• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

I've flip-flopped back and forth but I think I've landed on hunter (night elf). I played a dwarf hunter vanilla through wrath and then again in WoD and Legion, but never raided vanilla and only did about half of TBC. Like you said, I wanna "complete" the character I made, but more the class. Dwarves are great but look kinda shit in higher level hunter gear, female night elves look awesome so I'm going for that. Some great advantages to being a hunter and I've already raided top-end content with one. Aside from that, probably a warrior and priest alt too for tank/heal shenanigans.

Female night elves are great and fit lorewise as well. I remember NE hunter + cat pet would often be very beneficial in some battlegrounds, as you and your pet could remain stealthed (WSG: enemy flagroom. AB: capture points. AV: not as great, but certain situations, like the GYs or screwing up attempts at various "boss"-type mobs).
Also, wisp form doesn't hurt as well.

Trying to decide between an UD lock or a gnome mage. LOL decisions, decisions.

UD lock and gnome mage seems like classical WoW PvP videos. Only missing UD rogue.
My first character was actually a UD warrior, a dual-wielding warrior. Led me to abandon him after hitting lvl 26 or so and making a Troll Shaman instead. Most of my alliance characters were human females, mostly because their models looked really good in my opinion. That's kind of what happens when you have overly muscular male characters, which I felt didn't fit my human rogue or my human warlock.

Female night elves are great and fit lorewise as well. I remember NE hunter + cat pet would often be very beneficial in some battlegrounds, as you and your pet could remain stealthed (WSG: enemy flagroom. AB: capture points. AV: not as great, but certain situations, like the GYs or screwing up attempts at various "boss"-type mobs).
Also, wisp form doesn't hurt as well.

UD lock and gnome mage seems like classical WoW PvP videos. Only missing UD rogue.
My first character was actually a UD warrior, a dual-wielding warrior. Led me to abandon him after hitting lvl 26 or so and making a Troll Shaman instead. Most of my alliance characters were human females, mostly because their models looked really good in my opinion. That's kind of what happens when you have overly muscular male characters, which I felt didn't fit my human rogue or my human warlock.

Not really going for the PVP videos. If I were, I'd be going for an elemental shammy. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

WATCH IN VAIN AS i ONE SHOT THE FUCKING LOT OF YOU!! :)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I remember NE hunter + cat pet would often be very beneficial in some battlegrounds, as you and your pet could remain stealthed (WSG: enemy flagroom. AB: capture points. AV: not as great, but certain situations, like the GYs or screwing up attempts at various "boss"-type mobs).

It's gonna be an Owl from levels 10-37 for screech multi-target tanking, but you'd better believe I'm gonna be one of the first level 37 hunters on my server and I'll be hunting Broken Tooth for that sweet, sweet 1.0 attack speed. Absolutely destroys in PVP.

It's gonna be an Owl from levels 10-37 for screech multi-target tanking, but you'd better believe I'm gonna be one of the first level 37 hunters on my server and I'll be hunting Broken Tooth for that sweet, sweet 1.0 attack speed. Absolutely destroys in PVP.

Those owls are sweet when in they aren't in the hands of huntards. The attack down AOE is pretty nice.

Fuck BT in pvp tho. Annoying... :)

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Fandom doesn't pay the bills or shareholders.

Most of us will glady pay. The rest will stay on pirate servers I guess.

You do you.

They already paid there bills and shareholders. Now its time for them to pay back to there community instead of spitting on them by asking for even more money for something that cost practically no effort or money to push out and it will also indirectly generate them money through advertising there game to a new audience that doesn't want to pay fee's.

If most of us are fine with paying montly fee's and high start prices then blizzards world of warcraft would sure as hell be doing far better then it's doing right now. Guess what most people play free to play games and they also make most of the money. So no most of us don't want montly fee's and specially not for something they already paid a massive fee for to start with back in the day.

It's not hard to understand.

This is nuts. Why would or should it be free? How many other companies do you see putting out free games that aren't infested with microtransactions and lootboxes? Why is it okay for Sony and Nintendo to charge for games from the 80s and 90s but Blizzard can't charge for a game from the 2000s?

Private servers do not run for free, I don't know where you've got this information from. Servers, web hosts, sometimes moderation, etc. cost money. It's why so many servers shut down constantly. Private servers either rely on donations, private funding, or gold/item shops which ruin servers. To claim they "put the game up in a day without issues" is bonkers. Have you actually played any private servers? NONE of them have ever worked 100% correctly. None of them have ever used the 100% accurate 1.12 data because they don't have it.

But what's more bonkers is to say there's zero effort involved on Blizzard's end. If you'd taken the time to actually look at what they're doing behind the scenes you'd know that this isn't just another private server, it's taking the original game data and running it in a modern client, which is unprecedented and will bring about a whole new range of bugs that need fixing. Do you really think if it was that easy they wouldn't already have released it? Why would they be turning down free money..?

Sorry, but the idea that you should be able to play an official WoW server for free forever is ludicrously entitled. 15 bucks a month is a drop in the ocean for the hours an average player will put in, especially considering you can also access the core game with the same subscription.

1) Loads of company's put games out for free, its called free to play something that completely took over blizzards market dominance on the PC sector for a reason in profits and user base. People flee from blizzard maybe you didn't noticed it yet, but even devs are bailing out ( they already did ). And it's all because of there attitude.

2) Wow is already pay to win, ever saw there gold tokens? last time i played was wow legion and frankly it was totally pay to win. There is absolute no reason to ask a montly fee anymore to start with. So that argument is also void. U wanted to do content fast? get taken into raids? pay gold tokens. Want gear fast? pay gold tokens. It was far more pay to win then most free, free to play games have in the current landscape. So let's not ride that chicken.

3) What sony and nintendo do i have zero interest in, what blizzard does i have.

But if you want to argue about it, maybe blizzard should honestly ask you to pay a second fee for internet access towards blizzard shop. I guess you would be all for it. Because some other console company's also do it.

I could go on about nintendo and there rom scam all day long but won't now.

I paid in total 2000 euro's for wow and loads of people did to support the game, i aspect to be served at this point. But frankly they have nothing to show for it. They did nothing with the money and there inefficiency of a absolute joke with classic is showing there true face.

If they cared the game would run already a year ago and costed you nothing.

4) Loads of people that would want to run those servers for blizzard for free or a tiny fee and create all the infrastructure from zero if needed. But they could easily pay with the billions they leeched of there playerbase good faith over the years and already have the infrastructure in place to start with. But they won't because they rather fuel there golden ferari's then invest into the games with it. Guess why everybody just slammed them at there last bliz "con" as even the die hard fans started to see through there bullshit at this point.

And if they really needed a investment ( lol ) , they could start a kickstarter or ask the community straight up for the money they need to run those servers. And then people would honestly be shocked at how inefficient those clowns operate there company.

I can already see there list with total cost for all materials being only 1% with salary of the ceo being 90%.

5) Did you even play world of warcraft? the game has never worked for a 100%. There game is always riddled with bugs. Vanilla will also contain bugs that will have to be fixed, but if they fix those it's no longer vanilla. So that basically means vanilla can be launched with bugs without issue's to start with which can be worked on over time like any private server does really.

And the 1.12 wasn't the holy grail to start with, its just a patch they decide on because it's the most " up to date version" with needed stuff to make things work.

6) Why does anybody care if they run it on a new client? they just want to play wow vanilla. They could slam that engine way later in and replace it with the private server data if they cared. Players won't care even remotely.

Private servers have servers running with up to 13k players while the original engine would be killed already at 1k players. All excuses for them to validate there prices.

It's just blizzard being special at this point. And what else are they adding? new content? yea that's going to fly well with those classic purists.

7) 15 bucks a month is not a drop in the ocean. It's a barrier of greed that will prevent most people from playing the game. There is zero reason this has to cost any money to start with. It keeps people on there platform, gets new people into wow that maybe wouldn't be interested into it and eventually will maybe try out there flag ship wow version with pay to win content in it.

It's basically how free to play company's operate and even single player games by giving away there first game in order for people to get interested into there second game.

The fact they have the guts to even ask a monthly fee for vanilla, showcases you why there game is dying and why devs and community's are bailing on it. Totally disconnected with there audiences.

I follow wow already for a while and frankly even there community manager got axed because it actually tried to communicate in a half normal manner with there audience. Obviously that toxic shill of a company doesn't like that and axes him which created a second wave of outrage.

The company is a joke and anybody that supports them shilling for even more money " because share holders, toxic ceo's" should honestly reflect on why they play or support company's in the video game industry to start with.

At this point the company needs a full blown reboot or simple just sell off vanilla IP or give a license out towards private server owners to get anything half decent going.

Because it's clear they are not even capable to run something as simple as a vanilla server for the masses in any decent time. I wouldn't be shocked if they only got 2 people working on it in the weekend that are interns. Go watch some interviews with the original wow vanilla creators. You will have a laugh.

If you pay the 15 bucks a month, u are the problem.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
big text wall

1. As I said, actually free games, not games that start free and are infested with microtransactions. Classic WoW will not have MTX like retail
2. Gold in retail WoW is not "winning" and there is no confirmation that tokens will be in classic (but they won't, the community would flip out too much). WoW is not P2W and never has been
3. You paid thousands of euros for the base game, expansions, access to the servers and content updates, not to be promised a free version of the game later
4. Again, you're arguing things that are totally unrealistic. On what planet does a big company put out something completely free just because they could? Blizzard COULD have lowered or removed the sub years ago. But they're offering access to one of the best MMOs ever.
5. Wrong, I'm talking about bugs that private servers introduced that weren't in Vanilla, bugs that cannot be fixed because the teams do not have the knowledge and expertise that Blizzard will due to access to material no one else has.
6. Blizzard care. They're a massive company, especially with Activision they cannot be seen to just totally ignore their modern security and social features and shit out some 1.12 client download like every other private server. Classic is not going to just be another realmlist entry.
7. "zero reason"? How about it's a product they are selling? How about they're a company that is trying to make money?

I really think we should just agree to disagree instead of getting into further walls of texts, but to me the idea that you're entitled to unrestricted access to their WoW reboot completely for free just because you happily paid a subscription for years is bananas. So many game companies COULD offer their old games for free. They don't. An old games do not magically become free just because you've already been playing an illegitimate version of it. This is in absolutely no way exclusive to Blizzard.

They hired a bunch of people to get this up to date. I'll gladly not have my toon not lose progress.

If you don't wanna pay, you do you.

I remember one of the nice things about WoW when it first launched was they didn't delete your shit after your sub was inactive. Remember how SOE who would delete your shit if your account was inactive for 90 consecutive days.:messenger_unamused::messenger_unamused:

Lost my damn OG Planetside characters that way.

Tesseract

Banned
you guys go alliance then i fear that if you are not with me, then you are my enemy

i WILL corpse camp you

Last edited:
My original was an Undead and thats what I'll probably roll again

Devouring Plague. Nnnnnng. Not mana efficient, but a healing DoT just seems so lucrative. Even if there's some argument to Troll being better.
Also, with some underwater quests I feel like the benefits of unending breath is not to be underestimated and of course WotF is always a great racial. Even Cannibalize has its nice uses. More so, the class fantasy of an undead shadow priest.

AV

Priest for me but Race will depend on what my friends decide to play so we can party up early and roll on
If you're Alliance and not choosing Dwarf? Brave, because going to be a lot of pressure there, even if you don't really need that many dwarven priests in a raid from what I remember.

Ehh, they're not needed. Horde get by fine without fear ward and a good tank in 2019 can just stance dance.

But yes, in terms of PVE, Alliance priests go Dwarf > Human > Nelf. Dwarves for fear ward and humans for the +spirit.

However, if you're rolling on a PVP server, elves have shadowmeld which means you can hide near cliffs / the 1k needles elevator in stealth and mind control unsuspecting horde off them, which is one of the funnest things to do in the game.

