• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Tarazet

Can't really speak for PVP but in PVE, specifically dungeon content, Mistweaver is great. Monks are very mobile, between Roll and Tiger's Lust it's easy to keep up with every tank spec, even Druids. Monks have a decent mixture of insta-cast abilities/talents and channels, so you can spot heal a tank while they're doing a massive chain pull before you have to plant and channel. Roll, Tiger's Lust and Transcendence give you lots of mobility during boss fights. MW also has some pretty decent "oh shit" buttons for varying degrees of severity in Thunder Focus Tea, Essence Font, Life Cocoon and Revival.

Took me a while to wrap my head over Legion MW but it's fun.

MW has always had the ability to quickly turn all of its mana into a massive burst of healing. Works great in dungeons when you can drink after every pull, but they have a hard time on long fights because their entire toolkit is so expensive.

Also, am I crazy, or is the MW artifact ability kind of pathetic?

lazygecko

Horde has been pretty miserable for me in bgs lately. Thought it was just my experience but if someone said it's a trend I'd believe that. My horde teams roll over alliance in straight fights but constantly outplayed on the map. Been on some unpleasant losing streaks past few weeks.

Edit: oh idk never played a monk

The problem is that there are 3 battlegrounds the horde is unilaterally terrible at: Isle of Conquest, Alterac Valley and Temple of Kotmogu. Every sensible player will blacklist those, but you can only blacklist up to 2, so blacklists are pretty much split between AV and ToK. If you blacklist ToK, you have a very high chance of getting AV over and over, and vice versa. There's just no way to win here really.

Corsick

I'm at level 35 now with my monk and it's pretty cool. I liked the Demon Hunter due to it's mobility but needed something that could heal, tank and dps. So that left me with a druid or monk. I liked the Martial arts aspect and it's been fun tanking in dungeons. The biggest thing about the DH for me though is being able to glide around and essentially have no fall damage. Can monks do anything like that? Also worried about having to learn mythic dungeons again as a tank. I always felt horrible for causing wipes when I forgot mechanics of fights. It's part of the process of learning again I guess.

I'm at level 35 now with my monk and it's pretty cool. I liked the Demon Hunter due to it's mobility but needed something that could heal, tank and dps. So that left me with a druid or monk. I liked the Martial arts aspect and it's been cool tanking in dungeons. The biggest thing about the DH for me though is being able to glide around and essentially have no fall damage. Can monks do anything like that? Also worried about having to learn mythic dungeons again as a tank. I always felt horrible for causing wipes when I forgot mechanics of fights. It's part of the processn of learning again I guess.

No, but if you chose pandaren as the race for your monk then they take half damage from falling.

TheYanger

I'm at level 35 now with my monk and it's pretty cool. I liked the Demon Hunter due to it's mobility but needed something that could heal, tank and dps. So that left me with a druid or monk. I liked the Martial arts aspect and it's been fun tanking in dungeons. The biggest thing about the DH for me though is being able to glide around and essentially have no fall damage. Can monks do anything like that? Also worried about having to learn mythic dungeons again as a tank. I always felt horrible for causing wipes when I forgot mechanics of fights. It's part of the process of learning again I guess.

I mean, roll is still insane mobility too.

Adaren

Monks can learn Zen Flight, which can save you from falling in any area where you can fly. You can also buy Goblin Glider Kits.

But yeah, I always thought it was weird for Monks (a class known for their nimbleness and tendency to fall off things) to not have any way to mitigate fall damage. At the very least, Roll should give you a brief 2s buff that reduces fall damage so that you can "roll to break your fall".

MW has always had the ability to quickly turn all of its mana into a massive burst of healing. Works great in dungeons when you can drink after every pull, but they have a hard time on long fights because their entire toolkit is so expensive.

If you're using Effuse as a filler to quickly generate stacks of mist, it can do a good amount of healing between the large single-target heal and the AoE splash that comes with it. I routinely get ~3.5M crits on the primary target, and 1.5M-2M AOE out of it per cast.

It may not be the best, but it's not pathetic, IMO.

I found a great guild on my home server and I've been having a great time playing again. I still have almost all the chat channels turned off but I'm having the most fun I've had on wow in years.

