• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

I'm pissed, for some reason I didn't get my bonus loot on the greater invasion boss of this week... :(

I can also add that warrior is the best class for hunting weapon transmogs. They can literally use everything but wands.
I didn't either. On my hunter or my death knight. I put in a ticket and they said to kill him again but it looks like the rift disappears.
Are you guys soloing the WoD raids now?

Are you guys soloing the WoD raids now?

My blood DK is something like ilvl 905-910 and did HFC heroic 25. I got killed by a doom spell in the last fight, then it wasn't an issue the second attempt, and I got knocked off the platform against Mannoroth when the jerk had 8% health left.

Oh, and I didn't even know everyone was supposed to get a bonus roll in greater rifts, really. I did at least 3-4 of them with absolutely no reward, then one today gave me a roll. So I guess I've been getting screwed.

Rizzi

Legendary items are a trash system for WoW and boy do I really hope they don't return in whatever their next expansion is.
Naturally this means they will double down and then add time gating somehow.

Tarazet

Um. Kadala just gave me a 930 Whispers in the Dark on my Priest.. in Discipline spec.

Looks like I'm playing Shadow now.

I thought it was fast and hectic before - you add 47% haste onto that and it's a different level of crazy.

Question for people who use the class rings in M+: IIRC there was an issue switching these rings out in the middle of a run that would result in not having access to any talent on that tow. Is that still a thing? Does it only apply if the ring gives you the talent you already have selected?

Example: Taking Liquid Magma Totem, ring gives me Echo of the Elements. Switching that ring back and forth shouldn't be an issue, right, since LMT is always selected?

I have a few class rings but this is the first that I may swap around.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If I were to guess, next expansions starting zone will be on Argus and then we go into some void lands or something in the twisting nether

It does seem obvious the void is going to be the next expansion. And Argus seems underutilized at the moment with 3 zones. What would be the point to bringing Argus to Azeroth and leaving it there if it didn't serve some greater purpose later

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My blood DK is something like ilvl 905-910 and did HFC heroic 25. I got killed by a doom spell in the last fight, then it wasn't an issue the second attempt, and I got knocked off the platform against Mannoroth when the jerk had 8% health left.

Oh, and I didn't even know everyone was supposed to get a bonus roll in greater rifts, really. I did at least 3-4 of them with absolutely no reward, then one today gave me a roll. So I guess I've been getting screwed.

FYI, 25 man raids in WoD do not exist anymore while soloing. Since they introduced the whole "flex" thing, you can only do the 10 man version while soloing(except with Mythics, where its 20). Check the icon next to your minimap to know for sure.

Was kinda pissed off when I noticed that, since you get less loot.

TheYanger

Question for people who use the class rings in M+: IIRC there was an issue switching these rings out in the middle of a run that would result in not having access to any talent on that tow. Is that still a thing? Does it only apply if the ring gives you the talent you already have selected?

Example: Taking Liquid Magma Totem, ring gives me Echo of the Elements. Switching that ring back and forth shouldn't be an issue, right, since LMT is always selected?

I have a few class rings but this is the first that I may swap around.
I haven't tried it recently, but it should only 'remove' your talents if it uses the talent you have selected, yes. For example when I swap from Blood to Frost, it unequips the ring after the spec swap and I lose my frost talent every time because the ring uses the talent I actually want. If you were in M+ and swapped the ring on by accident, you'd just lose your talent totally.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On November 3.

ceremonyzdbi5.png
whatsnextbexhw.png
systemsfpatc.png

https://blizzcon.com/en-us/schedule#fri-nov-3

I'm so excited.

FYI, 25 man raids in WoD do not exist anymore while soloing. Since they introduced the whole "flex" thing, you can only do the 10 man version while soloing(except with Mythics, where its 20). Check the icon next to your minimap to know for sure.

Was kinda pissed off when I noticed that, since you get less loot.

That explains it. I noticed the 10, but figured it was a UI glitch, since the setting was 25.

I haven't tried it recently, but it should only 'remove' your talents if it uses the talent you have selected, yes. For example when I swap from Blood to Frost, it unequips the ring after the spec swap and I lose my frost talent every time because the ring uses the talent I actually want. If you were in M+ and swapped the ring on by accident, you'd just lose your talent totally.

