• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

cr0w

Old Member
Be a turtle. Really, you don't need to take it as a race. There's no use thinking of it that way, trying to go hardcore in. Treat it as a nostalgia trip and something you do little by little. Eventually you'll hit lvl 60. Eventually you'll get through dungeons, getting gear. Join a really casual guild that focus on the earlier raids and a small raiding schedule. Lots of options.

Problem is I can't play MMOs like that, or anything loot-based really. I always completely focus on the carrot dangling in front of me to the point where I get cranky if I can't drop everything to pursue the next drop.

Too bad cr0w cr0w . Maybe you can aim to make a twink and pvp in 10-19 or 20-29? That might be a simple goal.

Btw, one of the things I look forward to is the PvP and the general sense of the world and questing. I jumped into a private server half a year ago, low population and had a high exp rate.
Not only did I instantly discover how infantilized we've been in regards to questing working like a gps game. I had to after all read quests and try to get where I was supposed to go, as I couldn't remember the quest. It was the shaman quest in the beginning in orc/troll starting area. That feeling was just amazing.
But when a warrior I made was lvl 58/59 in crappy gear (due to high exp rate, you'd end up having a lot of lvl 40 gear), going through Blackrock Mountain to get to Burning Steppes, I was suddenly attacked by a warrior with good lvl ~60 blues (including an Arcanite Reaper). I panicked of course at first seeing my health smashed down quickly. But I quickly used a potion, went into defensive stance, used disarm, switch to Berserker stance and used recklessness and popped blood rage. And, lo and behold, I wrecked that lvl 60 warrior, surviving with about 5-10% health left. Best pvp fight I've had in years. You'll never see that kinda thing in modern WoW. The HP differences are just so huge, the damage differences so huge.
Heck, back in classic I had engineering and one time a lvl 60 character with his lvl ~40 friend went after me (then around lvl 40-something as well, I believe) outside Booty Bay. I just used Gnomish Mind Control cap and got him to kill his own friend and got him attacked by the guards.

So many good memories.

Trying to decide if warlock will become the next huntard.

Warlock weapon!

k0kuYkQ.jpg

I'm looking forward to rolling a new priest and getting it up to end game for Raids and PVP. I met a group of friends in WOW beta back in 2003 and we still play games together to this day and can't wait to revamp the old guild and hit those dungeons.

I'm looking forward to rolling a new priest and getting it up to end game for Raids and PVP. I met a group of friends in WOW beta back in 2003 and we still play games together to this day and can't wait to revamp the old guild and hit those dungeons.

So you're saying you're actually excited to play an actual mmorpg?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
World PVP in Tanaris and some other zones was where it was at for me back in the Vanilla days. Alterac Valley, too. That original PVP ranking system with the honor grind rankings per set time interval was insane. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: I think I got Knight-Captain on my Gnome Rogue before they eventually changed it?

Helios

World PVP in Tanaris and some other zones was where it was at for me back in the Vanilla days. Alterac Valley, too. That original PVP ranking system with the honor grind rankings per set time interval was insane. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: I think I got Knight-Captain on my Gnome Rogue before they eventually changed it?
Stranglethorn Vale was my jam.
I still get Vietnam flashbacks every time I hear this

Yeah, Stranglethorn Vale was awesome. Love trolls, so the theme was great. It also had a lot of contact between both factions and it felt huge. You also got the Stranglethorn Arena. I got the trinkets for my twink rogue by logging on during off hours.
The layout was so good as well. As horde it was more like a zone where you had a base, while for alliance it was more like you were infiltrating and being at the frontier. On my server the pvp was great as well. It switch between almost even, to being overwhelmed and then turning back again. You had no choice back then. Nesingwary camp was the big place for quests and important in leveling. So you'd either wait it out or you had to gather more people of your faction to strike back.

I just need to know what latch it is so I know what Shaman I'm getting lol, please let it be wind fury shaman :D

Windfurry isn't all that good actually. lol

Two handed WF is like the least(or one of) effective leveling builds.

Elemental is much better in burst and constistency in l8r pvp when you get AQ gear.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
Too bad cr0w cr0w . Maybe you can aim to make a twink and pvp in 10-19 or 20-29? That might be a simple goal.

Btw, one of the things I look forward to is the PvP and the general sense of the world and questing. I jumped into a private server half a year ago, low population and had a high exp rate.
Not only did I instantly discover how infantilized we've been in regards to questing working like a gps game. I had to after all read quests and try to get where I was supposed to go, as I couldn't remember the quest. It was the shaman quest in the beginning in orc/troll starting area. That feeling was just amazing.
But when a warrior I made was lvl 58/59 in crappy gear (due to high exp rate, you'd end up having a lot of lvl 40 gear), going through Blackrock Mountain to get to Burning Steppes, I was suddenly attacked by a warrior with good lvl ~60 blues (including an Arcanite Reaper). I panicked of course at first seeing my health smashed down quickly. But I quickly used a potion, went into defensive stance, used disarm, switch to Berserker stance and used recklessness and popped blood rage. And, lo and behold, I wrecked that lvl 60 warrior, surviving with about 5-10% health left. Best pvp fight I've had in years. You'll never see that kinda thing in modern WoW. The HP differences are just so huge, the damage differences so huge.
Heck, back in classic I had engineering and one time a lvl 60 character with his lvl ~40 friend went after me (then around lvl 40-something as well, I believe) outside Booty Bay. I just used Gnomish Mind Control cap and got him to kill his own friend and got him attacked by the guards.

So many good memories.

Those old PVP fights were something. A friend of mine was questing in Hillsbrad (the Yeti cave, to be exact) and a Human Pally was giving him grief, so I took my lvl 60 Undead Rogue over there to see if I could give him a break and at least distract the Pally so he could finish his shit. I think I fought that Pally for 15-20 straight minutes before I finally killed him, it was epic as hell. World PVP was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time, especially when I was leveling as Alliance on a different server. Every time I heard anything even resembling a Rogue's stealth activation, I bolted. There was one Undead Rogue named Griefer that would stealth and just sit on the dock at Southshore and kill anything that moved for hours on end. By the end of the day it was just littered with player skeletons. Hated that guy.

Last edited:
Windfurry isn't all that good actually. lol

Two handed WF is like the least(or one of) effective leveling builds.

Elemental is much better in burst and constistency in l8r pvp when you get AQ gear.

Hmmm. depends. I leveled as Enhancement in classic and WF felt more exciting because of its procs. Then again, I did so before the attack power WF nerf.

Those old PVP fights were something. A friend of mine was questing in Hillsbrad (the Yeti cave, to be exact) and a Human Pally was giving him grief, so I took my lvl 60 Undead Rogue over there to see if I could give him a break and at least distract the Pally so he could finish his shit. I think I fought that Pally for 15-20 straight minutes before I finally killed him, it was epic as hell. World PVP was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time, especially when I was leveling as Alliance on a different server. Every time I heard anything even resembling a Rogue's stealth activation, I bolted. There was one Undead Rogue named Griefer that would stealth and just sit on the dock at Southshore and kill anything that moved for hours on end. By the end of the day it was just littered with player skeletons. Hated that guy.

I played a shaman as my main back in classic. Facing paladins was always about a battle for mana. Lost a few times because I didn't play the long game against a paladin, until I learned. Fighting them could last a long time indeed. But it felt fun at least and you felt like you were playing this long tactical game. Sometimes you got everything timed up right. Sometimes they went oom. Sometimes someone else in your faction or their faction came by and turned the tables. And sometimes you both ended up agreeing to stop. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Rogues felt bad because you couldn't see them coming and they'd attack you while fighting a mob.

I also embarrassingly lost once to a group of people way below my lvl in STV, because I got cocky. Low levels weren't things you tried to kid too much with back then. Even more so those with engineering and Gnomish Death Ray. I remember there was a pvp video about engineering back then.

As a shaman in classic, anyone remember the whole Tseric ordeal? I still remember how disappointing the whole class review felt as a shaman. Especially sharing the patch with mages and seeing them get things as baseline. While we got just small adjustments.

Too bad ytmnd doesn't function as it used to. I can still hear the music in my head when seeing the picture: http://shamanreview.ytmnd.com/

Not classic relevant, but does anyone remember this?

wow-prostituee.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Did there exist any official guide before this one?

Yep, there was the original large-print strategy guide that released with the game: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0744004055/

There was also the atlas: https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Warcraft®-Atlas-Brady-Games/dp/0744004411/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=world+of+warcraft+strategy+guide&qid=1556096021&s=books&sr=1-6
The dungeon companion: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0744006996/
And the master guide: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0744008190/

You can find 'em all on eBay if you need a fix until Classic launches.

Last edited:
Yep, there was the original large-print strategy guide that released with the game
[...]
You can find 'em all on eBay if you need a fix until Classic launches.

