• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft Classic |OT| We're Going Home

Good night of wow last night. In a single BRD run I was able to get the warstrife leggings, naglering, and finished the quest to get the shadowforge key, which I forgot I even had. Then to top it off, even though the group was tired and not gonna go all the way to the princess, they lava ran me to the dark forge so I could make my smoking heart of the mountain trinket. Later I did a strat live run and the ash covered boots dropped and so I got those too. Joined a casual guild that has no expectations of me since I can't commit to raiding on a regular basis. Also did a pug ony group and the collar dropped. Only I rolled a 4 and didn't get it. Ony head was on reserve per usual. I've already dropped enchanting and herbalism is up to 106. Finally, I got into a horrible av game to finish the night. I was able to sneak through horde even though we were pinned to the alliance starting area and me and a hunter finished off 3 LT's to salvage some honor.

Looking good so far (with those hideous shoulders and boots lol)!
Edit: took that awful image out. i need to learn how to resize images on my phone.

Last edited:

Genei_Jin

Neo Member
My guild was over prepared for BWL. We 1 shotted Nefarian on Thursday. We got the server's first Thunderfury tonight. Next week we should have a second Thunderfury.

Here's the 2nd Thunderfury

sJmdSb3.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
New listing for a Classic WoW software engineer: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/oI4Jbfwq

"... We have a series of upcoming content unlocks we need to support, and our efforts won’t stop there."

Some will argue Classic+ of course, but Occam's Razor says this is TBClassic preparation. I'm sticking to my guns, announcement at Blizzcon 2020 for release Summer 2021 during the Shadowlands content drought. Gives vanilla a 2 year window.

Last edited:
New listing for a Classic WoW software engineer: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/oI4Jbfwq

"... We have a series of upcoming content unlocks we need to support, and our efforts won’t stop there."

Some will argue Classic+ of course, but Occam's Razor says this is TBClassic preparation. I'm sticking to my guns, announcement at Blizzcon 2020 for release Summer 2021 during the Shadowlands content drought. Gives vanilla a 2 year window.
Good catch! I'm all for it.

In other news I've already got my herbalism back up to 280. Should easily get to 300 tonight. It's time to do some instances and pick up some dps gear for when i join raids and they have no room for tanks.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Arathi Basin March 10th, Zul'Gurub in April (Oh and dragons)

Fine with me, AB is the best BG since we're not getting original AV, and ZG originally came out quite soon after BWL, so no problems there. Warlocks are about get lit.

I think we're on good track for the war effort and AQ in summer, Naxx early 2021 and TBC Summer 2021.

Last edited:
Nice. I look forward to AB. Should be a lot of fun. I did some more AV tonight and got my first AV win since dinging 60... Had a good raid leader. Basically I think alliance's best shot at winning games is to stop at SH GY and SF GV and wittle down horde until they lose some of their organization. Then slowly push forward. Any attempts to do more than that always result in beat downs. But that also requires good communication and players willing to follow orders. Anyway, I only just hit honored with stormpike guard, so I won't be getting Don's ring anytime soon.

Herbalism is back up to 300. Last night I tanked strat undead and another DM West run. I had the Medallion of Faith from doing Strat Live last week and turned it in when we started undead side last night. I love how after taking down the Baron you turn in the quest to Aurius' dead body on the ground. I grabbed the attack power pendant Will of the Martyr but wonder if i should have grabbed the intellect ring for offspec instead. All this time I've been wanting/needing a neck upgrade. So i finally caved and bought Skibi's pendant off the AH for 35g. Naturally, the same night i hit honored with AV and bought the attack power neck piece Stormpike Soldier's Pendant and got Will of the Martyr. Figures lol.

My next project is to get the breastplate of bloodthirst. It's a quest reward you get from Finkle in UBRS that requires a whole bunch of mats. I bought the pristine hide of the beast off the AH for 400g tonight. It's the only one I've ever seen there and was originally priced at 675g. It came down in price and now I'm broke again lol. The rest of the mats should be no problem. The bigger issue will be finding a 300 Skinner with finkle's dagger to run UBRS with. I still need to actually pick up the quest lol. Getting some arcanite bars and the drops from UD strat and scholo should be no issue. I'm on days this week which will make it harder for me to do instances but I should have it in less than a month. Probably 3 weeks tops.

