• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

I wouldn't blame you. They are being very cheap on the EU servers. So the Oceanic server seemed legit.

I hope it isn't true. Y'all don't deserve 200~ ping.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I remember gold being sold online on ebay. I wonder if Classic will bring back the conditions that made such a thing possible.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Useless warning, but don't go the classic WoW sub-Reddit. I don't use Reddit in general because it's AIDS, but I did want somewhere to discuss WoW Classic some more, so I tried that for a bit.

I have never seen posts so retarded, so unbelievably and inconceivably stupid grandstanding as genius. The same handful of "solutions" to layering posted every day as if they're the first person to come up with them, which create more problems than they solve. I can't handle it.

Meted

Useless warning, but don't go the classic WoW sub-Reddit. I don't use Reddit in general because it's AIDS, but I did want somewhere to discuss WoW Classic some more, so I tried that for a bit.

I have never seen posts so retarded, so unbelievably and inconceivably stupid grandstanding as genius. The same handful of "solutions" to layering posted every day as if they're the first person to come up with them, which create more problems than they solve. I can't handle it.
Gaf has it's problems, but any forum that doesn't have some kind of wall to filter out the idiots, (like a long wait period before you can be a member, e.g. Gaf) is going to be so much harder to find proper information, the amount of useless speculation and asking of the same questions is painful

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Important update: EU will now get dedicated French and German servers after backlash from basically everybody: https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/french-and-german-realms-for-wow-classic/60051

Thank god. I love you lot across the channel but it's completely unfair to force those whose first language isn't English in with a bunch of people who are guaranteed to know no French/German.

Now, the Spanish on the other hand...

AV

Even more important updates!

1. The WoW closed beta will end July 12th. No 40-60+ content testing, they're doing it all internally.
2. The final stress test will be a global test on July 25th which will utilise region-specific servers and apparently offer "many more testers" the ability to level up for a day.
3. Oceanic Realms officially confirmed! All you aussies and kiwis need worry no longer.
4. Melee leeway is working as intended.
5. The posts linked also confirm that servers will be named before the 3x character name reservation day on August 12th.

My hype has reach critical mass. Just need to stay focused on other games for 50 or so more days before they get replaced with the best one.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I remember gold being sold online on ebay. I wonder if Classic will bring back the conditions that made such a thing possible.
Well i do remember how earning gold was super hard, especially for the end game epic mount. Even after months of slowly leveling my char up to 60, i had less than half of the amount. I had to literally work long hours ingame for a few days to sell my prof stuff in AH while borrowing some money from a couple of guild members to get it early since i could work faster with the epic mount and give the money back earlier.

AV

Well i do remember how earning gold was super hard, especially for the end game epic mount. Even after months of slowly leveling my char up to 60, i had less than half of the amount. I had to literally work long hours ingame for a few days to sell my prof stuff in AH while borrowing some money from a couple of guild members to get it early since i could work faster with the epic mount and give the money back earlier.

A big difference now is that everyone knows all the best money making methods thanks to endless YouTube tutorials, and also know what NOT to spend money on on the way to 60 (useless abilities, gear etc. ). Should make it a little easier getting there.

Makes me laugh that some people still think their Warlock or Paladin is getting a free epic mount.

Meted

A big difference now is that everyone knows all the best money making methods thanks to endless YouTube tutorials, and also know what NOT to spend money on on the way to 60 (useless abilities, gear etc. ). Should make it a little easier getting there.

Makes me laugh that some people still think their Warlock or Paladin is getting a free epic mount.
Was it ever a free epic mount?

AV

Was it ever a free epic mount?

No, exactly. They hear "Warlocks and Paladins just have to do a quest chain!" without realising they still have to sink hundreds of gold into the mats. Not only that but Dire Maul isn't even out for months, so they can't get them straight away anyway.

Xyphie

I actually bought the regular mount on my warlock because the mana cost of the Dreadsteed was so annoying. Wowhead says 150 mana in 1.12 and patch notes say they lowered it in 1.9 (AQ patch). Anyone know how much it was before? My memory says it was like 20-25% of my mana pool.

I actually bought the regular mount on my warlock because the mana cost of the Dreadsteed was so annoying. Wowhead says 150 mana in 1.12 and patch notes say they lowered it in 1.9 (AQ patch). Anyone know how much it was before? My memory says it was like 20-25% of my mana pool.

Not to mention you can be kicked or counterspelled and get locked out of casting in that tree. You're also advertising a free kill to every warrior within 50 yards. I would take the dirt cheap lv 40 mount for a short time until I could pay for it easily. I wouldn't even bother with the epic mount.

AV

As mentioned above, I've been reading The WoW Diary by John Staats, one of the original level designers. Found this last night; one of the earliest versions of a stitched-together Azeroth, circa 2001. Some zones and dungeons that didn't make it in for years, some that didn't make it in at all.

fjLNec9.png

Last edited:

AV

Dire maul is on the wrong continent or am I drunk?

I really need WoW back :'(

Yep, it was originally on the other side. Tons of other neat tidbits in this book, like the fact that SFK was originally going to be an "undead newbie dungeon", Taurens were also going to get one which would have a "wild west feel"... Man, get this book, it's expensive but it'll keep you going until release.

48.5 days, buddy. Hang in there.

Robin64

Yep, it was originally on the other side. Tons of other neat tidbits in this book, like the fact that SFK was originally going to be an "undead newbie dungeon", Taurens were also going to get one which would have a "wild west feel"... Man, get this book, it's expensive but it'll keep you going until release.

One of the few things I have ever Kickstarted and so glad I did. Absolute gem of a book, one of the best gaming books of all time frankly.

Vaguely WoW related, anyone else seen the recent WoW community drama with Taliesin going on a ridiculous rant against Asmongold?

Helios

Vaguely WoW related, anyone else seen the recent WoW community drama with Taliesin going on a ridiculous rant against Asmongold?

I've only seen the outrage on twitter since I can't stand these "X reacts to Y reacting to whatever" videos but that Taliesin seems like a little bitch. That or he just wants the attention. I've never even heard of him until now.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've only seen the outrage on twitter since I can't stand these "X reacts to Y reacting to whatever" videos but that Taliesin seems like a little bitch. That or he just wants the attention. I've never even heard of him until now.

He is just a dude that enjoys Warcraft. He is the optimist to Asmongold's pessimist.

AV

He is just a dude that enjoys Warcraft. He is the optimist to Asmongold's pessimist.

I watched a tiny bit of that lame drama stuff. Guy's completely full of shit. Rambles on about "never punching down" and proceeds to insult one of his viewers in the very next sentence. psst, that's punching down too, dumbass

It's gonna be interesting watching all the streamers' viewer counts getting cut in half after Classic is released - the beta gave them all a huge boost. I've actually kind of enjoyed watching some of them, but only because I haven't actually got access to the game. I still cannot understand the appeal in watching these guys permanently for the sake of watching them, spamming emotes and bad in-jokes in the chat in order to feel included. POGS IN THE CHAT!!! It's just really alien to me.

Tesseract

Banned
the great power great responsibility thing is the pits

when did influencer take off as a noun in the zeitgeist, seeing it more and more

Malakhov

Banned
Alright I completely forgot about this, this is my WoW come back after almost 10 years cept a few tries here and there. I need to catch up on this, will it be exactly the same as day one WoW in the 2000s?

Also, will there be a neogaf guild? Thatd be great

Last edited:
They are both dick heads but I'd say this Tali.. I do not know how you spell his name, anyway he's the bigger dickhead here.

This wait is fucking killing me :'(

Who's from the UK and signing up to RP server? fuck PVP i'm to old to have the time for that shit.

Meted

Alright I completely forgot about this, this is my WoW come back after almost 10 years cept a few tries here and there. I need to catch up on this, will it be exactly the same as day one WoW in the 2000s?

it's supposed to be the same down to certain quest markers not showing up due to bugs, so for better and worse it's going to be the same. Apart from layering (pretty much limiting how many players are in one area at a time to stop overpopulation) it's standard classic WoW. Also i asked earlier and no one said they were doing a Gaf guild

AV

It's as close as you're realistically going to get in 2019. Private servers have just been making educated guesses at how the game is supposed to behave, but they've all gotten it wrong as demonstrated by the Classic beta - Blizzard has a 1.12 version of the client running internally they can compare with to make sure the game is pretty spot-on. Blizzard are the only people with the actual database of values from 2004-6.

Classic will run on 1.12 data, so, for the most part, everything in the game will behave as it would in 2006 before TBC launched. However, they're staggering certain things out like this:

Phase 1 (Classic Launch)
  • Molten Core
  • Onyxia
  • Maraudon
Phase 2
  • Dire Maul
  • Azuregos
  • Kazzak
  • Honor System (including Dishonorable Kills)
  • PvP Rank Rewards
Phase 3
  • Blackwing Lair
  • Darkmoon Faire
  • Darkmoon deck drops begin
  • Alterac Valley
  • Warsong Gulch
Phase 4
  • Zul’Gurub
  • Green Dragons
  • Arathi Basin
Phase 5
  • Ahn’Qiraj War Effort begins
  • Ahn’Qiraj raids open when the war effort dictates
  • Dungeon loot reconfiguration: Tier 0.5 Dungeon gear, Relics, drop rates and location changes
Phase 6
  • Naxxramas
  • Scourge Invasion
  • World PvP objectives in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands

We don't know yet how long each phase will be. It's reasonable to imagine phase 1 will be the longest while everyone gets to 60 and that phase 2 probably won't launch until the start of 2020.

No NeoGAF guild as of yet. They're releasing the server list pretty soon so that people can start organising guilds ahead of time, if anyone here wants to do so.

Malakhov

Banned
it's supposed to be the same down to certain quest markers not showing up due to bugs, so for better and worse it's going to be the same. Apart from layering (pretty much limiting how many players are in one area at a time to stop overpopulation) it's standard classic WoW. Also i asked earlier and no one said they were doing a Gaf guild
It's as close as you're realistically going to get in 2019. Private servers have just been making educated guesses at how the game is supposed to behave, but they've all gotten it wrong as demonstrated by the Classic beta - Blizzard has a 1.12 version of the client running internally they can compare with to make sure the game is pretty spot-on. Blizzard are the only people with the actual database of values from 2004-6.

Classic will run on 1.12 data, so, for the most part, everything in the game will behave as it would in 2006 before TBC launched. However, they're staggering certain things out like this:

Phase 1 (Classic Launch)
  • Molten Core
  • Onyxia
  • Maraudon
Phase 2
  • Dire Maul
  • Azuregos
  • Kazzak
  • Honor System (including Dishonorable Kills)
  • PvP Rank Rewards
Phase 3
  • Blackwing Lair
  • Darkmoon Faire
  • Darkmoon deck drops begin
  • Alterac Valley
  • Warsong Gulch
Phase 4
  • Zul’Gurub
  • Green Dragons
  • Arathi Basin
Phase 5
  • Ahn’Qiraj War Effort begins
  • Ahn’Qiraj raids open when the war effort dictates
  • Dungeon loot reconfiguration: Tier 0.5 Dungeon gear, Relics, drop rates and location changes
Phase 6
  • Naxxramas
  • Scourge Invasion
  • World PvP objectives in Silithus and Eastern Plaguelands

We don't know yet how long each phase will be. It's reasonable to imagine phase 1 will be the longest while everyone gets to 60 and that phase 2 probably won't launch until the start of 2020.

No NeoGAF guild as of yet. They're releasing the server list pretty soon so that people can start organising guilds ahead of time, if anyone here wants to do so.
Thanks for the info guys. A GAF guild would be great, hope there is one.

Thanks for the info guys. A GAF guild would be great, hope there is one.

Don't think there will be one. Too many people from too many different time zones, plus different goals.

Best thing we can hope for is people from the same timezones rolling on the same server and putting each other on FL.

Last edited:
Just resubscribed, mostly to be done with getting flying, as I won't do it when Classic comes out.

Nazjatar looks the best, although still not at the level of Vashj'ir or Suramar and feels a bit underwhelming considering it's supposed to be Nazjatar. Questing there feels terrible and I don't feel any need to explore or anything. Just doing the daily quests every day.
Mechagon on the other hand, looks like shit, but it's surprisingly more comfortable and fun to quest in, especially with the many gadgets and other things it gives you. Much better to travel around in compared to Nazjatar, which feels like an overfilled mess, without much interesting things found in the area. Getting the rocket pack is also fun.

Most classes feel like shit though and I miss how a lot of classes felt like during WotLK, as well as the customization that existed back then. Looking forward to playing a shaman again in Classic and a few other classes as well, as a lot of rpg elements and class fantasy were really at the center back then. PvP, outside the lack of arena, was also in a lot of ways better back then. Nowadays the difference between someone max lvl and someone sub-max level is so ridiculously big. While on private servers I've managed to wreck a (bad) max lvl warrior with arcanite reaper, while I was using greens and being lvl 58 warrior, thanks to cleverly disarming him at the right moment and using Recklessness. HP/DMG ratios were so much better back then.

Also, if a GAF guild is established, I'd have no problem playing on an US server, even though I'm EU.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Don't think there will be one. Too many people from too many different time zones, plus different goals.

Best thing we can hope for is people from the same timezones rolling on the same server and putting each other on FL.
yeah i suppose, id like to find a few in the same time zone.

Poordevil

Found my World of Warcraft offical strategy guide! A little rough around the edges and showing some wear, but all 431 pages are intact and readable.

Whew, this game is a monster! Starting this game is like taking vows, a real commitment...

Played for 9 months after launch. It was my first ever MMO. Enjoyed it for the time I played it, but never went back to it. So vanilla is all I have ever known. I might give it another go, or I might be content browsing through the strategy guide.

