• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Huh? Lvl 30 you have Berserker Stance, you can get Whirlwind Axe and at lvl 36 you get Whirlwind and you're also getting Mortal Strike at 40 (STV still relevant). You've also gotten a good deal of good gear if you do some dungeons and filled up most of your missing slots. I always felt the struggle as warrior was before lvl 30.

Yeah, the issue is that if you're a warrior in the first wave of players on the server, you will more than likely be the last class to even reach 30, other than maybe paladins. Meaning that as soon as you reach STV in your 30s, plenty of non-warriors on the enemy faction will already be there. Some enemy hunters and warlocks will probably already be level 50.

But, that's part of the warrior struggle. Hell on earth for a while and then you can melt faces later.

Hamstring kiting can probably get you near a rogue in leveling speed if not higher. Assuming you have the space and not drag in other mobs. Although it only works on certain mobs. Any mob with ranged abilities or snare/root will ruin that strategy.

I'd imagine most dedicated warriors will have a support system(premade guilds or sites like this one) to help them along the way. The average "going in blind" warrior will have a bad time.

The pre-raid bis will be a bigger problem for those unwilling to tank. Not many groups will take a dps only warrior. Considering most of those tanks will only be dps warriors. Why have competition for your gear when they're not really of much use besides mediocre dps?

Moral of the post:

If you're wanting to be a dps warriors in raids, you better be willing to tank those high level dungeons.

So I broke down and bought BFA, last xpac I played was Pandaria. (Which is a super underrated xpac imo)

Anyways I'm going through broken isles, and hoo boy. I did not know about the pathfinder achievo for draenor and legion flying.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
*purely unconfirmed speculation*

AV

One streamer retweeting another streamer who's commenting on a third streamer's stream.

Ca2QfQe.png

Classic beta news incoming tomorrow it seems. Whether that will be a date, signups, release, who knows.

Edit: a fourth big streamer in the Classic WoW community, StaySafeTV, just tweeted something similar. It's happening baby.

FYI the timer is counting down to 8am PST, 4pm BST, whatever it is in your zone.

Last edited:

Helios

WORLD OF WARCRAFT CLASSIC RELEASES AUGUST 27th 2019

aXmXiJSXd-ObDmcxRbPhRCdc3BoZZP0oHluYhmPKqXE.jpg

CLOSED BETA STARTS TOMORROW

GET HYPE BOYS WE'RE GOING HOME
Quite early. I was expecting it to be later this year based on how the Blizzcon beta looked. I hope they're not rushing things.

Also don't forget to update your beta profile settings if you want a chance to get in.

Last edited:
I was expecting mid August. Make you sure have your beta option for wow checked btw in your account settings.

Although, I'd imagine it will be the streamers who mainly get them.

Last edited:

AV

Info dump incoming!

Release by region:
RVPR1QJFYYFY1557841233466.jpg

Collector's Edition:
xhBE3qG.jpg

Beta info:

Beginning May 15, select WoW players will be invited to participate in a small-scale, focused closed beta test. Players will also get a chance to help put our servers and technology through their paces in a series of stress tests running from May through July—you can opt in now through Account Management 58 and select the WoW Classic beta. Subsequent stress tests will extend the opportunity to even more players. Level caps will also be in place to ensure we’re emphasizing the “stress” in “stress test”—we want to push our tech to the limit, and that means a critical mass of players in close proximity.

Stress Test Schedule*
  • Stress Test 1: Wed May 22–Thurs May 23
  • Stress Test 2: Wed Jun 19– Thurs Jun 20
  • Stress Test 3: Thurs Jul 18– Fri July 19
*Dates of each stress test are subject to change.

To fill our pool of beta and stress test participants, we’ll be choosing dedicated players who meet select criteria from both the WoW Classic beta opt-in and the standard Warcraft beta opt-in. Participants will also need to have an active subscription or active game time on their Battle.net 3 Account. While opting-in to the beta is the primary way to make sure you’re in the running to join the test it doesn’t guarantee an invitation to the closed beta test. We may also consider additional factors such as how long a player has been subscribed to the game so that we have the right mix of players to ensure great feedback toward making WoW Classic the very best experience for the community.

------

So very, very excited right now. I'm probably not going to be resubscribing for only a chance at beta access, but I've booked launch week off work and pre-ordered my collector's edition. Let's fuckin' go.

A whole bunch of streamers that were invited to play the game for a few hours in Irvine have a ton of videos going up, can't possibly link them all, but there's small tidbits of info everywhere.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That statue is beyond awesome. If it is hefty like the emblem that came with BFA - I will be very happy. Either way it is ordered. Hyped!

AV

It hurts knowing I'll not get in the beta because I dont have a minimum of 200 viewers per stream :'(

The streamers are already playing the beta - invites to non-streamers are going out soon to normal WoW subscribers. I'd be fascinated to see how many people re-upped just for the chance of a beta invite.

There's rumblings that Blizzard are taking into account how long an account has existed for / how many months worth of subs they've bought in the past, so fingers crossed!

The streamers are already playing the beta - invites to non-streamers are going out soon to normal WoW subscribers. I'd be fascinated to see how many people re-upped just for the chance of a beta invite.

There's rumblings that Blizzard are taking into account how long an account has existed for / how many months worth of subs they've bought in the past, so fingers crossed!
Personally I think they really should be aiming at people who maybe left a fair few expansions ago to try and real them back in.

so, no LAN multiplayer. Only Online?

Last edited:

AV

Personally I think they really should be aiming at people who maybe left a fair few expansions ago to try and real them back in.
Would certainly be nice if they thew us a bone for being long-time fans. FYI you can check when your earliest WoW subscription was here:

Mine's only March 2006 as I had a first account that I cannot for the life of me remember the address for. Shame.

so, no LAN multiplayer. Only Online?

It's uhhh, an MMO. Online only, yeah. No reason you can't still play with people in the same room though!

AV

Low poly.
Though there are still plenty of graphical options, if you look at some of the beta footage that came out yesterday you can crank things like foliage and shadows way up past where they were in vanilla.

Onikaan

I'd like to get in for a look around before August. I started playing early '06 so hopefully they'll give me an invite for being a grizzled ancient.

Though there are still plenty of graphical options, if you look at some of the beta footage that came out yesterday you can crank things like foliage and shadows way up past where they were in vanilla.

I meant the character models sorry not the overall world, the overall world has new water shadows extra foliage (which looks odd) if you choose to have them (water looks ass I'm going with original)

AV

I meant the character models sorry not the overall world, the overall world has new water shadows extra foliage (which looks odd) if you choose to have them (water looks ass I'm going with original)
I'm undecided at the moment, will wait and see when I get into either beta or release. I've tinkered with some privates and am absolutely fine with 2004 graphics - especially since the new client will support widescreen 165hz. HNNNNG

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I want to play classic, but I also want df, transmog and mount and pet collector. Meh

AV

LAYERING EXPLAINED

I'm exhausted from explaining this shit on the Classic WoW subreddit, so I'm putting this here now for anyone that doesn't quite understand what it is and why they're doing it. Numbers may be off but they illustrate what I'm trying to say.

Vanilla WoW servers held ~3k people. This was not a design decision; they simply did not have the technology to make it higher. Classic servers will have a much higher population cap, let's say 12,000, but for the first few weeks, these servers will contain layers. A layer is an instance of the whole game world that contains around as many people as an original vanilla server. Over the weeks after launch, after the initial surge is over, the people who got a taste and didn't like it have quit, and the players who are sticking around have spread out beyond the starting zones, they will gradually reduce the number of layers and increase the number of people on each, until the population has settled, and there's only one layer per server.

In retail, they've used sharding previously. Ignore any fucking dumbass who says "layering is just sharding renamed", they don't understand it and they're just fearmongering. Sharding is cross-realm and zone specific with a much lower player count. It's shit, they know it's shit, and it's one of the main reasons they've come up with layering instead.

Now, back to layers. Layers are not fixed. You log in and are assigned a layer at the time. You do not need to worry about not being able to see your friends, if you join their group and you're not already on their layer, you will move to it. Guilds will be on the same layer. Because each layer will be the size of a vanilla server, it's not going to be a big deal. So why are they doing it in the first place? Well, as mentioned above, people are going to try classic and then quit. They need to protect against that using a method that hasn't proven to be bad in the past. So, let's take a look.

Why not just have low population servers with no layers? A chunk of the player base leaves, and they will, suddenly you have a dead server with 500 people on and everyone else moves server or quits.

Why not just have high population servers with no layers? Imagine 300 people in a starting zone competing for a few mobs. Dumb, frustrating, but funny and a true launch experience. Now imagine 1200 people. Not funny, just unplayable for most people.

Why not just merge low pop servers or character transfers after a while? They've done this before and it's not good for the server. It fucks up raid teams, and thus guilds, and thus friendships. Server merges, suddenly player X from guild 1 wants to join hot new guild 2 who are better than guild 1, and so on. Bad.

Again, the main point is that this is temporary. The WoW GM has gone on record yesterday as saying that it'll be eliminated over the weeks after launch, absolutely before phase 2.

Last edited:

AV

So, anyone get in the beta? No luck here. I resubbed for a shot and to see what a few old guildies were up to. Turns out they don't raid anymore since it's so boring. Go figure!

I think the only people that got in the Beta were relevant streamers, I've been asking around and no one got in.. but every viable streamer did.. and they are only bumping into other streamers.

Edit: I'm gagging for it :(

Last edited:

Helios

Yeah, I think it's the usual blizzard beta where they only invite streamers/youtubers at first and than over time start sending out invites to other people. I watched a bit of Asmongold and the game seemed fine for the most part. Some things were off and I heard Esfand being annoyed by the spell batching.

