• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Bane

A friend of mine wants to get into the game and is looking to buy a laptop that can run it decently enough. I play on a desktop and know fuck all about laptops so am not sure what to tell him. Are there any good options he should look at in the $500-$600 range? Again, he's not looking to max anything out. Though an SSD would be preferred if possible.

Would looking at used somewhat older gaming models be a good way to go?

Thanks for any help.

cdyhybrid

GQlvvNh.jpg

Awwww yeah

Tarazet

I'm conflicted what to do with my Priest. I got a crazy 930 Whispers in the Dark, but it isn't making as much of a difference to my performance in Shadow as I expected.

The conflict intensified today when I kicked over a chest in Aszuna while doing the emissary and out came Prydaz.

So with Soul of the High Priest and Prydaz, I have two of the best pieces for playing Discipline, which I already felt like I got the hang of and was performing pretty well at. I just wish the playstyle wasn't so unfriendly. Even with ToT and mouseover macros, it's really intensive and keeping on top of it takes a lot of attention away from watching mechanics.

TheYanger

I'm conflicted what to do with my Priest. I got a crazy 930 Whispers in the Dark, but it isn't making as much of a difference to my performance in Shadow as I expected.

The conflict intensified today when I kicked over a chest in Aszuna while doing the emissary and out came Prydaz.

So with Soul of the High Priest and Prydaz, I have two of the best pieces for playing Discipline, which I already felt like I got the hang of and was performing pretty well at. I just wish the playstyle wasn't so unfriendly. Even with ToT and mouseover macros, it's really intensive and keeping on top of it takes a lot of attention away from watching mechanics.

I'd honestly say just go for whatever spec appeals to you the most. They're both going to have a learning curve, and the only way you'll overcome that feeling with disc (or shadow) is by playing that spec a lot until it becomes second nature.

Adaren

Here are some Discipline macros that might streamline the spec a bit for you:

This is a Smite macro that tab targets an enemy if you're in combat. It's awesome during dungeons, since it saves you from having to worry about picking a new target when your current one dies. The [nochanneling:penance] means that mashing the key won't interrupt your Penance, though it does introduce a small amount of lag (based on your latency) on the first spell you cast after you finish a Penance. I think that the [nochanneling] is worth it just for the quality of life improvement and the added mental bandwidth it frees up, but you can remove it if you want to go super min/max. You can also use the same macro for other damage spells (like Shadow Word: Pain).
Code:
#showtooltip Smite
/targetenemy [combat,noexists][combat,help][combat,dead]
/cast [nochanneling:Penance] Smite

Here's my somewhat-crazy Penance macro. The order of what it will do is:
1. If you're targeting an ally or enemy, cast Penance on that target.
2. If you're in combat and not targeting anything, tab target an enemy and cast Penance on that target.
3. Cast Penance at your mouseover.
Most of the time you want to cast Penance as a damage spell, but this lets you left click an ally to target them in cases where you want to use it as a direct heal, which can be a life-saver in dungeons.
Code:
#showtooltip Penance
/targetenemy [combat,noexists][combat,dead]
/cast [@target,exists,nodead,nochanneling:Penance][@mouseover,exists,nochanneling:Penance][] Penance
/stopspelltarget

This is my Plea macro. It isn't that much fancier than a normal mouseover macro, so you're probably good here. I use the same macro for all of my ally-targetting spells.
Code:
#showtooltip Plea
/cast [@mouseover,nodead,help,nochanneling:Penance][nochanneling:Penance] Plea
/stopspelltarget

That said, play what you want to. The biggest difference between the two specs if obviously that Shadow is a DPS and Disc is a Healer. Even though Disc pumps out good DPS and can do strong burst damage in world content, you're ultimately the one responsible for keeping people alive in a group setting. Atonement is just one of your many tools for doing that.

A friend of mine wants to get into the game and is looking to buy a laptop that can run it decently enough. I play on a desktop and know fuck all about laptops so am not sure what to tell him. Are there any good options he should look at in the $500-$600 range? Again, he's not looking to max anything out. Though an SSD would be preferred if possible.

Would looking at used somewhat older gaming models be a good way to go?

Thanks for any help.
This game scales incredibly well, so $500-600 will be plenty if your friend doesn't want to max it out. With an SSD as well though... that might be tricky. Have you tried asking in the gaming laptop thread? Those guys are great at answering questions like this with all the detail you could possibly need and then some. WoW is a common use scenario over there.

Savitar

This game scales incredibly well, so $500-600 will be plenty if your friend doesn't want to max it out. With an SSD as well though... that might be tricky. Have you tried asking in the gaming laptop thread? Those guys are great at answering questions like this with all the detail you could possibly need and then some. WoW is a common use scenario over there.

It scales well but it's no longer you can play it on just any old computer like the old days. Definitely need some RAM to handle big things happening unless you want stuttering and a half way decent video card.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah, even if the game is 13 years old(damn, that's old), that doesn't mean a computer from 2007 can run it very well. Well, it guess it could if you put everything as low as possible...

Bane

Yeah, I know with Legion they raised the required specs to where it wouldn't just run on anything anymore.

I didn't even know there was a laptop thread so I'll ask them about it, thanks for the heads up.

Tarazet

So is this new Argus set of world quests meant to be a supplement to the Azeroth ones or a complete replacement?

It's a replacement only if you've exhausted the need for the rewards from the other emissary quests. If you have every legendary you need, all champions at titled and capped ilvl, and item level 930+ then you're not going to have much use for anything outside Argus' much higher rewards in terms of AP and gambling for titanforges.

lazygecko

So is this new Argus set of world quests meant to be a supplement to the Azeroth ones or a complete replacement?

Argus quests generally offer better rewards in gear item level (Actually I don't think any of the Argus WQs reward gear directly?), resources and gold. But the emissary dailies are still the same and the Argus emissaries share the rotation with the old Broken Isles ones.

Bisnic

Personally haven't bothered with non-Argus WQs for a while. Argus WQs gives more gold, more resources and more AP. Gear rewards are more rare, especially anything but relics, but you get so much of the new currency by doing weekly quests, invasions, opening treasures, killing elites and doing emissary quests, that you can easily buy 910 gear at least twice a week, so it makes doing the old WQs for 875-880 gear even more pointless unless you got a brand new lvl 110 alt.

Syf

Banned
You only earn the tokens if you already have all legendaries for your class lol. He says they'll probably up the chance of the first few drops, at least.

Argus whistle upgrade will be account-wide.

55 is likely the final level of artifact knowledge in Legion.

Sylvanas/Greymane story will be picked up again for sure (doesn't mention if he means in Legion or later).

Regrets the randomness of legendaries, still not satisfied. I think this is a sign that it'll be either gone or drastically changed for the next expansion.

Tech work is done for enabling further connecting realms. Expect more connected realms soon for low pop.

Bisnic

Muse is gonna be playing the closing ceremony to BlizzCon!

My sadness of not going this year rises!

Me and my girlfriend are big Muse & Blizzard fans, so it would have been perfect for us, even as a Virtual ticket.

Unfortunately, we're at Cancun during that time. Oh well!

DId they say anything about pvp in the QA? I'm grinding out prestige and I'm pretty sure I"m going to stop. Getting to level 15 for the last skin seems like a futile effort.

Me and my girlfriend are big Muse & Blizzard fans, so it would have been perfect for us, even as a Virtual ticket.

Unfortunately, we're at Cancun during that time. Oh well!

Cry into your pina colada on the beach. lol

My blood DK is something like ilvl 905-910 and did HFC heroic 25. I got killed by a doom spell in the last fight, then it wasn't an issue the second attempt, and I got knocked off the platform against Mannoroth when the jerk had 8% health left.

Oh, and I didn't even know everyone was supposed to get a bonus roll in greater rifts, really. I did at least 3-4 of them with absolutely no reward, then one today gave me a roll. So I guess I've been getting screwed.

eh? the rift doesn't disappear

Shit, my blood dk is sitting at like 920, so I'll have to give it a shot. I mainly want loot from the first five bosses so I'm good. How long is it taking you?

Yanger, it's not on the map so I was assuming it disappeared. I'll go back to it tonight and see if I can get a bonus roll out.

Syf

Banned
DId they say anything about pvp in the QA? I'm grinding out prestige and I'm pretty sure I"m going to stop. Getting to level 15 for the last skin seems like a futile effort.
He was asked about making prestige account wide and sort of gave a non-answer. Maybe look into it but not really sort of deal. Wants prestige to be indicative of how much experience you have playing on that character. Might look at changing things if the community feels they're adding too many levels and you can never feel done.

I figured challenge skins would go away after Legion because of the challenge stuff from the last two expansions, but now it's nice to know for sure they are. My quest for all challenge skins for all 12 classes will now be ramped up.

Not sure if I should start buying tokens now for game time, or wait. I doubt the price will go down, but 168k kinda sucks. I have a little over a million on a couple servers (800k horde, 200k alliance), and it seems like you can make around enough for a token by just doing gold reward missions on the app each day.

Shit, my blood dk is sitting at like 920, so I'll have to give it a shot. I mainly want loot from the first five bosses so I'm good. How long is it taking you?

Should be cake at 920. I didn't pay attention to how long it took, but the food that lets you run faster after kills (bear tartare?) is a real timesaver on a slow ass DK.

Well damn. They're going to hype me into buying a ticket, aren't they? I'll see how many WoW panels there are, because it's the only game in their roster that interests me, but if there are enough of them I'll happily drop the cash on BlizzCon this year.

Also, am I the only one hoping for a Cataclysm style expansion that focuses on the new player experience again? Because it's hard to recommend the game to new players in the current state when you have to say "basically ignore everything up to level 100 because nothing is relevant or balanced until then anyway. You'll outlevel old stories before they get even half way through, and your class playstyle will feel incomplete all the way through."

I feel like they wouldn't even need to change the quests much either. Just rewrite the text surrounding most of them to be about "cleaning up" the damage caused from past storylines like Deathwing, and update all the assets used so it looks modern. Combined with Legion's leveled zone system so you can go anywhere at any time, and add some zone-completion story quests to entice players to stick it out in each zone for a while (like being able to get rid of those whirlwinds in Westfall and Darkshore) and I think they could get this game in a much healthier state for new players and alt characters with significantly less work than Cata required. No complete zone overhauls and entirely new quest designs needed - just cleverly repackage what exists into a "clean up" quest line so it all seems relevant again, looks modern, and perhaps most importantly won't go back to being dated one expansion later which a complete quest and landscape overhaul about Void Lords or whatever would. Also world quests for Azeroth because THE POTENTIAL THERE OH MY GOD.

Absolutely yes, all of this. It's hard to sell new players on the game when the character creator is ancient and they have to go through 80-85 levels of old, monotonous questing to get to where the game starts to feel current.

I mean, I'm sure Blizzard has the complete picture and can see where new players are quitting, but anecdotally if I want a friend to play and actually make it to current content, I have to be there with them constantly reinforcing the idea that it does get better if you can stand the early leveling.

I'll be fully behind Blizzard if they decide to try another cata-style revamp of at least some of the content, or even allow it to be skipped entirely. The leveling does need to be addressed in some way, imo.

I think at this point it's pretty neccesary. We've been trying to get my son into the game because he wants to play with us and the leveling really is a disjointed mess. I realize Blizz needs to do a lot to keep current players and maybe they're past trying to attract new ones. But with that said, I hope they do some revamping because leveling really is stupid.

Honestly, I know it's selfish, but no I don't want them to focus on new players. At most they should just rebalance exp and level ranges so that no one ever has to go to Northrend or Outland. Everyone else can just use the free character boost.

The free character boost is completely overwhelming for most new people. At a minimum they need to rebalance questing, apply something to the leveling curve so you don't out level the areas you're in, or make it so you can go back to westfall or something at level 60 if you decide to and still get levels. The current questing is completely horrid for new players. The old world feels like it should, but with everything going on you get the impression that WoW is just glued together and that's a huge problem. I firmly believe that part of the appeal of vanilla was that it truly felt like a world. Current wow does not. They can fix that by adjusting the leveling curve and updating some quests. It doesn't have to be as major as the cata revamp.

He was asked about making prestige account wide and sort of gave a non-answer. Maybe look into it but not really sort of deal. Wants prestige to be indicative of how much experience you have playing on that character. Might look at changing things if the community feels they're adding too many levels and you can never feel done.

Guess I need to tweet at him because it feels never ending, especially since some of the skins I want I need to be level 15 to get.

More connected realms would be great. There are 6 RP-PvP servers in NA. There's Emerald Dream, which is one of the biggest servers overall and isn't connected.

And then there's VeCo / Lightninghoof / Maelstrom and Ravenholdt / Twisting Nether, which all combined is not even 2/3 of Emerald Dream's population. These servers only CRZ with each other, and in the case of the latter two, are effectively permanently CRZ with each other due to low pop. Combined they'd be a respectful server size with a larger stable of raiders and a much healthier AH while changing absolutely nothing in the world.

The free character boost is completely overwhelming for most new people.

Coming back to the game a few weeks after Legion launch after having not played since Cata, I experienced a bit of decision paralysis with the boost and ended up not using it for months. I can't imagine how completely new players feel. Class trials help but it's still nowhere near the full picture.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I feel like the Q&As never ask good questions. So much is wasted on the same philosophy questions with class balance and RNG. I think we get that they have their decisions made and there's not much feedback that's going to change it.

I want to know more about connected realms, what their plans for raiding as a communal activity or role in the midst of mythic dungeon focus, other quality of life and game systems questions.

More connected realms would be great. There are 6 RP-PvP servers in NA. There's Emerald Dream, which is one of the biggest servers overall and isn't connected.

And then there's VeCo / Lightninghoof / Maelstrom and Ravenholdt / Twisting Nether, which all combined is not even 2/3 of Emerald Dream's population. These servers only CRZ with each other, and in the case of the latter two, are effectively permanently CRZ with each other due to low pop. Combined they'd be a respectful server size with a larger stable of raiders and a much healthier AH while changing absolutely nothing in the world.

Coming back to the game a few weeks after Legion launch after having not played since Cata, I experienced a bit of decision paralysis with the boost and ended up not using it for months. I can't imagine how completely new players feel. Class trials help but it's still nowhere near the full picture.

Exactly. People saying the boost is enough are people who, for the most part, have continuously played from one time to another so they can absorb the changes. Some one coming in fresh is going to be completely overwhelmed at 100. So their option is to start leveling and that's completely disjointed.

vilmer_

I think WoW is in a great spot right now. They did a fantastic job with Legion, and now I find myself hyped for a new expansion in quite some time!

The group thing is basically useless to me unless you can see the chats in-game, which you can't right now. Given you can't see current group chats in-game either I'm not optimistic.

Why did they have to remove bnet conversations?

Fjordson

You only earn the tokens if you already have all legendaries for your class.l
Well that sucks. Guess I'll continue to be stuck with shit legendaries for a while (because I know the two I actually want won't drop until I have all the other ones).

Edit: watching the rest of the Q&A, I should mention that Ion is awesome and I think he and the team have done a great job with Legion. The legendary system is just my one pain point with the game right now.

Syf

Banned
Edit: watching the rest of the Q&A, I should mention that Ion is awesome and I think he and the team have done a great job with Legion. The legendary system is just my one pain point with the game right now.
Yeah, I like him too. It's a bit frustrating they aren't willing to do more for the legendary system now, but I got the impression he understands the issues pretty well. Confident it'll be addressed next expansion.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, I like him too. It's a bit frustrating they aren't willing to do more for the legendary system now, but I got the impression he understands the issues pretty well. Confident it'll be addressed next expansion.

Yeah, it's too late to truly fix it in a manner that will make everyone happy. All I can realistically hope for is that they learned the lessons there and won't repeat the mistakes moving forward, and based on the answers I'm satisfied that they have.

Time will tell, of course.

God, I hate the prestige system for PVP I played for like 5 hours today and lost every single fucking game. I don't mind losing I still enjoy a close game but it feels like 90% of these matches end in a total blow out with us getting farmed and then getting rewarded with 100 honor woo fucking hoo.

lazygecko

God, I hate the prestige system for PVP I played for like 5 hours today and lost every single fucking game. I don't mind losing I still enjoy a close game but it feels like 90% of these matches end in a total blow out with us getting farmed and then getting rewarded with 100 honor woo fucking hoo.

Assuming you're horde (Alliance usually gets a lot of honor even from losses because of the call to arms buff), there's always the mercenary mode in Dalaran sewers. Failing that, get in a PvP guild and queue up with some guildies to raise your chances.

Oh, and blacklist Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest as horde. (Means you'll have to put up with Temple of Kotmogu 80% of the time though).

Assuming you're horde (Alliance usually gets a lot of honor even from losses because of the call to arms buff), there's always the mercenary mode in Dalaran sewers. Failing that, get in a PvP guild and queue up with some guildies to raise your chances.

Oh, and blacklist Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest as horde. (Means you'll have to put up with Temple of Kotmogu 80% of the time though).

I'm horde I didn't know about the call to arms what exactly does it do? How do you enable Mercenary mode I only came back to the game a few days ago and got the pvp bug recently. I have those blacklisted already I mostly end up doing the one with the mine carts the most.

Bisnic

I don't bother doing battlegrounds, but if you only get 100 honor...you might be better off doing PVP WQs(that don't have any actual PVP, except that one 500 honor WQ) that gives 300 honor and takes like 5-10 mins. :p

I don't bother doing battlegrounds, but if you only get 100 honor...you might be better off doing PVP WQs(that don't have any actual PVP, except that one 500 honor WQ) that gives 300 honor and takes like 5-10 mins. :p

I took the advice above and signed up as a merc double honor from the bonus so even if I lose I'm not doing bad and I'm mostly only playing for fun so if I win woot. God damn 500 honor from one BG and we fucking lost that's more honor than I got from my last 3 games combined.

lazygecko

Alliance gets call to arms because of the population disparity between Horde and Alliance PvPers.

Last week was the Battlegrounds weekly event and you got a shit ton of honor with both multipliers stacking if you queued as Alliance.

As allied, all I play is AV. It’s my favorite map of all time. I like quick wins, quick losses, and love a good turtle on either side. As a druid I can contribute in so many different ways, from tower defense, boss tanking, or stealth attacking several objectives.

As allied, all I play is AV. It’s my favorite map of all time. I like quick wins, quick losses, and love a good turtle on either side. As a druid I can contribute in so many different ways, from tower defense, boss tanking, or stealth attacking several objectives.

Yeah, I do the same thing and occasionally throw some Isle of Conquest into the mix. I love those huge battlegrounds with lots of people included. Wish they would add more maps like that.

How much honor are you getting out of that?

Yeah, I do the same thing and occasionally throw some Isle of Conquest into the mix. I love those huge battlegrounds with lots of people included. Wish they would add more maps like that.

That's why I loved Wintergrasp (at least until the population imbalance got out of hand on my server) - it really felt like it was a major battle between the factions, with a variety of things to do.

How much honor are you getting out of that?

It all depends. If it turns into a turtle I can do quite well just by kills alone, even if we lose. Luckily alliance do pretty well in AV too. We probably win 7/10 or so.

Best of all, I just have straight up fun every time I am in AV.

Top Bottom