• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
He's going warrior (what he mained since the beggining) and im going warlock (something i have very little experience with but like the idea of)

Fair enough, should be pretty good once you can get your voidwalker and your brother can just wail on things with little aggro. Definitely not the most "ideal" duo of classes so godspeed in getting that week 1 60, it's going to be a shitshow for the first 1-2 days!

Meted

Fair enough, should be pretty good once you can get your voidwalker and your brother can just wail on things with little aggro. Definitely not the most "ideal" duo of classes so godspeed in getting that week 1 60, it's going to be a shitshow for the first 1-2 days!
I was going to go rogue but he convinced me to change to lock, if only i could convince him to play something other than a warrior, those dudes are rough for the early game

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I was going to go rogue but he convinced me to change to lock, if only i could convince him to play something other than a warrior, those dudes are rough for the early game

If he's adamant on playing warrior I'd suggest priest for you personally.

+ Heals for days, can duo some group quests with a warrior
+ Wand spec which is completely broken and does a ton of damage for no mana, spirit tap means you'll have very little downtime
+ Just horribly good in PVP, mind control is the most fun ability in the game and with a pocket warrior you will be unstoppable in BGs
+ Instant dungeon groups since all you two will need is 3 DPS
+ Free raid slots as Holy, most non-hardcore guilds will also take Shadow
+ One of the only classes to actually use tier 1 and 2 as their BiS gear, and it looks great

Priests are awesome in vanilla, but obviously the above is of no use if you're not interested in playing one. Just something to consider if your brother won't change his mind.

Meted

If he's adamant on playing warrior I'd suggest priest for you personally.

+ Heals for days, can duo some group quests with a warrior
+ Wand spec which is completely broken and does a ton of damage for no mana, spirit tap means you'll have very little downtime
+ Just horribly good in PVP, mind control is the most fun ability in the game and with a pocket warrior you will be unstoppable in BGs
+ Instant dungeon groups since all you two will need is 3 DPS
+ Free raid slots as Holy, most non-hardcore guilds will also take Shadow
+ One of the only classes to actually use tier 1 and 2 as their BiS gear, and it looks great

Priests are awesome in vanilla, but obviously the above is of no use if you're not interested in playing one. Just something to consider if your brother won't change his mind.
We tried some classic servers and i gravitated towards rogue or warlock rather than the others (i originally played a pally so i don't really want to be another healer), plus we feel that duoing most of the game is more than enough of a boost to most other people soloing/ trying to find groups for specific quests. Plus i can summon an infernal, so that's dope

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: AV

llien

Would you mind to elaborate? I played WoW from Vanilla (and some beta) mostly as priest, recall using wand for DPS, but overal my experience was pretty crappy as dmg output was pathetic overall, compared to DPS classes. Palladins, in contrast, felt like imba.

In groups, yes. It was mostly pain when not.

Last edited:

AV

Would you mind to elaborate? I played WoW from Vanilla (and some beta) mostly as priest, recall using wand for DPS, but overal my experience was pretty crappy as dmg output was pathetic overall, compared to DPS classes. Palladins, in contrast, felt like imba.

In groups, yes. It was mostly pain when not.

5/5 wand spec talent for a 25% increase in wand damage, 5/5 spirit tap talent for a 100% bonus to spirit after killing a mob, and for 15 seconds will even regen at 50% while casting. Get a new wand whenever possible and then basically Shadow Word: Pain > Mind Blast > Power Word: Shield > wand.

Back in the day not many priests played like this and leveling using your base spells and more "obvious" talents was pretty painful. Now priest is considered one of the fastest levelers in the game because there's such little downtime between pulls due to spirit tap and wands are so utterly broken when you consider the damage they do for zero mana.

llien

Back in the day not many priests played like this and leveling using your base spells and more "obvious" talents was pretty painful. Now priest is considered one of the fastest levelers in the game because there's such little downtime between pulls due to spirit tap and wands are so utterly broken when you consider the damage they do for zero mana.
Tap was there, but they buffed it a bit, I guess.

The itch to return and try it intensifies.

AV

Tap was there, but they buffed it a bit, I guess.

The itch to return and try it intensifies.

Most likely, especially if you were a beta player, pretty much everything was buffed at some point between launch and 1.12.

I'd definitely sign up to give it another go, priests are one of the absolute best classes in Classic and fun as hell to play. I recently healed DM on a private server as a level 16 with a few greens, was intense and really enjoyable.

Malakhov

Banned
Installing the game, i'd have to activate the account just to play the stress test for a day which is kind of a bummer.

AV

Installing the game, i'd have to activate the account just to play the stress test for a day which is kind of a bummer.