Sheilun's Gift is like the mana-throttle that spending Chi used to be in pre-Legion Mistweaving. Revival with the Blessings of Yu'lon looks more like it's an artifact ability. You summon this giant image of Yu'lon above you when you cast it, burst heal everyone in your party/raid, purge debuffs, add a HoT worth 30% of Revival's initial heal and it has a pretty sizable CD but it's also expensive. Sheilun's Gift is free and how strong or useful it is just depends on how large your mist stack is. Being a free heal is so huge with an otherwise mana hungry healing spec.

Rolled a monk for similar reasons, wanted to be able to tank, heal or dps. Couldn't really get into Druid or Paladin as I didn't enjoy all of the specs but Monk clicked for me. Pandas take reduced falling damage, which may or may not be helpful given you're already leveling a Monk. Good news if you rolled a panda monk, bad news if you haven't. Zen Flight is now a toy you can buy in your Order Hall instead of being a Glyph. You can activate Zen Flight while moving (i.e. falling) but it has the same restrictions applied to it that flying mounts do, it's basically only useable outdoors. At level 30 you have access to 3 different movement talents, Chi Torpedo, Tiger's Lust and Celerity, all have their strengths and drawbacks but all three path along the ground. There's no real equal to Demon Hunter double jump or glide. Monks still are one of the most mobile classes though. Monks probably only trail behind Druids and Demon Hunters in terms of mobility.

So I had this 'alt right' guild whisper me, saying 'IF YOUW ANT TO JOIN AN ALT RIGHT GUILD WHISPER BACK'. I said 'fuck off nazis'. He responded 'No cucks'. I responded 'Then maybe you should leave' and then blocked him.

Maaaan fuck off.

Anyone on Sargeras with a decent guild I could join?

Bregor

So I had this 'alt right' guild whisper me, saying 'IF YOUW ANT TO JOIN AN ALT RIGHT GUILD WHISPER BACK'. I said 'fuck off nazis'. He responded 'No cucks'. I responded 'Then maybe you should leave' and then blocked him.

Maaaan fuck off.

Anyone on Sargeras with a decent guild I could join?

The proper solution to this is always to right click > report. This also puts the sender on ignore IIRC.

The proper solution to this is always to right click > report. This also puts the sender on ignore IIRC.

Eh, I would imagine 'alt-right' isn't really a reportable thing. It's their shitty coded language that depending on who the report gets sent to, it won't do any good.

Savitar

There is a lot of people talking all things politics in game, usually in chat. I ignore them, or mock them. Depends on my mood. Last night one guy got ate another alive by people when he basically ID'ed as alt right.

mclem

So, just got back from pretty much four weeks of holiday, and now really finding out if Artifact Knowledge is effective enough for catch-up! I've gained two levels since getting back on Thursday, which isn't too bad (particularly because I missed most of this weeks TOS clear, so didn't get the big wodge of AP from that). Also finally had the opportunity to open the Crucible, so that's been a big bonus as well; looking forward to the reset and my first full raid to test out the new numbers, and *hopefully* I can hit 66 by then and open the second bonus on my third relic.

What sort of weapon levels are people on at the moment anyway? I know I'm behind-ish, but not sure how big a push I ought to be doing.

Robin64

I hope the next expansion is something a bit more down-to-earth. Facing a boss who has a move that claims to end creation is pretty much "it", let's sort some problems closer to home now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I hope the next expansion is something a bit more down-to-earth. Facing a boss who has a move that claims to end creation is pretty much "it", let's sort some problems closer to home now.

While I agree, it will make all future enemies or dungeon/raid bosses feels worthless.

"Oh, you want to destroy this town/camp? Do you think I'm scared? Do you know that I defeated something that could end all of Azeroth, even creation?"

Robin64

While I agree, it will make all future enemies or dungeon/raid bosses feels worthless.

"Oh, you want to destroy this town/camp? Do you think I'm scared? Do you know that I defeated something that could end all of Azeroth, even creation?"

Yep, this is another problem we have. Are we gods now? We're chilling at the Pantheon level, where do we go now.

