• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would releasing Cyberpunk with these stickers on the box. Have made any difference to CDPR's reputation?

SamFo

qju5uxck6t761.png

I've been thinking about this a fair bit recently.

Obviously CDPR and Cyberpunk 'went gold' earlier this year, before yet another delay.
They were at the crossroads as to whether or not they release the game this year, and in the end decided to, but it really hurt their reputation due to bugs and performance.

But what if they said - Fuck it. Go print a few million of these early access stickers. Slap them on the box. And do another yellow apology that reads something like.

Unfortunately, we are delaying CyberPunk 2077 into 2021.
We know you are eager to play the game.
That's why we are offering everyone the chance to play via early access this year.

We are giving all gamers who purchase early access a 'free upgrade' to the full version when it's released in 2021...

I honestly feel like this keeps everyone happy.

Shareholders get their money.
CDPR Stans get to play their game.
Any bugs/performance can be hand waved away as early access troubles.

THEAP99

Banned
Yep. It still would have proved the incompetence of the studio, but it would've saved some major damage control as they would have been open and honest with selling Cyberpunk as a service game. Unlike now, where they tried passing it off as a complete single-player experience when in reality it's live service in disguise.

I also think they need to eventually sell discs that are all fully patched up. Like a goty edition sometime later i guess.

Last edited:

Fbh

Probably, or if nothing else the backlash wouldn't have been as bad and they would have avoided the whole refund debacle

Though I honestly don't know if time will fix all the issues with the game. Patches will improve bugs and glitches but I'm still not convinced this game will ever not be an ugly, blurry, low res , 20fps crapfest on base PS4 and Xb1.

They should have either scaled back the game to the point it works well on PS4/X1, or just cancelled that version.

It's still BS. Early Access for a single-player campaign?

No. Release your game when it's ready. Otherwise, it should be reviewed and judged by consumers in the state as it's in whenever it is being sold.

Lots of single player games go through early access.

Hades was in early access for over a year before actually launching and Baldur's Gate 3 is doing the same.

I personally don't see the appeal, but at least it's being honest about the state of the game and consumers can make a more informed purchase.

Lots of single player games go through early access.

Hades was in early access for over a year before actually launching and Baldur's Gate 3 is doing the same.

I personally don't see the appeal, but at least it's being honest about the state of the game and consumers can make a more informed purchase.

Are they for sale at full price? I honestly don't know.

If so, "early access" doesn't mean anything but, "our game is broken, pay us anyway".

Rikkori

What would've helped is for them to have budgeted time better in order to get the early patches we got now which have made a substantial difference for last-gen consoles in particular, at release. The game is fine on newer consoles, and damn good on PC otherwise. XB1(X) & PS4(P) will never get a totally locked 30 in this game, they're just too shit, and for them to have made that possible would've required so much effort that it wouldn't have been worth it.
What they've already achieved is very, very substantial both in quantity & quality, and while people are hungry for more (me included), the reality is that to get more would've required quite a few more years & gutting last-gen altogether and that just wouldn't have been feasible (business wise). Or at least would've required a lot of MTX as additions for lifetime revenue (if they were to launch this year but only on PC + next-gen).

The simple fact of the matter is they didn't have enough time, and there's no way they could've gotten it anyway. The Witcher revenue was nice but nowhere near enough for the amount of people they've got going, GOG brings in peanuts (as does Gwent) and otherwise they have no real cash-cow to sustain that level of development. Instead they decided to release it earlier, with less content/systems than perhaps they (and all of us) would have wished, and got a few hundred millies in the bank with which they can now plan further for both Cyberpunk 2077, the multiplayer version, and Witcher, and whatever else they might want to work on. The reason Rockstar could take their sweet time with GTA V & RDR 2 (especially) is because they had already managed to stack their bank to overflow while for CDPR they're just starting. As the saying goes, money makes the world go round. Applicable to devs too.

mother nature spinning GIF by ptrzykd

mr.dilya

Banned
Don't mean to thread wine but I am going to a little bit...the Cyberpunk threads really need to be culled at this point. It's starting to affect the overall experience of browsing this forum - looking for interesting topics and having to sift through 15 Cyberpunk threads on the first page is annoying. The dust on the game has settled for the most part and most of this stuff should be relegated to the official OT.

EDMIX

qju5uxck6t761.png

I've been thinking about this a fair bit recently.

Obviously CDPR and Cyberpunk 'went gold' earlier this year, before yet another delay.
They were at the crossroads as to whether or not they release the game this year, and in the end decided to, but it really hurt their reputation due to bugs and performance.

But what if they said - Fuck it. Go print a few million of these early access stickers. Slap them on the box. And do another yellow apology that reads something like.

Unfortunately, we are delaying CyberPunk 2077 into 2021.
We know you are eager to play the game.
That's why we are offering everyone the chance to play via early access this year.

We are giving all gamers who purchase early access a 'free upgrade' to the full version when it's released in 2021...

I honestly feel like this keeps everyone happy.

Shareholders get their money.
CDPR Stans get to play their game.
Any bugs/performance can be hand waved away as early access troubles.