And for 3x name reservation on Monday. If you're gonna be subbing for launch anyway those two things will only cost you what, $9 or less? I could play $9 worth of WoW in that stress test day. You don't have to do either of course, just depends how badly you want your character names.

It did feel really weird buying a 6 month sub. Been a long ass time since I've done that. Which reminds me, I should really check my retail account and see how many tokens I can buy with whatever gold I have left...

Malakhov

Banned
And for 3x name reservation on Monday. If you're gonna be subbing for launch anyway those two things will only cost you what, $9 or less? I could play $9 worth of WoW in that stress test day. You don't have to do either of course, just depends how badly you want your character names.

It did feel really weird buying a 6 month sub. Been a long ass time since I've done that. Which reminds me, I should really check my retail account and see how many tokens I can buy with whatever gold I have left...
I dont really care about reserving my character name and the monthly subscription is 18.99$CAD up here lol

scrob6

Banned
I kind of want to play this, but then I think about all of the quality of life improvements that have happened since then, how little there was to actually do at max level, etc., and I wonder if it's 100% nostalgia and nothing else.

Malakhov

Banned
I kind of want to play this, but then I think about all of the quality of life improvements that have happened since then, how little there was to actually do at max level, etc., and I wonder if it's 100% nostalgia and nothing else.
It is nostalgia, it will be a freaking grind but I want that back. Nowadays it's too freaking easy.

Onikaan

It's not nostalgia, certainly not for me.
I've played vanilla through to Cata and gave up not long after release. I've played on private vanilla servers multiple times, but unfortunately you can't invest and you will eventually lose months of work due to shut downs.

I'm excited to finally play my favourite version of WoW with Blizzards blessing and progression security.

Malakhov

Banned
Depends for everyone I guess, for me it is definitely nostalgia and the need to get a challenge back in the game.

dirthead

Banned
It is nostalgia, it will be a freaking grind but I want that back. Nowadays it's too freaking easy.

The modern game is far more difficult than vanilla ever was. I ran Naxx in 2006 and I don't think I could do Mythic raiding unless I actually seriously spent some time on it and upped my game.

Malakhov

Banned
The modern game is far more difficult than vanilla ever was. I ran Naxx in 2006 and I don't think I could do Mythic raiding unless I actually seriously spent some time on it and upped my game.
The endgame is, not the game in general and with two young kids as a single parent I don't have time for the endgame ;)

Last edited:

Meted

Tried a warlock on current till level 10, could tank multiple dudes at once and never went below 75% mana in top of only have 3 maybe 4 abilities till I hit 10 or so, whereas vanilla I use 4 or so shadow bolts at level one and I'm out of mana. Current was so boring

llien

Well, a bit of nostalgia, but also unfinished business.
I cleared ZG, MC, BWL, AQ20, but not AQ40 and nor Naxx.

The modern game is far more difficult than vanilla ever was.
But Vanilla was 40 men, which naturally makes everything more difficult.
UI got more sophisticated since then, warning messages are now even part of the standard UI, endless youtube videos on how to do this and that, people got better overall as well though

Last edited:

llien

A review:

I actually quite enjoyed "killing bandits" back then. Felt epic.

Last edited:

AV

Mythic raiding is far, far harder, but that's it. The rest of the game is an on-rails theme park ride, not an MMORPG. I healed DM on a private recently as a level 16 priest and it was probably more fun/intense than any dungeon I've ran in retail since those original Cata dungeons pre-nerf.

Is there a list of goodies that made it into Classic? E.g. summoning stones?

Basically nothing that wasn't there in 2006, gameplay wise, so summoning stones will do nothing. There's a few tiny QOL things (shift click on mail to retrieve items) and some under-the-hood stuff (colourblind mode) but that's basically it.

gifgaf

I healed DM on a private recently as a level 16 priest and it was probably more fun/intense than any dungeon I've ran in retail since those original Cata dungeons pre-nerf.
This exact thing is what makes classic exciting. Recent expansions have taken away the soul of an MMORPG and the fun I used to have just fucking about is what made WoW so addicting for me.

Last edited:
The endgame is, not the game in general and with two young kids as a single parent I don't have time for the endgame ;)
I think this thread gives a wrong impression. Most Classic WoW players will probably only do quests. Mostly alone, just teaming up for the occasional Elite mob when necessary.

That's what I'm going to do and I'm looking really forward to it. Finally after more than a decade leveling will be challenging and fun again.

mcz117chief

I think this thread gives a wrong impression. Most Classic WoW players will probably only do quests. Mostly alone, just teaming up for the occasional Elite mob when necessary.
How is that any different from how it is now? I tried WoW recently and I just did quests, mostly alone, and only teamed up for a stronger enemy mob.

cormack12

Gold Member
Blizaa have reopened the equivalent of freinds reunited for classic

dirthead

Banned
Mythic raiding is far, far harder, but that's it. The rest of the game is an on-rails theme park ride, not an MMORPG. I healed DM on a private recently as a level 16 priest and it was probably more fun/intense than any dungeon I've ran in retail since those original Cata dungeons pre-nerf.

Basically nothing that wasn't there in 2006, gameplay wise, so summoning stones will do nothing. There's a few tiny QOL things (shift click on mail to retrieve items) and some under-the-hood stuff (colourblind mode) but that's basically it.

It's not just mythic raiding. Even high level mythic+ is far more challenging than anything in the original.

Tesseract

Banned
It's not just mythic raiding. Even high level mythic+ is far more challenging than anything in the original.

whole mythic system as it's been explained to me is far more interesting than anything classic is doing

i wish we had that back in burning crusade, i'd probably still be around

We tried some classic servers and i gravitated towards rogue or warlock rather than the others (i originally played a pally so i don't really want to be another healer), plus we feel that duoing most of the game is more than enough of a boost to most other people soloing/ trying to find groups for specific quests. Plus i can summon an infernal, so that's dope
Can never go wrong with a lock - was always one of my favorites, but a priest is more versatile. If I wasn't married and the father of a 2 year old id be back for original wow right now. Perhaps one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life. You could also go druid and occasionally tank things.

AV

How is that any different from how it is now? I tried WoW recently and I just did quests, mostly alone, and only teamed up for a stronger enemy mob.

I guess, I did some keystone stuff in Legion and it was pretty fun. But mythic+ dungeons and mythic raiding are supposed to be the hardest content on offer for those that want it, whereas in Vanilla the mindset was more "everything is rough". Leveling in retail is an absolutely joke, you're basically cannot die unless you really fuck up, you're ferried between quests hubs in a boring linear fashion designed to get you to "the real game" as fast as possible. Seems to be unanimous among the current retail players that everything not at max level is garbage and no-one wants to do it, even leveling 110-120 in the current expansion is supposedly not fun.

Vanilla is way more about the journey. It takes way longer to get to max level and from level 10 onwards, you get a talent point every level to slightly improve your character, new skills every 2 levels that you have to actually go and learn and spend precious gold on. General moment-to-moment combat is harder across the board and if you pull 3 mobs you're probably dead. You don't get a mount until level 40 and it'll cost you most of what you've earned, so it's a way better feeling. You don't have to team up with anyone if you're an oddball that plays MMOs alone, but there's absolutely no way you can solo some of the elite quests while they're still worth doing. On retail that's not been the case for a long time as far as I remember. People actually communicate about what's happening ("defias messenger is at moonbrook"), people buff one another and save their lives if they're in a pinch, conversely people fight over mobs and chests and find clever ways to fuck one another over. Getting a group together for a dungeon requires you to actually talk to other people and journey to the dungeon together as a team, rather than just pressing a queue button and going into autopilot. Retail no longer has PVP servers which is hilarious as it removes one of the most fundamental aspects of the game for many people. And so on, and so on.

Maybe people have had better retail experiences than me but I played through WoD and Legion and it might as well have been a single player game until the dungeons and raids. "It's the same with no heirlooms" is horseshit, it's an entirely different game.

mcz117chief

It's basically impossible to die and you can easily beat any "Elite" mob alone.
You know I literally said "I tried WoW recently" so I know that you can die pretty easily if you are not careful and agro 3 or more mooks of the same lvl as you or just one if he is a couple levels above you. I died plenty in that game by not being careful.

Dinnell

AV

You know I literally said "I tried WoW recently" so I know that you can die pretty easily if you are not careful and agro 3 or more mooks of the same lvl as you or just one if he is a couple levels above you. I died plenty in that game by not being careful.

I'm not sure how - when I played through WoD and Legion levelling content the game was just "round up 5-6 things and nuke them down". Low end levelling might not be that severe but I tried levelling a warrior on retail recently and it's a joke compared to Classic. It also seems far easier in Classic to accidentally aggro stuff around you.

It's not that "difficult = good", it's just that retail is so hard to mess up in comparison that you rarely ever feel like you're actually in any danger and it gets super old super fast. It's why everyone in retail hates levelling, it's just a chore designed to push you to current content as fast as possible.

