• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst/Most Difficult boss you ever fought?

WoJ

All my examples are from older games.

Final Fantasy IV on SNES - the Demon Wall killed me so many times as a kid. Golbez in the Dwarf Fortress also sucked.

Secret of Mana - Never finished this game as my friend and I could never beat the final boss.

Final Fantasy XIII - Barthandelus. Seriously, fuck this boss. Took forever to beat it.

All my examples are from older games.

Final Fantasy IV on SNES - the Demon Wall killed me so many times as a kid. Golbez in the Dwarf Fortress also sucked.

Secret of Mana - Never finished this game as my friend and I could never beat the final boss.

Final Fantasy XIII - Barthandelus. Seriously, fuck this boss. Took forever to beat it.
Maybe it was my wrong impression, and I don't know much about JRPGs... But my understanding is that is you grind more to up your party's stats, battles are much easier?

Or are your examples the sort of, "Yeah, even with your whole party at a good level, you still get wrecked by these bosses" kind of thing?

SeraphJan

I remember another one, try to beat the final boss of KOF 94 (Arcade version) on higher difficulty with the protagonist team, I have to consider it not even humanly possible. KOF 95 onward had nothing compare to 94

Last edited:

WoJ

Maybe it was my wrong impression, and I don't know much about JRPGs... But my understanding is that is you grind more to up your party's stats, battles are much easier?

Or are your examples the sort of, "Yeah, even with your whole party at a good level, you still get wrecked by these bosses" kind of thing?
For some of these probably.

The Demon Wall in FFIV was a timed boss where your party got insta killed if you didn't kill it fast enough. So grinding would have made that easier.

The Golbez fight was somewhat timed. You enter the fight with two party members and have to survive until a 3rd party member makes a triumphant return to save you. So you have to survive until then, and if memory serves me correct Golbez weakens you at the start of the battle. So levling doesn't help much in that situation.

Secret of Mana, you could probably grind levels, but it's been 25 years since I played that game. I can't recall if you reach a point where your level is so high it becomes nearly impossible to find enemies that give you enough XP to actually gain levels.

A huge part of FFXIII is on rails and I think you are limited in terms of how many encounters you have access too. If memory serves me correct the save point before the boss I reference locks you out of the ability to go back and grind.

I forgot to add Persona 3. I got to the last boss and died like 30 times and said fuck it. I didn't have the desire to grind more. Maybe one day I'll go back and fight that one again.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

It has to be this

tvkjqelky3l61.jpg
I raged on this asshole.

MadPanda

Banned
Defiled Amigdala in Bloodborne chalice dungeon. It can one shot you as your hp is halved in chalice dungeons iirc and it jumps into the air and onto your head while being the size of a tennis court. I think I lost more than 10 hours trying to beat it until I discovered a strategy on YouTube where you use certain sword which slashes overhead and I finally beat that boss. Wouldn't repeat again that's for sure. It's not worth it.

Sensei

Off the top of my head:
  • Absolute Radiance from Hollow Knight
  • Orphan of Kos from Bloodborne
  • Sigrùn from God of War (2018)
  • Hades from Hades

Last edited:

Paltheos

Spider Guardian

Metroid Prime 2

PTSD

It's been a long time since I played, but any time I replayed that game I made a point to sequence break for early power bombs. Mostly because early power bombs are really fun but at least a little because they trivialize that fight - Spider Guardian has no PB protection at all and a well-placed bomb is a one-shot kill.

REDRZA MWS

Nah, Shadow Link has no personality and exists for the purposes of one dungeon. You need sass and story relevance for a good rival archetype.

He's a doppelganger / guardian of the threshold / inner demon kind of deal at best.
Nah, shadow link will fuck your whole shit up….. since Zelda 2.

mQkaebt.jpg

CitizenZ

Banned
It took me over 2 hours of very. Careful. Playing to beat this fucker. At that point I almost just let him kill me but I killed the bastard.

