• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World's oceans in 'shocking' decline-BBC News

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think anything that will only affect future generations is doomed to failure from the current generation to be honest. Human greed.

By the time it becomes necessary to really do something, it will be too late.

CiSTM

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
World War 3 ™ anyone?
Killing each other to save the planet
Nah, few failed crops around the key countries will lead to massive starvations in the future and we probably will see similar things that happened in China and in India decades ago.

gerg said:
The problem there is probably that we can't farm fish on the scale that we'd like to (in order to supply current demands for fish), which again leads back simply to eating less fish.
Time to invest more money into fish farming. We have the means but we lack the will.

DiscoJer

Jay Sosa said:
People in charge don't give a shit about the planet. Money and power will always be more important than lives, even more so when it comes to animal life.

While governments are wanting us to recycle and don't waste water (which is good don't get me wrong) corporations keep poluting and destroying the enviroment without any severe consequences because they finance the voting campaigns.

Yeah, it's all the corporations, not the people who spend all their days glued to computers and game consoles and electronic devices that use up gobs of energy. Like well, everyone here.

Seriously, the vast majority of people either just don't care, don't believe it, or are unwilling to change their own lifestyle, rather than blame some sort of bogeyman (companies, George Bush, the French-Chinese, etc).

Count me in the don't believe it category. Scare stories like this have been in the news for decades. It's how scientists get funding. And it would help their case if they didn't jet around the world constantly to attend conferences and seminars on the problem (always held in resorts BTW).

Guys we basically created our own trash island without even FUCKING TRYING
This was inevitable. There have been reports also talking about how no one really knows what kind of long-term effects the BP spill will have on the Gulf of Mexico.

It sucks that such a beautiful and mysterious thing will probably become a shadow of it's former self even though we barely even understand it.

DiscoJer said:
Yeah, it's all the corporations, not the people who spend all their days glued to computers and game consoles and electronic devices that use up gobs of energy. Like well, everyone here.

Seriously, the vast majority of people either just don't care, don't believe it, or are unwilling to change their own lifestyle, rather than blame some sort of bogeyman (companies, George Bush, the French-Chinese, etc).

Count me in the don't believe it category. Scare stories like this have been in the news for decades. It's how scientists get funding. And it would help their case if they didn't jet around the world constantly to attend conferences and seminars on the problem (always held in resorts BTW).

you don't believe that our oceans are massvily overfished and basicly used as a giant toilet and dumpsite?
I recommend you visiting some west british(or hawaiian) sand beaches, grab a handfull sand and look at it under a loup/microscope.

DiscoJer said:
Count me in the don't believe it category.

You'll probably live long enough to learn the truth of it. Hopefully a lot of these global warming deniers in government live long enough to suffer the consequences. Maybe violent revolutions when the shit hits the fan or something. I'd hate for this to be something that only impacts our children and generations down the line.

Our descendants are so fucked. We're gonna be looked back upon as the most ignorant, self-entitled and selfish bastards that ever lived.

Xavien

Two things we have right now that would solve this:

Nuclear Power
Electric Cars

Yet we have some stupid fucking countries moving away from Nuclear to chase the pipe dream of wind power. Plus we're not fucking over the planet, we're fucking over ourselves, cause after we've gone the Planet will correct itself and go on like normal.

nubbe

Shall we really save diabolic creatures like this?

Kill it! The lord commands it

EnFLc.jpg

V_Arnold

DiscoJer said:

It is time to open up your eyes, man.
Really.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
radioheadrule83 said:
Our descendants are so fucked. We're gonna be looked back upon as the most ignorant, self-entitled and selfish bastards that ever lived.

Bit of a generalization, but yeah, that's not totally untrue. I count myself as one of the people who desperately want things like nuclear and solar power, electric cars, responsible fishing, and so on, but what can one man do?

CiSTM

Banned
Xavien said:
Two things we have right now that would solve this:

Nuclear Power
Electric Cars

Yet we have some stupid fucking countries moving away from Nuclear to chase the pipe dream of wind power. Plus we're not fucking over the planet, we're fucking over ourselves, cause after we've gone the Planet will correct itself and go on like normal.

"The planet is fine. The people are fucked."
George Carlin says it best :)

on the one hand, it's really sad that so many species are going extinct
as a biologist, my heart bleeds for every single one of them

on the other hand, there is a certain morbid curiosity in me that wants to see a post-apocalyptic world and overfishing the oceans is one step into that direction

either way, nature is going to be fine in the long run
humans can't make everything go extinct, as long as some animals and plants survive, evolution will find a way as soon as humanity is gone

edit: if we really want to save the planet, it's time to reduce human population
introduce a one-child policy, free condoms for everyone, bonus payments for people who choose to be sterilized, and so on
we can't continue growing like this, in fact i'm pretty sure earth is massively overpopulated already

Coins

Banned
Deep down I kind of feel that as a race, we are already fucked. The first step for changing anything is to change our government which is controlled by personal greed both in the forms of individuals (our Congress who are in it for themselves) and corporations (who can legally purchase representation in Congress now). If people were to band together and actually get the attention of the government, they would be arrested.