Meted

Can never go wrong with a lock - was always one of my favorites, but a priest is more versatile. If I wasn't married and the father of a 2 year old id be back for original wow right now. Perhaps one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life. You could also go druid and occasionally tank things.
Got a druid to around 30 back in the day so i would rather try something new

Hmm...sounds good. It's been 2 years since I've played the last time. So maybe they've really improved this in the meantime.
Gonna give the current version a try when I activate my subscription to secure 3 names for Classic.

AV

Hmm...sounds good. It's been 2 years since I've played the last time. So maybe they've really improved this in the meantime.
Gonna give the current version a try when I activate my subscription to secure 3 names for Classic.

You can play retail for free up to level 20 if you wanted to try before that, IIRC. I think you'll find it's not as he described.

You can play retail for free up to level 20 if you wanted to try before that, IIRC. I think you'll find it's not as he described.
Well, certainly not as challenging as Classic.
I'm going to secure the 3 names anyway so I can play retail with my real account until Classic opens.

Helios

I'm not sure how - when I played through WoD and Legion levelling content the game was just "round up 5-6 things and nuke them down". Low end levelling might not be that severe but I tried levelling a warrior on retail recently and it's a joke compared to Classic. It also seems far easier in Classic to accidentally aggro stuff around you.

It's not that "difficult = good", it's just that retail is so hard to mess up in comparison that you rarely ever feel like you're actually in any danger and it gets super old super fast. It's why everyone in retail hates levelling, it's just a chore designed to push you to current content as fast as possible.
Isn't Ironman challenges made specifically to counter-act the fact that leveling is a joke? If the only way you can have some fun during leveling is to have self-imposed restriction and basically not use half of the game's mechanics than the problem really is on Blizzard and it's not surprising that people want to go back to Classic.

AV

Isn't Ironman challenges made specifically to counter-act the fact that leveling is a joke? If the only way you can have some fun during leveling is to have self-imposed restriction and basically not use half of the game's mechanics than the problem really is on Blizzard and it's not surprising that people want to go back to Classic.

Not only that, but the overwhelming majority of the people levelling in current WoW are players with max level characters who are levelling alts using heirlooms. If the game wasn't quick and easy enough already, heirlooms make you practically invincible and you'll kill anything your level within seconds.

It's quite telling that they've been selling a max level boost for quite some time.

mcz117chief

I only played the trial version which allowed me to lvl up to 20 and I did that with Mage, Paladin and Druid. All 3 were easily killed if I accidentally attracted more than 2 opponents at once, if I did get 3 or more it was almost always certain death. That is my experience from around 4 months ago.

gifgaf

I only played the trial version which allowed me to lvl up to 20 and I did that with Mage, Paladin and Druid. All 3 were easily killed if I accidentally attracted more than 2 opponents at once, if I did get 3 or more it was almost always certain death. That is my experience from around 4 months ago.
Wait until later levels, 40+ is a joke. Better gear makes everything super easy.

mcz117chief

Wait until later levels, 40+ is a joke. Better gear makes everything super easy.
I never plan to go beyond the trial version. I don't feel like the game is that interesting. I just played it because I like the RTS games and wanted to see the world from a different perspective.

AV

Perhaps it's just experience then if you've never played past 20; as a low level druid in retail I can juggle mobs all day without worrying.

I think if you've not found retail fun up to 20 it's still worth giving classic a fair shake, it's a totally different game, way more social but also way more brutal. 1-20 in classic takes far, far longer.

buizel

Banned
You've fallen into the trap of "followers" being a hivemind. It's not. He has nearly one million followers. You can't just categorise a million people because of who they watch on a game streaming website. He wasn't called out, the other guy threw an unreasonable shitfit because he expects Asmongold to be responsible for the actions of every single viewer in his chat. He's never once actually directed followers to do anything hurtful as far as I've seen, no evidence was ever presented.

I'm not even really a fan of the guy, Twitch is garbage, but let's not be dishonest here.

Yeah you're right i went a bit OTT on the guy. His followers were going nuts at the others I guess.

I haven't seen much of his videos for me to make a comment proper so i take it back. I only watched him cause I saw him check out ESO one time - I have a want of finding (streamers) newbies to ESO who play in first person, and might not be familiar with MMO stuff.

Anyhoo

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: AV

LukeAJN

Only a few weeks away now! Can't believe I forgot to book the time off work lol. I still need to watch a few videos and really decide what class I want to run. Played pally back in the day and a shaman on a private server so looking for something a bit different this time around.

Almost certain to go priest now. I'll take the first 5 in spirit tap, then 5 for wands, then 2 for the threat reduction, then points in bubble. Then it's all holy from then. I'll respec 21/30/0 for bis raiding dungeons. Then I hope I can convince my guild leader to roll 0/30/21 for shadow weaving and easier farming.

Top Bottom