That's what I thought. I have better legendary combos for both AoE and ST, but I want to test it out as it might be nice to have Echo + LMT on some pulls here and there.

How much are you willing to bet they'll add some form of loot box system in the next expansion?

They seemingly want opening emmi / weekly / raid chests to feel like opening a loot box, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some sort of new lootbox-style animation where you uncover each of the items in your box to make it more blatant and up front.

Zelias

Banned
How big a difference do the T20 set bonuses make for SPriest? I don't even have 2p yet, but at ilvl926 I'm a bit disappointed in my DPS and I'm not sure if it's because I need the tier or I'm just bad at SPriest.

Rösti;250879364 said:
Well damn. They're going to hype me into buying a ticket, aren't they? I'll see how many WoW panels there are, because it's the only game in their roster that interests me, but if there are enough of them I'll happily drop the cash on BlizzCon this year.

Also, am I the only one hoping for a Cataclysm style expansion that focuses on the new player experience again? Because it's hard to recommend the game to new players in the current state when you have to say "basically ignore everything up to level 100 because nothing is relevant or balanced until then anyway. You'll outlevel old stories before they get even half way through, and your class playstyle will feel incomplete all the way through."

I feel like they wouldn't even need to change the quests much either. Just rewrite the text surrounding most of them to be about "cleaning up" the damage caused from past storylines like Deathwing, and update all the assets used so it looks modern. Combined with Legion's leveled zone system so you can go anywhere at any time, and add some zone-completion story quests to entice players to stick it out in each zone for a while (like being able to get rid of those whirlwinds in Westfall and Darkshore) and I think they could get this game in a much healthier state for new players and alt characters with significantly less work than Cata required. No complete zone overhauls and entirely new quest designs needed - just cleverly repackage what exists into a "clean up" quest line so it all seems relevant again, looks modern, and perhaps most importantly won't go back to being dated one expansion later which a complete quest and landscape overhaul about Void Lords or whatever would. Also world quests for Azeroth because THE POTENTIAL THERE OH MY GOD.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Whoa, legendary catch up items.

Sad thing is I would just buy them for my main DK because his legendaries are dog shit.

My DK has 5 legendaries and only 1 of them is an actual DK-only legendary.

Syf

Banned
Also, am I the only one hoping for a Cataclysm style expansion that focuses on the new player experience again? Because it's hard to recommend the game to new players in the current state when you have to say "basically ignore everything up to level 100 because nothing is relevant or balanced until then anyway. You'll outlevel old stories before they get even half way through, and your class playstyle will feel incomplete all the way through."
Absolutely yes, all of this. It's hard to sell new players on the game when the character creator is ancient and they have to go through 80-85 levels of old, monotonous questing to get to where the game starts to feel current.

I mean, I'm sure Blizzard has the complete picture and can see where new players are quitting, but anecdotally if I want a friend to play and actually make it to current content, I have to be there with them constantly reinforcing the idea that it does get better if you can stand the early leveling.

I'll be fully behind Blizzard if they decide to try another cata-style revamp of at least some of the content, or even allow it to be skipped entirely. The leveling does need to be addressed in some way, imo.

Is there a good place outside of the game to advertise auctions? I've got an item that's worth a couple hundred thousand gold, but it's strictly a collector's item so 99.5% of players aren't going to be interested.

Is there a good place outside of the game to advertise auctions? I've got an item that's worth a couple hundred thousand gold, but it's strictly a collector's item so 99.5% of players aren't going to be interested.

Not really?

Depends on your server, and depends on what it is. Several hundred thousand gold value isn't worth transferring servers for either. If anything, advertise in trade chat and your server's forum.

If it's a non-usable item like, Linken's photograph, that's really more sentimental value than actually being worth anything, even if it's "rare". Same thing with Zul Gurub coins, or anything else in that sort of category.

Rare transmogs, TCG Mounts, and other usable/consumable items that are unobtainable (e.g. Dirge's Kickin' Chimaerok Chops recipe) are going to hold more value than an unusable, unobtainable grey item.

In my case, I problem have a couple million worth of rare transmog/other items: that doesn't I can actually sell them for that much, despite them residing on a a fairly high pop server. Collectibles move slowly.

Zelias

Banned
wait

the relinquished hood gives the warlock wing mask to any class?(The one where wings appear if you jump)

damn

warlocks stay losing
The visuals for set pieces are reused for off-set pieces in raids. The relinquished token just rolled the warlock head off-set piece.

if it's TCG you can try this thread.

Alternatively you can ask how to sell it on /r/woweconomy. You're not supposed to directly sell items on there but people ask about how to sell their rare items from time to time.

If it's worth less than 750k or so you can probably advertise in trade, depending on your server.

The token can turn into that item, yes. All tier sets have non-class-specific lookalikes.

The visuals for set pieces are reused for off-set pieces in raids. The relinquished token just rolled the warlock head off-set piece.

warlocks
stay
loooosing

930 gloves last week, 935 wrists this week, ideal stats on both. Greater invasions treating me well

do you need to go farther in the argus storyline for a greater invasion?

Think so. Don't remember exactly what point you need to be at though.

kk~

The only other caster it really fits is Shadow Priest though.

sorry im busy being a frost deemon!

Interesting, it seems that Combustion 'breaks' the helmet. Like, if you pop combustion while the wings are out, it turns the wings fiery, but then the wings don't activate if jumping during combustion, and then they break afterwards?

erawsd

Well damn. They're going to hype me into buying a ticket, aren't they? I'll see how many WoW panels there are, because it's the only game in their roster that interests me, but if there are enough of them I'll happily drop the cash on BlizzCon this year.

I feel like they wouldn't even need to change the quests much either. Just rewrite the text surrounding most of them to be about "cleaning up" the damage caused from past storylines like Deathwing, and update all the assets used so it looks modern. Combined with Legion's leveled zone system so you can go anywhere at any time, and add some zone-completion story quests to entice players to stick it out in each zone for a while (like being able to get rid of those whirlwinds in Westfall and Darkshore) and I think they could get this game in a much healthier state for new players and alt characters with significantly less work than Cata required. No complete zone overhauls and entirely new quest designs needed - just cleverly repackage what exists into a "clean up" quest line so it all seems relevant again, looks modern, and perhaps most importantly won't go back to being dated one expansion later which a complete quest and landscape overhaul about Void Lords or whatever would. Also world quests for Azeroth because THE POTENTIAL THERE OH MY GOD.

Honestly, I know it's selfish, but no I don't want them to focus on new players. At most they should just rebalance exp and level ranges so that no one ever has to go to Northrend or Outland. Everyone else can just use the free character boost.

They can update the default UI while they're at it. For example, you're finishing up a WQ, still in combat, and so much shit pops up on the screen (text box, reward, WQ complete notification) you can't see what is going on. The game constantly changing your tracked quest is annoying, too.

Adaren

How big a difference do the T20 set bonuses make for SPriest? I don't even have 2p yet, but at ilvl926 I'm a bit disappointed in my DPS and I'm not sure if it's because I need the tier or I'm just bad at SPriest.

I don't main Shadow, but if I recall 2p was okay and 4p was massive (one of the strongest T20 set bonuses of any spec).

www.howtopriest.com forums have lots of great numbers if you're curious on the specifics.

Pre

What I'm hoping for -- and I think it's possible, though not likely -- is for Blizzard to essentially totally revamp the game using its level-scaling tech. I'm in general against level scaling in games, but with a game as old as WoW, it seems like a viable way to restore some sanity and balance to what has become a very choatic leveling experience. I'd stick Northrend and Outland in the Caverns of Time and focus this expansion on Azeroth.

I want to be out in the world again. I want Azeroth to matter. I hate that every five or ten levels, a zone and all of its lore becomes irrelevant outside of the occasional class quest. With the technology that Blizzard has demoed in Legion, they can really improve the game by implementing level squish and restoring the sense of a coherent game world once again.

Zelias

Banned
I don't main Shadow, but if I recall 2p was okay and 4p was massive (one of the strongest T20 set bonuses of any spec).

www.howtopriest.com forums have lots of great numbers if you're curious on the specifics.
Thanks for that. I got some pieces raiding tonight (already had 920 shoulders from HC, got 900 legs from Normal and 885 Chest/Gloves from RF) and I ran sims and apparently that's still a DPS gain even given the low item levels of a few pieces. So I'll give it a whirl. Apparently the 4p set bonus really smooths out the SPriest playstyle too.

