• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

V4skunk

Banned
I quit this game for ever after they stopped world ganking! Too many sjw types were crying about being killed on a pvp server. They ruined the game! City raiding is one of the greatest things I have ever experienced in gaming.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Have they clarified if the character models will be the low poly versions from that time period or will we be able to use closer to current models? It's going to be tough going back to those aged graphics.

This job listing was posted July last year: https://web.archive.org/web/20180704134343/https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/oYEO7fwh

Which implies that it will be the old models. But that's part of the appeal of classic to a lot of people. Obviously, the above does not mean that it's set in stone, they could decide it's unfeasible. Still, current WoW is hardly Uncharted 4. Cranking everything to overdrive on vanilla doesn't look too bad, and graphical quality should never stop you playing a good game.

I quit this game for ever after they stopped world ganking! Too many sjw types were crying about being killed on a pvp server. They ruined the game! City raiding is one of the greatest things I have ever experienced in gaming.

I'd argue that they'd already done significantly worse things to the game than War Mode, but yeah, seeing people whining so much about ganking on PvP servers even in 2018... some of those forum posts like "I feel violated" and "I'm scared to play" were hysterical.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Erm, while I agree with most of your post, this comment puzzles me.
MC is very basic and, bar Majordomo/final boss quite straightforward compared to what comes next, namely:
1) BWL
2) AQ40

And even 20 men like Zul'Gurub and AQ20 look much more challenging than MC/Onyxia (#moredots) to me

I never had an issue with pugging half a group for BWL, assuming the people were even decently geared. I will say that AQ40 and Naxx are the two raids of Vanilla that were near impossible to pug completely - though a good half of the bosses were definitely puggable. The Twins and C'thun in particular were utter hell.

Great response, thanks - I'm not going to quote it all to save space.

I was definitely a little hyperbolic in my "near impossible" stance - I think what I was trying to convey was that realistically, you would do a quest like that with at least one other person because it would save you a lot of time. I'm sure you know, with many mobs you'd have no choice but to pull a group of 3-4 and then run until a few of them peeled back. Rinse, repeat, eat, drink. The main point is that I did that and got into a group & conversation with a random gnome mage, which if I continued to play that server, may have blossomed into a game friendship. That hadn't happened to me in retail since probably WotLK.

We'll have to wait and see on the numbers front. I personally think people are going to be really surprised by the popularity, although yes, a lot of people will absolutely quit before level 20. I think while some people don't want to pay, there's going to be a whole crowd of other people (myself included) who have waited to pay Blizzard for an official classic server, rather than potentially wasting hundreds of hours on a private that will close down. It's super interesting to think how this might pan out one way or another.

And yeah, finally, I can definitely agree that vanilla had its flaws. But some of those flaws are what made it so endearing, even if some are simultaneously frustrating. The idea of having to go back to a major city to learn skills every 2 levels sounds tedious on paper, but after playing a private recently, I loved it - it forced me to actually move around the world more instead of just living zone-to-zone and rushing to endgame.

Classic is going to be at its most wild and fun in the first few weeks (the first 48 hours might be a little rough) when everyone is progressing together. I would absolutely suggest jumping in at the start - as far as I can tell it's only the subscription, there's no flat fee for the client. Even if you don't have the time to invest in playing a lot, leveling a character out in the world, progressing through that content, through dungeons, is a blast. Definitely give it a go, and if you get to level 15 and hate it, it's not too much time wasted.

That I agree with. Grouping makes things faster, but much of the content could be done solo if you wished - outside of elite quests which were pretty easy to find groups for, for the most part. I will say I would love for Classic to do well in one particular aspect: Its combat. I loved the unique little spells each class had that added flavour to them, as well as the more slow combat compared to the AoE-fest that leveling/questing seems to have become, though with the amount of "world content" that is dedicated to that style, it seems necessary. Maybe in the next expansion they could make some changes to that end.

llien

I never had an issue with pugging half a group for BWL, assuming the people were even decently geared
You mean people with blue gear?
Because I'm not sure where they'd get epics.

And if you mean those in purple, then:
1) It would be rather late into the game, close to BC launch
2) They would have quite a bit of raiding experience behind them

Too many sjw types were crying about being killed on a pvp server.
What does that have anything to do with Social Justice, FFS? (without diving into what "stopping world ganking" even means)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Classic Update - Official Forum Post
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/classic-content-plan/120346

At BlizzCon 2018, we proposed a plan to give Classic four content phases. These were planned to be centered primarily on raid power progression.