Last edited:
Hola hola. So close to breastplate of bloodthirst. Pristine hide of the beast ☑️
5 arcanite bars ☑️
5 skins of shadow ☑️
7/10 frayed abomination stitchings ❌
50g ☑️

My guild went into bwl for the 1st time and struggled with razorgore... Hunters need to learn how to kite dragonkin properly. Our dps isn't quite up to snuff to burn everything down. All that is to say I don't think I'll have the option for malfurians blessed bulwark anytime soon.

I finally got my 1st 2 black lotus. Of course both times it happened when I wasn't even trying. So I think the lesson to be learned is to not purposefully farm for it.

Can't wait for ZG to try and get the 2 ring set that grants 3% hit. I'm hurting in the hit department.

AV

TBC (Basically) Confirmed

There it is, boys and girls. Not like it wasn't already incredibly obvious, but it's all but confirmed here.

I'm sticking by what I've been saying the whole time Classic's been out, they'll announce it at Blizzcon 2020 for release next Spring, and option #1 will be what they do.

giphy.gif

This is very cool news. I liked this guy's suggestion in the twitter comments:

I think it would be nice to always be able to go back and play on the classic server while also being able to continue progressing the same character in TBC.

AV

I think it would be nice to always be able to go back and play on the classic server while also being able to continue progressing the same character in TBC.

It would be nice, but I really doubt Blizzard are gonna keep servers alive for the sake of thousands of characters who are probably never gonna log in again, while making no more money doing so. Letting those that only want vanilla move to servers with like-minded people is a good compromise.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I agree, I think the first option is most likely, with just a handful of "vanilla" servers being available for xfer.

Our guild recently acquired a bunch of new players from other struggling guilds. So now we have like 6+ warrior tanks lol. Which means I haven't been able to do any tanking. But my fire resist set is maxed out. Now I can mix and match threat/mitigation pieces for if we ever get to vael. I got my first loot from MC last night. Well at least the first item that I actually wanted. The fireguard shoulders finally showed up in domo's chest. I know it seems like such a small deal but I was genuinely excited. Other than that I've gotten some cenarion gear simply because no was else needed/wanted. I also got the stormrage cover from ony but again only because we have 3 druids total.

So I dps mostly. Which is kind of fun because it gives me gear to work on while not raiding. I've been super lazy and instead of running tribute runs, ive paid people instead for 2 tarnished rings, 2 lodestone trinkets, and the unyielding maul. I'm just lazy there. And since our guild does free rolls on ony's head I'll probably not get it anytime soon. So I'm gonna splurge and pickup the amulet of the Darkmoon as a stop gap tomorrow. I'm using the stormpike pendant for my tank set atm and Mark of fording to dps. ZG is gonna be great for me with multiple upgrades for hit gear and the fact that it resets so quickly.

My current tank set:

Blackmist bracers would be a nice upgrade for a little more hit but I have never seen them drop once, ever.

Last edited:
TBC (Basically) Confirmed

There it is, boys and girls. Not like it wasn't already incredibly obvious, but it's all but confirmed here.

I'm sticking by what I've been saying the whole time Classic's been out, they'll announce it at Blizzcon 2020 for release next Spring, and option #1 will be what they do.

giphy.gif

One of the least surprising things ever. Many of us only supported classic for the other 2 xpacs down the road.

Guessing spring next year for TBC and late the following year for WOTLK.

Reactions: AV

AV

One of the least surprising things ever. Many of us only supported classic for the other 2 xpacs down the road.

Guessing spring next year for TBC and late the following year for WOTLK.

Yep, that sounds about right - although god knows how Covid is affecting that, given that it already seems to have delayed ZG. Seriously, April 5th and absolutely nothing on the wire seems a little fishy.

I know a fair few people who are just waiting for the Classic BC/Wrath servers. One guy's levelling a warrior now for that reason. I'm definitely playing BC 'til the end end, Wrath I never actually did Algalon so probably at least until that. Good excuse to do the best raid ever again.

LukeAJN

Gonna have to finish leveling my mage once my exams are done, he's still sitting in booty bag at lvl 40 something. Really wish I'd kept up to date with this tho, kinda feel like i missed the train now

Mokrawr

Banned
Absolutely Warlock. The grimoires and unique quests are very attractive when playing. Fun class and had a darker feel in vanilla.

AV

Just leveled my alt to 35 from 25. Its my lock who has alchemy. Gonna max the skill out and stop paying for pots and elixirs. Took longer than I anticipated but got it done. Finally. I can't wait for ZG. A lot of upgrades for feral druids. One of the quests you get right off the bat that is really easy to finish gives nearly the bis dps belt. But the hit rings and the blood drenched pieces are some of the things I'm looking forward to.