AV

Final stress test date and minimum specs announced! Final stress test will start Thursday August 8th 11:00 AM PDT and will run through Friday. Anyone with an active subscription can play during that time.

Don't forget that the character name reservation is on Monday August 12th for active subscribers, if you wanna get in early and secure your favourite character names, I'd recommend doing that. They did announce previously that server lists would be going on before name reservation so I'd expect server lists in the next week.

Source: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/w...-00-a-m-pdt-august-8-and-minimum-specs/239621

---

Our global pre-launch test of WoW Classic will begin on Thursday, August 8 at 11:00 a.m. PDT and is scheduled to end on Friday, August 9. This test will be available to all World of Warcraft players with a current subscription or active game time in all regions. The maximum character level will be 15.

We ask that players please log-in and play as much as possible during the first two hours of the test – 11:00 a.m. PDT to 1:00 p.m. PDT, as that is when we’ll be actively monitoring for issues important to launch.

WoW Classic is now ready for all players to install from the Blizzard Battle.net 179 Desktop App in advance of the test. To install WoW Classic:

1. Open the Blizzard Battle.net 179 Desktop App and select World of Warcraft in the game selection menu on the left.
  2. Under the Version dropdown menu, select World of Warcraft Classic. If you have more than one World of Warcraft account, you’ll see a second dropdown for Account. In that column, select the active account to associate with your WoW Classic install.
  3. Click the Install button. You’ll see an installation progress bar that will show you when the installation is complete.
Minimum Specs

We’ve finalized the minimum specifications required to play WoW Classic on PC or Mac. Please note that these are much lower than the minimum specs required to play Battle for Azeroth. Recommended specs are the same for both.

In our hardware testing, we found that we were able to successfully run WoW Classic on systems manufactured and released in the 2007-2009 timeframe, and thanks to improvements in how we build and distribute game data, the hard drive space requirements are actually smaller than they were in version 1.12 of original WoW.

llien

Guys, could we start by sharing timezones in which we are, perhaps there are enough people for GAF guild?

llien - UTC+1 (Germany, at the moment it is +2, summer time)

Last edited:

AV

Also, /r/classicwow (forgive me, it's the only sub I've ever frequented and I can stop soon) are running a census. Gives you a rough idea of how the population is going to shake out given that there's been 13,700 respondents at the time of posting this:

AV

Guys, could we start by sharing timezones in which we are, perhaps there are enough people for GAF guild?

llien - UTC+1 (Germany, at the moment it is +2, summer time)

UTC + 1. I've already joined a raiding guild based on their raiding days/times so my server will be fixed once they decide it, but I'll post here in case others are on the same server. Will be PVP Horde.

buizel

Banned

That Asmongold makes me sick to my stomach. Everything he and his followers dude, so damn toxic.

His is such a hypocritical cry baby, and when he gets called out he gets so damn defensive and insults others
.He seems like a proper sociopath.

AV

That Asmongold makes me sick to my stomach. Everything he and his followers dude, so damn toxic.
His is such a hypocritical cry baby, and when he gets called out he gets so damn defensive and insults others
.He seems like a proper sociopath.

You've fallen into the trap of "followers" being a hivemind. It's not. He has nearly one million followers. You can't just categorise a million people because of who they watch on a game streaming website. He wasn't called out, the other guy threw an unreasonable shitfit because he expects Asmongold to be responsible for the actions of every single viewer in his chat. He's never once actually directed followers to do anything hurtful as far as I've seen, no evidence was ever presented.

I'm not even really a fan of the guy, Twitch is garbage, but let's not be dishonest here.

AV

3 more weeks brothers. How we hanging in there? Anyone chewed their fingernails completely off in anticipation? How're you handling the wait?

Will probably contact a mod about closing this thread near release and I'll start a new OT.

Meted

3 more weeks brothers. How we hanging in there? Anyone chewed their fingernails completely off in anticipation? How're you handling the wait?

Will probably contact a mod about closing this thread near release and I'll start a new OT.
My brother is planning on hitting 60 within the first week, and i am roped in to help 2 man most of the way there. Should be fun, it we don't die from lack of sleep

AV

My brother is planning on hitting 60 within the first week, and i am roped in to help 2 man most of the way there. Should be fun, it we don't die from lack of sleep

That's definitely an eat-sleep-WoW schedule. What classes are you playing?

Skyr

Playing the open beta in 2004 was my only contact with wow so far.
It’s weird but I still remember the starting area of the orcs vividly like it was yesterday.
Might try this just for the lulz.

Meted

That's definitely an eat-sleep-WoW schedule. What classes are you playing?
He's going warrior (what he mained since the beggining) and im going warlock (something i have very little experience with but like the idea of)

Top Bottom