Currently, based on both your feedback and our own deliberations, we’re now planning to increase it to six phases. Our focus is still primarily on player power-progression, but we’re also aiming to capture what it felt like to play in a realm community in original WoW. To do that, we’re planning to mirror the approach taken by original WoW, with patches paired together. We’ll launch Classic with content from original WoW through patch 1.2.x, then the second update will include content that was in original WoW 1.3 and 1.4, the third Classic update will have 1.5 and 1.6 content, and so on.

Our first phase primarily focuses on launching Classic with Onyxia and Molten Core, but we’ve decided to hold off on Dire Maul for a while. Maraudon is still in the first phase, because it was originally released on December 18, 2004, just two weeks after the first player hit level 60, but we recognize that Dire Maul is in a different category. Some of the loot that’s attainable from Dire Maul is so good that it would affect progression through those early raids. We’re also planning to hold off on releasing Kazzak and Azuregos at launch as well, for the same reasons.

The next change we’re targeting addresses two concerns. First, Zul’Gurub and Blackwing Lair unlocking at the same time would differ from how they originally came out, and it makes sense to not have gear and enchants from Zul’Gurub available during early progress into Blackwing Lair. Secondly, the Emerald Dragons should be available earlier than the opening of Ahn’Qiraj, as they give us a way to start preparing nature resist gear for some of the encounters in AQ.

Along the way, we’ve taken a close look at items that provide the biggest power gains, many of which were introduced in 1.10 as part of a sweeping dungeon itemization pass. That patch was when Tier 0.5 gear was introduced, and Relics were added to the drop tables of many bosses. It also adjusted drop rates and drop locations of a lot of gear (to make room for the Relics). We’ve gone back and reconstructed many of the most heavily affected drop tables as they existed prior to the 1.10 patch, and we’re planning to update the drop tables alongside the Ahn’Qiraj War Effort. Prior to the Ahn’Qiraj unlock, most of the drop rates and locations will look as they did in the patches prior to 1.10, with exceptions—there are lots of little changes made in earlier patches that don’t have a big effect on player power, and in those cases, we’re planning to use the 1.12 drop rates and locations.

One example of the many items we’re planning for is: Titanic Leggings, which is a world drop that first appeared in 1.10. We can confirm that it will be controlled by the same content unlock that restricts the other 1.10 loot changes.

Here’s what the release order currently looks like:

Phase 1 (Classic Launch)
  • Molten Core
  • Onyxia
  • Maraudon
Phase 2
  • Dire Maul
  • Azuregos
  • Kazzak
Phase 3
  • Blackwing Lair
  • Darkmoon Faire
  • Darkmoon deck drops begin
Phase 4
  • Zul’Gurub
  • Green Dragons
Phase 5
  • Ahn’Qiraj War Effort begins
  • Ahn’Qiraj raids open when the war effort dictates
  • Dungeon loot reconfiguration: Tier 0.5 Dungeon gear, Relics, drop rates and location changes
Phase 6
  • Naxxramas
  • Scourge Invasion
We haven’t yet determined exactly when phases 2-6 will occur, and PvP content is notably missing from the list above. That’s because we’re still evaluating our options regarding PvP rewards, as they also changed over time (both in power and in terms of which PvP reward items were available).

While we can’t elaborate on every detail of every step we’re going to take (yet), we’re here reading all of your questions and we’re going to keep the answers coming.

Thank you!

---

This is great - not only does it indicate that they've been listening to the community's concerns, but also that they're actively shaping development based on that feedback where necessary. This was a really important one, because as it says above, if they release DM at the same time as MC, people would just farm the latter to make the former even easier than it already is (was).

To those critical / doubtful of Blizzard's ability to pull this off without messing it up (and I understand your concern with the company at large); this is big.

The other big takeaway from this post is that they have determined when phases 2-6 will occur; this implies that they do indeed have a release date set internally, even if it's still just "summer" for us.

Last edited:

Dinnell

Played from 2006 to 2010. Was a bit too young for a serious raiding guild, so i missed out on most of the endgame content. I'll definitely give it another shot!

V4skunk

Banned
I'd argue that they'd already done significantly worse things to the game than War Mode, but yeah, seeing people whining so much about ganking on PvP servers even in 2018... some of those forum posts like "I feel violated" and "I'm scared to play" were hysterical.
I don't even know what war mode is!
But trust me, the first 6 months of wow was amazing! Regular city raids involving thousands of players!
Horde chat would go crazy if an alliance raid was spotted, hundreds of players would rush to defend where ever was being attacked. Some raids were so big the servers would even crash!
During a city raid every npc could be slaughtered, including quest givers.
Used to be hilarious after a city raid waiting for quest givers to spawn. Lol.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Tempted to hop in when Classic releases. I wonder how big the install will be. Modern WoW is obnoxious for all the disc space it gobbles up. Will probably play dwarf priest and mostly do casual battlegrounds and world pvp. I have no interest in grinding pvp rank or investing time waiting in town to form groups to do dungeons. I'd much rather join a group that camps the entrances to dungeons and torment the latter after it took them 3 hours to find a tank and their healer has to leave in 30 minutes. No dungeons for you today, folks! =D

Classic Update - Official Forum Post
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/classic-content-plan/120346

At BlizzCon 2018, we proposed a plan to give Classic four content phases. These were planned to be centered primarily on raid power progression.

Currently, based on both your feedback and our own deliberations, we’re now planning to increase it to six phases. Our focus is still primarily on player power-progression, but we’re also aiming to capture what it felt like to play in a realm community in original WoW. To do that, we’re planning to mirror the approach taken by original WoW, with patches paired together. We’ll launch Classic with content from original WoW through patch 1.2.x, then the second update will include content that was in original WoW 1.3 and 1.4, the third Classic update will have 1.5 and 1.6 content, and so on.

Our first phase primarily focuses on launching Classic with Onyxia and Molten Core, but we’ve decided to hold off on Dire Maul for a while. Maraudon is still in the first phase, because it was originally released on December 18, 2004, just two weeks after the first player hit level 60, but we recognize that Dire Maul is in a different category. Some of the loot that’s attainable from Dire Maul is so good that it would affect progression through those early raids. We’re also planning to hold off on releasing Kazzak and Azuregos at launch as well, for the same reasons.

The next change we’re targeting addresses two concerns. First, Zul’Gurub and Blackwing Lair unlocking at the same time would differ from how they originally came out, and it makes sense to not have gear and enchants from Zul’Gurub available during early progress into Blackwing Lair. Secondly, the Emerald Dragons should be available earlier than the opening of Ahn’Qiraj, as they give us a way to start preparing nature resist gear for some of the encounters in AQ.

Along the way, we’ve taken a close look at items that provide the biggest power gains, many of which were introduced in 1.10 as part of a sweeping dungeon itemization pass. That patch was when Tier 0.5 gear was introduced, and Relics were added to the drop tables of many bosses. It also adjusted drop rates and drop locations of a lot of gear (to make room for the Relics). We’ve gone back and reconstructed many of the most heavily affected drop tables as they existed prior to the 1.10 patch, and we’re planning to update the drop tables alongside the Ahn’Qiraj War Effort. Prior to the Ahn’Qiraj unlock, most of the drop rates and locations will look as they did in the patches prior to 1.10, with exceptions—there are lots of little changes made in earlier patches that don’t have a big effect on player power, and in those cases, we’re planning to use the 1.12 drop rates and locations.

One example of the many items we’re planning for is: Titanic Leggings, which is a world drop that first appeared in 1.10. We can confirm that it will be controlled by the same content unlock that restricts the other 1.10 loot changes.

Here’s what the release order currently looks like:

Phase 1 (Classic Launch)
  • Molten Core
  • Onyxia
  • Maraudon
Phase 2
  • Dire Maul
  • Azuregos
  • Kazzak
Phase 3
  • Blackwing Lair
  • Darkmoon Faire
  • Darkmoon deck drops begin
Phase 4
  • Zul’Gurub
  • Green Dragons
Phase 5
  • Ahn’Qiraj War Effort begins
  • Ahn’Qiraj raids open when the war effort dictates
  • Dungeon loot reconfiguration: Tier 0.5 Dungeon gear, Relics, drop rates and location changes
Phase 6
  • Naxxramas
  • Scourge Invasion
We haven’t yet determined exactly when phases 2-6 will occur, and PvP content is notably missing from the list above. That’s because we’re still evaluating our options regarding PvP rewards, as they also changed over time (both in power and in terms of which PvP reward items were available).

While we can’t elaborate on every detail of every step we’re going to take (yet), we’re here reading all of your questions and we’re going to keep the answers coming.

Thank you!

---

This is great - not only does it indicate that they've been listening to the community's concerns, but also that they're actively shaping development based on that feedback where necessary. This was a really important one, because as it says above, if they release DM at the same time as MC, people would just farm the latter to make the former even easier than it already is (was).

To those critical / doubtful of Blizzard's ability to pull this off without messing it up (and I understand your concern with the company at large); this is big.

The other big takeaway from this post is that they have determined when phases 2-6 will occur; this implies that they do indeed have a release date set internally, even if it's still just "summer" for us.

I'd honestly wish they would move the dungeon tier .5 up abit. You can have the end at Silithus when the rest finishes but that was one underplayed questline due to the power creep. Would give non-raiders who don't pvp something to do as well.

Last edited:

LukeAJN

I'm actually so pumped for this game. Hopefully it's out earlier in the summer rather then later so I can get as much time in it without feeling bad for avoiding my studies in college.

Still trying to decide what I wanna roll though. I was a human ret paladin back in the day, and a orc enh shaman for a pserver which was a lot of fun, but want to try something new this time around when it launches.

AV

Official March 19th Update: Alterac Valley in Classic WoW
Source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/alterac-valley-in-classic/128908

This is a subject that has been asked about several times recently, and we want to clarify some of the details surrounding it. Like many aspects of the game, Alterac Valley was tuned and adjusted in different ways from patch to patch in 2005-2006.

First and foremost, we’re planning to use the 1.12 version of Alterac Valley. For many parts of the game like this, we’re picking an original WoW patch that gives us the most clarity for WoW: Classic, and 1.12 is that patch.

In Alterac Valley, that puts us before the introduction of reinforcements. It puts us before the removal of all of the Commanders and Lieutenants. The only win conditions are the killing of Drek’thar in Frostwolf Keep or Vanndar Stormpike in Dun Baldar.

It gives us several early improvements to the BG that we’re glad to have in place. Early on in AV, there were too many NPCs and they were too hard to kill. By 1.12, many had been removed and NPC health was brought down to a reasonable level. Turning in armor scraps is an encouraged, supportive activity by this point. Many capture points (mostly graveyards) had been moved away from their initial placements to gain better balance across the map. Korak the Bloodrager was removed, and killing opposing players no longer drops items like Dwarf Spines, Orc Teeth, or Human Bone Chips. Gross.

In our content plan update, we mentioned that we’re still working out exactly how and when PvP elements of Classic will roll out. We’ll update you on that here very soon.

---

This has been a slightly controversial post among the Classic community - some prefer the old 2-day-long AV matches, some prefer this newer model where it's more like 2 hours.

nkarafo

I liked the longer AV. it was my favorite part in WoW. Still, i wouldn't mind the version they are aiming for. It's still better than the more recent AVs i played in LK or Cata, where all the content is removed and players only rush to a few towers and the general.

The old AV matches were such a crazy fun battle. Joining one at night, going to bed, going to school, coming home from school and logging in and jumping back into that exact same AV. So wild. Prot Paladin PvP was fun in this era too.

AV

Official March 22nd Update: Loot Trading in Classic
Source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/loot-trading-in-classic/131586

At BlizzCon 2018, we talked about how we plan to keep loot trading in World of Warcraft Classic. We added loot trading in Wrath of the Lich King to solve a common problem: a player could accidentally loot an item meant for another player or give it to the wrong person using Master Loot. They would then have to contact Blizzard to get the item moved to the intended recipient, which might take days. We wanted to keep loot trading in WoW Classic because the end result is the same – the correct person gets the item – and it’ll save everyone time.

But we heard your concerns about the potential for abuse of the loot trading system in parties of five. It’s possible that abusive play could take the form of a group of four players colluding to deny loot to a stranger who joined their party as a pick-up. Raid groups, being much larger, come with more understanding on the part of solo players that loot distribution can depend on the whims of the many players and raid leaders who know each other.

