• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst marketing campaigns in the history of gaming (or: wtf Sony!?)

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Get Don Draper on this shit. He'd sell the PlayStation brand back to the entire universe within minutes.

there's something in there about how shapes are the first things we learn as children and how that basic thing is pretty much universal and nostalgic.

Seda

Keikoku said:
http://bigfraggingdeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/kevin-butler.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yup, this is the WORST gaming marketing campaign EVER. Nothing else in this thread comes close to how BAD this is. Yup.

[spoiler]to be honest I'm surprised it took some joker this long to post this. I completely disagree, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.[/spoiler]

OuterWorldVoice said:
OK, maybe I am too cynical to tell. Is this commercial serious, or is it post-ironic/sarcastic? I honestly don't know. Someone tell me.
It's been years and I don't think there's every been a definitive conclusion. When it first came out people were lambasting that commercial as proof Nintendo had finally lost it, or defending it as some kind of sarcastic parody of PSAs.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GarthVaderUK said:
I thought it was terrible! Trying to look cool by childishly insulting people, while barely showing any of the game they're trying to sell.

31K sales in opening month in US - yeah!
Such a shame. I absolutely love Blur.

Rpgmonkey

Sony has been the king of this for several years now, lol.

And I was going to post the Dragon Quest Monsters one but I got beaten. :/

Amir0x said:
Yeah pretty much all of them were universally bad, I don't remember a single good market campaign for either PS3 or PSP. I know Kevin VP is going to get mentioned but Sony's already abused that one into unfunny territory and who knows what they'll come up with next.

I enjoyed their "Play B3yond" campaign.

John

Gravijah said:
I was really disappointed when I found out the PS3 didn't make the cool noises in those commercials when it started up, instead we got the... orchestrated crap.
you mean a sample of an orchestra tuning? i thought that was pretty clever for a system bootup sound

WEGGLES

V_Ben said:
Crying Baby and Bitch are both great choices. Also... this thing.

136115-e3-09-dantes-inferno-protest.jpg
I liked this idea. It was a neat parody since it was totally believable.

also there was some psp advertisement in the london underground where it told you that you could put naked pics of your girlfriend on your psp and "take a running jump here" (sign is next to the tracks)

antonz

electroshockwave said:
I'me pretty sure these two are fake. Although they do seem awfully close to the sort of things Sony would do.
Both are real. The Nazi ad is from South America and the penis thumb is European as it says.

Woffls

Did we miss any Sony ones? What about those two separate occasions where they used PGR to advertise GTHD or something? I can't remember, might have been Forza the second time. Not really a campaign, but still a pretty big cock up.

Honestly can't wait to see what they come up with for NGP, which they will blatantly call Playstation Qerv or some shit I dunno. They'll draw a big brain storm of fake words beginning with Q, then eventually give up and some 'bright spark' will walk up to the board, wipe off all but the letter 'Q', and everyone in the room will look at each other and start bobbing their heads up and down as if to imply they still give a shit and don't just want to go and play golf.

Loxley

I don't care how many people claim "it's so stupid it's funny", but those goddamn PSP commercials with the animated squirrels was one of the dumbest marketing campaigns I think I've ever seen.

Takao

Banned
SCEA purposely tried to kill the PSP:

Annoying Guy:

All I Want For Christmas

The Squirrels

Marcus Rivers:

Marcus Meets Kevin
Kevin Butler Interviews Marcus Rivers for E3
Marcus Don't Play That #1
Exhausted Warrior
Frustrated Brother
Marcus PSP $9.99 Games
Marcus Don't Play That # 2- Hold It
Marcus's Picks- Madden 11
Marcus's Picks: Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Marcus Rivers Gaming Academy -- PSP Video Streaming

I admit I've laughed at a couple, but that's because I'm a terrible person.

All these ads made PSPgo into sad duck:

lgeQY.png

NGP is happy mameshiba so maybe they'll get their act together?

Has this been posted yet? WTF

Sony Mental Wealth commercial

sony2.jpg

alien girl with Scottish accent said:
Let me tell you what bugs me of the human endeavor I've never been a human in question, have you? Mankind went to the moon I don't even know where Grimsby is Forget progress by proxy Land on your own moon It's no longer about what they can achieve, out there on your behalf But what we can experience Up here and of our own time It's called mental wealth.
Yeah, OK Sony...

Takao

Banned
I'm fairly certain some of the ones you guys we're posting are fakes, but it's pretty telling on Sony's part that someone could take them as real.

Anyways, here's another poor PSP commercial with a guy lurching over another guy taking a piss.

Top Bottom