• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worldwide Xbox One sales dropped below Xbox 360 in 2017

8bitghost

It is often said that although Xbox One sales are far below the PlayStation 4, the system is still outperforming the 360 at the same stage of its lifecycle. Well not anymore! Global Xbox One sales are down 2 years in a row and in 2017 it dropped below the 360 when launches are aligned.

Confirmed by Niko analyst Daniel Ahmad.

8BHcHoK.gif

It will be interesting to discover if the X can reverse this trend or if Microsoft will press ahead with their next system sooner.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Even if the Xbox One sells 10% less than the 360 overall, I'd say it's a succes, after the shitshow that was E3.

Artistic

Are they referring to the LTD sales over the course of 4 years or specifically the 360 outsold the XB1 in 2016 and 2017? Can you even purchase a 360 in stores anymore?

Something isn't clicking with the consumers though.

Calibos

Well not anymore!

Excited about that?

This is a bad look, but I think the Xbox brand is still recovering and definitely trending upwards. Look at history too...Sony survived the PS3 and Nintendo survived the Wii U so I see no reason why all 3 don't enter the next gen in very healthy positions.

hiphopcr

Are they referring to the LTD sales over the course of 4 years or specifically the 360 outsold the XB1 in 2016 and 2017? Can you even purchase a 360 in stores anymore?
I was afraid it meant the 360 actually outsold the X1 last year lol

but no it means at the same point in their respective lifecycles.

Not that surprising, the 360 was one of the most complete, successful, beloved consoles of all time.

But like Calibos says, the X1 is trending upward. Gamepass and backwards compatibility will give everyone a massive library this gen and into the next.

xion4360

If they had launched with what is the Xbox one S they would have had a much better time this generation, too many big mistakes made early on but phil spencer has done a lot to remedy that. The xbox game pass news this week is another step.
just give us more reasons to buy and play on xbox one, and more exclusives.

JP

Although interesting, it's always a little difficult to compare different generations in terms of sales and really understand them if you're not looking back on all of the generations that you're comparing. Things change so much in the space of a generation that in some ways it's almost like comparing completely different things.

The sales of the PS3, 360 and Wii U seemed to have been completely dwarfed by the sales there will be this generation with both Nintendo and Sony both selling consoles in numbers that would have probably made them both faint last generation. It's always difficult to measure how successful a console has been too because being a success for the company that makes them can be very different to what a success is to the people who play them.

I'd imagine that both Sony and Nintendo are really positive about sales at the moment and don't expect anything but their consoles being a roaring success this generation. It's perhaps a little different for Microsoft because it's definitely been a backwards step for them this generation but it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll see it as a failure, particularly after the start they had.

Sometimes, situations like this are a benefit long term, learn from mistakes and look to improve/prosper long term. Losing sales and being criticised can be a advantage moving forward.

rokkerkory

Don't forget 360 sold like gang busters, which surprised everyone including MS. Might be forever hard to meet that bar.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I dont think anyone was expecting 360 like sucess after the launch mistakes.
However Its still a success and can build a strong foundation for next gen.

Artistic

Well has production on XB1s ramped up or down since it's launch? Everything just tells me they'll never be allowed to dominate home console gaming and possibly a different approach will be taken by MS to have success of their own.

MilkyJoe

Well has production on XB1s ramped up or down since it's launch? Everything just tells me they'll never be allowed to dominate home console gaming and possibly a different approach will be taken by MS to have success of their own.

Just because you are not number one it doesn't mean you're not a success.

thelastword

Banned
Well, sales of the Xbox One and XBONEX will continue to plummet the first half of this year. After holiday 2017, don't exepect much in the way of XBOX ONE sales. People are looking at the ONE-S as too weak with X in the picture, but they won't buy X because it's too expensive and lacking exclusives. I think 2018 will be XBOX ONE's worst year by far....

Last edited:

cooper59

Banned
Well, sales of the Xbox One and XBONEX will continue to plummet the first half of this year. After holiday 2017, don't exepect much in the way of XBOX ONE sales. People are looking at the ONE-S as too weak with X in the picture, but they won't buy X because it's too expensive and lacking excluives. I think 2018 will be XBOX ONE's worst year by far....
I'm the opposite. Think the xbox x sees great sales this year. i recently bought one and after having the ps pro for years, there is no comparison. as developers gear towards the x will make it sell.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I'm the opposite. Think the xbox x sees great sales this year. i recently bought one and after having the ps pro for years, there is no comparison. as developers gear towards the x will make it sell.

Don't even bother responding to thelastword, One would think he's a majority shareholder of Sony.

Remember the popular talking point that 360 sales were only so high because people had to keep buying new ones? Maybe this just means the Xbox One is too reliable!

(Half-kidding.)

demigod

You’ve had the ps4 pro for years? You must be from the future.

Thelastword is right, xbox one x is going to plummet and it’ll only get worse for xbox. PS4 is too strong in 2018.

thelastword

Banned
I guess guys like MattyP won't even correct you on that faux-pas, but he's out to put that noose on "thelastword".....Hmmmm..

What I mean is this Cooper...The PRO is barely over a year in, I don't understand how you had it for years. We need to link up, because you probably have the PS5 already, amirite? Anyways, send me a PM if you do, don't want those Ninjas knocking on your door, seen.

More developers gears towards the X?

According to MS, XBOX ONE S is not going to be left behind, so don't expect developers to concentrate on that and wow you. In any case, which developers are going to do that exactly? MS developers are not the most technically savvy, on the flip, the majority of XBOX consoles are the non X variety, unless XBONEX is pushing 8-10 million by June this year, that's not going to happen. If MS abandons vanilla xbox owners and go all out on X, by giving them more crappy ports, XBOX 2 will not be something those persons receive well...

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Great, as in #65 on Amazon's hourly chart after being on the market for a few months? TF and more pixels don't sell consoles.

Sosokrates

Well, sales of the Xbox One and XBONEX will continue to plummet the first half of this year. After holiday 2017, don't exepect much in the way of XBOX ONE sales. People are looking at the ONE-S as too weak with X in the picture, but they won't buy X because it's too expensive and lacking exclusives. I think 2018 will be XBOX ONE's worst year by far....

Lets revisit this post in a year.

Evil Carrot

Has anyone seen Cloud?
I'm honestly surprised it took this long, I suppose the 360 was out for a decade so that probably skews my own perception of things quite a bit.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Luckily for Microsoft though, they're still making good money with One X and it's ecosystem, which they'll have to maximise until next gen starts.

JaxBriggs

Even if the Xbox One sells 10% less than the 360 overall, I'd say it's a succes, after the shitshow that was E3.

Estimates for the XB1 currently are somewhere around 35M sold, whereas the 360 ended up selling about 84M. I think it would be a miracle for the XB1 to get anywhere even close to being within 10% of what the 360 sold.

Anyway last gen was MS at their best while Sony was at their worst. You could argue that the 360 was actually an outlier generation for MS. I guess their next console or generation will prove if that's right or not.

Last edited:

-hadouken

Luckily for Microsoft though, they're still making good money with One X
It's certainly a lovely piece of kit, tho I'd have thought margins on X would be incredibly slim considering the components included. I wonder if they make more off an S or an X.

Gitaroo

It's certainly a lovely piece of kit, tho I'd have thought margins on X would be incredibly slim considering the components included. I wonder if they make more off an S or an X.
Irc, Phil hinted that they are taking lost from every X unit sold and hoping to profit from software sales with the new console launch.

hiphopcr

Estimates for the XB1 currently are somewhere around 35M sold, whereas the 360 ended up selling about 84M. I think it would be a miracle for the XB1 to get anywhere even close to being within 10% of what the 360 sold.
If the 360 sold 84M over 10 years, then the X1 is actually slightly ahead of pace having sold 35M in just over 4 years.

JaxBriggs

If the 360 sold 84M over 10 years, then the X1 is actually slightly ahead of pace having sold 35M in just over 4 years.

84M over 8 years, unless you believe the 360 continued to sell millions even after the XB1 launched. Also keep in mind launch aligned (and this is the point ZhugeEX was making with saying 2018) this is almost about when the Kinect launched the 360 which gave it a massive boost in sales towards the end of its generation. In other words, the 360 picked up considerably about halfway in, whereas it seems to be the opposite situation for the XB1.

Again I highly doubt the XB1 will see anywhere near what the 360 ended up selling.

hiphopcr

84M over 8 years, unless you believe the 360 continued to sell millions even after the XB1 launched. Also keep in mind launch aligned (and this is the point ZhugeEX was making with saying 2018) this is almost about when the Kinect launched the 360 which gave it a massive boost in sales towards the end of its generation. In other words, the 360 picked up considerably about halfway in, whereas it seems to be the opposite situation for the XB1.
Ok then it's slightly behind. Will be interesting if X1X and Game Pass will be that boost. Game Pass will ultimately be a much bigger (ie game changing) deal than Kinect was.

Does that statistic take into account all of the additional Xbox 360s purchased to replace consoles with the RROD :p? I ended up buying four over the course of that generation. Sigh.

2018 will be an interesting year for team Xbox. I feel like it'll take at least another 12 months before we start seeing all of the investments that they made in 2017 start to come to fruition. That said, if there's a sizable price adjustment on the X around the time of E3, I can see them having a very solid third and fourth quarter of 2018. The Xbox One X will be the definitive way to play all third party titles on console this year and I can see them doubling down on that.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long, I suppose the 360 was out for a decade so that probably skews my own perception of things quite a bit.

Early years of x360 and ps3 were really slow

Code:
              Xbox 360  Hardware Unit Sales (Unit:Million)

FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD

2005/06         -       1.5      1.7      1.8       5.0      5.0

2006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6      11.6

2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7      20.3 

2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2       11.2     31.5 

2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5       10.3     41.8

2010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7       13.7     55.3

2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1       13.0     68.3

2012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0       9.9      78.2

---------------------------------------------------------------------

2013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8       ?         ?        ?

- Xbox 360 sales rise to 84 million (June 9, 2014)

astroglide

I have no dought in my mind that x2 will be more powerful than ps5 and Microsoft and developers will see that. I also see them being more aggressive next gen. That reveal and weak hardware really hurt them and they are rideing it out.

Microsoft will learn some leson from Xbox One,
Sony learned some lesson from PS3, even it's not really a failure IMO,
Nintendo learned from Wii U.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Anyway last gen was MS at their best while Sony was at their worst. You could argue that the 360 was actually an outlier generation for MS. I guess their next console or generation will prove if that's right or not.

That's a good point. It's also worth to keep in mind that this gen will probably be a few years shorter.

Sosokrates

That's a good point. It's also worth to keep in mind that this gen will probably be a few years shorter.

Considering we have just had mid gen upgrades for the first time in gaming history, it may be the longest gen yet.

Apart from the odd hardcore fan here and there. I dont think any gamers are craving better graphics.

Swizzle

Gold Member
Considering we have just had mid gen upgrades for the first time in gaming history, it may be the longest gen yet.

Apart from the odd hardcore fan here and there. I dont think any gamers are craving better graphics.

Sure, but I would like to see what consoles where developers can fully focus on CPU’s that are 2-3x faster overal and RAM in the 16 GB region and the effects on games of these improvements alongside massive GPU computational power beside “prettier” graphics.

Environment rendering in current games still fails to fully sell rain and especially snow, snow accumulation, and snow deformation physics. This is not pretty graphics, this is about environment interaction and flexible level design for game creators. You always always want to give creators IMHO the best possible canvas and tools to paint on. Some will waste it, some will push it too hard, it some will hit the nail on the freaking head and amaze you.

Current stop gap/mid generation refreshes console releases are mostly just about prettier pixels as you call it and higher resolution mostly brute forced, next generation has the chance to change this as every new console generation generally does. People want new consoles because they are not happy with just prettier graphics, they want more :).

TBiddy

I doubt it, though. I think we will see PS5 in 2019 or 2020, which would make the "PS4-gen" 6 years old, give or take. The PS3 lasted 7 years (november 2006 to november 2013). The next Xbox will probably follow suit and arrive shortly thereafter. The 360-gen lasted 8 years (november 2005 to november 2013).

So, depending on how you count and when the new consoles arrive, we might see a shorter gen.

Top Bottom