So excited for ZG tonight. My guild should be to clear or make it through most of it without any problems but you never know for sure. 3 of the 5 drops I want can come off the very first boss Venoxis.

Did blizzard ever say anymore about the cross class zg enchantss? i know they were looking into it but are they gonna do anything about it or let people continue to do it? I have a abyssal leggings of striking i want to enchant but was waiting to see if/what blizz was going to do regarding the exploit.

Onikaan

Anyone still playing?

I've been back on to start again with some friends. We got caught in the manic rush during release and became tired of long waits to get on.

Been really enjoying it now though. No waiting, slowly leveling up and enjoying the content. Hopefully have get 60 for the AQ event.

AV

They're fixing the Black Lotus issue, thank god. Looks like we can actually flask up in AQ without spending hundreds and hundreds every raid.

AV

This is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen.

To try and "fight" botting, they're implementing a 30 dungeon reset within 24 hours limit, PER REALM, not even per character. Real players are gonna get screwed by this. Wanna solo Mara all day? Tough. Wanna boost SM, ZF or ZG? Tough. Wanna cell cleave your way to 60? Tough.

There's no way this makes it through as-is. It's horse shit and possibly the absolute worst change they've made.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I finally buckled and subbed. It's still fun and I retained some muscle memory for leveling a shadow priest.

AV

Haven't bothered updating the thread in a while since there's likely a handful of us on the whole forum playing, but I'm still going. Our server just opened the gates so we're ready for AQ on Sunday, but sadly we've had a lot of people on holiday recently and others dropped the game altogether at the worst possible time, including a change of GM.

Sadly I think people went in with the false expectation that raiding would "eventually get hard", but realistically AQ40 was never, ever going to be very difficult by modern standards. I think a lot of people saw most guilds 1-shot C'thun and called it a day. The 40 man requirement really doesn't help either and frankly switching to 25 in TBC was maybe the smartest thing Blizzard ever did.

Still, I'm excited to get in there for the first time (not counting stomping it as a 70 for fun) and see what it's all about. It may just be with a different set of people, sadly, though the friends I've made in Classic I'll end up playing something else with. Even if it goes off the rails soon, the journey's been amazing.

Last edited:
Heyo! I'm still going. Since the last time I posted here I have switched to a more competitive guild, switched from being an off-tank bear to mainly cat dps. My small server still hasn't finished the war efforts, which is a bummer since many people are already going on their second clear of AQ this week. But I'm still enjoying classic too. Can't wait to do AQ. It's a feral druid's dream for gear. Almost every single boss drops a noteworthy upgrade. I'm not really fussed about the difficulty. Players should have the right expectations about classic content. I've also got an alt mage almost to level 52. My 35 lock has 300 alchemy, so he is making all my elixirs and pots.

AV

Well, as expected, my guild collapsed - no bad blood between anyone, we simply don't have the numbers to make up a consistent raid team any more between people quitting, people absent too much and not enough new blood on the servers. This was always inevitable for the majority of guilds, was just hoping this one would survive.

Ah well, onwards and upwards, will be finding a new raid team and still playing other games with these guys.

Edit: Last night I floated the idea of playing Cataclysm private together and there's already 16 on board. Onwards and upwards!

Last edited:

niilokin

I love the battlegrounds and PvP of classic... the problem is the unfair premades with lots of rank11+ players facing against pug groups over and over again. I can't remember it being this bad in vanilla.

AV

Blog post part three; well, my time with Classic is over. There's now over 30 of us from the same guild playing on a Cata private together which I've ended up GMing and frankly my interest in finding a new group of people to do AQ with has completely faded. It's been an incredible year, Classic has its ups and downs but it's the community that makes it. My community has just moved on.

Dang Im sorry to hear that, AV. Having good friends to raid with is everything, so it's understandable if you feel like it is time to move on. I myself am only planning on playing through Naxx. After I've decided that I'll probably hang up wow for good. Fun game but it's so time consuming.

asocirev

I recently started playing with my friends again about 4 weeks ago... hugely fun, we are having a blast. I also remember why I stopped, I spend so much time this game!!

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Wish I could say the same. Loved playing classic but that is pretty much over now. And I just hate retail, tried the free trial now my sub ran out, but it's just a completely different game.

My guild in classic is still going. It's been fun progressing through Naxx. Right now we're 12/15 but had Four Horsemen down to 1.5k health and wiped. Should get past them this week and have some attempts on Sapph.

AV

My guild in classic is still going. It's been fun progressing through Naxx. Right now we're 12/15 but had Four Horsemen down to 1.5k health and wiped. Should get past them this week and have some attempts on Sapph.