TheYanger

What I'm hoping for -- and I think it's possible, though not likely -- is for Blizzard to essentially totally revamp the game using its level-scaling tech. I'm in general against level scaling in games, but with a game as old as WoW, it seems like a viable way to restore some sanity and balance to what has become a very choatic leveling experience. I'd stick Northrend and Outland in the Caverns of Time and focus this expansion on Azeroth.

I want to be out in the world again. I want Azeroth to matter. I hate that every five or ten levels, a zone and all of its lore becomes irrelevant outside of the occasional class quest. With the technology that Blizzard has demoed in Legion, they can really improve the game by implementing level squish and restoring the sense of a coherent game world once again.

I've always thought what would work well is putting zones as like 1-10 for newbie zones accross the board, and then making everything else into basically 20 level ranges, so that you'd do 1-60 over the course of like 3 zones of your choice. As opposed to now where questing feels futile at all. I like questing a lot, I'd RATHER quest than spam dungeons, but the game fights you trying to do it. I don't think making it ALL scale universally is the answer, like...Burning Steppes SHOULD be harder than Elwynn forest, but I think it could be blurred a lot more. Then you could scale the expansion zones for that entire level range. All TBC zones could be 60-70, all wrath 70-80, etc. It keeps things era appropriate and manageable.

lazygecko

They implemented universal scaling into the Elder Scrolls Online zones and it was really a huge boon for the game. A lot of zones also had world bosses and repeatable quests for gear sets and cosmetic rewards as well ensuring zones remaing roughly equally active with players in them. Similar systems for WoW are definitely needed. Hell, you can just extrapolate the world quest system to all of Azeroth and put them into the emissary rotation.

One of the core problems with leveling is how the zones are gated and how experience gained has drastically increased over the years. Even without heirlooms you will outlevel a zone midway through it. There's no motivation, beyond earning an achievement, to remain in a zone once you've outleveled it. It's not financially rewarding, you don't earn decent looking gear from quests, you're better off skipping ahead to the next zone chasing increased experience gain and slightly better gold gain from quest rewards. They either need to adjust the level gating for zones so it's more in-line with the rate at which experience is currently gained or add the Legion level scaling to the rest of the game. They also need to incentivise players to quest more in PVE. Modernising the gold gain, improving how gear rewards look, make it so people would want to play more through PVE instead of just spamming the dungeon queue. If you've been playing for a long time you're probably sitting on a Scrooge McDuck-like pile of gold but all of the riding/flying licences and bags are a steep hill to climb for a new player if they're leveling through legacy content. Especially the jump in prices from 60-70 licences, it goes from 400 to 4000 gold. Making it so PVE hands out a more modern financial reward would help as would lowering some of those costs.

They definitely need to update the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor but they need to make those zones expansion agnostic so you don't end up with Cata zones that are hilariously outdated like Stone Talon Mountain.

Adding World Quests to the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor as a way to earn legacy reps (like the Hydraxian Waterlords) and emissary caches with level/class/spec relevant gear would also drive players to be in legacy zones.

Pre

I'd like to see a lot of scaled high-level questing content in vanilla zones. For instance, Durotar shouldn't necessarily always be 1-10 content. Stranglethorn shouldn't necessarily have just content for toons in their 20s. It'd be really cool to see Blizzard develop storylines (such as race-based campaigns that advance the story of individual player races) that feature quests scaled for high-level players across Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor. I'd like to go back to a lot of those zones and see what's happened in the years since we last visited them. It's pretty likely we'll get world quests in vanilla zones, but they can do so much more with it.

Does anyone know a /command to do the roar animation without the actual roar? Because Roaring activates the Wing-helmet and makes the wing pop out(And I know that Warlocks had an ability that was the aoe fear, well used to, that would proc the wings appearing)

Simply because I want to macro it to like, my Icy Veins key, without actually roaring.

Rizzi

Trying to decide between Power Cord of Lethtendris and Sacrolash's Dark Strike on my warlock. I really don't want to get rid of The Master Harvester, so I have to decide.

Top Bottom