Taking that into consideration, we’ve decided that the two-hour loot trading system in WoW Classic will only apply to soulbound gear that drops in raids. Soulbound loot that drops in five-person content will not be tradeable at any time. What we hope to do is to strike a balance between saving players time and minimizing the potential for abuse of the system. We think this approach better addresses the concerns we’ve heard from players on the subject.

---

Two updates in three days! The hype train knows no bounds.

This is another big one. Basically, many of us were concerned that if you were allowed to trade loot between players in instances after the roll was decided, you'd have cases where two or more friends/guildies might all roll on an item they could feasibly all use and then decide between themselves later who actually gets what. It's bad for the game and bad for the server communities, and this compromise ensures that we won't see it in any pre-raid content. PUG raids (and "filling slot") raids will still be slightly affected, but not to the same degree. Now anyone wrongly distributed loot in guild raids won't take days/weeks to sort out, great call by Blizzard here if they were going to introduce it at all.

AV

Official March 28th Update: Spell Batching in Classic
Source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/spell-batching-in-classic/137118

Since we first announced World of Warcraft Classic, we’ve seen questions about spell batching. While we never really eliminated spell batching in WoW, we did change how (and how often) we process batches of actions coming from players, so you’re less likely to notice that processing in today’s game. We’ve been working to ensure that in WoW Classic, the gameplay of activating spells and effects will not differ from the experience of playing original WoW.

It was relatively common in the original game to see a warrior Pummel a mage who simultaneously and successfully Polymorphed the warrior. The mage suffered Pummel damage but no spell-school lock, because the mage didn’t get interrupted. This could seem paradoxical, but it could happen because the Pummel and Polymorph were both in the same batch, and were both valid actions at the start of the batch. For the most part, things like that don’t happen in modern WoW, but they still can. We’ve made improvements to batch frequency, and the game is much more responsive than it used to be. Still, if you manage to get both a Pummel and a Polymorph into a tiny processing window in modern WoW, you’ll experience the same behavior as in original WoW.

As with many other areas of WoW Classic, authenticity is our primary concern. It used to be the norm that combat flow and PvP balance were defined and tuned in a game where spell messages were resolved less frequently. There was a single game loop that processed all messages sent and received every server tick. Nowadays, the game processes multiple loops for messages of differing priorities. Spell casts are high priority, and have been for a long time.

For WoW Classic, we’re moving spell casts to a low-priority loop that will cause them to be processed at the frequency that best fits how the game actually played in version 1.12. Two mages will be able to Polymorph each other somewhat reliably, resulting in two sheep nervously pacing around at range. Two warriors will be able to Charge one another, and the end result will be both warriors standing stunned in each other’s original location.

We think it’ll be fun to see those sorts of things happening again.

AV

Official April 8th Update: Classic PvP Content Plan
Source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/classic-pvp-content-plan/146049

Since we broke down the six phases of content that we’ll be rolling out for Classic, we’ve heard the increase in requests for PvP details so we wanted to get you up to speed on our plans there.

As was the case when World of Warcraft originally launched in 2004, there won’t be a formal PvP system in WoW Classic at the outset. You’ll still be able to PvP, of course, and there will be no Dishonorable Kills, so you’ll be free to repeatedly hunt down every player and NPC in, say, Stranglethorn Vale to your stealthy heart’s content.

That’ll change once phase 2 rolls around and we add the Honor System, which will introduce Honorable Kills, Dishonorable Kills, and PvP Rank Rewards. The items you earn from the PvP Rank Rewards will be the versions from patch 1.12. Keep in mind though, just as it did originally, it will require a substantial time investment to rank up through the Honor System. For those interested in the Rank Rewards, earning epic gear will require consistent dedication over a long period of time as a top contributor on your realm. We don’t expect to see many people running around with these items early on, but we’re certain Hillsbrad Foothills will still see its fair share of action!

In the third phase, we’ll introduce the first Battlegrounds: Alterac Valley (version 1.12 692) and Warsong Gulch, alongside with their associated vendors. One thing to note is that there were a couple of updates to these vendors over the course of the original patch releases, so some items won’t be available right away. For example, the Spell Penetration trinkets available from the Warsong Gulch vendor weren’t introduced until Patch 1.9, so we’re currently thinking that we’ll add these in phase 5.

The Arathi Basin Battleground will follow in phase 4, along with its specific vendor. It’ll be interesting to see how many people stay behind to guard the flag.

Finally, in phase 6, we’ll have the world PvP objectives in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands, which will come out at the same time as Naxxramas.

Here’s what the PvP content looks like mapped to the phases we recently posted about:

Phase 1 (WoW Classic Launch)
  • You can PvP one another in the world, but there is no tracking, and no formal rewards for doing so.
Phase 2
  • Honor System (including Dishonorable Kills)
  • PvP Rank Rewards
Phase 3
Phase 4
  • Arathi Basin
Phase 6
  • World PvP objectives in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands
As we mentioned before, we haven’t yet determined exactly when each of the content phases will occur but we’ll keep you updated as they draw closer.

We’re here reading what you have to say, so we wanted to thank all of you for your feedback and discussions about Classic. Keep it going!

Last edited:

AV

Hello everyo- is there an echo in here?

For anyone following this thread (thank you), the WoW Classic Beta has been uncovered!

https://www.wowhead.com/news=291275/classic-beta-entry-appears-in-blizzards-cdn

Somebody noticed than an entry for wow_classic_beta appeared in Blizzard's content delivery network. This means that a beta is, if not imminent, approaching fast. They will likely announce it soon as the news is out in the wild now. For my money, that means the beta will run in a few weeks time, for a few weeks time, then a little period afterwards to polish up, then release. Summer 2019 still looks like a good timeframe.

BunzLee

Hey.

I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to think about classic. I've been playing WoW (still am) since release day and even though there's some sweet nostalgia attached to Classic WoW, I'm not entirely sure it's the kind of WoW I would want to play today. The early access alpha was fun, but also quite tedious already. I got so used to many of the quality of live changes, that I'm not sure I want to go back to old WoW. I'm also lacking the time to put in to really make any decent progress. We'll see.

That said, Blizzard is really ramping up the Classic business and it seems they have their plan set. I'm really curious to see how long we'll be waiting inbetween phases, and what's going to happen once the content is "over". In regards to the beta I'm probably not going to play it a lot, as I'm expecting the usual wipe and I wouldn't want to repeat that content too often.

AV

Hey.

I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to think about classic. I've been playing WoW (still am) since release day and even though there's some sweet nostalgia attached to Classic WoW, I'm not entirely sure it's the kind of WoW I would want to play today. The early access alpha was fun, but also quite tedious already. I got so used to many of the quality of live changes, that I'm not sure I want to go back to old WoW. I'm also lacking the time to put in to really make any decent progress. We'll see.

That said, Blizzard is really ramping up the Classic business and it seems they have their plan set. I'm really curious to see how long we'll be waiting inbetween phases, and what's going to happen once the content is "over". In regards to the beta I'm probably not going to play it a lot, as I'm expecting the usual wipe and I wouldn't want to repeat that content too often.

Hi! Well, if you're still playing retail, there's a good chance Classic won't be the game you're looking for. I think Classic's appeal is going to be primarily for those who lost interest in retail at some point for whatever reason. I personally played vanilla through wrath and then quit at the start of Cataclysm because I hated it, came back to do a little raiding in WoD/Legion but it still wasn't the game I remembered.

The classic team definitely seem to be making all the right moves in terms of listening to community feedback and making good compromises to allow for a great experience. Realistically, we still need to hear about the following:
  • Beta date, length, invites etc.
  • Final decision on sharding and things like dynamic respawns
  • Right-click reporting (please god let this change)
  • Any pre-release server info including population caps
And of course, at some point, a firm release date. Realistically there isn't much left to do, especially if a beta is rolling out soon.

Tesseract

Banned
i'll probably jump in once there's world pvp objectives

i'll say this tho: if this isn't turned into a mostly world pvp centric experience, it'll be a huge disappointment

BunzLee

I'm kind of expecting for this whole thing to be way more centered around PVP than it used to be. People know a lot of the content for the most part, and having a smaller world with a less spread out playerbase is going to make this a fun experience for world PVP. That's why I'm still struggling at picking a class - if I'll ever play at all - because it's a must for me that it holds up during open world fights.

AV

Early AV was best AV.

I'm the best AV.