Thanks. Definitely gonna purchase them. Having them ready for when Classic launches would be bliss. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Anyone decided what class they'll play?
I honestly feel excited about all classes. I've recently leveled up the various classes on a private server and they all feel so distinct and you feel that you like them for various reasons. I've considered making a hunter for general money making at lvl 60. But a part of me also wants to go for completing the first character I made (Warrior, which is the more "optimal" class) or for playing the class I played as main (Shaman). Just playing around with the talent trees feel like a game in itself. I can't think of a single class I don't like.

Anyone decided a race, but choosing a different starting zone? Or in other words, any alliance doing any wetlands run?

Yeah, Stranglethorn Vale was awesome. Love trolls, so the theme was great. It also had a lot of contact between both factions and it felt huge. You also got the Stranglethorn Arena. I got the trinkets for my twink rogue by logging on during off hours.
The layout was so good as well. As horde it was more like a zone where you had a base, while for alliance it was more like you were infiltrating and being at the frontier. On my server the pvp was great as well. It switch between almost even, to being overwhelmed and then turning back again. You had no choice back then. Nesingwary camp was the big place for quests and important in leveling. So you'd either wait it out or you had to gather more people of your faction to strike back.

I was one of the few people on my server (Shattered Hand) that had a talisman of ephemeral power and zandalarian hero charm on my mage. You use to be able to double trinket, so with arcane power + double trinket I could pretty much 2 shot anyone in pvp.

Those two trinkets were the sole reason blizz changed it to where you could only activate 1 at a time.

I was one of the few people on my server (Shattered Hand) that had a talisman of ephemeral power and zandalarian hero charm on my mage. You use to be able to double trinket, so with arcane power + double trinket I could pretty much 2 shot anyone in pvp.

Those two trinkets were the sole reason blizz changed it to where you could only activate 1 at a time.

Me as an engineer back then:
1. See decently equipped mage without pet?
2. Equip "Hyper-Radiant Flame Reflector"
3. Wait and time it.

I feel like the ToEE + ZHC could be ridiculously overpowered, but it could also equally be countered by a good player or a player with right equipment or engineering.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oh, yeah, I used engineering in PVP too, but not the death ray much. As a rogue there were so many different special abilities and burst damage options already. The net was handy though!

Oh, yeah, I used engineering in PVP too, but not the death ray much. As a rogue there were so many different special abilities and burst damage options already. The net was handy though!

Ya, the death ray were mainly for palas. Until it backfired. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The back fire on the mind control devices tho. :messenger_dizzy:

The stun grenades tho...

Last edited:
I loved the battle pets they used to throw out. A lv 35 gnome could have a lv 63 battle pet on those. Although, it take some grinding and work at that level.

As a shaman in classic, anyone remember the whole Tseric ordeal? I still remember how disappointing the whole class review felt as a shaman. Especially sharing the patch with mages and seeing them get things as baseline. While we got just small adjustments.

Too bad ytmnd doesn't function as it used to. I can still hear the music in my head when seeing the picture: http://shamanreview.ytmnd.com/

Not classic relevant, but does anyone remember this?

The most drama we had on my server was there was some chick in my raiding guild who was like the lead druid healer. Well after my raiding guild broke up she joined another that was really highly ranked in the U.S at the time, they had multiple first kills U.S during vanilla. Anyways I don't know what the whole ordeal was but they posted a video of her masturbating nude on their guild forums which were viewable by the public. I don't know if she consented to the release of the video (im assuming not) and I dunno if they got in trouble for it. Looking back it's pretty crazy some of the shit that went on in WoW.

My guild was great though because we had this crazy rich Romanian who built this expensive ass website for our dkp usage, it was leagues ahead of what other guilds had and was a super nice professionally built website(hell it still rivals most professionally made websites made today). At the peak of my raiding guild though before things went south we were like the 2nd guild server wide to take down twin emps.

JSoup

Banned
I'm mostly interested for sight seeing purposes.
I started WoW half way through Cataclysm, anything from before that I've only read about.
I'm pretty happy with my current WoW experience, but I figured I'd take Classic as a way to take in the pre-Cata sights.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Anyone decided what class they'll play?

I've flip-flopped back and forth but I think I've landed on hunter (night elf). I played a dwarf hunter vanilla through wrath and then again in WoD and Legion, but never raided vanilla and only did about half of TBC. Like you said, I wanna "complete" the character I made, but more the class. Dwarves are great but look kinda shit in higher level hunter gear, female night elves look awesome so I'm going for that. Some great advantages to being a hunter and I've already raided top-end content with one. Aside from that, probably a warrior and priest alt too for tank/heal shenanigans.