AV

It's not just streamers currently, though it definitely feels like they're rolling access out slowly. This guy from the Classic sub said the following:

I got in, it's not just streamers. Also the new lighting, grass effects and other gfx look beautiful. I'm not a streamer, have no public social media identity. I have an active subscription, though I activated it just last month for the chance at beta. I never bought BFA. Haven't played seriously since Wrath. Was a launch subscriber 2004

And posted this:

Onikaan

Have to say I am absolutely ITCHING to get Into the beta. I raided in Vanilla so I'm hoping that'll help my cause for an invite.

Watched Asmongold run Deadmines last night and it was such a blast watching his team. So many memories.

August... 😥

Have to say I am absolutely ITCHING to get Into the beta. I raided in Vanilla so I'm hoping that'll help my cause for an invite.

Watched Asmongold run Deadmines last night and it was such a blast watching his team. So many memories.

August... 😥

Nah, watching Sodapoppin's group wipe in WC was the real blast from the past. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I thought about diving deep into the classic version of the game again long and hard...and man, I just can't do it. I'm one of those people that love the massive quality of life upgrades the game has dished out over the years. I love my flying mounts. I love my Dungeon finder. I love my LFR as I don't feel like I can concentrate on raids as much as I used to. Don't get me wrong. I love classic wow. I just don't want to ever play that version of it again. It's just not for me anymore. These are just my own thoughts and feelings, and they are pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

But to those going back to classic wow, have fun, enjoy the original version of the game to the fullest and please share stories of Gaffers hopefully getting firsts on every raid boss!

AV

Considering some of these streamers are supposed to be Classic enthusiasts, they're not very good. IIRC Tips fought Verdan with broken gear then reported a bug that he "hit way too hard". Esfand is alright but his ADHD gets annoying really quickly, they wasted so much time because he was reading chat rather than paying attention to the game. Staysafe is his own brand of sperg.

But watching Asmongold clear DM with over 100k viewers and get over $10,000 in subs at the end within minutes was pretty wild. He's never reached 100k streaming retail. Streaming usually isn't my thing at all but while I have no beta access I'm gonna dip into these guys' channels now and then.

Where'd he wipe? Last boss? I remember that one being a bitch to heal through.

Verdan the Everliving.

Considering some of these streamers are supposed to be Classic enthusiasts, they're not very good. IIRC Tips fought Verdan with broken gear then reported a bug that he "hit way too hard". Esfand is alright but his ADHD gets annoying really quickly, they wasted so much time because he was reading chat rather than paying attention to the game. Staysafe is his own brand of sperg.

Well, they're supposed to be best at streaming, not necessarily best at the game. Asmongold is probably the overall best, because he's the clear best at managing his community, with numerous community events and a sense of community. For entertainment he also has a lot of acting and scripted drama added and as a comedic prop. Not that good at the game though and his Deadmines run felt a bit boring, because they played it extremely safe. He also should've leveled solo.
Tips is just awful and bland, so I'm amazed anyone ever pays attention to him. Esfand is unremarkable, but he has that Ron Jeremy look and he does at least seem interested. I feel like he does better trying to avoid grouping with Asmongold, as his Paladin speed leveling attempt was interesting and he felt less like playing second fiddle. But I guess the benefits of streaming with Asmongold probably is too beneficial.
Then you have Sodapoppin, who's just Sodapoppin, and I would call him a good player, but he can also fuck up badly, especially trying to do too much or being ahead. He also seems uninterested, but it's clear he actually is interested, he's just a sperg. Gameplay wise I'd say he's the most interesting one, but he's not that great at community like Asmongold, who manages a sense of community around events.
Not watched a lot of Staysafe, but from what I've seen in the Classic Beta, he's got his own niche he's focusing on, with speed leveling a warlock, which is a good way to stand out.

Never watched any warcraft streamers before as I lost interest after lich king but I've been watching some recently because of classic :)

They are painful to watch, Asmongold has been the most entertaining for sure but.. worst tank ever.

Helios

Never watched any warcraft streamers before as I lost interest after lich king but I've been watching some recently because of classic :)

They are painful to watch, Asmongold has been the most entertaining for sure but.. worst tank ever.
Tipsoutbaby seems like a better alternative for me. Streams at EU-friendly hours and he's pretty good at Vanilla. Maybe not as entertaining as Asmon though.

Last edited:

AV

Well, they're supposed to be best at streaming, not necessarily best at the game.

Yeah, I guess so. As someone who doesn't normally watch streamers it's weird to me that people would usually watch anyone play games who can't play them well. Maybe I'm just out of touch in that sense. The only streams I'd normally watch are speedrunners, so I'm used to them being basement dwellers but incredible at games.

Tipsoutbaby is pretty good at Vanilla.

Lol did you miss an /s tag here?

Top Bottom