• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would a '90s Tim Burton Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman movie have worked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric C

What do you think GAF? Would a 1990s Catwoman movie directed by Tim Burton, and starring Michelle Pfeiffer have worked? Or been successful?

For some background, one was sort of in the works
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...ver-happened-to-the-tim-burton-catwoman-movie

Over the last few weeks, the fascinating documentary The Death Of Superman Lives: What Happened? has successfully told the story of Tim Burton's never-made Superman film. But what went wrong with Catwoman?

Well, the project certainly got going and the ingredients were in place. Michelle Pfeiffer was left out of Batman Forever (as this 1993 Variety article confirms), with the idea being that her take on Catwoman would instead move into her own movie. Daniel Waters, screenwriter on Batman Returns, was hired to write the screenplay, and Tim Burton was seemingly attached to direct the film.

He signed a development deal with Warner Bros, and in 1994, he was weighing up whether to direct Catwoman or an adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's story, The Fall Of The House Of Usher. He would, of course, go on to make neither.

But Tim Burton's Catwoman did stay active for a while. In fact, Daniel Waters would turn in his draft of the screenplay in 1995.

Speaking to Film Review magazine in the summer of that year, he described the plot as "after the traumas of the Batman Returns she has amnesia, and she doesn't really remember why she has all these bullet holes in her body, so she goes to relax in Oasisburg. What Gotham City is to New York, Oasisburg is to Las Vegas-Los Angeles-Palm Springs. [It's a] resort area in the middle of the desert. It's run by superheroes, and the movie has great fun at making fun at the whole male superhero mythos. Then they end up being not very good at all deep down, and she's got to go back to that whole Catwoman thing".

Waters delivered his script on the day that Batman Forever was released in cinemas, and that film would go on to become the biggest grossing feature of 1995. It would also bring in more cash for Warner Bros than Batman Returns. Going down the darker path suddenly didn't seem to bode very well.

Eventually, the project ran out of steam, and both Pfeiffer and Burton would move on to other films. Warner Bros was more interested in pursuing the lighter world of Batman that director Joel Schumacher had uncovered.

1RuUZIA.gif

My opinion. I liked the Burton Batman movies at the time, and so far Pfeiffer has been my favorite onscreen Cawoman. So I would have liked to see Burton's take on a Catwoman spinoff.

I liked the Burton movies so I think it would have been alright, but Batman Returns grossed considerably less than Batman so you have to wonder if audiences were growing tired of Burton's version of the Bat-verse.

Fritz

I liked the Burton movies so I think it would have been alright, but Batman Returns grossed considerably less than Batman so you have to wonder if audiences were growing tired of Burton's version of the Bat-verse.

Funny considering it's the best of the pre bale era.

Sephzilla

Uuf9N3A.gif

It would have been better than the Halle Berry version but I'm not sure how much. After watching Batman Returns again recently I actually think her character is the weakest part of the movie.

Honestly, it sounds like an amazing concept. I'd love to see it explored in a comic, at least, but it's lost forever. I'd settle for reading the script.

kunonabi

Still my favorite incarnation of Catwoman so I would have been there day one. The script or story treatment supposedly floating around sounded terrible though.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I really liked Michelle Pfeiffer as Selina Kyle, but it really frustrates me how they keep bungling Catwoman on the silver screen. She's such a complex, interesting character but Hollywood keeps insisting on doing such weird versions of her.

First she was Michelle Pfeiffer wearing a weird latex suit that looked like it was made of trash bags, a ressurected immortal who's only goal is to take down the man who killed her.

Then she was Halle Berry, a corporate artist who somehow manages to obtain the superhuman abilities of the common cat.

THEN she was Anne Hathaway with an unflattering haircut, sporting some weird electronic headpiece and dressed up in some truly hideous catsuit that looked like a wardrobe reject from the Julie Newmar days. And I think she was after some kind of hard-drive? Eh, I can't remember.

I basically just want to see the Dwayne McDuffie version of Selina Kyle! Just a regular woman who dresses up at night only to rip off two bit gangsters just for kicks! I still don't feel we've seen that Selina in movie form yet personally, although Hathaway (as ugly as her costume was) has come the closest.

CDX

Still my favorite incarnation of Catwoman so I would have been there day one. The script or story treatment supposedly floating around sounded terrible though.

Well what's listed in the OP is from 1995 after Burton seemingly abandoned the project. Who knows, if Burton was still attached to it it may have went in a different direction.

I think a Burton/Pfeiffer Catwoman movie could have worked. But a success at the Box Office? I dunno Batman Returns made less than Burton's first Batman movie, so I don't know how well a Catwoman spinoff would have done financially. I would have liked to have seen it though.

Burton could do no wrong in the 90s as far as I'm concerned so I definitely would have been interested in seeing that

Pfeiffer's Selina Kyle was so good. I love how the Gotham version has a little kid that practically looks just like her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom