• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worlds That Deserve a Video Game

There have already been three Discworld games. Discworld Noir is one of the secret gems of the adventure game genre.

I would love to see a relatively open world RPG based around The Elenium and The Tamuli books, written by David Eddings.

elenium-tamuli.jpg

Riposte

I would say Eberron, though it has some (including a MMO). Unfortunately none of them take place in Sharn or really capture the feeling of the setting.

Jesus Christ 2 pages and no one mentions Disc World. Just watching the sunrise or looking over the edge at A Tuin would shit all over everything in skyrim. Bludgeniong people to death with battle bread. Fighting rogue sorcerers who are the 8th son of the 8th son. Having a sapient pearwood weapons and houses. With little pratchett-ism during the loading screens.

oops someone did mention discworld. High five.

Dylan

I think it's telling that almost nobody has suggested anything that involves space marines or military squads.

Keikaku

Jesus Christ 2 pages and no one mentions Disc World. Just watching the sunrise or looking over the edge at A Tuin would shit all over everything in skyrim. Bludgeniong people to death with battle bread. Fighting rogue sorcerers who are the 8th son of the 8th son. Having a sapient pearwood weapons and houses. With little pratchett-ism during the loading screens.

oops someone did mention discworld. High five.
Sourcerers would be far better!

Though you'd need another generation of 8 sons in there somewhere.

bengraven

hVWJP.jpg

An Elder Scrolls/Thief hybrid. Could be fabulous. Such a rich world.

I thought about this, but it would be more like Assassin's Creed/Thief to me. Except when you see the hawk, you don't run to the nearest building, you stay the fuck away from it...especially it's scorpion-infused claws...

hertog

I want a lot more of this place

Ff7-midgar.jpg

Why not a final fantasy VII-2 all about Midgar? It was such an interesting setting.

EGM1966

It's really disgusting to see how often supposed video game players look down on video games as a medium.

Although I'd say the thread focus isn't so much making a full blown game as settings that would be cool he has a point - it's not as if the video game medium automatically makes everything better somehow. Taking some classic novel or film and using it as the backdrop for a game may not be the best thing for the original nor in any way improve the work.

That said I'd love a fun, light RPG Diskworld novel with unskippable dialogue and cutscenes written by Pratchet himself, as well as a solid SF action thriller set in Larry Niven's "Known Space" with a decent amount of interaction and plot amongst the action.

Syril

mouse2Bguard2B1.jpg

Between the comics and the tabletop, it's got a pretty amazing, fleshed-out world. For gameplay, I guess it could be kinda Zelda-ish with some shades of Monster Hunter.

Jintor

Although I'd say the thread focus isn't so much making a full blown game as settings that would be cool he has a point - it's not as if the video game medium automatically makes everything better somehow. Taking some classic novel or film and using it as the backdrop for a game may not be the best thing for the original nor in any way improve the work.

I honestly think the Discworld is so damn established and 'real' (if you check the companions there's so much history and thought put behind a lot of it, especially Ankh-Morpork) that it would make an amazing setting for a full-blown Action-Adventure/RPG. I played the Discworld MUD for a long time and aside from the 'murder-everything-you-see' thing it inherited from the MUD format as a whole it was an amazing experience. Wandering the streets of Djelibeybi or Bes Pelargic, filching the clothes off people's backs to meet Guild quotas, accidentally, very slowly drowning in the Ankh about three times... great days.

Happened and was fairly terrible. I want the next Arkham game to be BB though, or at least take place in that scenario with flashbacks to Bruce's doings and how they affect Terry in the "current" time.

Fringe was already mentioned, but I wouldn't make it like LA Noire unless there were some REALLY heavy tweaking done with it.

I would LOVE to see Crank made into a game. It's basically a crazy GTA game already, just make it good and I'll play the shit out of it.

And now for the insanity:

Highschool_of_the_Dead_vol01.jpg

Take the base from the Onechanbara series, touch it up to have an actual budget and assets, have it go through at LEAST the end of the second act (
the mall!
) and go from there. You could even do ridiculous shit like give the girls extra outfits to unlock that pertain to the manga and anime.

I like this idea.
Controlling Saeko would be sublime.
I would let Rei die.

DiscoJon

Banned
240px-Big_o.jpg

3rd person gun fight action + Giant Mech battles? It's a no brainer.

Plus they could resolve the bull**** way the series ended.

TaroYamada

Pirates of Dark Water...

...And Dino Riders get my vote.

Both of those got games, Pirates of Dark Water was on Genesis and IIRC was fairly good but hard (I was only like 5 or 6, so don't hold me to that). Dino Riders had some Torque engine game, it was laughably bad and I remember a few years ago everybody making fun of it.

TedNindo

A Space Sim with some trading and combat in Asimov's the Foundation universe.

tribute-to-foundation-final-small.jpg

Or a game somewhat like LA Noire but with more freedom set in Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep's San Fransisco ( Or Blade Runner's LA )

androids-templesmith.jpg

topramen

Enders Game

A (good) game of thrones/song of ice and fire game could really kill it

A (good) battlestar galactica game

And a non text adventure of hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

then I'm set

Jackano

Firefly: (not mentionned yet? come on GAF!)
Firefly_class_ship.jpg

SG-1/SGA/SG-U: After Duke Nukem Forever it's the new curse of the video game industry.
Ghost Recon style? Hell no, Stargate is not about a bunch of (bald) marines killing aliens, it's about exploring. Much more like Zelda than Gear of Wars in its essence. Atlantis is more of a space opera with science puzzles.

spekkeh

Banned
space_wolves_by_denewer-d46b4ig.jpg

It would be the awesome of Warhammer 40k, combined with the Nordic look of Skyrim, the desolateness of a Metroid game and the survival aspects of Fallout.

More RPGs should run with themes of surviving in a desolate place, without resorting to postapocalyptic browns.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A__Tuin_and_the_Disc_World_by_theyoungtook.jpg

Or perhaps more specifically

ankh-m10.jpg

Give me an Assassin's Creed-style game in Ankh-Morpork. Please. Nevermind the adventure games, give me an RPG or something
There it is.

Pratchett's sense of humor always struck me as lending itself to a videogame.

gabbo

SG-1/SGA/SG-U: After Duke Nukem Forever it's the new curse of the video game industry.
Ghost Recon style? Hell no, Stargate is not about a bunch of (bald) marines killing aliens, it's about exploring. Much more like Zelda than Gear of Wars in its essence. Atlantis is more of a space opera with science puzzles.

Who said anything about bald marines?

I'm sure that somebody has posted...

cLp5Tl.jpg

(click here for full size: http://i.imgur.com/cLp5T.jpg)

And shitty RTS games don't count.

(Edit, and because I hate it when people post pics nd assume everybody knows what it is, this is the main continent of Westeros and a bit of Essos from George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice & Fire" series, which has recently gained a lot of popularity from the first book, A Game of Thrones, being turned into an HBO series)

More:

215px-Brazilposter.jpg

One of my favorite movies. The setting, future-imperfect quirky dystopian world. It's sort of already done with Bioshock + Deus Ex, but not really. Basically, a future imperfect world with a giant ministry that controls all sorts of stuff, but just doesn't control anything very well... Society is falling apart, but it's not exactly only depressive, there's a glibness that goes along with the general functionlessness of the world. Also, vacuum tubes... everywhere.

rukland

HXJkh.jpg

A third person/tactical shooter ala the old Rainbow Six/Ghost Recon games set in the Stargate universe where you control SG1 would be high on my list. I don't want to be some random jaffa/marine, the appeal is in the established teams. The MMO never made sense to me for that reason. Have adventure/puzzle minigames involving alien tech or an alien language that Sam and Daniel have to solve respectively. Plenty of lore to work with from the past 15 or so years..

This for sure, I would kill for anything new with SG1 attached to it.

And for those saying Pokemon as an MMO um you know you are sorta getting that with the new WoW expansion right?

As for my choice, I want a game set in this world.

35621284.jpg

Fjordson

Has there ever been a game set in Jack Vance's Dying Earth universe?

That could be really great. An open-world RPG of course. Cugel's Saga: The Game.

Svafnir

I want a game in the walking dead universe. Yes a zombie game, but a lot slower paced and more scavenging/social interactions. And really epic moments when a zombie does come. Which mostly consists in hiding and running away.

It's still hard to believe they haven't done a game based on this:

TheWitchblade.jpg

Well, we did actually recently receive a sequel to a game that takes place in the same universe, although while that game was a FPS, this could be more along the lines of a DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta style of action game. And considering the popularity of the comic and the fact a movie is scheduled to be released next year, it begs to be done.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

TheWitchblade.jpg

Well, we did actually recently receive a sequel to a game that takes place in the same universe, although while that game was a FPS, this could be more along the lines of a DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta style of action game. And considering the popularity of the comic and the fact a movie is scheduled to be released next year, it begs to be done.

What game(s) are you talking about?

TheWitchblade.jpg

Is is so hard to actually name the thing you are talking about :/ at least your jpg has the title I suppose

What game(s) are you talking about?
Heh, guess not as many people know by the picture I posted.

I was talking about they should make a game based off of Witchblade. The game and it's sequel I was referring to that takes place in the same world as Witchblade is The Darkness and The Darkness II.

Astra

I'm sure that somebody has posted...

cLp5Tl.jpg

(click here for full size: http://i.imgur.com/cLp5T.jpg)

And shitty RTS games don't count.

(Edit, and because I hate it when people post pics nd assume everybody knows what it is, this is the main continent of Westeros and a bit of Essos from George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice & Fire" series, which has recently gained a lot of popularity from the first book, A Game of Thrones, being turned into an HBO series)

I agree with this. Sure, there's an RPG on the way, but it's by Cyanide, and I have very low expectations. I heard Bethesda was approached about making a game set in the world of ASoIaF, but they turned it down to focus on their own IPs.
I would say it's a good thing, since Skyrim is so bland and boring, but it'd be preferable to Cyanide doing it.

Edit: http://www.vg247.com/2011/09/15/bethesda-why-we-turned-down-a-game-of-thrones/

Top Bottom