This is what always happens in comic books before they realise they need to reset.

Adaren

So, just got back from pretty much four weeks of holiday, and now really finding out if Artifact Knowledge is effective enough for catch-up! I've gained two levels since getting back on Thursday, which isn't too bad (particularly because I missed most of this weeks TOS clear, so didn't get the big wodge of AP from that). Also finally had the opportunity to open the Crucible, so that's been a big bonus as well; looking forward to the reset and my first full raid to test out the new numbers, and *hopefully* I can hit 66 by then and open the second bonus on my third relic.

What sort of weapon levels are people on at the moment anyway? I know I'm behind-ish, but not sure how big a push I ought to be doing.

I’m making my way through 68. I think that most of my guild is around that level.

It’s one thing I like about Artifact Power right now: currently, it doesn’t feel worth it to grind, because if you fall behind then you’ll just have an easier time catching up next week. One less thing to worry about.

Bisnic

How exactly would they do a "reset" in a MMO? We can't suddenly go back to killing regular wolves & boars to save some small town while still being a lvl 120 who defeated the Lich King, Deathwing, a few Old Gods and a fucking planet lol.

Adaren

I feel like they managed to do moderate resets in the early expansions. When we started fighting the Scourge foot soldiers in Northrend, no one cared that you were previously traveling to other planets and personally fighting Kil'jaeden and the Burning Legion. When we landed in Pandaria, no one cared that we were recently battling Deathwing in the Maelstrom alongside Super Saiyan Thrall and the Dragon Aspects. It's okay for expansions to escalate, but new expansions are an opportunity to wipe the slate clean and treat players to a fresh story.

The ”hero" problem is totally the fault of WoW's post-MoP writing bending over backwards to flatter the player at every opportunity. Imagine if we started as garrison peons and worked our way up to be first officers, instead of just being instantly declared Commander of Draenor by Thrall himself 10 minutes after we get there. Imagine if important NPCs like Khadgar still talked with some distance and aloofness (like Wrathion in MoP) instead of treating us like best buddies and equals right off the bat. I've heard Blizzard say that they can't solve this problem after so many expansions, but I don't really understand that since they solved it adequately with every expansion up until WoD.

Maybe Legion's hero-complex plot has to exist because of Artifact weapons, but nonetheless I hope they give our egos a rest next expansion and try to let things get closer to normalcy.

strafer

How exactly would they do a "reset" in a MMO? We can't suddenly go back to killing regular wolves & boars to save some small town while still being a lvl 120 who defeated the Lich King, Deathwing, a few Old Gods and a fucking planet lol.

I would love to get greeted by the Welcome Bear again.

Syf

Banned
Yeah I think some sort of reset should happen after Legion too. Maybe through losing our artifact weapons? Maybe the thing that happens after the raid could affect us too? It's gonna be pretty hard to keep going up from Antorus lol.

Bisnic

Yeah I think some sort of reset should happen after Legion too. Maybe through losing our artifact weapons? Maybe the thing that happens after the raid could affect us too? It's gonna be pretty hard to keep going up from Antorus lol.

Something will probably happen to our artifact weapons in the pre-expansion patch(8.0), turning them into another blue/purple quality weapon. That will be the only excuse we get into getting rid of them.

I will miss having all those passive talents.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is politics "talk" in /2 an NA thing? I never see that on EU.

It became a real issue last year with the rise of Trump and has been a total wasteland since. You basically have to /leave general and trade on every character. It sucks.

Robin64

Can't wait to see what ridiculous thing they pull out of the air to make my Paladin give up the most insane powered up version of Ashbringer ever known.

And then also the invincible shield and the Tyr's hammer that I have in my bank.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Can't wait to see what ridiculous thing they pull out of the air to make my Paladin give up the most insane powered up version of Ashbringer ever known.

And then also the invincible shield and the Tyr's hammer that I have in my bank.

Ya it's like that for a few of the really iconic weapons. Doomhammer, for instance. Or think about Destruction warlock - you have the staff that literally ripped Draenor apart. Can't wait to replace it with a quest green!

Bisnic

Theory : Whatever Sargeras will do at the end of the Antorus raid will disable the super powers of our artifact weapons, but conveniently, that will wait on patch 8.0 rather than the end of Antorus raid... Because, you know, it takes time to disable the power of legendary weapons, I guess?

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Make a new one. Make WoW 2. Some kind of cataclysmic event larger than anything before would be a good excuse.

Bisnic

Make a new one. Make WoW 2. Some kind of cataclysmic event larger than anything before would be a good excuse.

Unless they surprise us this Blizzcon, I doubt that's happening anytime soon. We can't have a more "cataclysmic event" than whatever will happen after Legion. After that, we probably go back to the usual Alliance vs Horde, or Nagas, or Old Gods or that new Void thing.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Unless they surprise us this Blizzcon, I doubt that's happening anytime soon. We can't have a more "cataclysmic event" than whatever will happen after Legion. After that, we probably go back to the usual Alliance vs Horde, or Nagas, or Old Gods or that new Void thing.

Well probably not right now. Maybe after another couple of expansions.

I want to keep all my amazing druid skins. I wonder how that’s going to work.

Yeah, I'm really curious about what kind of system will be in place for those skins. Because of how the class mount works, it makes me think there will be an NPC that we talk to to enable whichever one we want.

Bregor

There is no way that Blizzard will do a true reset to our characters. The player base has 12 years of investment in those characters, it would be suicide for Blizzard to throw that away. Instead they will just come up with a new end game progression system to replace the artifact weapons, and inflate gear and enemies to make the old ones irrelevant, like they always do.

Once we lose the artifacts canonically we should be far weaker. Realistically there aren't a lot of things stronger then an enemy who can unmake the entire universe.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Man legion is incredible so far. I'm trying to do it in order rather than rushing into Argus.
So far I've hit 110, did the entire emerald nightmare storyline including the raid, the helya stuff including the raid, the entire suramar campaign, finished the nighthold and begun the legionfall campaign.

What a crazy ride it's been I'll say.

Suramar was such a fun zone especially as a rogue, sneaking through the city and evading people who could see through my masquerade was awesome. The leveling experience in each of the zones was probably some of the best leveling content I've experience in WoW to date, stormheim was a bit long which screwed up the pacing a tiny bit but not by much. I just was 110 for the last 2 chapters of high mountain lol.

I decided to do the Nighthold on normal mode instead of LFR and that Guldan fight was a genuine thrill. It's a pretty cool raid over all to be honest.

The questline where you use the piece of xera to find out what happened to illidan got an annoying road block which I think made more sense when it was relevant than it does now, they want me to clear 40 dungeons and like it'll be a while before I do that lol. I've only done I think 9. So illidan getting revived at the end of nighthold kind of just happened for me instead of flowing from that storyline naturally.

Syf

Banned
they want me to clear 40 dungeons and like it'll be a while before I do that lol.
Try to get into mythic+ groups. You'll get more of those based on the level you do. For example a +3 will give you 3/40. Makes it go by much faster.

Agreed with the rest too. Took a fresh toon through everything in order not too long ago, it's really been an awesome expansion. Can't wait for the finale.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Try to get into mythic+ groups. You'll get more of those based on the level you do. For example a +3 will give you 3/40. Makes it go by much faster.

Agreed with the rest too. Took a fresh toon through everything in order not too long ago, it's really been an awesome expansion. Can't wait for the finale.

Oh nice that's not a bad idea, and yeah they really nailed the feeling of progressing through a story in legion. Plus this expansion is the first time I feel like they nailed the in game cutscenes they've all been really good.

Speaking of which, the other funny hiccup that happened was that immediately after flying back to dal from doing the scenario to start the legionfall campaign Velen just screams in my ear that PREPARATIONS ARE READY BOY WE'RE GOING TO ARGUS! I'm just like, dude velen chill.

Anoregon

Thrall will return to pick up Doomhammer.

DK Tirion will do the same for Ashbringer.

You know, you might be on to something. Maybe we "leave" our artifacts in the hands of the various class order halls for whatever lorelol reason. We'll still physically have the items in our banks or whatever, but by 8.0 they will probably just be like grey transmog items or whatever.

Top Bottom