I dont want to go to jail, so I dont care anymore.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
lightless_shado said:
any guesses on how we'll go out? I'm guessing its going to be a slow and painful process. I'm thinking by 2114 the earth will look like one of those barren planets. Post up your predictions, the more detailed the better!

by 2035 we will mass produce meat in laboratories. well have a mixed grid of nuclear power, thorium reactors, and solar and wind power. many will probably be dead from environmental changes, famine, and war over emerging technologies. nanomachines will be on the horizon that can clean and purify the environment. the singularity will be approaching and then who the fuck knows what happens

sans_pants

avec_pénis
scar tissue said:
on the one hand, it's really sad that so many species are going extinct
as a biologist, my heart bleeds for every single one of them

on the other hand, there is a certain morbid curiosity in me that wants to see a post-apocalyptic world and overfishing the oceans is one step into that direction

either way, nature is going to be fine in the long run
humans can't make everything go extinct, as long as some animals and plants survive, evolution will find a way as soon as humanity is gone

edit: if we really want to save the planet, it's time to reduce human population
introduce a one-child policy, free condoms for everyone, bonus payments for people who choose to be sterilized, and so on
we can't continue growing like this, in fact i'm pretty sure earth is massively overpopulated already

governments need to breed more workers

darkwing

the good news is , we won't be around to see it, future generations will be the one to suffer

which pretty much sucks

Des0lar

will learn eventually
sans_pants said:
by 2035 we will mass produce meat in laboratories. well have a mixed grid of nuclear power, thorium reactors, and solar and wind power. many will probably be dead from environmental changes, famine, and war over emerging technologies. nanomachines will be on the horizon that can clean and purify the environment. the singularity will be approaching and then who the fuck knows what happens
Did you say nanomachines?

Jay Sosa

DiscoJer said:

Where did I write that?

Neo C.

We have known the rising acidification of the ocean for years, it's frustrating to see that we must repeat some messages hundred times until the public gets it. :(

Furret

Banned
sans_pants said:

Robot Wars!

warthog

I wouldn't mind a killer disease wiping out 95% of the global population. It's already a bit late, but a fresh start with far less people would be good.

smurfx

get some go again
sans_pants said:
what about oil? a lot of what you posted won't happen if everything goes to hell once we can't extract anymore oil at low costs.

warthog said:
I wouldn't mind a killer disease wiping out 95% of the global population. It's already a bit late, but a fresh start with far less people would be good.
yeah, i'm all for a culling of the human population as well, be it through war, disease or alien interference
even if it meant that i would be at risk too, the greater good is more important

ajim

warthog said:
That is insane, and scary.

ajim said:
a big chunk of humanity is doomed anyway, if we continue what we are currently doing
lots of people will starve, become homeless due to rising sea levels, and all that

Coins

Banned
It's scary knowing that if the US government came to the conclusion that a drastic drop in world population would ensure their wealth and survival, they would make it happen, without a doubt.

I'm glad I live in the US. No option would be off the table once they decided action must be taken.

Coins said:
It's scary knowing that if the US government came to the conclusion that a drastic drop in world population would ensure their wealth and survival, they would make it happen, without a doubt.

I'm glad I live in the US. No option would be off the table once they decided action must be taken.
eh, i don't think they would actually kill people
sterilising the shit out of anyone they can catch, or putting something in the food that sterilises people, that i can imagine (and i'd be all for it)

scar tissue said:
a big chunk of humanity is doomed anyway, if we continue what we are currently doing
lots of people will starve, become homeless due to rising sea levels, and all that
I'll vote myself in to die that way. I don't want to live in a future where food is scarce and people are resorting to cannibalism.

I'd rather die in a war though, disease is fucking scary.

Coins

Banned
scar tissue said:
eh, i don't think they would actually kill people
sterilising the shit out of anyone they can catch, or putting something in the food that sterilises people, that i can imagine (and i'd be all for it)
Sterilizing China wouldn't solve anything because you'd just have a few billion pissed off people.

And if you think the US wouldn't resort to drastic measures (kiling people to ensure survival) then you don't pay attention to how we operate.

smurfx said:
what about oil? a lot of what you posted won't happen if everything goes to hell once we can't extract anymore oil at low costs.

Maybe we'll start getting bacteria / bugs to create our oil - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e+coli+oil

Frankly this attitude of - its pointless, we're already too far gone and the human race is doomed - makes me wonder why we aren't sacking our capitals and hanging our politicians heads on spikes. I mean, whats the point in doing otherwise?

Garjon

So, are we passing the point of no return yet?

ajim said:
And it'd only be a temporary solution; when the population returns to its current level, we'll be right back to square one.

dejay

Banned
DiscoJer said:

You're looking at the world in a very small time frame. So much has changed since I was a kid. If you don't think there's something fundamentally flawed and unsustainable with the type of population growth shown in the graph below then nothing can convince you. Imagine the world in another 100 years time, given the amount of strain we're already putting on food and clean water resources.

9RXvS.gif

Hixx

Fish and chips is already nearly a fucking fiver. They want to get this sorted out before the value completely disappears.

Garjon said:

And it'd only be a temporary solution; when the population returns to its current level, we'll be right back to square one.
It'll at least buy humanity some time won't it?

Whatever. We'll only do something collectively when our ass is at risk. In other words, whole ocean species dies? We won't even blink.

Now if whole ocean species dies and this creates a direct effect on us like death, then maybe we'll do something about it. Unfortunately a lot of us are trained to think in this last minute way about the environment.

So when people start dying, then possibly something will be done on a global scale to the near individual level. But by then we'll be so fucked lol

Furret

Banned
Garjon said:

Define temporary, somehow I think purposefully culling 95% of the world's population might lead to a few other changes and reassessments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom