• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst job interview?

I go first;

I saw that *X* Company have started making AAA games for console (jumping from mobile), they need TA and Design ASAP.
They have 2 games showcased at E3 and TGS. People really like it and looks *awesome*.

FInish work and i go to the interview, i didnt knew was a group interview, some of my current coworker were there also (My current company was moving branchs and i didnt want to be relocated).

Ok, like 6 candidates, Game Director and the branch manager show up, gave us magazines, food, drinks all the cool stuff.
They showcase us the new build for those 2 games, i saw some bugs and took note.
Now all the good stuff about this new amazing engine for PS4 and Next Gen.

Question time;
-I ask some technical stuff, my mistake, Game director and Manager had no idea. minus point for me.

Director start talking how fun is to work on those games and the field trip for taking pictures, creating assets, etc.
-Got curious, is a new engine, so theres no plugin for Houdini, Susbtance, Quixel, etc. Should i make all the plugins, or they are in talk with those companies? (normally sideFX will give you support to include their tech inside your engine)

The director got mad... minus point again.

-I ask about those two games, the time of production, and if the engine would be open, no meaning for me to study 4 years of one engine and get no portfolio.
-I also point all the bugs of the demo.

(director); "why are you here, what you do?"
(me)- "im TA, etc."
(director) "We dont need your kind, there is too many"

wow.... why you have a TA position open then..

This start at 6PM, already around 9pm...
Start the studio walk... i hate it, All black, black tables, chair, no windows (not my type). They link us with other branch for a fun video talk using new interactive chat technology, was awful.

and wait, is 9pm, all branch is working, he just said there is no overtime, everybody go home at 6 pm as normal. lie.

Back to the meeting room, start one / one interview (i just want go home).
Of course, i was the last one, 10 PM (6pm to 10pm interview)
The director interviewed everybody else one by one in another room, meanwhile we could speak and interact with company X employers, that was fun, i could ask all my technical question to the Engenier team, Designer Team...etc. Nice people. I talk with them until 11pm.

My turn to be interviewed, the director left the room
-"i dont need to be here because we dont need you"

So the HR interviewed me with basic question, name, age..

It felt bad, i went home.

Final story, all my cowerkers who went to the interview got a "we are sorry email "
I got; "please come next week with your work documentation"

Idk if the *director* wanted me to go in so he can bully me lol, or the engenier team witch i speak for 1 hour did like me.

I politely refused the oportunity.

Yep, it's one of those "Start-Up Game Studios" that hype themselves and deliver nothing good especially if it's AAA console.

These studios act more like outsourcing companies for bigger gaming studios like Rockstar for example. If this studio doesn't deliver a single good game in matter of 2 years, it will be shattered.

On other note, job interviews are turning into "shut up and listen" more than about what you do or what you will give to the companies.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I had grown tired of my job, so I went for some interviews for java roles. One stands out.

I arrive 5 minutes early, as you do, and the person interviewing me arrives 20 minutes late. He then proceeds to tell me how much I’d hate the job, before berating me for having done non-programming things in my 20s (teaching). He then notes my wedding ring and expresses how glad he is that I’m not gay.

Head to a room with developers for a chat, walk through some of their code, etc. While this goes on something doesn’t work and he explodes with rage and beats shit out of his desk before storming out slamming the door very very hard. I asked the devs if this is a regular thing - they say it isn’t usually this bad.

I got home and told the agency I would not be progressing any further with the application.

Tschumi

My girl was trying to help me get a job during uni.. i had told her that years before i was a barista - i was! Just it was for a really lightweight yoghurt bar in a foodcourt - so she kept pushing me to apply for work at the very snooty cafe in the architectural association building in the CBD...

Anyway i know it'll go bad because even when i was a trained barista I was a pretty slack one whose every coffee was a latte... But she pushes and pushes~

So i get the interview, i say some hollow words about being a trainee barista and "ptsch, sure i love coffee brah!" kind of thing... This guy (a rank Melbourne coffee snob) clearly sees right through it and tells me about a bunch of international awards their cafe has won. I kind of nod along, numb...

Then he asks me to make a coffee. The first thing i do is forget to tamp down the coffee grounds in the head (I've since realised what went wrong) and all i got was a watery dribble.

This is honestly what happened next:
*Dude looks at my coffee dripping out*
*Turns it off, throws away the coffee*
"Do you want a free latte mate?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoboman

I go first;

I saw that *X* Company have started making AAA games for console (jumping from mobile), they need TA and Design ASAP.
They have 2 games showcased at E3 and TGS. People really like it and looks *awesome*.

FInish work and i go to the interview, i didnt knew was a group interview, some of my current coworker were there also (My current company was moving branchs and i didnt want to be relocated).

Ok, like 6 candidates, Game Director and the branch manager show up, gave us magazines, food, drinks all the cool stuff.
They showcase us the new build for those 2 games, i saw some bugs and took note.
Now all the good stuff about this new amazing engine for PS4 and Next Gen.

Question time;
-I ask some technical stuff, my mistake, Game director and Manager had no idea. minus point for me.

Director start talking how fun is to work on those games and the field trip for taking pictures, creating assets, etc.
-Got curious, is a new engine, so theres no plugin for Houdini, Susbtance, Quixel, etc. Should i make all the plugins, or they are in talk with those companies? (normally sideFX will give you support to include their tech inside your engine)

The director got mad... minus point again.

-I ask about those two games, the time of production, and if the engine would be open, no meaning for me to study 4 years of one engine and get no portfolio.
-I also point all the bugs of the demo.

(director); "why are you here, what you do?"
(me)- "im TA, etc."
(director) "We dont need your kind, there is too many"

wow.... why you have a TA position open then..

This start at 6PM, already around 9pm...
Start the studio walk... i hate it, All black, black tables, chair, no windows (not my type). They link us with other branch for a fun video talk using new interactive chat technology, was awful.

and wait, is 9pm, all branch is working, he just said there is no overtime, everybody go home at 6 pm as normal. lie.

Back to the meeting room, start one / one interview (i just want go home).
Of course, i was the last one, 10 PM (6pm to 10pm interview)
The director interviewed everybody else one by one in another room, meanwhile we could speak and interact with company X employers, that was fun, i could ask all my technical question to the Engenier team, Designer Team...etc. Nice people. I talk with them until 11pm.

My turn to be interviewed, the director left the room
-"i dont need to be here because we dont need you"

So the HR interviewed me with basic question, name, age..

It felt bad, i went home.

Final story, all my cowerkers who went to the interview got a "we are sorry email "
I got; "please come next week with your work documentation"

Idk if the *director* wanted me to go in so he can bully me lol, or the engenier team witch i speak for 1 hour did like me.

I politely refused the oportunity.
Sounds like the director wanted you but only if you'd put up with bullshit that would make your life miserable

nush

Gold Member
I had one interview for a "Just need to pay the bills" admin job. Boring easy office work. I was interviewed by an old guy who I assume was a director, very polite and professional and this other woman who was the department head I'd be working in and a total sourpuss.

Anyway as she was describing the role she got to a point and said "When you've finished your work you'll need to help the other departments with theirs". This was when I mentally tapped out and I knew the place was an understaffed disorganized mess, you get no credit for being forced to help another team do their work, that team is not motivated to finish anything quickly as they know they'll be able to kick a lot of it over the fence to the new guy.

Then it came to the "Any questions" part, so I asked if they had any provisions for free parking as the office was a city center location and those costs add up over the month. She looked at me like I'd just shat on her desk. No.

I should have walked out earlier in the interview but I didn't want to disrespect that old guy. They said they would let me know, but I didn't want the job. They kept calling for days after but I didnt pick up, so I assume I did get the job.

I had grown tired of my job, so I went for some interviews for java roles. One stands out.

I arrive 5 minutes early, as you do, and the person interviewing me arrives 20 minutes late. He then proceeds to tell me how much I’d hate the job, before berating me for having done non-programming things in my 20s (teaching). He then notes my wedding ring and expresses how glad he is that I’m not gay.

Head to a room with developers for a chat, walk through some of their code, etc. While this goes on something doesn’t work and he explodes with rage and beats shit out of his desk before storming out slamming the door very very hard. I asked the devs if this is a regular thing - they say it isn’t usually this bad.

I got home and told the agency I would not be progressing any further with the application.
Sounds like this CEO's daddy money is running out and he is forced to generate money through hard work from his messy company....

yea i know these types of people

Aarbron

Purposely sabotaged my chances by chatting gibberish. I was a arrogant bastard in my younger years, and considered the position beneath. In other words, I was too lazy to want work.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Right out of college, I interviewed with a tech company for a help desk position, and I was asked a series of existential questions. Socrates I am not, so I basically took a philosophical dump on myself, thanked them for making me feel like an idiot, and wandered into traffic in a daze. Fortunately I survived and at my next job interview, they asked me about my level of experience with a few particular programs, I said "next to none" and they hired me anyway.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Had lots of interviews for sales positions with VP Sales you knew were clueless because they were one of the first employees at a start-up that got big (or at least was good at attracting VCs). They knew nothing about processes and metrics to follow and analyse, no idea what territory planning was, etc.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've never had a bad interview because of the interviewer. only because of myself.

my first job interview was at a large supermarket here in the UK. i can't remember what age i was....probably 16 so around 2006 or 2007. my friend had just got a job there and i asked him for advice. thankfully it was so long ago that i've forgot some of it but i remember when i was asked what my strengths were i said "i play drums so i'm good at multi tasking" and when they asked if i had any questions i asked "will the wages get paid into my bank?" lol. i had actually worked in a restaurant before and it was cash in hand so that's why i was so excited about it being paid right into my bank. at the time i thought i was killing it but once i started doing more interviews i realised how dumb i was.

i applied for a job there again in 2013 and got it with no interview. the job sucked so i didn't stay long. also, the women who interviewed me still works there and i still go there to shop every week. every time i see her i cringe inside and wonder if she remembers me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom