• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would it make financial sense for Sony to make one last,BIG PS3/PSVita store sale?

sublimit

Banned
I don't know how digital sales work and how much money a platform holder pays each time to various publishers in order to cut-off their prices but for those of you who know how these things work,do you think it would have been worth it for Sony to make one last PS3/PSVita store sale? Or do you think it wouldn't be worth the investment?

Are there any last PS3/PSVita digital games that you would be interested to buy for more logical prices than those the PS3/PSVita stores had for the last 4-5 years?

Bankai

I certainly hope so!!

But... I don't think they will. It would only generate more traffic and "noise". Sony doesn't want any attention drawn to this, so my guess Sony is like:

e229a859-e181-412d-993c-db5a0aae8287_text.gif

mitch1971

Aint gonna happen. There are DLC's for games older than 10 years on the ps3 store that are more expensive than the original release of the game and even the next gen goty remasters.

There's still some stuff for the ps3 I would grab off the store, but if there's no sales as we approach July I'll just buy most of them physical even if it costs more. I'd be willing to drop a decent amount of money if there was a sale and I'm sure others would as well, it's just Sony is probably gambling that more people will cave at the last moment and buy it full price.

NickFire

I'm guessing they don't want to provide any more customer support for the systems. If that is the case they should go out with a whimper and not a bang. If they do something to encourage sales, and then issues arise after they decide to minimize or eliminate support, it would be a field day for those who make a living writing hit pieces.

skit_data

I bought a ”broken” PS3 slim for $18 yesterday, fixed it up and it runs completely silent and has a working disc reader. My phat PS3 had a broken disc reader, but now i can play my old physical collection again!

I realized there are barely any 1st party games left in the PSN store though? All i can find is Assassins Creed 1-8383, Dead Space 1-3 and some indies?

OT: Yes, i think it would, i was looking to grab GT6 and the Resistance series.

Last edited:

Fbh

They can't force third parties to participate, but they could at least offer some nice sales on their first party stuff.

Doubt they will though. As others have said, they probably want as little attention to be put on this as possible.

jakinov

You would need a crystal ball in order to show that it makes financial sense. The people worried about not being able to get the game later are going to buy games anyways and I doubt there's a significant enough people out there waiting for a good deal on really old games to go out and buy them. For say a 50% reduction in prices; you would need at least double the volume of sales compared to if you did nothing just to "break even". There's the potential actually make less money. We can't say for sure. But in my opinion there's probably not a whole lot of people out there willing to buy PS3 games. And even when digital wasn't a thing, I don't think there was a big urgency demand for the average person to go and try and grab from the bargain/clearance in the fear they won't be able to buy again. At the end of the day you are also overly managing and putting a lot of effort for something for very little reward. Doing nothing is less work. Even if you triple your revenue by doing a promotion. It's triple of a grape when the time could be spent trying to tripling an orange or doubling a watermelon.

LMJ

Would it make sense?...no

-Publishers set the prices and Sony likely don't want to shell out the Cash (3rd party)

-They likely don't want to pay anything for marketing

-It's more coding to do on these old OS's

Should they?

Yes, if only to earn some good blood as there is a bizarre Sony hatred (the store BS at least makes sense here) and it would bring some goodwill, but I would understand why they wouldn't, but come on Sony be a pal

Come On Bubly Water GIF by bubly

Pantz

As I'm buying games on PS3 I'm wondering if Sony won't announce PS1-PS3 games coming to PS5 AFTER the PS3 store closes and people already spent money on it, and of course PS3 purchases won't transfer over due to limitations so it will be more like a reset.
Buying some anyway but I feel it could easily happen.

Perrott

Gold Member
I don't know how digital sales work and how much money a platform holder pays each time to various publishers in order to cut-off their prices but for those of you who know how these things work,do you think it would have been worth it for Sony to make one last PS3/PSVita store sale? Or do you think it wouldn't be worth the investment?

Are there any last PS3/PSVita digital games that you would be interested to buy for more logical prices than those the PS3/PSVita stores had for the last 4-5 years?
Yes.
  • [9.99] Blast Factor Bundle (131.5MB)
  • [4.49] Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 1 (419MB)
  • [9.99] Blue Toad Murder Files Episodes 2-6 (1,6GB)
  • [9.99] Calling All Cars (190.9MB)
  • [9.99] Chrono Cross (777.8MB)
  • [9.99] Chrono Trigger (281.5MB)
  • [19.99] Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut Ultimate Edition (11,3GB)
  • [5.99] Dino Crisis (247.9MB)
  • [5.99] Dino Crisis 2 (317.8MB)
  • [14.99] DYAD (1,3GB)
  • [9.99] Eat Them! (352MB)
  • [9.99] Echochrome (104MB)
  • [9.99] Everyday Shooter (37.3MB)
  • [9.99] Fatal Frame (2,6GB)
  • [9.99] Fatal Frame II (3,1GB)
  • [9.99] Fatal Frame III (2,9GB)
  • [9.99] Final Fantasy VI (192.3MB)
  • [9.99] Final Fantasy VII (1,3GB)
  • [9.99] Final Fantasy VIII (1,8GB)
  • [9.99] Final Fantasy IX (1,5GB)
  • [9.99] Final Fantasy Tactics (213.7MB)
  • [5.99] Flow (983.2MB)
  • [6.99] Flower (1,7GB)
  • [5.99] Front Mission 3 (321.4MB)
  • [9.99] God Hand (1,5GB)
  • [5.99] Legend Of Dragoon (1,1GB)
  • [2.99] Linger In Shadows (100.5MB)
  • [12.99] Magic Orbz Extreme Bundle (320.8MB)
  • [9.99] Metal Gear Solid (745MB)
  • [9.99] Pain (1,9GB)
  • [5.99] Parasite Eve (552.1MB)
  • [5.99] Parasite Eve II (774.5MB)
  • [9.99] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (440.5MB)
  • [9.99] Persona 3: FES (4,3GB)
  • [9.99] Persona 4 (4,1GB)
  • [4.99] PixelJunk Eden (106.8MB)
  • [4.99] PixelJunk Monsters (63.4MB)
  • [6.99] PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap (36.7MB)
  • [9.99] PixelJunk Shooter (107.2MB)
  • [9.99] PixelJunk Shooter 2 (123.3MB)
  • [14.99] Puppeteer (6,3GB)
  • [14.99] Rain (2,1GB)
  • [9.99] Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction (15,8GB)
  • [14.99] Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest For Booty (2,3GB)
  • [9.99] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time (18,6GB)
  • [9.99] Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus (8,9GB)
  • [9.99] Resident Evil: Director’s Cut (298.9MB)
  • [9.99] Resident Evil 2 (756.8MB)
  • [9.99] Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (365.1MB)
  • [19.99] Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (2,4GB)
  • [9.99] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (3GB)
  • [9.99] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 (3,6GB)
  • [9.99] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (4,3GB)
  • [9.99] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (4,4GB)
  • [9.99] Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (4GB)
  • [5.99] Silent Hill (294MB)
  • [9.99] Siren (4,3GB)
  • [19.99] Siren: Blood Curse Episodes 1-12 (8,9GB)
  • [9.99] Starhawk (12,9GB)
  • [9.99] Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge Of The Sith (2,6GB)
  • [5.99] Suikoden (331.6MB)
  • [9.99] Suikoden II (314.9MB)
  • [9.99] Suikoden III (4GB)
  • [9.99] Suikoden IV (4,1GB)
  • [6.99] Super Rub A Dub (186.8MB)
  • [9.99] The Last Guy (612MB)
  • [14.99] Tokyo Jungle (2,5GB)
  • [4.99] Trash Panic (1,1GB)
  • [5.99] Vagrant Story (96MB)
  • [5.99] Vib-Ribbon (26.6MB)
  • [9.99] Xenogears (723.6MB)
  • [12.99] When Vikings Attack Special Edition (1,2GB)
I need either a sale or a second job 😭😭😭

Agent X

From what I understand, the problem is that Sony doesn't allow digital game publishers to put PS3, PSP, or PS Vita games on sale any longer, unless it happens to be a cross-buy game with PS4 or PS5. Apparently, it has been like this since late 2019. That's why some sites or forum posts that report on PS Store sales will highlight the cross-buy games, so that users of the older systems can see what's available to them.

Sony should lift this restriction, and allow publishers to start putting PS3/PSP/Vita games on sale if they want. Even if Sony doesn't want to give out any discounts themselves, at least allow third parties to do so.

Sony's possible logic against doing a blowout firesale (and I'm not saying I agree with this) would be assuming that anyone who's still really devoted to these aging systems will scramble at the bitter end to pay "whatever" price for games that will soon be permanently off the market. In their eyes, "whatever" price might as well be full price. Why take a $10 game and sell it for $2 or $4? If someone really wants that game badly enough, he'll pay the $10. Dropping it to $2 or $4 now would just be straight up losing money.

The alternative perspective (which is what I would align with) is this: If those games have been available for so many years and the consumer still didn't buy it by now, then you might as well give it a deep discount and see if he'll take the bait. Selling a $10 game for $2 is still getting you $2 that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Better to sell it cheap than to not sell it at all. This is why some publishers may be in favor of putting their games on sale--it's their last opportunity to do so, and would gain them a little extra income.

I have a special spot for Daxter and MegaMan Powered Up. I would get the Platinum for them on PS Now if they released them there with Trophies. They PSP games though.

EDMIX

Yes.
  • [9.99] Blast Factor Bundle (131.5MB)
  • [4.49] Blue Toad Murder Files Episode 1 (419MB)
  • [9.99] Blue Toad Murder Files Episodes 2-6 (1,6GB)
  • [9.99] Calling All Cars (190.9MB)
  • [9.99] Chrono Cross (777.8MB)
  • [9.99] Chrono Trigger (281.5MB)
  • [19.99] Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut Ultimate Edition (11,3GB)
  • [5.99] Dino Crisis (247.9MB)
  • [5.99] Dino Crisis 2 (317.8MB)
  • [14.99] DYAD (1,3GB)
  • [9.99] Eat Them! (352MB)
  • [9.99] Echochrome (104MB)
  • [9.99] Everyday Shooter (37.3MB)
  • [9.99] Fatal Frame (2,6GB)
  • [9.99] Fatal Frame II (3,1GB)
  • [9.99] Fatal Frame III (2,9GB)
  • [9.99] Final Fantasy VI (192.3MB)
  • [9.99] Final Fantasy VII (1,3GB)
  • [9.99] Final Fantasy VIII (1,8GB)
  • [9.99] Final Fantasy IX (1,5GB)
  • [9.99] Final Fantasy Tactics (213.7MB)
  • [5.99] Flow (983.2MB)
  • [6.99] Flower (1,7GB)
  • [5.99] Front Mission 3 (321.4MB)
  • [9.99] God Hand (1,5GB)
  • [5.99] Legend Of Dragoon (1,1GB)
  • [2.99] Linger In Shadows (100.5MB)
  • [12.99] Magic Orbz Extreme Bundle (320.8MB)
  • [9.99] Metal Gear Solid (745MB)
  • [9.99] Pain (1,9GB)
  • [5.99] Parasite Eve (552.1MB)
  • [5.99] Parasite Eve II (774.5MB)
  • [9.99] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (440.5MB)
  • [9.99] Persona 3: FES (4,3GB)
  • [9.99] Persona 4 (4,1GB)
  • [4.99] PixelJunk Eden (106.8MB)
  • [4.99] PixelJunk Monsters (63.4MB)
  • [6.99] PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap (36.7MB)
  • [9.99] PixelJunk Shooter (107.2MB)
  • [9.99] PixelJunk Shooter 2 (123.3MB)
  • [14.99] Puppeteer (6,3GB)
  • [14.99] Rain (2,1GB)
  • [9.99] Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction (15,8GB)
  • [14.99] Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest For Booty (2,3GB)
  • [9.99] Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time (18,6GB)
  • [9.99] Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus (8,9GB)
  • [9.99] Resident Evil: Director’s Cut (298.9MB)
  • [9.99] Resident Evil 2 (756.8MB)
  • [9.99] Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (365.1MB)
  • [19.99] Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (2,4GB)
  • [9.99] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (3GB)
  • [9.99] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 (3,6GB)
  • [9.99] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (4,3GB)
  • [9.99] Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 (4,4GB)
  • [9.99] Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (4GB)
  • [5.99] Silent Hill (294MB)
  • [9.99] Siren (4,3GB)
  • [19.99] Siren: Blood Curse Episodes 1-12 (8,9GB)
  • [9.99] Starhawk (12,9GB)
  • [9.99] Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge Of The Sith (2,6GB)
  • [5.99] Suikoden (331.6MB)
  • [9.99] Suikoden II (314.9MB)
  • [9.99] Suikoden III (4GB)
  • [9.99] Suikoden IV (4,1GB)
  • [6.99] Super Rub A Dub (186.8MB)
  • [9.99] The Last Guy (612MB)
  • [14.99] Tokyo Jungle (2,5GB)
  • [4.99] Trash Panic (1,1GB)
  • [5.99] Vagrant Story (96MB)
  • [5.99] Vib-Ribbon (26.6MB)
  • [9.99] Xenogears (723.6MB)
  • [12.99] When Vikings Attack Special Edition (1,2GB)
I need either a sale or a second job 😭😭😭

True.

Its going to be down to the publishers, they ok those sales.

I'd focus on the rare stuff and PS1 classics. Persona 1,2,3,4, all the Shin Megami titles, Suikoden, Xenogears, Vagrant Story etc. I don't know about the PS1 FF titles as they exist on PS4 (I think FFIX has a PS4 port, I might be confused with FFVIII though)

I'd focus on the early ones like FFV, FFVI etc.

I'd even ignore stuff like Ratchet that already have collections on disk and likely will get remasters as its popular enough.

Fox Mulder

If they cared, they wouldn’t have killed the web store before this. They removed the ability to easily buy these games from your phone or app before this shutdown was even leaked.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The problem now is that publishers can't "OK" sale prices any longer for PS3/PSP/Vita games that aren't cross-buy with PS4/PS5. Sony doesn't allow it.

Thats news to me, Sony said they won't allow publishers to have sales? When?

Agent X

Thats news to me, Sony said they won't allow publishers to have sales? When?

Since late 2019.

I've read this on other sites (maybe here, too), and I believe some developers/publishers also confirmed this on Twitter. They won't put any PS3/PSP/Vita game on sale unless it's cross-buy with PS4/PS5. Publishers have wanted to drop the price or offer a discount, but Sony doesn't permit it. Maybe they just don't want to be bothered with whatever maintenance is needed for the PS Store on the old systems.

Cravis

Yeah they don't want people remembering how shitty the PS3 store and how you download and install things work. Jumped on there last night to grab a few things, mainly the Elevator Action and Choplifter HD DLC I was missing, and forgot how stupid it all was. Even back then on X Box you'd download something and it'd install. Download a bunch of stuff then go and install them separately. Pain in my ass.

SegaShack

I'm not buying into their service that'll shut down.

Yes for now you can redownload your titles, but for how long. No thanks. CFW wins.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Of course it would make sense. In fact with all that has gone on recently, if i were Sony i would give away a ton of PS3 and Vita games, as a bit of goodwill to the fanbase. I mean the stores are shutting anyway so its not like its going to leave a big hole in their financies doing it.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I wonder how much it really costs for them to continue to support keeping the store open and make more money that way in the long run. Or if it's just a method to force people to move on and away from old systems.

The infrastructure is already there, surely they must make some profit from digital sales.

xrnzaaas

It probably makes more sense for them to avoid doing anything for now since some people are willing to buy the games at full price before they're gone. Some of my friends have already done that.

cireza

Banned
People are going to buy stuff like crazy, while we actually have signs of things to disappear in the near future. Talk about being smart.

sublimit

Banned
It probably makes more sense for them to avoid doing anything for now since some people are willing to buy the games at full price before they're gone. Some of my friends have already done that.
It would have been interesting if we had some actual numbers regarding sales on PS3/Vita stores since the announcement. I'm very curious if there was any significant rise in sales and interest in general. Are people really talking with their wallets or is it just noise from a small group of hardcore fans on forums and social media?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wouldn't be a shitty move though?

You won't be able to redownload them or do updates to play them again it would be throwing money out the drain.

Sony has thought about a solution though. Remember the rent games on ps4 commercial? Get ready for

55l1v3.jpg

sublimit

Banned
Wouldn't be a shitty move though?
You won't be able to redownload them or do updates to play them again it would be throwing money out the drain.
I can download everything in my library and Sony officially stated that you'll be able to download everything that you have in your download list. And every single game i have tested Including 2 from that thread downloads its patches just fine.

Will we always be able to download them?Well "always" is a big word and we can not talk what hypothetically a company may do in 20-30years from now. But they cannot lie and disable the option to download your games in a few years from now.

It would have been interesting if we had some actual numbers regarding sales on PS3/Vita stores since the announcement. I'm very curious if there was any significant rise in sales and interest in general. Are people really talking with their wallets or is it just noise from a small group of hardcore fans on forums and social media?

Sony has the numbers. I for one believe that they wouldn't shut down the store if they made money from it.

Majukun

don't think so because people genuinely interested in buying a digital game before it's not possible anymore (like for example digital edition of rare and expensive games or games that you cannot buy elsewhere), will buy no matter what because the alternative is no game at all or really expensive.

the rest of the world will probably not even notice the store is closed because they don't routinely use their ps3 and psp anymore

Orta

Banned
Absolutely. But Sony wouldn't piss on its customers if they were burning so ain't going to happen.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I can download everything in my library and Sony officially stated that you'll be able to download everything that you have in your download list. And every single game i have tested Including 2 from that thread downloads its patches just fine.

Will we always be able to download them?Well "always" is a big word and we can not talk what hypothetically a company may do in 20-30years from now. But they cannot lie and disable the option to download your games in a few years from now.
I see. Then what's the big deal other than its shitty you can buy them after this.

Some here made it sound like patches and updates wouldn't be available anymore.

But again, if what you say are true, then why remove the store in the first place?

sublimit

Banned
I see. Then what's the big deal other than its shitty you can buy them after this.

Some here made it sound like patches and updates wouldn't be available anymore.

But again, if what you say are true, then why remove the store in the first place?
I guess the costs of maintening an almost dead and unprofitable store are not the same of being able only to download games from your download list.

As for patches all i know is that they work now (even for games that PSNprofiles falsely said that they don't). What will happen next regarding patches after the stores go down is anyone's guess. But if someone really cares about these games (be it games he already has or those he will download from the store in the next months) he should make sure he installs them and downloads the latest patches. Thankfully most PS3 games don't take too much HD space unless you went fully digital back then.In that case you'll obviously need a second interior Hard Disk for swapping (which is very easy with the Super Slim models).

Top Bottom