Nice to hear you're still playing and enjoying, Moonman! I'm super hyped for TBC but enjoying playing other games in the space between.

Saw this absolutely fantastic news this morning - no more spell batching. No more simulated 400ms in TBC! Clips from the PTR look fantastic, it'll be interesting to see - if they launch fresh Classic servers - if they remove it from the start on those. Leeway would be the next one to go you'd imagine.

Nice to hear you're still playing and enjoying, Moonman! I'm super hyped for TBC but enjoying playing other games in the space between.

Saw this absolutely fantastic news this morning - no more spell batching. No more simulated 400ms in TBC! Clips from the PTR look fantastic, it'll be interesting to see - if they launch fresh Classic servers - if they remove it from the start on those. Leeway would be the next one to go you'd imagine.

Well right after I made that post my guild fell apart lol. So I've stepped away myself. We had finally made it to Sapph and got him down to 30% with no world buffs. The next week we lost our main tank, a fury warrior, both of which were guild officers. Then we also lost a few others all in the same day and it was downhill from there. For the life of me I don't know why people decided to quit before killing KT but that's the way it goes.

Last edited:

AV

Well right after I made that post my guild fell apart lol. So I've stepped away myself. We had finally made it to Sapph and got him down to 30% with no world buffs. The next week we lost our main tank, a fury warrior, both of which were guild officers. Then we also lost a few others all in the same day and it was downhill from there. For the life of me I don't know why people decided to quit before killing KT but that's the way it goes.

Ah, that sucks - but at least you got to see most of Naxx man, that's still an accomplishment. A really small part of me wishes I'd stayed on but I just didn't have the energy to find a whole new guild to start AQ with, the remaining Classic friends I had all splintered off and not one of them enjoyed AQ.

I think I can round up at least 9 of them to have an amazing fortnight of TBC Heroics with and end on a Kara clear, then I definitely am gonna find a new group to clear the rest of TBC with. I never did anything past T4 back in the day and I'm really excited to see it all.

TheContact

Saw this absolutely fantastic news this morning - no more spell batching. No more simulated 400ms in TBC!

the #nochanges movement really fucked a lot up with classic. like the simulated latency--it was created because back in 2004-5 most people had shit internet. in 2020+ people could melee from 10 feet away because the server and client had such a latency gap. i'm super fucking excited for TBC--my favorite xpac of all time. Shadowlands is pretty close though!

AV

the #nochanges movement really fucked a lot up with classic. like the simulated latency--it was created because back in 2004-5 most people had shit internet. in 2020+ people could melee from 10 feet away because the server and client had such a latency gap. i'm super fucking excited for TBC--my favorite xpac of all time. Shadowlands is pretty close though!

Yeah, even if they get rid of spell batching for TBC, they probably aren't going to be getting rid of the melee leeway because I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in TBC. Taurens melee attacking you through an arena pillar. Can't wait!

Ah, that sucks - but at least you got to see most of Naxx man, that's still an accomplishment. A really small part of me wishes I'd stayed on but I just didn't have the energy to find a whole new guild to start AQ with, the remaining Classic friends I had all splintered off and not one of them enjoyed AQ.

I think I can round up at least 9 of them to have an amazing fortnight of TBC Heroics with and end on a Kara clear, then I definitely am gonna find a new group to clear the rest of TBC with. I never did anything past T4 back in the day and I'm really excited to see it all.
The smaller raids in BC will be really nice. Though right now I'm not sure if i'm going to jump into the next expansion or not. Classic sucked away a lot of my time and my wife hated it lol. Oh another huge perk will be not having to worry about world buffs. That alone took a bunch of time every week. All the consumes were a pain too.

AV

The smaller raids in BC will be really nice. Though right now I'm not sure if i'm going to jump into the next expansion or not. Classic sucked away a lot of my time and my wife hated it lol. Oh another huge perk will be not having to worry about world buffs. That alone took a bunch of time every week. All the consumes were a pain too.

Yeah that's the thing with BC, after the initial progression through 60-70, attunements and heroics, and as a long as you have a slow flying mount, it's way easier just to raid log if you want. No world buffs and barely any consumables, plus dailies make it so much easier to get the gold for those anyway.

I had a few 60s in Classic but will be trying to keep myself to one character for BC, just a shaman who mains enhancement, but I'll pick up some healing gear along the way in case that's what it comes to. I 100% wanna see BT and kill Illidan, Sunwell I can give or take.

Top Bottom