never use them. Meh. Been there done that. If I was going to commit to the vanilla/classic grind again, I'd want it to be on finished/released servers. Beta progress will get wiped, fuck that.

Helios

They spawned Onyxia/Cthun and Hogger in the starting areas. Than Omar showed up in northshire and flew away. He also killed Asmon before leaving

Tesseract

Banned
You do realize that this is the entire point of a beta, right? To test things and make a smooth final product? This isn't a demo.

a stress of a beta of an established product that's been cut down to its basics with nearly 20 years of network programming behind it

:/

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
a stress of a beta of an established product that's been cut down to its basics with nearly 20 years of network programming behind it

:/

Not quite. There are a myriad of differences in the code compared to the original. Plus trying to ensure it works across the current operating systems and correctly allocating the required server resources and testing the new layering features... really isn't as easy as you make it seem.

Tesseract

Banned
Not quite. There are a myriad of differences in the code compared to the original. Plus trying to ensure it works across the current operating systems and correctly allocating the required server resources and testing the new layering features... really isn't as easy as you make it seem.

eh, agree to disagree i guess, i worked on the netcode for various games so maybe i'm a bit boneheaded about established code i haven't touched

BunzLee

So apparently I got into the regular beta, as I had access to the regular beta servers. So far I've managed to level to 5 and I'm now about to leave the starting zone for Sen'jin. No queue or lag for me so far, even though I'm on a full server. The game sure feels a lot like classic, I wasn't even able to buy all the skills I could because I'm a hunter and they're always broke at the beginning. :messenger_grimmacing_

I'm still not sure Classic will be a long term thing for me, but so far I think they're doing a great job, at least from what I've experienced.

AV

I just checked. I had a beta invite too. They always send me beta invites for every game. Never use them. Meh.

Why did you check the box to sign up for Classic beta then? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So, is the classic beta using a separate client or is it rolled into retail? Also, is it the modern engine being made to mimic the old one or something else entirely? Mostly asking because I'd rather not deal with a 50GB download when I'm only going to be playing a 5GB game. =p

Top Bottom