Funny enough, I think so.

I'm not as mad at simply bugs, glitches, crashes, broken quest or missing features, I'm more so upset how they've been massively deceptive regarding them. The huge lack of transparency literally has them being sued by investors.

This is the same stance I had on No Man Sky, I'm fine with GAAS, still in working condition, beta, early access etc so long as the CONSUMER knows about this. To go soooooo far with so many lies about just how much content is missing, cut, omitted is pretty much in fraud territory. I find it very hard to believe this company didn't know the state of their own game.

Captain Toad Captain Toad I agree, its basically trying to turn consumers into free beta testers. This is a single player title, to say the cop chases don't exist but shit give us more time, but please buy it now is extremely scummy.

Is Ubisoft making people wait to get car chases in Watchdogs or?

Last edited:

Fbh

Are they for sale at full price? I honestly don't know.

If so, "early access" doesn't mean anything but, "our game is broken, pay us anyway".

Baldur's gate is. Not sure if Hades was. Though early access releases tend to be a bit cheaper.

And yeah it literally means "our game is unfinished, but you can pay us anyway if you want to play it now".

Which is at least more honest than selling an unfinished game that's advertised as a finished product

Baldur's gate is. Not sure if Hades was. Though early access releases tend to be a bit cheaper.

And yeah it literally means "our game is unfinished, but you can pay us anyway if you want to play it now".

Which is at least more honest than selling an unfinished game that's advertised as a finished product

I'm fine with that, UNLESS the publisher is demanding reviewers not review their game at that point. If the game is being sold, people have the right to see reviews before making a purchase, whether or ot they slap on a "Early Access" sticker.

EDMIX

What would've helped is for them to have budgeted time better in order to get the early patches we got now which have made a substantial difference for last-gen consoles in particular, at release. The game is fine on newer consoles, and damn good on PC otherwise. XB1(X) & PS4(P) will never get a totally locked 30 in this game, they're just too shit, and for them to have made that possible would've required so much effort that it wouldn't have been worth it.
What they've already achieved is very, very substantial both in quantity & quality, and while people are hungry for more (me included), the reality is that to get more would've required quite a few more years & gutting last-gen altogether and that just wouldn't have been feasible (business wise). Or at least would've required a lot of MTX as additions for lifetime revenue (if they were to launch this year but only on PC + next-gen).

The simple fact of the matter is they didn't have enough time, and there's no way they could've gotten it anyway. The Witcher revenue was nice but nowhere near enough for the amount of people they've got going, GOG brings in peanuts (as does Gwent) and otherwise they have no real cash-cow to sustain that level of development. Instead they decided to release it earlier, with less content/systems than perhaps they (and all of us) would have wished, and got a few hundred millies in the bank with which they can now plan further for both Cyberpunk 2077, the multiplayer version, and Witcher, and whatever else they might want to work on. The reason Rockstar could take their sweet time with GTA V & RDR 2 (especially) is because they had already managed to stack their bank to overflow while for CDPR they're just starting. As the saying goes, money makes the world go round. Applicable to devs too.

mother nature spinning GIF by ptrzykd

I agree with the first point, I'm playing on PS4 Pro and day 1 it was just straight up unplayable. After 1.04 and 1.05 the framerate is waaaaay more stable and the game looks a lot better, but I agree with your first point which is why I'm going to have to disagree with this next point.

I don't feel they ever needed to "gutting last-gen altogether" because I simply never saw anything in this game that even screamed this can't work on PS4 and XONE, which is why I'm ok with my PS4 Pro run of the game, it was made for current gen in the first place and this isn't the first open world game with cars, crime, shooting etc for anyone to really entertain it not being able to work on current gen with larger open world games with more features clearly working on those systems. I think their issue is more so with the development trouble and not really with PS4 and XONE. It would question how everyone else is able to make a open world game that is running and playable on PS4 and XONE besides them. Rockstar isn't the only one able to put out open world games that work on PS4 and XONE, look at Watchdogs 3...

If you mean because by then the systems would be too old.....maybe, but consumers would still love them and even argue just how PRO CONSUMER they are by not leaving behind the last gen consumers and sticking to the promise they made years ago. New hardware existing doesn't mean old hardware stopped existing or something.

I agree that they didn't have enough time, but only based on how this management even treated them. It doesn't sound like such a world needs THIS much time for developers, it sounds like it needs this much time for CDPR IN GENERAL, as imagine saying a smaller Watchdogs in first person would take them double the time and have them have less features or something. GTAV was made in about 4 and a half years, but clearly that is because they are Rockstar.

Maybe that management thought legit they could just do the same and really didn't provide the resources needed, as I'm starting to question if they even paid the team ENOUGH to do what they are asking and then are acting surprised when the game has so many broken or missing features.

The last point is the most scummy thing of all, they simply forgot about this whole "its done when its done" and "we leave the greed to others". They threw that whole thing out the window with this early access stuff.

Ovek

7Member7
What they should have done is release it on PC first, ironed out all the bugs over a couple of months and then released it on consoles (with a next gen patch in tow). Sure it would have pissed of the investors but I'm sure they are significantly more pissed at the moment.

On closed platforms early access type games should only be allowed under these conditions:

- Can't be full price and up to 30 days full refund.

MrS

Banned
CDPR "we have to delay the game"
Fans "fuck you for delaying the game"
CDPR "fuck it release this pos"
Fans "why the fuck is it not done"
This is a cop out for CDPR. When have fans ever decided the release date of a video game? They themselves have said that outside influences had minimal effect on when/how they released. "Blame the fans" rhetoric is bullshit.

lucius

As long as they showed base console versions also it would have been a decent compromise but I not sure as many people would have bought it on base. Their whole purpose for lying and misleading was for sales whether that was only a couple top executives that wanted it or one they put themselves in this.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nah it wouldn't matter cause people will still have shit on it.

i know there's a lot of money to be made with PS4/XB1 consoles but they should've just abandoned last gen versions and told the whiny console kids to get mummy + daddy to buy them a PS5/XSX if they want to play it.

make it timed PC exclusive until they could've got the current gen versions out some time in 2021. the game is fine on PC so no point holding that back. just tell everyone that consoles will come later. the game is designed primarily for PC which is CDPR's biggest market so while it'll have sucked to lose out on PS4/XB1 money they'd still make a shit load of lettuce from PC.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I think it would've been better had they not released a buggy, unoptimized game for money.

They also deceived paying costumers by not showing off how the game actually looked and performed on last gen consoles till the very last minute.
Going as far as not allowing reviewers to even show any bugs and issues in their reviews.

Slapping a sticker on the cover wouldn't change that.

This is a cop out for CDPR. When have fans ever decided the release date of a video game? They themselves have said that outside influences had minimal effect on when/how they released. "Blame the fans" rhetoric is bullshit.
It's not a "cop out" it's a post making fun of all the impatient children that were upset at another delay and sent death threats to CDPR

Graciaus

EA to me is a skip but I'll buy it right before the price increases if I was going to get it. I'm not interested in beta testing things or playing half a game.

I don't think EA even exists on consoles so most would either ignore that or not know. Nothing would change.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
CDPR sucks for their last few weeks (I care less about the game and more about them bowing to the Chinese Communist Party) but personally, I just shelved it and started playing something else. This isn’t the N64 era where there were game droughts. I have way too many games to play these days. Get your refund, let them fix it, check it out in March.

If you kept your preorder when they delayed it after the game went gold and were still surprised at the state of the game on release... lol

Last edited:

GrayChild

Don't let this distract you from the fact that Cyberpunk 2077 is still a million times better than the vast majority of the other AAA trash, even in its current incomplete state.

Bartski

Gold Member
No. What would have made a difference is if they'd put the game on hold for at least another year and focus on developing the game they intended to make

CDPR "we have to delay the game"
Fans "fuck you for delaying the game"
CDPR "fuck it release this pos"
Fans "why the fuck is it not done"
You left out the part where CDPR says the game runs well on base PS4 and Xbox One and that it would be done on release day.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Its a broken game for PS4 and will be this way for ever unless you play it with an empty city lazy A.I. low resolution and ugly FPS.

There is no way to fix it.

perkelson

You left out the part where CDPR says the game runs well on base PS4 and Xbox One and that it would be done on release day.
Because it runs well. 90% of game is played in interiors where game runs 30fps it is only some parts of open world that have issues and framerates go down. Other stuff like popin and bugs also aren't that frequent, they are mostly graphical glitches.

People don't seem to remember TW3 on PS4 running 18-22fps in swamps which was later patched.

Also game is finished. Only people who didn't play it can claim it is not. Because they didn't play game and don't understand what is in game.

Last edited:
Because it runs well. 90% of game is played in interiors where game runs 30fps it is only some parts of open world that have issues and framerates go down. Other stuff like popin and bugs also aren't that frequent, they are mostly graphical glitches.
Dude, I've watched someone play the game on PS4 for nearly 2 hours this past weekend. It looks and runs like ass at all times. It has a 53% average on Metacritic for a reason.

perkelson

Dude, I've watched someone play the game on PS4 for nearly 2 hours this past weekend. It looks and runs like ass at all times. It has a 53% average on Metacritic for a reason.

You've watched someone play huh ? Reminds me all of those "I watched TLOU1 playtrough gameplay is shit" back in the day.
Like i said game is 90% interiors missions and runs much better than you think.

Moreover 25 fps for console games isn't anything new it is those sub 20 in few city locations that are annoying

You've watched someone play huh ? Reminds me all of those "I watched TLOU1 playtrough gameplay is shit" back in the day.
Like i said game is 90% interiors missions and runs much better than you think.

Moreover 25 fps for console games isn't anything new it is those sub 20 in few city locations that are annoying
I didn't watch some shitty Youtube playthrough, I sat next to someone while they were playing the game. I think the game runs like shit because I saw it run like shit with my own eyes. So no, it doesn't run better than I think. And "It's just the open world parts that run like shit" is no excuse when you're talking about an open world game.

Top Bottom