• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Finally reached AK25 on my lock and unlocked the purple skin for my scythe. Now I need a cool purple transmog to go along with it.

Hallowed Raiment set from BC dungeons.

$

I found Draenor curator wayyyyy easier than Pandaria Curator (which I still haven't completed what the hell) because with a mage tower you could spam archeology missions, also the continent is smaller. But whoever added the digsites in the middle of elites is a top tier sadist.

Pandaria Curator is fucking stupid, full stop. Thats how you can tell they immediately gave up on Arch after Cataclysm.

I hate how many neutral legendaries can roll for a mage.

Im at the point where if I dont get a fire mage legendary like the Pyroblast or Breath one, then Im shit outta luck for progression. And looking at the remaining legendaries, if I get another neutral one U might as well make a new mage :|

I hate how many neutral legendaries can roll for a mage.

Im at the point where if I dont get a fire mage legendary like the Pyroblast or Breath one, then Im shit outta luck for progression. And looking at the remaining legendaries, if I get another neutral one U might as well make a new mage :|

Reroll as Frost ❄️

Tacitus_

Hmmm, I'm new to WoW. What server does the majority of GAF play on? What classes are fun to play? The game isn't grindy does that mean I'm basically gunna hit level cap real fast without having a chance to explore?

There is no GAF server. All classes are fun in their own way. Just try them out with the class trials. If you just quest normally, you won't hit most of the zones before reaching Legion, the current expansion. There's nothing stopping you from going off on your own however.

There is no GAF server. All classes are fun in their own way. Just try them out with the class trials. If you just quest normally, you won't hit most of the zones before reaching Legion, the current expansion. There's nothing stopping you from going off on your own however.

So, everyone just plays on their own? Bummer.

Hmmm, I'm new to WoW. What server does the majority of GAF play on? What classes are fun to play? The game isn't grindy does that mean I'm basically gunna hit level cap real fast without having a chance to explore?

There is no "GAF" community server, unlike in newer MMOs. WoW is just too old and we're all fragmented into our own guilds. At most there will be a few of us on one server. GAF guilds don't work anyway, the way the end-game is structured --- you need to find people whose goals closely align with your own for the game to be enjoyable, and there's too much variance on GAF (namely - most GAF players are going to be on the more casual end of the spectrum, compared to the people who post in this thread regularly.)

You can, however, through the magic of cross-realm tech, group for all but the very highest end current PvE content with anyone of your faction. Been doing some dungeon stuff with Anbokr and crew lately - we knocked out a M+16 Maw in time yesterday, and I need to hit up Einchy (we're on the same server) sometime to do stuff as well.

------

All classes have their pros and cons, just pick what sounds interesting to you and don't worry about it too much. There's always going to be "flavor of the month" classes each patch to some extent, but right now the game is mostly balanced. For a new player, unless you're really drawn to healing/the class fantasy, I personally would avoid Priest as 2 out of their 3 specs are healing. Though their DPS spec is fairly strong. The other thing I would avoid right now is playing Survival (melee spec) Hunter. For reasons other people can elaborate on. If you want to play ranged caster I would recommend Mage (albeit in high-end raiding they're a bit weak at the moment, they have been historically strong) - they have 3 distinct DPS specs. For a melee, I would probably pick a Warrior or Monk. Additionally, I recommend playing these as DPS (damage-dealers) as opposed to Tanks or Healers, just because there's a higher burden of knowledge on the tank and healing roles that is probably a bit much for new players to swallow while also learning other aspects of the game.

Besides that I mean, just read the descriptions at character creation if you want to get a basic feel for what a class will be like. Or feel free to level a bunch of different characters to around 20 or so to get a better grasp yourself. You can always watch videos/streams too if you're so inclined.

--------

As for your last question, the way the game has evolved over the years is that you'll pretty much blast through early leveling content, faster than you can even complete the full story in a zone/area (unless you want to still do the quests despite them no longer giving relevant rewards or XP). This is because the level cap has been raised each expansion, but so that the time to reach cap for new characters isn't excessively long. There's still a fair bit of exploring to be done though, and if you're into just seeing new places in the world, then I would avoid doing many dungeons, as at lower levels they provide probably excessive XP - you can potentially gain several levels from a single one. However there's nothing stopping you from going back to areas you may have missed or whatever.

The real grind begins at level cap, where you can work on improving your character's power much more incrementally over time through artifact power (Legion system that's essentially XP after hitting 110) and gear drops. It may take a couple days of /played time to hit level cap for a first character, but you can sink days and days, still improving your character at cap. Besides pursuing gear for cosmetic reasons (transmog) or doing other activities like pet battling, etc.

I think that's a detailed enough answer for now though :p

Well, is there really any reason to do quests? Are they interesting or all just crappy fetch quests? I know in TESO the side quests are usually pretty good and offer good rewards.

Well, is there really any reason to do quests? Are they interesting or all just crappy fetch quests? I know in TESO the side quests are usually pretty good and offer good rewards.

Quests are the main function by which you level and obtain gear while leveling. Just killing mobs, "grinding" is a horribly inefficient waste of time.

Sure there are fetch quests, kill quests, etc. But they've gotten better over the years in having interesting stories/mechanics, but you're still gonna have fetch X, kill X, interact with X, etc. as staple mechanics. One downside to the evolution of having a greater story focus however, is that in doing so, they make repeating the content on alt characters less enjoyable since there are more linear paths.

Someone else can elaborate more though - I need to head over to class quick!

Tacitus_

So, everyone just plays on their own? Bummer.
More like with the people they've been playing with. Different people have different wants and needs from their guild so a GAF guild could not work.

Quests are your main way to get experience, reputation and gear (while leveling). Though they are mainly the "go there and kill/loot/gather x amount of stuff" variety.

I'm not sure how it really fares for tanks, but you almost may as well set your loot spec to Havoc and pray for Anger of the Half-Giants at this point. Cinidaria is 2nd-3rd BiS depending. It's got perfect stats too. Only other thing that would potentially be better after the ring as 1st is the meta shoulders, but you need a couple other things to really make that work well, and is fight length dependent.

DH tanks are kinda shit right now TBH.

Well unfortunately they're a lot more fun than my blood DK currently. Maybe I'll give the warrior a go.

The past few exapansions have really worked on quests having a more palatable story compared to older expansions, and alotta times yiu can get neat loot from em.

Are they even better than fire

I dont feel them

Well, better single target than fire, and in 2-target cleave I believe. Though most fights in Nighthold have AoE to some extent.

It's actually sorta similar, Ice Lance procs are sorta like Pyro ones. But Blizzard doesn't really interact with the core mechanics like Flamestrike does.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

A lot of the world quests unlock via completing the regular quests, which is why my DK never sees the number of trinkets and relics my Rogue does (my rogue did way more quests).

A lot of the world quests unlock via completing the regular quests, which is why my DK never sees the number of trinkets and relics my Rogue does (my rogue did way more quests).

Note that this answer is in reference to Legion content specifically. The original question was from a new player in regards to quests in general.

Nokterian

Havoc Demon Hunter is fun, at the start i never liked them but now with 7.1.5 i am getting a better feel of it. Love the gliding in stormheim and highmountain.

Corpekata

Banned
Was going to say, I got my fourth legendary on my boomkin (the lame chest piece) waaaay sooner than I thought I would. That falls in line with them nuking the depreciation, as I had, if anything, slowed down on stuff with him.

Lomax

Token prices seem to have settled down and normalized to about 50% higher than their pre-battle.net change value, roughly 90k in NA and 165k in EU.

Lain

The lock class hall set and the set that drops from the ritual of doom both have purple elements, and the shadowmoon set from the garrison armor scraps does as well. My look is purple and mostly a combination of all those.

Nice list of suggestions, thanks a lot!

Was considering race changing my monk now, but blood elves are too damn petite for the animations to look good, even if the gear might look better (tested with orb of the sin'dorei) Alliance definitely wins in my book when it comes to viable looking monk races - Draenei (female), Humans, and Night Elves are all pretty solid.

Sticking with my female orc monk for now. Pandaren aren't bad (females), but the armor still stretches on them a bit.

Tarazet

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Kael'thas/Saega/advanced

I've pretty much finished my 98 Ret Paladin now, because the upgrades at this point are so small and insignificant. I could put on enchants and some of the 6/6 Draenor crafted items, but it's a lot of effort and mats for a miniscule amount of power gain. There is an enormous gulf between the 675 dungeon items and the four 800 pieces from finishing the zones and that was the main driver of this experiment.

In PvE content, this toon is really powerful. Normal mobs get one-shot by Judgment and rare elites that aren't 110 do down in 10-15 seconds. In normal Legion dungeons, because of the scaling, it looks like I am doing 600k+ DPS when I am actually doing around 80K. But in PvP, all of that advantage in item level only nets me, according to the tooltip, 11% more stats. Somehow with their fuzzy logic that equates to about 25% more health. So you'll win a fair 1v1 fight against someone with just OK gear in your bracket, but you're not going to roflstomp anyone.

Solid as a PvE farming toon. Beyond that, fun but not as impressive as it could have been if there were some BoE epics available at 98 in the Broken Isles.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Was thinking I might resub soon and found a 30 day time card on ebay for 9 bucks.

OH WELL I GUESS I'M PLAYING WOW AGAIN

Fularu

Banned
Got my second legendary! it's...

SEPHUZ'S SECRET

Kill me now.

Sephuz is great on fights with interupts.

There are many of those in NH :

- Chronomatic Anomaly
- Spellblade (adds)
- Tichondrius (adds)
- Grand Magister
- Krosus (adds)

That's 5 fights were the interupt buff is really strong. Legendaries aren't meant to be "equip on forget" items and I'm glad that's the case tbh.

If you play a tank or a melee DPS, interrupting should be just a normal part of doing business. If not, that's on you.

If you play a caster, well, that sucks.

Well yeah. It's not hard to use Sephuz, and as a rogue who primarily does M+, it didn't change my playstyle one bit (I have the Outlaw bracers, too, so that alone ensures I'm getting the full value out of Sephuz).

I was just addressing that a lot of legendaries are effectively equip and forget (or have very small alterations to gameplay to fully utilize). And a lot of those are good legendaries and universally useful (where Sephuz happens to not be).

For an Outlaw rogue, I'd say 5/10 have little to no effect on how your play. 9/10 Guardian ones are the same depending on you view the Barkskin head. 7/10 brewmaster ones, IMO. And if you consider the trinkets as little to no effect since on-use trinkets are a thing anyway, add 1 to all those numbers.

Some might make it better if you spec a certain way, but can still be used without changing your playstyle (like Eye of the Twisting Nether for shaman or the Outlaw boots).

Not if you want to min/max depending on the encounter.

A lot still fit those criteria just by virtue of being the best or tied for the best for nearly every situation, like the Beast Master shoulders and belt.

v1perz53

Not if you want to min/max depending on the encounter.

I think what they meant was there are plenty of classes that have at least one legendary that is BiS for cleave, AoE and ST, so no matter the min-maxing you would still use that one. Generally ends up only being classes that don't value haste though, since as you said Sephuz is REALLY strong now on any fight where it can proc for classes that want haste at all.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The problem with Sephuz is the same problem with most non-crazy effect jewelry -- if the main stat is garbage it feels really terrible. So for example, all 3 warrior specs hate crit like the fucking plague, it's completely worthless and so Sephuz eats up a valuable source of 3000+ secondaries and loads you up with that garbage crit.

For a spec like arms where mastery on jewelry isn't optional, Sephuz is completely worthless -- effect or no effect.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Man, so many people are going Fury right now. We went from being top 3 worst specs in the game to being FOTM.

TheYanger

Draught + Conv made us viable.

I really don't see how we're going to change trinkets before 8.0. Conv is THAT good.

To me the biggest problem this xpac is related to trinkets and how anything can titanforge/etc up. Even if Convention would normally get surpassed in most expansions by pure ilevel, it won't this time because you can still just get a 960 or something when the cap bumps up, making it MORE rng and frustrating. I mean shit, look at people who could get max ilevel mementos versus people who were stuck with bad EN trinkets early on, or even now people whose best relics come from places like TOV or EN, nobody wants to keep re-farming higher ilevel versions of items, and THAT sucks dick. Not sure there's a solution other than actually just capping the ilevel lower on 5 man and old raid content, which is a sure way to piss off the 5 man crowd (which I'm still not convinced there is a significant amount of hardcore five man progression oriented people).

In general it's just annoying to have to do basically ALL of the content to approach your bis and any time they add an item with a cool effect (like convergence) that item is just going to be bis until they actually nerf it, but you'll keep wanting a better version of it. At least in the past when an item was better than its level...great, you farm it once and they fucked up and you keep using it, instead of "oh, my 850 one would be a downgrade still, but a 920 one would be bis by a lot"

I do enjoy that items can be of varied levels. It works in a game like Diablo, which to me is where they took inspiration in that regard(looking for the perfect roll)..

...on the flipside Diablo has a bunch of ways to circumvent how you get an item. There isnt a week lock out, and you dont need 19 other people in order for a chance at getting the item. WoW needs something to counter that fact. Make trinkets upgradeable but make it cost gold or a funny item that a raid boss drops that you have to collext X of, so atleast you can work towards upgrading an item.

They need something like that. They added it for old legendaries, but they need to add a system like that for upgrading raid loot and rerolling legendaries.

Someone gave me like 2k gold for signing up to his crappy guild. I thought he was scamming me. He also gave me money to buy a heirloom. I bought 2 giant axes and it's nice.

So, the starting area Trisfall was pretty boring and forgettable but, maaaan Silverpines is pretty awesome. I thought I was going to some random area but, nooooope Silverpines is totally awesome.

Someone gave me like 2k gold for signing up to his crappy guild. I thought he was scamming me. He also gave me money to buy a heirloom. I bought 2 giant axes and it's nice.

So, the starting area Trisfall was pretty boring and forgettable but, maaaan Silverpines is pretty awesome. I thought I was going to some random area but, nooooope Silverpines is totally awesome.

Ah yes :p

So alotta times people will pay so they can make a guild(Probably had you sign their guild charter). Silverpines is pretty neat.(Westfall is....I dislike it too lol.) Yeah, you're simply scratching the surface of the game 8D

TheYanger

Silverpine is a pretty decent overhauled zone. Tirisfal is VERY similar to how it was 13 years ago all things considered, the fourth expansion (Cataclysm) revamped the original world significantly, but some zones received better makeovers than others. As an example, the kinds of stuff you're seeing in Silverpine is more in line with what you'll see again once you get to the level 70+ zones, and is still almost 8 years old at this point compared to the types of questing they put in now.

It's night and day when you compare the oldest zones in the game to the newest ones, Blizz has gotten very effective at SHOWING you a storyline, not saddling you with overly grindy/boring quests (You still kill X things and loot Y things, but it won't be likie 30 just for the sake of making it longer anymore, it'll be like 5-10 and you murder them in a third the time it was 15 years ago). They no longer expect anyone to actually read the quest text (nobody does) so they do a good job of having in game dialogue and chat boxes, etc.

You'll absolutely hit worse zones than Silverpine, but it's possible to find zones that good through the entire 1-60 experience. Then 60-70 is the oldest remaining shit in the game and it's pretty bad, and 70-80 is closer to what you're seeing in Silverpine. 80-85 is the same era as silverpine, and 85-110 are all newer/better.

Syf

Banned
Can confirm 60-70 is the worst questing. When I make a new character, it's around there that I tend to throw my hands up and buy a boost lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
To me the biggest problem this xpac is related to trinkets and how anything can titanforge/etc up. Even if Convention would normally get surpassed in most expansions by pure ilevel, it won't this time because you can still just get a 960 or something when the cap bumps up, making it MORE rng and frustrating. I mean shit, look at people who could get max ilevel mementos versus people who were stuck with bad EN trinkets early on, or even now people whose best relics come from places like TOV or EN, nobody wants to keep re-farming higher ilevel versions of items, and THAT sucks dick. Not sure there's a solution other than actually just capping the ilevel lower on 5 man and old raid content, which is a sure way to piss off the 5 man crowd (which I'm still not convinced there is a significant amount of hardcore five man progression oriented people).

In general it's just annoying to have to do basically ALL of the content to approach your bis and any time they add an item with a cool effect (like convergence) that item is just going to be bis until they actually nerf it, but you'll keep wanting a better version of it. At least in the past when an item was better than its level...great, you farm it once and they fucked up and you keep using it, instead of "oh, my 850 one would be a downgrade still, but a 920 one would be bis by a lot"

I 100% think that this problem can be solved by either making trinkets not be able to warforge, or simply make the wacky effects not change based on ilevel, just stats.

It's one thing when a pair of gloves or boots or something can warforge, it's another when a really niche proc can change like

Nefarious Pact ilevel 900 said:
Equip: Your damaging spells have a chance to grant Nefarious Pact, increasing your casting speed by 49.78% for 12 sec. When Nefarious Pact expires, your casting speed is decreased by 17.02% for 8 sec.

to
Nefarious Pact ilevel 940 said:
Equip: Your damaging spells have a chance to grant Nefarious Pact, increasing your casting speed by 72.27% for 12 sec. When Nefarious Pact expires, your casting speed is decreased by 24.71% for 8 sec.

The amount of swing between two of the same items just based on RNG off heroic is insane. It's not really "fun" to be at such the mercy of luck.

Top Bottom