• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worlds first PlayStation 5 slim

rofif

Banned
DIY Perks made a 1.9cm slim PS5... sponsored by Dbrand of all things lol:

1.9cm thin PS5 !!!
Yeah, so the guy made a pretty impressive 2cm thick brass box for the motherboard. With water cooling and some other power supply outside in this huge panel... cooled with tons of small fans
KBN0Fqn.png

O0GewGx.png

jKP778Z.png
This is impressive engineering for the sake of it but all in all you end up with square thin box with big loud box to power and cool it.

Neff

I put the GPU in a matchbox and hid the rest of the PS5's guts behind a wall. Eat your heart out Cerny.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, he's doing it for youtube clicks, but it's interesting. Unless you live in a drawer, you don't need a console to be that thin, or thinner than the PS5 to begin with.

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
Great job doing this project but no one including Sony would ever do this. There's way too many things that could go wrong

Beechos

Whats to stop someone from just taking the bluray drive and putting the power/reset/usb port on it and everything else in a breakout box.

Popup

As with most engineering projects, the journey is the most interesting, regardless of the end result. The fact that it ends up taking up more space is obviously pretty pointless and impractical for most people.

With some tough challenges and neat ideas along the way though, the threat of the PSU and cooling were always there, and likely to cause a major problem. Sure he could spend time reducing this footprint but it will still end up taking up more space.

Obviously the console manufacturers had explored many options too, and this video clearly shows that a slim version will ultimately rely on time to allow a more efficient SOC, needing less power and smaller cooling solutions.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Why bring cringe?. I found it amusing. Liked those videos of 'primitive' people building mansions in the middle of the forest with their bare hands, sticks and some mud.

Last edited:

freefornow

To be fair to nominedomine nominedomine , the size of Xbox 360 and Xbox One power bricks are monumentally larger than the ones you've linked, to the point where they've decided to stylize a couple of the models like they were accessories.

Screen_Shot_2016-06-13_at_12.09.39_PM.0.png

I'd be interested in how Sony would make their power brick look fancy for the PS5 slim.
I expect any PS5 slim (if there is one) to be along the lines of the PS3 slim. Keep the internal power supply.
Both PS5 and XSX power supplies have good internal cooling designs utilising the existing cooling fan. Doubt either would go external again as it becomes another cost (manufacturing a power brick with cable/housing/fan etc).

DIY Perks made a 1.9cm slim PS5... sponsored by Dbrand of all things lol:

1.9cm thin PS5 !!!
Yeah, so the guy made a pretty impressive 2cm thick brass box for the motherboard. With water cooling and some other power supply outside in this huge panel... cooled with tons of small fans
KBN0Fqn.png

O0GewGx.png

jKP778Z.png
This is impressive engineering for the sake of it but all in all you end up with square thin box with big loud box to power and cool it.

The awkwardness of this project's result just makes the OG PS5 appear even more impressive.

Haggard

Banned
so a sexy slim case with a giant external power/cooling unit.

That is just stupid......

Last edited:

Three

To be fair to nominedomine nominedomine , the size of Xbox 360 and Xbox One power bricks are monumentally larger than the ones you've linked, to the point where they've decided to stylize a couple of the models like they were accessories.

Screen_Shot_2016-06-13_at_12.09.39_PM.0.png

maxresdefault.jpg

I'd be interested in how Sony would make their power brick look fancy for the PS5 slim.
Not to mention that the 360 and xbox one were later gen consoles whereas the ones before were from a bygone era without universal power supplies.

Billion dollar company design better looking console than a random person. OG PS5 is hardly impressive in that aspect.

I disagree.

That billion-dollar company has to design a console that is cheap enough to manufacture to generate a certain sales margin at a given retail price point. This random person has no such restriction and can spend hundreds of dollars on their pet project. And they routinely do.

The fact that with this slim metal chassis and liquid cooling he still results in a dirty great ugly fan + radiator module, while Sony is able to fit all their console cooling using air (i.e. lower cooling capability) in a single compact package; yeah, I think that's impressive.

Zimmy68

World's three hundred and something modded PS5.
There is no such thing as a PS5 Slim.
The world's first will be when Sony makes it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom