• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Continued from here

wow.jpg

It doesn't really need it, but it would be nice to have a more elaborate first post.

:/

Now more on topic, speculating into the future...how is the rest of this expansion going to play out given that we're running behind on patches? Since 4.2 will be filed with the content that should have been in 4.1, does that make 4.4 as the Deathwing patch? 4.5? If even one other patch is like 4.1 is turning out to be?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hopefully this new thread will be all about hope, happiness, with stories of fun ganking and awesome boss kills... all this with no hate posts toward Blizzard!

Who am i kidding?

CarbonatedFalcon said:
It doesn't really need it, but it would be nice to have a more elaborate first post.

What would be useful in there? I'm more than happy to expand it, but the |OT2| was extremely barebones and I don't want to put anything in there that people won't actually find valuable.

Bisnic said:
Hopefully this new thread will be all about hope, happiness, with stories of fun ganking and awesome boss kills... all this with no hate posts toward Blizzard!

I healed my first heroic the other day! And it was stupid-ass SFK too.

Gvaz

Banned
It's WoW, everyone knows the basics by now (anyone likely to post in this thread) and I'm sure anyone who wants to get into it can ya know, simply ask.

After buying cata and playing for a month I quit in January, after a long break, It just bores me now really can't see myself coming back anytime soon

charlequin said:
What would be useful in there? I'm more than happy to expand it, but the |OT2| was extremely barebones and I don't want to put anything in there that people won't actually find valuable.

True. The game has been out for over 5 years, so there is little that could be put in the OP that wouldn't be old news. A nicer banner perhaps? If I come up with something that would be worth it I'll let people know.

cuevas said:
4.1: The patch where you take a break from WoW!

I've been on my break, and I didn't even finish this tier's raid content. 4.1 is unlikely to change that significantly.

Also:

|OT3| We should have bled out by now...

Bisnic

To be honest... i'm sure no one reads the 1st page of any WoW official threads once it has plenty of pages so that any comments are outdated enough. So a pretty banner or a well detailed OP is kinda pointless.

notworksafe

charlequin said:
Maybe the GAF player spreadsheet? I still see people added to it pretty regularly.

Submission Form
Viewable Spreadsheet

Also, what's up guys? Have I missed anything worthwhile in the last 3-4 months? :p

Bisnic

notworksafe said:
Well, shit.

So no tanking changes? The boredom that came from tanking the first dungeons and raids was what had me quitting in the first place.

I'm not sure what tanking changes you were expecting to make it less boring for you... if anything, it might be MORE boring than 3 months ago since people are better geared and some bosses were nerfed.

notworksafe said:
Well, shit.

So no tanking changes? The boredom that came from tanking the first dungeons and raids was what had me quitting in the first place.

DKs will be getting a Battle Rez? Add another CD button you will actually have to use instead of something that you barely remember you have.

Supert5

Neo Member
I don't know about you guys, but I've been having a blast as a new player going 1-60 rocks, then you hit outland and wtf that area is depressing as hell and the quest are so unorganized and dull. Can't wait to burn thru that zone. Here is hoping that wotlk content is exciting.

IsayFever

Been slowly regaining interest in just general playing recently. Been doing heroics and dailies to cap guild xp/rep. Yep, fun times

notworksafe

Bisnic said:
I'm not sure what tanking changes you were expecting to make it less boring for you... if anything, it might be MORE boring than 3 months ago since people are better geared and some bosses were nerfed.
Well I guess to be more specific I was hoping for some changes to how Holy Power works for Prot Paladin. I was always bummed that there wasn't a more strategic use for it other than "wait for three and hit Shield of the Righteous".

CarbonatedFalcon said:
DKs will be getting a Battle Rez? Add another CD button you will actually have to use instead of something that you barely remember you have.
Please say it's a ghoul rez. :D That was always the coolest rez.

Alex

WOTLK content is a lot better than BC, I really love all of the themes it uses too. Northrend is a beautiful continent, whereas Outland is really not, IMO.

We just finished Heroic Maloriak recently, that fight was really crazy with all of our melee which sadly made it a bit harder. I've got to admit to laze for this though; I'm glad I'm not healing or tanking much on this heroic tier. It seems a bit insane in spots.

Well I guess to be more specific I was hoping for some changes to how Holy Power works for Prot Paladin.

Mostly minor things like Holy Power tweaks and quality of life tweaks. Rebuke was made baseline in 4.0.6 and Word of Glory becomes a 20 second cooldown for non-Holy in 4.1

I'm doing a Paladin for an alt at the moment, as an aside to my Death Knight main. Paladin tanking *is* really simple compared to Death Knight and Warrior at least, I'm not really hugely digging it but our alt raid needs a tank and I enjoy the role so it's something I don't mind.

