• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would power outage damage a console?

Berksy

Pretty basic
stupid
question. My area's electricity getting cut for a few days now. Hours not announced. Building switches to generator but of course PS4 gets shut down while gaming/sleep mode. Would it cause any damage to the system except corrupt save files?

Wanny1

Neo Member
In my old apartment on a power bar, I once got a power outage and it bricked my PS4 while it was in rest.

Could have been a coincidence tho?

I mean, there's always that possibility, especially if it's downloading updates or something when the power gets cut. Your best bet is to get a UPS or start actually turning the console off.

A UPS like this one has more than enough juice to keep the PS4 alive during minor power outages. I got one when they were doing a lot of power work in my old neighborhood and the power kept flickering.

GLAMr

It's the power coming back on that's the problem. Power can return above/below nominal voltage which can cause damage to sensitive electronics. It's a good idea to turn your devices off at the wall if you lose power.

Javier

Yeah, it's usually the electricity coming back that can bust stuff up due to the sudden surge of power. I lost a PC because of that once.

When there's a blackout, I usually unplug as much stuff as possible. Then when you know everything is back to normal you can safely plug back.

nkarafo

Yeah, it's usually the electricity coming back that can bust stuff up due to the sudden surge of power. I lost a PC because of that once.

When there's a blackout, I usually unplug as much stuff as possible. Then when you know everything is back to normal you can safely plug back.
I do that too but it's the sneaky, sudden power surges that happen without a power cut warning that do all the damage.

I do that too but it's the sneaky, sudden power surges that happen without a power cut warning that do all the damage.

Yep, it's exactly why all of my sensitive electronics are on a good surge protector and a small UPS. My home also has a whole-house surge protector built in, so I have a triple layer of protection

Xearo

Neo Member
Yes it can, lost a 360 and had to get a new power supply for my pc, now I'm on surge protectors and if the power goes out I jump up and unplug everything until after the power comes back

Tecnniqe

Banned
I had my Xbox One plugged into a surge protector. During a storm there must have been lightning nearby because both the TV and Xbox One power brick shit itself.

I then found out that you shouldn't plug the Xbox One into a surge protector, as the power brick has its own.
Daisy chaining surge protectors tend to work against itself :3

Actually didn't know XB1 had built in SP in the power brick.

Berksy

I dont know if the building has surge protection but the generator shut downs and switches back to city line when power comes back so maybe surges are regulated lol

ZangBa

Pretty sure one broke my ethernet port. I have a surge protector and it wasn't even storming outside. Typical Florida infrastructure.

Top Bottom