Really though, while early AV was fun, it's not in keeping with the rest of Classic. It would be weird to selectively have one element in its early stage while the rest either start as they were in 1.12 or will make their way there over the course of classic. Doesn't seem to me like that's going to change.
i'll say this tho: if this isn't turned into a mostly world pvp centric experience, it'll be a huge disappointment

If you roll on a PVP server, it sure will be. In phase 2 they're introducing the honor system which means that before that, you'll see a lot of city raids for fun (since there will be no dishonorable kills for months after launch), and then when phase 2 hits you're going to see all-out war as 60s start going for honor points without battlegrounds to keep them locked away. It'll be glorious chaos.
That's why I'm still struggling at picking a class - if I'll ever play at all - because it's a must for me that it holds up during open world fights.

Go priest and mind control people off of cliffs. Or paladin / druid considering they never die.

AV

When.. like I want the DAY!

Sick of waiting.
If I was betting, I'd say announcement in June and release at the end of July.

The tin foil hat theory currently is July 16. That's because in the Restoring History Blizzcon panel (an absolute must-watch if you're interested in Classic, by the way), they have screen shots of two gnomes. One is called Osconty, and a Google search leads to a WoW Armory page for a level 16 Gnome in (modernised) dungeon set gear. The other gnome is called July.

A bit crazy? Sure. But it's quite possible that July 16 is the date they're kicking around internally. Given that they'll be announcing the beta officially any time now, mid July isn't actually unreasonable. Gives them 3 months to get the beta out, give it a good bash and then spend a little more time polishing things up.

To contribute to the classic topic, I was thinking of asking which zone is your favorite?
To me it feels like something like the Barrens, because of its size, the events that happened there, the music, the sense of scale and variation in terms of conflicts/creatures that existed.

Also, I'm so glad I found the WoW Battle Chests guides last year. It's just a nice trip down memory lane.

91F9XyVkTvL.jpg

Did there exist any official guide before this one? Would love to find one and buy it if so. I started playing at patch 1.6, but can't remember an official guide existing before the battle chest guide.

It should be on your account whether you're flagged for beta access.

It's on the account settings somewhere.

I've opted-in for beta, if that's what you meant. Not gotten in of course.

Last edited:
Duskwood by far. That's one of the main bullet points for rolling alliance. Not sure if I will or not, but I love that zone.

Ya, the beta opt in. There's not anymore I know of besides knowing people personally in Blizzard. lol

Last edited:
I for the life of me can't remember what server I originally started on but The Barrens was nonstop Chuck Norris and Your Momma jokes. Combined with how fun the zone is on it's own that fun sense of community made for a memorable time and has always stuck in my memory. I started playing in the last few months of the beta and played for about 10 years and i'm excited to see how they do at serving up that vanilla experience.

cr0w

Old Member
I'd love to get back into Classic, but the amount of time involved to do ANYTHING would kill my ability to really play it. I wish I could have the amount of free time 24-year-old me had these days, because I'd be all over that shit.

Barrens chat is going to be absolutely incredible when it finally releases. Years of pent-up idiocy is going to come spilling out all at once.

[3. Local Defense] : The Crossroads is under attack!
[1. General] : Dumass: Whers Mankriks wife?

Last edited:
Reactions: AV

cr0w

Old Member
I think my brain has rid itself of the ability to even process either of those at this point. I can't think of a single one to throw in there.

I'd love to get back into Classic, but the amount of time involved to do ANYTHING would kill my ability to really play it. I wish I could have the amount of free time 24-year-old me had these days, because I'd be all over that shit.

Barrens chat is going to be absolutely incredible when it finally releases. Years of pent-up idiocy is going to come spilling out all at once.

[1. General] : Dumass: Whers Mankriks wife?

Be a turtle. Really, you don't need to take it as a race. There's no use thinking of it that way, trying to go hardcore in. Treat it as a nostalgia trip and something you do little by little. Eventually you'll hit lvl 60. Eventually you'll get through dungeons, getting gear. Join a really casual guild that focus on the earlier raids and a small raiding schedule. Lots of options.

MMaRsu

Banned
Did there exist any official guide before this one?

I dont think so brotha, I had that exact same one. Probably threw it away tho. Lulz :(.

My favorite zone would probably be Teldrassil and the areas that you quest in after that ( cant remember the name )

Fuck yes

Top Bottom