Flib

notworksafe said:
Well, shit.

Half of the people in this thread have quit (me included).

Kind of sad I burned out on Cata so fast, but I just wouldn't have the time to play these days anyway.

notworksafe said:
Please say it's a ghoul rez. :D That was always the coolest rez.

It explains it in the 4.1 patch notes, but basically: Raise Ally has been redesigned to be an actual battle rez rather than turning people into a ghoul. Instant cast, but costs 50 RP, so you'd have to pool for at least a few seconds or use Empower Rune Weapon to pull it off.

Flib said:
Half of the people in this thread have quit (me included).

Kind of sad I burned out on Cata so fast, but I just wouldn't have the time to play these days anyway.

Even if I'm not actively playing WoW, I still find I have this attraction to the game, either to read or talk about it. After putting so much time into the game it has buried itself into my thoughts. I probably won't be able to get my mind completely off WoW until something else consumes such a large fraction of my time, the most likely thing being Diablo 3.

notworksafe

CarbonatedFalcon said:
It explains it in the 4.1 patch notes, but basically: Raise Ally has been redesigned to be an actual battle rez rather than turning people into a ghoul. Instant cast, but costs 50 RP, so you'd have to pool for at least a few seconds or use Empower Rune Weapon to pull it off.
:(

Supert5

Neo Member
Even if I'm not actively playing WoW, I still find I have this attraction to the game, either to read or talk about it. After putting so much time into the game it has buried itself into my thoughts. I probably won't be able to get my mind completely off WoW until something else consumes such a large fraction of my time, the most likely thing being Diablo 3.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya brother.

notworksafe

I haven't been reading much in the way of WoW news in the past few months, but after spending four years reading and talking about it daily I may have gotten a bit burned out.

I'm getting curious about it once again, but I'm not sure if it'll end with me playing. I do know that most of the raiders quit/moved on once I left. Not sure who's still there. Some friends have switched back to Alliance on another server (Elune?) but I'm not going to be switching to that scum faction anytime soon. :p

Maybe when my time limit is up I'll try and get a Scroll of Resurrection and see what's going on again.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Even if I'm not actively playing WoW, I still find I have this attraction to the game, either to read or talk about it. After putting so much time into the game it has buried itself into my thoughts. I probably won't be able to get my mind completely off WoW until something else consumes such a large fraction of my time, the most likely thing being Diablo 3.

Haha, I'm in the same boat. I raided hardcore since MC on the same character, quit at 8/13 over a month ago but I still talk to people from the game about it and can't help but read MMOC for news. I'll be ready to jump into Titan though!

CarbonatedFalcon said:

I quit WoW once, and then quit it again, then again.

Alex said:
WOTLK content is a lot better than BC, I really love all of the themes it uses too. Northrend is a beautiful continent, whereas Outland is really not, IMO.

Every time I go back to some other spot in Northrend I haven't been to recently I'm amazed all over again. Honestly just one of my favorite realizations of a place in a videogame ever. I love every zone and every faction, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for either other expansion.

Thoraxes

charlequin said:
Every time I go back to some other spot in Northrend I haven't been to recently I'm amazed all over again. Honestly just one of my favorite realizations of a place in a videogame ever. I love every zone and every faction, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for either other expansion.
As weird as it sounds, I strongly feel this way for all the Burning Crusade zones. Especially Shadowmoon Valley and Black Temple. Something about it just can not be found anywhere else in game.

Alex

notworksafe said:
I haven't been reading much in the way of WoW news in the past few months, but after spending four years reading and talking about it daily I may have gotten a bit burned out.

I'm getting curious about it once again, but I'm not sure if it'll end with me playing. I do know that most of the raiders quit/moved on once I left. Not sure who's still there. Some friends have switched back to Alliance on another server (Elune?) but I'm not going to be switching to that scum faction anytime soon. :p

Maybe when my time limit is up I'll try and get a Scroll of Resurrection and see what's going on again.

Totally take a good break, wait for something interesting, then go find a good batch of folk, like a nice 10 man guild. I burned so hard during WOTLK even though it was during a tier I really liked, so I quit for about a year, came back and I'm having a *really* good time at the moment.

Swag

Eagerly anticipating my guilds BWD run tonight, more H Chimaeron fun! I brought it to the raid leaders attention that DPS was super low and he said they'd try to fix it, hopefully they do cause I don't wanna spend another 3 hours in that room.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Can someone just explain the "How does a Tauren hide in a cherry tree" joke?

It has never made sense to me over several years. I must be missing something super obvious.

Tamanon

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

It has never made sense to me over several years. I must be missing something super obvious.

I mean, I've never heard the joke you're talking about, but cherry trees can be poisonous to cows.

notworksafe

Alex said:
Totally take a good break, wait for something interesting, then go find a good batch of folk, like a nice 10 man guild. I burned so hard during WOTLK even though it was during a tier I really liked, so I quit for about a year, came back and I'm having a *really* good time at the moment.
Yeah my plan is not to rush anything. I still chat with guildies on IM and Mumble and it's looking like all I'd have to do is put out the WoW Signal and a decent amount of them would all come back (the raiding core). We just sorta ran out of stuff to do for the time being...

Until then I'll probably just lurk about while spending my time on other games that I've missed.

Manus

I have two toons fully raid geared and I just now starting a holy paladin. Guess I'm going to keep leveling him till 4.1 is released and work on a few HM bosses with the guild.

TheYanger

Game was REAAAALLY wearing on everyone. Now in 'farm mode' where we're forcing ourselves to raid less and just get more efficient it's a lot better. I think it's just this tier, progressing through it was brutal, now that I'm basically done there it's fun again.

TheYanger said:
Game was REAAAALLY wearing on everyone. Now in 'farm mode' where we're forcing ourselves to raid less and just get more efficient it's a lot better. I think it's just this tier, progressing through it was brutal, now that I'm basically done there it's fun again.

Damn Sinestra down? Grats :D

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Angry Grimace said:

It's a play on the joke "How does an elephant hide in a cherry tree? He paints his toenails red." Even though elephants do not have hooves. Or anything else in common with Tauren.

Blizzard humor. : /

traveler

Not Wario
charlequin said:

I said it before I touched Cataclysm, all throughout beta, and at release, and I'll say it again now: WotLK had, hands down, the best art, music, and just overall "flavor" WoW has ever seen. Nothing I've seen in Cataclysm has changed my stance. Vash IS impressive and Uldum is pretty nice as well, but neither they nor any other part of Cataclysm is as beautiful as Howling Fjord or Sholazar Basin, as atmospheric and oppressive as Storm Peaks, Icecrown, or the Dragonblight, or as just plain cool as Zul'Drak's city.

I liked Northrend, but I think I'm a bit quirky as I preferred the flavor of Outland a bit more. Maybe my opinion would be different if I had actually played during BC and not just leveled/backtracked through it. Northrend has a more typical fantasy setting while Outland deviates and goes a bit more sci-fi even though WoW is undeniably in the fantasy genre.

New Cataclysm zones are nice, but 1 or 2 more in addition to what was added would have been preferable for a variety of reasons.

The things that disappoint me most about Northrend in terms of geography are the underuse of Crystalsong Forest, the lack of a Zul'Drak troll raid, and Borean Tundra in general.

Borean Tundra I have to say I'm biased though, originally experiencing it without access to a flying mount as Horde is terrible. Venturing out from Warsong Hold into the quarry without being able to fly is obnoxious - it poisons the experience early on, and the rest of the content in the zone doesn't make up for it.

TheYanger

cuevas said:
Damn Sinestra down? Grats :D

Thanks, few weeks ago. only done Al'akir on 10 but at this point we really needed the short raid week to recharge. I can only imagine the frustration we were feeling extends to every level of guild and player this tier though - it's just REALLY been brutal, even if the fights were 'fun' in a bubble it's hard to look on it fondly.

TheYanger said:
Thanks, few weeks ago. only done Al'akir on 10 but at this point we really needed the short raid week to recharge. I can only imagine the frustration we were feeling extends to every level of guild and player this tier though - it's just REALLY been brutal, even if the fights were 'fun' in a bubble it's hard to look on it fondly.

Yeah I totally agree with you. I look back at stupid glitches on fights like Vashj and extreme difficulty of doing 0 lights or firefighter before nerfs and I can say I really enjoyed those fights. This? Not so much. I do like sinestra though, hopefully she dies next reset.

2i7055e.jpg

Bradlums

Sup guys haven't been playing ever since I faction changed when cata came out. Want to pick it back up, but not worth money to me if it isn't significantly better than lich king. So what do y'all think?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Going from a dungeon, subzones, and raids to a full zone was a logical direction. There shouldn't be a Zul raid every expansion, that's too formulaic. Turning the old raids to dungeons seems like another logical Direction.

Dance In My Blood said:
How many troll raids does one video game need?

I meant it as more tongue in cheek than as anything else, but I just felt that it was kind of a waste to have that grand temple complex and not have an instance portal attached. It looked like it was asking for it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
DeathNote said:
Turning the old raids to dungeons seems like another logical Direction.
I don't mind the concept, but in practice it feels like old raid dungeons are taking the place of new raid content.

And they always feel worse to me.

Top Bottom