• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst/Wierdest Gaming Peripherals In History?

Belfast

We discussed this a bit in the teamspeak chat the other night and I figured I'd open up the discussion to the rest of the forum. We all know that over the years, third parties have tried to capitalize on innovation by releasing some really strange shit or just oddly designed controllers that don't have much of a practical use.

While I know they aren't the worst, my votes go to the Turbo Touch 360 controller from the 8.16-bit days. These things had a "touch-sensitive" d-pad (OMG Nintendo copied!) instead of a traditional raised one. You were supposed to just slide your finger across in the direction you wanted to go, but in practice it was frustrating and lacked the tactile appeal that made the traditional d-pad so wonderful to use.

turbo_touch_360.jpg

The other one I remember is a one-handed RPG controller so you could use your other hand to flip through a strategy guide (noobs!). Of course, one could easily think of other situations where such a controller might just come in handy.

Brannon

R.O.B. for NES

Of course Nintendo only used it to get their foot in the door after Atari fcuked up the videogame sector. Fortunately it worked. Unfortunately videogames are still referred to as toys to this day. The very definition of a double-edged sword.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DJ Brannon said:
R.O.B. for NES

Of course Nintendo only used it to get their foot in the door after Atari fcuked up the videogame sector. Fortunately it worked. Unfortunately videogames are still referred to as toys to this day. The very definition of a double-edged sword.

ROB did not cause video games to be seen as toys. The demographic did.

Brannon

You used to play Pokemon at the mall and won first place all the time and you don't know what that is!?!?!

Your reactions to the U-Force sicken me.

koam

TigerKnee said:
Power glove and Activator

/thread

The power glove rocks. The problem with it is that the NES was not powerful enough to support it properly. People made 3D apps on the PC that worked with the powerglove and they were pretty cool. The power glove had the same 3d position tech as the wiimote except that the precision wasn't as fine tuned.

Az987

all good things
Ronabo said:
interactor_kit.jpg

Basicly all that piece of crap thing was nothing but a speaker that you wore.

Oh man I remember wanting that so bad as a kid but I always wondered what happens when your characther dies!! DO YOU DIE!?! :lol

Snookie

I remember the U-Force we had. We never really could get it to work and there were additional pieces you had to setup around it. I want to say it sold for close to $100. I know Powerglove was over 100 i believe.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Ronabo said:
interactor_kit.jpg

Basicly all that piece of crap thing was nothing but a speaker that you wore.

I wonder where mine is. I haven't seen it in several years. It hurt my back after I played too long.

MetalAlien

Banned
Robts in general, Sega/Nintendo whatever... robots! The trance thing would be cool if it came with that girl.

OH and I still have my Negcon, only the buttons are kinda wore out.

dreamkats said:
any turbo pad for 8/16bits systems

especially this one:

images

Oh, that reminds me:
the Ore Commander!

orecommander4eg.jpg

orecommander012en.jpg

And, while on the topic of bizarre Periborg/Hori stuff... the Shock-C!
shockc4yj.jpg

I want to buy these just to reward the insane, weirdo creativity involved in their creation.

Okay, but technically, the Game Boy is a peripheral for the (I think embroidery) machine. So over at the Sewing-Age Forums, the same picture is showing up in the "Worst/Weirdest Sewing Peripherals in History?" thread.

Top Bottom