I'm totally going engineering this time round, it's something I'd avoided in the past, but... making my own ammo, dynamite, jumper cables, a free teleport... all too good to pass up.

Tesseract

Banned
i'm trying to decide if i wanna play this or not, i'm so conflicted

i wanna melt faces with my shadow priest

i was the top arena player on my server for a while (shadow priest / rogue), i'm gonna miss bc arena ...

i hope the world pvp is good

Last edited:
i'm trying to decide if i wanna play this or not, i'm so conflicted

i wanna melt faces with my shadow priest

i was the top arena player on my server for a while (shadow priest / rogue), i'm gonna miss bc arena ...

i hope the world pvp is good

World pvp will take off once the honor phase kicks in. Probably won't be much until then.

Kenpachii

Some people don't like it. That's cool.

It had to be done tho. If this was free, it wouldn't happen.

It should be free and still playable to this date. People paid good money for it. Everything they want more now is pure greed.

There are tons of private servers that can run the entire vanilla project for free and put the game up in a day without issue's.

Sorry but these are just blizzard excuses and one of the main reasons why they got such a huge amount of blackslash at there last event.

There is nothing hard to run a vanilla server or difficult. Hell people could even provide the data for them if they want too. It's just zero effort blizzard at work here.

It's also the main complain from people wanting classic is why does it take so long? I honestly think they got 1 dude working on it 1 hour a week that's with break time included.

It's a joke.

It should be free and still playable to this date. People paid good money for it. Everything they want more now is pure greed.

There are tons of private servers that can run the entire vanilla project for free and put the game up in a day without issue's.

Sorry but these are just blizzard excuses and one of the main reasons why they got such a huge amount of blackslash at there last event.

There is nothing hard to run a vanilla server or difficult. Hell people could even provide the data for them if they want too. It's just zero effort blizzard at work here.

It's also the main complain from people wanting classic is why does it take so long? I honestly think they got 1 dude working on it 1 hour a week that's with break time included.

It's a joke.

It cost money to pay people. Most of us would've gladly paid a sub fee when we were begging for this.

The sub fee was pretty much known when they announced classic server option.

Kenpachii

It cost money to pay people. Most of us would've gladly paid a sub fee when we were begging for this.

The sub fee was pretty much known when they announced classic server option.

They already got paid 100 times over for it. That excuse isn't flying.

And if those greedy ceo's don't want to spend any money because they want to put 10 more pools in there gardens , there are enough fans that would do it for free and the server would be running in a day by the community which already happens at this day of age.

Sorry but there is no excuse.

If they cared about it, they would have the server already running for a year now and had it for free up out of respect for there player base.

Last edited:
They already got paid 100 times over for it. That excuse isn't flying.

And if those greedy ceo's don't want to spend any money because they want to put 10 more pools in there gardens , there are enough fans that would do it for free and the server would be running in a day by the community which already happens at this day of age.

Sorry but there is no excuse.

Fandom doesn't pay the bills or shareholders.

Most of us will glady pay. The rest will stay on pirate servers I guess.

You do you.

AV

It's a joke.

This is nuts. Why would or should it be free? How many other companies do you see putting out free games that aren't infested with microtransactions and lootboxes? Why is it okay for Sony and Nintendo to charge for games from the 80s and 90s but Blizzard can't charge for a game from the 2000s?

Private servers do not run for free, I don't know where you've got this information from. Servers, web hosts, sometimes moderation, etc. cost money. It's why so many servers shut down constantly. Private servers either rely on donations, private funding, or gold/item shops which ruin servers. To claim they "put the game up in a day without issues" is bonkers. Have you actually played any private servers? NONE of them have ever worked 100% correctly. None of them have ever used the 100% accurate 1.12 data because they don't have it.

But what's more bonkers is to say there's zero effort involved on Blizzard's end. If you'd taken the time to actually look at what they're doing behind the scenes you'd know that this isn't just another private server, it's taking the original game data and running it in a modern client, which is unprecedented and will bring about a whole new range of bugs that need fixing. Do you really think if it was that easy they wouldn't already have released it? Why would they be turning down free money..?

Sorry, but the idea that you should be able to play an official WoW server for free forever is ludicrously entitled. 15 bucks a month is a drop in the ocean for the hours an average player will put in, especially considering you can also access the core game with the same subscription.

Top Bottom