I wonder what they'll do about tiall accounts. Hopefully they don't have them at all at first. At least until the initial rush is over.

Edit: trial not trail. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
Ehh, they're not needed. Horde get by fine without fear ward and a good tank in 2019 can just stance dance.

But yes, in terms of PVE, Alliance priests go Dwarf > Human > Nelf. Dwarves for fear ward and humans for the +spirit.

However, if you're rolling on a PVP server, elves have shadowmeld which means you can hide near cliffs / the 1k needles elevator in stealth and mind control unsuspecting horde off them, which is one of the funnest things to do in the game.

Shadowmeld MC would have to be fun as hell on a PVP server. Although, I'd imagine you'd go from KOS (kill on sight) to SAD(seek and destroy) with a quickness.

A gnome mage hiding in the bushes waiting to ambush peeps would be fun as well.

This is basically a bump to the top. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AV

AV

Official April 26th Update: Itemization in Classic WoW
Source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/itemization-in-wow-classic/160757

It’s been a lot of fun over the last couple of months to dive into the development of WoW Classic with the team, while trying to answer some of the many questions that have been posed here and elsewhere. Looking at the plans for a phased content release, unlocking dungeons and raids, and unlocking other systems, it’s clear that the aim is to create a progression experience that resembles the original arc from when WoW first launched. In thinking about what belongs in each of those phases, the team’s focus has always been on rewards.

Developers have scoured through vendor lists and treasure tables for items that were added in patches, and then attached them to the staged content unlock plan. This means that if a new item was originally added to a dungeon boss’s loot table with Ahn’Qiraj, you shouldn’t expect it to appear in WoW Classic until Phase 5, which is the phase that contains Ahn’Qiraj content.

Along the way, we’ve seen many questions asking if we’re also retracing the steps of incremental changes to individual items and their stats that may have occurred throughout original WoW. Such a plan could be called “progressive itemization.”

Here’s an example of progressive itemization. The Tier 2 warrior Helm of Wrath originally had Spirit and Agility on it, as well as critical strike chance. In Patch 1.5.0, the helm’s stat budget was changed to Stamina, Strength, and Defense, along with elemental resistances. Then in Patch 1.7.0, the amount of Defense on the helm was reduced. In Patch 1.8.0, the 5-piece set bonus that included the helm was fixed to work with Whirlwind, and in 1.9.0, it got a better look with an art update.

WoW Classic will only include that last version of the item, as it existed in our reference version: 1.12.

Of course, this raises the question “why?”. Why differentiate between adding new items along the way and making modifications to existing items?

When new items are added to loot tables, you’re generally seeing a deliberate effort to provide catch-up gear and/or to provide new goals for players who had exhausted an existing reward structure. For example, in original WoW, items were added to give players a way to quickly prepare for Ahn’Qiraj without having to spend months in Molten Core and Blackwing Lair.

The changing of existing items in patches often illustrated the original design team responding to how players played the game. Their primary goal at the time was to make rewards more relevant and exciting. Developers realizing that Spirit probably wasn’t an ideal stat for a warrior raid set helm* was an example of this sort of change.

Many class abilities and talents evolved similarly. For example, going into Patch 1.8.0, the game designers determined that Moonkin Form would be a more compelling 31-point Balance druid talent than the original selection of Hurricane.

It’s important to remember that there’s more to WoW Classic than a long series of changes. Even if each item change could be made, and even if every class change could be progressively recreated, that would still only constitute a piece of the overall landscape of original WoW. We remember how early raid progression was punctuated by unexpected roadblocks and workarounds:

• As far as we know, every one of the first Ragnaros kills was only possible due to a bug that made Lava Burst temporarily stop firing after a wipe.
  • Chromaggus was practically unbeatable due to Ignite Flesh unavoidably and lethally stacking on tanks, until it was discovered that Flamegor’s ramp in the laboratory allowed the entire raid to damage Chromaggus without being exposed to his breath attacks.
  • C’Thun was infamously seen as unkillable until a hotfix in April 2006 prevented additional tentacles from spawning while he was vulnerable.
Recreating, and then re-fixing every major progression-affecting bug wouldn’t account for what we think matters much more: the people playing the game. There were many unknowns in original WoW. The first guilds to reach Nefarian spent their initial pulls testing different ideas they had and trying to figure out what condition would get them past the first part of the fight (defeating 40 drakonids). That experience can’t be recreated, because the knowledge can’t be unlearned. For a long time after Patch 1.4.0 came out, many players simply had no idea how good Obsidian Edged Blade or Aged Core Leather Gloves were. The power of weapon skill will be no surprise in WoW Classic.

So rather than try to recreate a specific experience from 2005 that can never fully be recaptured, our aim has been to accurately and fully restore the original game’s mechanics and stats to their final and most polished state from before The Burning Crusade. That mission has been a pillar of WoW Classic’s design from its inception.

This means that while content will be unlocked progressively to allow for each raid tier to shine, systems such as class design, battleground mechanics, and stats on existing items will all be set to their final 1.12 conditions. That should take the pressure off players to be constantly figuring out what we might do next to remain exactly in line with how the game once played out, and we can all focus a little more on community building and enjoying the experience together.

-----

This is good news, in my eyes. It would be an absolute pain in the ass while gearing up to check not only if an item is an improvement on your current gear, but also whether what that item is going to turn into in a few months is going to be an upgrade. A lot of early game itemization was absolute garbage, such as the spirit warrior gear mentioned above. Weird itemization is, yes, kind of part of the funny history of WoW, but after the joke, it becomes a frustration. This is a great decision - phase out the actual content but keep the talents and gear as they were at their best.

I wish there was a release date. I plan to quit my job at the start of July. I remember back in vanilla WoW having REM dreams of mining and skinning. I never did reach the end of the game properly so this would be my redemption. Best I managed was lvl 40~ during TBC I think. Always rerolled, never had anyone to level with.

One thing that I always hated, "DO YOU SEE THIS QUEST? O YOU NEED TO DING FIRST". Having to move back to turn quests in felt like other people were slowing you down so in the normal world questing nobody wanted to play together that much. Mostly you went to an area with a lot of mobs for a quest, asked someone if they were doing the same, then invited them until for help you were ready to turn in and parted ways.

AV

I wish there was a release date. I plan to quit my job at the start of July. I remember back in vanilla WoW having REM dreams of mining and skinning. I never did reach the end of the game properly so this would be my redemption. Best I managed was lvl 40~ during TBC I think. Always rerolled, never had anyone to level with.
I'm selfishly hoping for a mid August release.

At this point August seems more realistic than July. In my eyes we're still waiting on the following information (reposted and expanded from earlier), though of course they can easily give us a date before any of this:
  • Beta date, length, invites etc. if anything
  • Final decision on sharding and things like dynamic respawns
  • Right-click reporting (needs to go)
  • Any pre-release server info including population caps, if RP-PVP is in at launch
  • Addons (which ones will be allowed)
  • Phase lengths
That's really it and some of those will likely be merged in multiple blue posts, or maybe don't warrant their own. I think if they were going to delay their "summer 2019" estimate they would have had to announce the delay by now, and at the same time Blizzard aren't going to set a date they can't keep.

It's coming. but oh god please i need it soon jesus christ help

I'm almost set on mage at this point, I want to go alliance as I was horde in vanilla, but I hate gnomes and that only leaves me with human.

You gnomophobe. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Humans aren't bad either tho. Perception can save your bacon against rogues at times. You can blink out of a lot of shit as well.

At this point August seems more realistic than July. In my eyes we're still waiting on the following information (reposted and expanded from earlier), though of course they can easily give us a date before any of this:
  • Beta date, length, invites etc. if anything
  • Final decision on sharding and things like dynamic respawns
  • Right-click reporting (needs to go)
  • Any pre-release server info including population caps, if RP-PVP is in at launch
  • Addons (which ones will be allowed)
  • Phase lengths
That's really it and some of those will likely be merged in multiple blue posts, or maybe don't warrant their own. I think if they were going to delay their "summer 2019" estimate they would have had to announce the delay by now, and at the same time Blizzard aren't going to set a date they can't keep.

It's coming. but oh god please i need it soon jesus christ help

I honestly hope they go with the 3k or so limit for servers. Dynamic respawns create problems as well such as Much faster black lotus spawn(6 vs 15 min) and respawn of mobs which can abused by certain classes. I think the record is like 3 days played for pserver vs almost 5 for vanilla.

AV

I honestly hope they go with the 3k or so limit for servers. Dynamic respawns create problems as well such as Much faster black lotus spawn(6 vs 15 min) and respawn of mobs which can abused by certain classes. I think the record is like 3 days played for pserver vs almost 5 for vanilla.

Yeah, 3-4k would be great with me. I'm really fascinated to see how the handle the servers in general. Ion Hazzikostas recently said the following:

To be clear, we have no philosophical opposition to setting up a Classic RP-PvP server. But our priority is making sure servers have long-term healthy populations, so we'll start with lean realmlists and expand as needed, just as the 2004 launch did.

Be interesting to see how "lean" they're thinking. I really hope they don't underestimate the amount of day one players.

P.S. wouldn't bump for the sake of it, might rub a mod the wrong way.

All this talk of WoW has been making me want to play it again, is Battle for Azeroth really that bad? I'm really tempted to pick it up and get back into the game

klosos

Just outta curiosity will you guys be organizing a NeoGaf Classic WOW guild ?

All this talk of WoW has been making me want to play it again, is Battle for Azeroth really that bad? I'm really tempted to pick it up and get back into the game

Well i havnt played WOW for 6+ years so i am not sure , However WOW as been my Brothers go to game since Burning crusade and he stopped playing after battle of Azeroth released because he hated it.

AV

I personally am just "maintaining" this thread - while a GAF guild could be fun, the organisation might not be, and my personal goals with the game don't fall in line with that. I don't want to be part of a community before the game's even out and then have to abandon that community because of raiding; in Vanilla I stayed with my friends and it was fun, but by TBC I was bored of not doing any real end-game content so had to abandon them to actually play more of the game.

If someone wants to step up to the plate then by all means. The problem is we're likely all on different timezones, might want to play different factions, and have no idea what the servers are going to look like yet.

klosos

I personally am just "maintaining" this thread - while a GAF guild could be fun, the organisation might not be, and my personal goals with the game don't fall in line with that. I don't want to be part of a community before the game's even out and then have to abandon that community because of raiding; in Vanilla I stayed with my friends and it was fun, but by TBC I was bored of not doing any real end-game content so had to abandon them to actually play more of the game.

If someone wants to step up to the plate then by all means. The problem is we're likely all on different timezones, might want to play different factions, and have no idea what the servers are going to look like yet.

Fair point , i didn't really think that through before asking

AV

Fair point , i didn't really think that through before asking
Nah it'd be great if someone wants to! Just personally not what I'm looking for and I don't know if I'd have time anyway.

klosos

Nah it'd be great if someone wants to! Just personally not what I'm looking for and I don't know if I'd have time anyway.

Ya maybe when its closer to going live , but lts still 3 months+ away .

I have played a bit of FF14 and most modern MMO's but i am just sick and tired of having my hand held through the game ,i think ill install Everquest P99 for some Old school goodness and grinding

I guess the problem is that it depends on what players you have, as there are NA and EU people on GAF. While I personally get tolerable 150 ms if I try to play on a US server, that might differ a lot. That's without considering the aussies. Best way would be to do a headcount of people that are intending to play Classic.

I'm EU and intending to play it and I'd consider playing a US server if that's where most GAF players are at.

I think the best we can hope for is a pact to roll on certain servers. I also thought a gaf guild would be good. Until I saw the logistics.

AV

Relatively minor update, but an update nonetheless: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/how-many-characters-can-we-create-in-classic/163599/23

In WoW Classic, you’ll have the following character limits per WoW account:
  • A maximum of 10 characters per WoW Classic realm
  • A maximum of 50 characters across all of the WoW Classic realms in your region
  • Only one faction per realm on PvP realms
  • No overlap or regard with the character limits in Battle for Azeroth
You’ll be able to have up to 50 Battle for Azeroth characters and up to 50 WoW Classic characters at the same time.

I guess the problem is that it depends on what players you have, as there are NA and EU people on GAF. While I personally get tolerable 150 ms if I try to play on a US server, that might differ a lot. That's without considering the aussies. Best way would be to do a headcount of people that are intending to play Classic.

I'm EU and intending to play it and I'd consider playing a US server if that's where most GAF players are at.

I would just get a group of EU players to roll on the same server. I'm not expecting EU players to roll on NA servers and vice versa.

It should just a friends list of players. We can still get a leg up on most players. Yes, the organized guilds will be higher on the list, but we can gain some advantage.

After that, meh.

Edit: Clarifying what I said a couple posts up.

Last edited:

Onikaan

Well my group of friends have started arguing about whether we're going to roll Pvp or PvE.

I wanted to go Pvp because that's all I ever knew back in Vanilla. I had a blast but I also have PTSD from Strangle thorn leveling. So I can see both sides...

Any compelling arguments for either?

kobba

Neo Member
Always been on a PvP server. That's half the fun. WPvP was awesome. I agree, STV leveling gives me nightmares. But that's not going to stop me. Bring it on!

AV

Well my group of friends have started arguing about whether we're going to roll Pvp or PvE.

I wanted to go Pvp because that's all I ever knew back in Vanilla. I had a blast but I also have PTSD from Strangle thorn leveling. So I can see both sides...

Depends on a few things, namely how much you're going to be playing, how close to launch, and what class. If you're one of the first hunters on the server to reach STV it's going to be smooth sailing; rolling a warrior main? Different story. Also, there's no honor for the first few months, so there's less incentive to do all that initially.

PVE is far more relaxing, but isn't the full experience IMO.

Depends on a few things, namely how much you're going to be playing, how close to launch, and what class. If you're one of the first hunters on the server to reach STV it's going to be smooth sailing; rolling a warrior main? Different story. Also, there's no honor for the first few months, so there's less incentive to do all that initially.

PVE is far more relaxing, but isn't the full experience IMO.

The wpvp will be limited to fighting over nodes and quest mobs until phase 3. Then it will become a bloodbath.

For pvp servers that is.

Last edited:
if you're wondering who the asshole shadow priest is in stv mind controlling you off the boat and corpse camping you

well, that's me

I'm sure there will be you assholes around. :messenger_grinning_smiling: That's one of the main reasons I'll stick to a pve server.

Although it's tempting to do that myself. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
what we used to do, and it's pretty fucked up

me and another priest would mc someone off the boat, give them levitate, then move them to the old world spawn

basically a 15 minute walk to the corpse, and then another 15 minute swim back to land

and then we'd do it again

and again

and again

until they called for back up or quit

tenor.gif

Last edited:

I never play a PvE server. Hardcore ganking was never as bad in my experience, even in STV, and my solution if it got bad (and rallying people in chat didn't work), was to either log off and do something else or just log onto another character in the meanwhile. That said, I leveled during 1.6, so can't speak for the leveling experience at launch. Also, as mentioned there's no honor in the beginning and dedicated people will want to avoid PvP if they intend to rush to lvl 60.
Losing all the great experiences in PvP, the sense of faction rivalry and being restricted in terms of who you can engage in PvP against. Not worth it in my opinion. Only case for it as I see it is people that don't like/want PvP at all or RP realms.

rolling a warrior main? Different story.

Huh? Lvl 30 you have Berserker Stance, you can get Whirlwind Axe and at lvl 36 you get Whirlwind and you're also getting Mortal Strike at 40 (STV still relevant). You've also gotten a good deal of good gear if you do some dungeons and filled up most of your missing slots. I always felt the struggle as warrior was before lvl 30.
Now, leveling dual wielding warrior, now that's hell. That's what I did on my first character and it ended up causing my to reroll a shaman and get it to lvl 60 first instead.

Top Bottom