I know my time is over 2 hrs but I would revisit daily for a try over and over(on Elite) but could never get the W. GG Radec, GG. Only other fight worthy is Heart of The Reich. Beating either (I beat HoR) w/o guides is a very worthy accomplishment to all who put in the severe pain and anguish it requires. DS is like kids play compared to these two, but just MO.

dcx4610

Senator Armstrong is one of the hardest bosses

This one for me. I had no problems beating several of the other hard games listed here but Senator Armstrong almost broke me. I think it tried for 3-4 hours straight and then gave up. I thought I was just going to admit defeat and move on which I've never been one to do. I tried again the next night and another 2 hours later, I finally beat him.

It was just how you had to play every section perfectly and if you screwed up, congrats, you get to repeat a 20 minute section again. An infuriating fight. It wasn't fun or rewarding to beat him. You just wanted it over and that's never good game design.

Last edited:

unclbenn

i beat the psycho mantis in mgs without calling the colonel and switching my controller port. took me a couple days and countless tries but i did it. it was only days later when i was talking to my friend over the phone did he tell me how he beat that boss fight, i was dumbstruck and proud of myself at the same time.

dave_d

revenge of shinobi end boss
Nah, he was easy. All you had to do was
Get 2 magic and a pow. Then cast the shield magic and kneel down and slash the hell out of him. When your shield wears off cast it again. Then slash until he dies.

dave_d

For some of these probably.

Secret of Mana, you could probably grind levels, but it's been 25 years since I played that game. I can't recall if you reach a point where your level is so high it becomes nearly impossible to find enemies that give you enough XP to actually gain levels.
I think you had to cast a specific spell to even be able to hurt him. (But once you did you did massive damage.)

dave_d

Oh I got to post one. The real final boss in the SNES Demon Crest. Never could beat him. Did see a youtube video and I know one thing I wasn't doing.

I wasn't switching modes while fighting him. I think I always stayed in the armored mode but I should have switched into modes that did more damage. He can take a lot of hits.

D dave_d appreciate the spoiler tags. That way if any of us ever want to beat whatever boss fair and square, we can come up with our own strategies.

Though I doubt anyone in this forum is gonna face off against the Demon's Crest final boss anytime soon :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Rickyiez

I guess I'll throw in Vergil 3 from Devil May Cry 3 , since he parallels the Jeanne encounter from the OP as both the climactic rival fight and most difficult encounter in the game when played on max difficulty:

Touch of death combos, immaculate spacing, massive health bar, health regen during devil trigger, the ability to take himself off the field and fill it with hitboxes while under the effects of said health regen, the list goes on.

Jump-canceled beowulf divekicks and various other exploity cancel tech are essentially mandatory if you want to make a dent in this guy.

One of the most difficult boss , but it's also one of the best (not worst)

gow3isben

Get Ready Trailer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

So OP as a boss she twisted the Internet to simp for her rival just to mentally cope.

”Guys, Radahn is the best!”
“Why?”
”He arguably defeated a blind woman with cancer!”
”That doesn’t sound impressive especially if it’s up for debate.”
”But she cheated by using magic bullshit!”
”So he doesn’t use magic?”
”No, he does. But he does it honorably. Like a proper duelist.”
”When I fought him he immediately began sniping my ass from a mile away.”
”……yes, but with honor.”
”Okay, sweetie, whatever helps you sleep at night.”

(to be clear, I liked Radahn fine enough, but the dick sucking from the fandom was really obnoxious)

Radahn was wrecking her until she nuked the planet and knocked herself out in the process. Sure rot made him loony but she needed to be saved by her henchmen brah. It isn't cope he was mentioned several times to be the strongest one even if the fight itself was inconclusive. Miyazaki's favorite is also Radahn.

In lore it goes Godfrey > Radahn > Melania > the rest. Placidisux and Maliketh are up there too I bet.

Also, he gave me more trouble than her personally I was very disappointed that I was able to beat her in 90 minutes when I took way longer for Placidisux or Elden Beast or Radahn.

Last edited:

joedan

Mike Tyson in Punch Out for the NES.

Only beat him once and knew I’d never be willing to go through that again.

supernova8

Banned
my flatmate in university who was practically unbeatable at FIFA 10 and FIFA 11. I remember beating him for the first and last time (a measly 1-0, and it was a really sweaty goal) and then vowed never to play him ever again.

Played him the next day and he trashed me 5-1, as usual.

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
I'd have to say the biotch on the wall in Resident Evil Revelations. It was like how the hell do I kill this thing, what the hell? Oh my god like over 40 times and finally I got it. Revelations 2 is millions easier.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Maybe emerald and ruby weapon in ff7? Maybe the first time I beat the ethereal queen in so4? (Once you do it once it becomes much easier though)

chigstoke

O&S in DS caused me tremendous grief, Gwyn was much, much easier by comparison for me.

For Bloodborne, I used to struggle a lot on Father Gascoigne, came back to the game last year on a fresh save and pissed Father Gascoigne first go.
Then Blood Starved Beast decided to be a pain in the arse.

Ultimately I'm going for O&S because I spent days on that pair of fuckers trying to beat them.

Zatzuken

May not be the hardest but definitely the hardest I fought in the series but the end boss from Resident Evil Revelations was stupid, and not needed, remake was a classic and the end boss was very manageable.

FUBARx89

AGREED. The toughest regular boss I've experienced in the Yakuza series, and honestly almost on par with Amon.

When you see the boss 's health bar and it's purple, gray, or white, you know you're in for a treat 😂

I dunno. Kiwami 1 boss at end was fucking horrific and a certain boss about half way through 3 was awful aswell. Then again Y3 combat sucks monkey balls.

I dunno. Kiwami 1 boss at end was fucking horrific and a certain boss about half way through 3 was awful aswell. Then again Y3 combat sucks monkey balls.
Good points. I still found the Yakuza 5 final boss to be more of a pain in the ass fight than the second to last boss in Kiwami 1.

But fully agree with you, Y3 combat sucks ass. I played the games in the in-universe chronological order, so going from Kiwami 2 to Y3 was... Painful 😂

May not be the hardest but definitely the hardest I fought in the series but the end boss from Resident Evil Revelations was stupid, and not needed, remake was a classic and the end boss was very manageable.
The latter parts of Revelations were so unmemorable that I can't even remember who the final boss was.

In fact I only remember two bosses -- the one dude that keeps yelling out "mayday, mayday" towards the beginning of the game. And Rachel Ooze. Those are the only two, the rest I forgot.

Zatzuken

The latter parts of Revelations were so unmemorable that I can't even remember who the final boss was.

In fact I only remember two bosses -- the one dude that keeps yelling out "mayday, mayday" towards the beginning of the game. And Rachel Ooze. Those are the only two, the rest I forgot.

It was the leader of the terrorist group turned himself into a tyrant that could disappear and reappear on top of you and also have ghost versions of himself at the same time

Doom85

Radahn was wrecking her until she nuked the planet and knocked herself out in the process. Sure rot made him loony but she needed to be saved by her henchmen brah. It isn't cope he was mentioned several times to be the strongest one even if the fight itself was inconclusive. Miyazaki's favorite is also Radahn.

In lore it goes Godfrey > Radahn > Melania > the rest. Placidisux and Maliketh are up there too I bet.

Also, he gave me more trouble than her personally I was very disappointed that I was able to beat her in 90 minutes when I took way longer for Placidisux or Elden Beast or Radahn.

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Like, bruh, why are you proving my point? I was just having fun and you went all “actually” on me.

But yes, congrats on the guy being possibly stronger than the blind lady with rot eating away at her body.

slow clap GIF

Also, I feel an individual who can “nuke the planet” (more like a country) is possessing more power than the one who can’t do that. Even the stars he held back ended up causing a smaller damage perimeter compared to the size of the country she hit (yes, that’s using the scale of the game’s environment which arguably isn’t meant to be the actual scale of the geography lore wise, but it’s all we have to go on).

gow3isben

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Like, bruh, why are you proving my point? I was just having fun and you went all “actually” on me.

But yes, congrats on the guy being possibly stronger than the blind lady with rot eating away at her body.

slow clap GIF

Also, I feel an individual who can “nuke the planet” (more like a country) is possessing more power than the one who can’t do that. Even the stars he held back ended up causing a smaller damage perimeter compared to the size of the country she hit (yes, that’s using the scale of the game’s environment which arguably isn’t meant to be the actual scale of the geography lore wise, but it’s all we have to go on).
And you proved you ain’t above discussing such power levels either homeslice

And Radahn was holding that stuff back for who knows how long

Top Bottom