• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst marketing campaigns in the history of gaming (or: wtf Sony!?)

[Nintex]

Melchiah said:
Remember that all of those ads were from PS1/2 days, and look how much they sold those systems.

I particularly love those "PlayStation. Now only 100€." ads (http://i.imgur.com/aTmf2.jpg & http://i.imgur.com/oUPc8.jpg), where the older toys are killing themselves. =)
Note that those ads are from Europe and the public loves the crazy advertising here. In the US half of the ads would be banned because of 'nudity' and the other half because they're 'offensive'.

MetalAlien

Banned
Also I can't find it but the Saturn had an Ad with a naked man holding the console to cover his privates.

93_Atari_Jaguar_Ad2.jpg

Melchiah

[Nintex] said:
Note that those ads are from Europe and the public loves the crazy advertising here. In the US half of the ads would be banned because of 'nudity' and the other half because they're 'offensive'.

Yeah, the € behind the price kinda implied so. ;) Anyways, what you just said is the reason why Europe > USA.

I must be getting old because most, if not all, of these Sony ads are terrible, pretentious crap that doesn't make any sense. You could replace the PS2, PS3 for any other product brand without any loss of context, because there's none to begin with.

Probably, since the brand is well established, they can afford to waste thousands of $ in ads that barely inform about their product. It's so edgy!!

Why For?

Banned
Sony would take the overall crown simply because of the sheer number of shitty ads/campaigns over the years.

Ironically, they also have some of the best. The PS2 people mountain one was awesome.

That Blur commercial was awesome.

Reversed

Some of these are pretty good, no matter how gross or offensive they may get. Others are dull planned, like the Canadian MP2 commercial.

I cannot tell which ones are bad ads, but I prefer something that tells me "this is an experience" instead of "this is a game, buy it, 10/10 from randomsite dot com".

I knew what this was going to be before I clicked on it.

To be fair though, a system that (at the time) cost 599 U.S. Dollars and had no games (again, back in 2006) was a tough sell. Nintendo had the low cost market and motion controls, the 360 had pretty much what the PS3 had but with games and a cheaper price. So the only option was to try to creep people out, I guess.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I dont even

gaiares_(19).jpg

I remember this one from the old EGM days. I also remember where they had that nerdy video game champion as the spokesman for those bad Codemasters games. Throw in an ad for Chips & Bits and its 1990 all over again.

I remember the debate on which shmup was more rad between Gaiares and MUSHA. Too bad there were no message boards back then.

Yoshi's Island guy eats until he explodes commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AyE3EXTj58

How does this make me want the game?

Holy shit, I remember this. Jesus christ.

Most of the ones in this thread I remember. The ones I don't have been incredible.

I've owned virtually every Sony console, but I'm starting to think it's because I've been aware of the software I wanted and never paid attention to any of their ads.

90sRobots

screenshot.jpg

Yeah. DA: Redemption was pretty rough. Felicia Day always struck me as a slow adult so this just felt like the billionth fan film made by slow adults.

Also Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is awful.

Top Bottom